The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many gun/shooting enthusiasts do we have here?

+20
shekkian
ThomasEversole
Driven
Blake
sentient 6
Hardcore Christian
Black Rider
Andreas89
New Creation
stringfellow_hawke
bassdude
_wes
guilty/forgiven
DavidCoats80
hellig
AlbertPike
d@v!d
Shao_Kahn
Kerrick
alldatndensum
24 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

How many gun/shooting enthusiasts do we have here? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many gun/shooting enthusiasts do we have here?

Post by bassdude Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Very nice!
bassdude
bassdude
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

How many gun/shooting enthusiasts do we have here? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many gun/shooting enthusiasts do we have here?

Post by Kerrick Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:24 pm

Thanks!  Haha I got it on now and am practicing my draw in my kitchen...  What a Face

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri May 12, 2017 4:23 pm

Well so we don't take over the "introduce yourself" thread, I'll necro this thread that Alldat started.  flower

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat May 13, 2017 8:46 am

Since I started this thread, I got rid of the .44 that I had.  It just hurt to shoot so I didn't really enjoy it.  I traded it in on a new Ruger 9 mm.  Much better, and it has plenty of stopping force.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stringfellow_hawke Sun May 14, 2017 5:06 pm

I own several and carry.
stringfellow_hawke
stringfellow_hawke
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Sun May 14, 2017 8:35 pm

Me.
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu May 18, 2017 2:57 pm

So I went round and round and round, trying to find a good gun for home defense that adheres to California’s stupid laws, the stupid rules imposed by our landlords*, and something my wife can be comfortable shooting.  I almost went with the M1 Carbine but after doing some more research, getting a quality/reliable one is apparently near impossible.  Otherwise that gun would’ve been ideal.  So yesterday I just went ahead and bought a Ruger Mini 14.  It seems a bit silly to get something that my AR-15 does better in every way… but it’s CA-kosher (with detachable magazines), has an action my wife likes better, and I think will be a fun plinker that my wife can enjoy using for fun too.  I got the wood stock and stainless barrel/components.  Unfortunately, I have to wait until it arrives to the gun store and then start my paperwork.  California has a 10-day waiting period which starts once the paperwork is completed.  Sigh… I’ll have to be patient for a little while more before I can finally take it to the range.  But I’m excited to finally have this figured out.  Now I need to find a good quick-access lockbox/safe solution…

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Fri May 19, 2017 3:58 am

I would love to shoot a gun once. I remember back when I was in a drum band; the building next to our rehearsal building was a club for shooting fanatics. Heard some awesome bangs there from time to time.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri May 19, 2017 11:53 am

Come on over to the US to visit and we'll take ya shooting.  afro

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Fri May 19, 2017 12:15 pm

In California? Ha!
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri May 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Well, while we do have pretty lame laws for guns in CA, the 2nd Amendment does still apply and we're able to throw plenty of lead downrange.  The main restrictions are on AR-15's and similar rifles.  There is a 10 round limit on magazines and for AR's (or anything with certain "features" like a pistol-grip, flash-hider, etc.) the magazines need to be locked in so you can't reload quickly.  Rolling Eyes

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri May 19, 2017 7:57 pm

Kerrick wrote:Now I need to find a good quick-access lockbox/safe solution…

I think I've found it...

http://www.hornady.com/store/RAPiD-Safe-AR-Gunlocker

Price-wise it's comparable or better to the alternatives and function-wise it seems excellent.

• RFID for super-quick entry (and comes with a keychain, bracelet, and two stickers)
  • Digital button combination for quickish access if you don't have your RFID with you
  • mechanical key if electronics fail
  • spring-loaded door
  • mount horizontal or vertical

Seems pretty perfect to me!  I'm really looking forward to getting it all set up once I buy it.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat May 20, 2017 9:53 am

So I went round and round and round, trying to find a good gun for home defense that adheres to California’s stupid laws, the stupid rules imposed by our landlords*, and something my wife can be comfortable shooting.  I almost went with the M1 Carbine but after doing some more research, getting a quality/reliable one is apparently near impossible.  Otherwise that gun would’ve been ideal.  So yesterday I just went ahead and bought a Ruger Mini 14.  It seems a bit silly to get something that my AR-15 does better in every way… but it’s CA-kosher (with detachable magazines), has an action my wife likes better, and I think will be a fun plinker that my wife can enjoy using for fun too.  I got the wood stock and stainless barrel/components.  Unfortunately, I have to wait until it arrives to the gun store and then start my paperwork.  California has a 10-day waiting period which starts once the paperwork is completed.  Sigh… I’ll have to be patient for a little while more before I can finally take it to the range.  But I’m excited to finally have this figured out.  Now I need to find a good quick-access lockbox/safe solution…

The main restrictions are on AR-15's and similar rifles.  There is a 10 round limit on magazines and for AR's (or anything with certain "features" like a pistol-grip, flash-hider, etc.) the magazines need to be locked in so you can't reload quickly.

Tennessee's laws are so much less restrictive.

You DO have to have a background check to get your pistol but not on rifles.  That background check can take mere minutes to run you through the TBI computers to a few hours.

You can buy an AR-15 or any other rifle as long as it is semi-automatic.  Having an automatic rifle without having a special license for one is illegal.  Selling an automatic is also illegal unless you have proper licensing.

You can qualify for your carry/conceal permit in a day.  After that, you have to get fingerprinted (which took minutes) and then go to the DMV for your permit.  That can take minutes depending on where you go to hours if that DMV station is inefficient.

You can carry a loaded pistol in your car now without a permit.  That changed last year.

Trigger locks or locks on magazines are not required.  They are good to have if you are trigger happy or have kids in the house.  For me, mine are ready if someone comes into my house at night.  Slip the safety off, and BOOM!  My truck is the same way.

With our permits, we cooperate with 32 other states so that our carry/conceal rights don't end when we cross the state line.

There is a bill working slowly through the state House and Senate that would make us an open-carry state.  The governor has said that he would sign it if it isn't too restrictive. You would only need a permit to conceal a weapon if passed.  As long as you had a holster on that was visible, then if this new law is passed you would be fine without a permit.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Sat May 20, 2017 3:16 pm

Kerrick wrote:Well, while we do have pretty lame laws for guns in CA, the 2nd Amendment does still apply and we're able to throw plenty of lead downrange.  The main restrictions are on AR-15's and similar rifles.  There is a 10 round limit on magazines and for AR's (or anything with certain "features" like a pistol-grip, flash-hider, etc.) the magazines need to be locked in so you can't reload quickly.  Rolling Eyes
Well all kidding aside, if I ever find myself in the neighbourhood (which would be totally awesome but I don't quite see it happen), I'll take you up on that.
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 20, 2017 5:57 pm

I am not enthusiastic, but I hunt. I have Beretta A400 Lite 12/76 28" -shotgun. 

Gun is just a tool for me for Hunting rabbits and ducks. I bought recently hunting bow, and I have to say that it is the perfect weapon for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by stringfellow_hawke Sat May 20, 2017 11:58 pm

I carry a Ruger LCP 2.  Pocket carry.  My younger brother carries a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard.  Pocket carry as well
stringfellow_hawke
stringfellow_hawke
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun May 21, 2017 11:04 am

I have a Glock 19 and a concealed carry permit in Washington. Of course we just passed a law that anyone who knows you can call and say your unstable and they'll come take your guns so i'm a little worried.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Sun May 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Black Rider wrote:I have a Glock 19 and a concealed carry permit in Washington. Of course we just passed a law that anyone who knows you can call and say your unstable and they'll come take your guns so i'm a little worried.
Washington is ridiculous like that, just saying dont move here Razz
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Mon May 22, 2017 11:38 am

Kerrick wrote:So I went round and round and round, trying to find a good gun for home defense that adheres to California’s stupid laws, the stupid rules imposed by our landlords*, and something my wife can be comfortable shooting.  I almost went with the M1 Carbine but after doing some more research, getting a quality/reliable one is apparently near impossible.  Otherwise that gun would’ve been ideal.  So yesterday I just went ahead and bought a Ruger Mini 14.  It seems a bit silly to get something that my AR-15 does better in every way… but it’s CA-kosher (with detachable magazines), has an action my wife likes better, and I think will be a fun plinker that my wife can enjoy using for fun too.  I got the wood stock and stainless barrel/components.  Unfortunately, I have to wait until it arrives to the gun store and then start my paperwork.  California has a 10-day waiting period which starts once the paperwork is completed.  Sigh… I’ll have to be patient for a little while more before I can finally take it to the range.  But I’m excited to finally have this figured out.  Now I need to find a good quick-access lockbox/safe solution…

In my humble opinion I do not think a rifle is the best choice for home defense ( especially a high caliber one ). In a house you are dealing with close quarter combat situations. A handgun or a even a shotgun would be a safer and smarter choice. Now, if you have people coming at you from the perimeter of your house or you are perched on a roof, then a rifle is the better choice.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon May 22, 2017 1:58 pm

^That is very valid and if I were under different/less restrictions, I’d do it much differently.  Our landlords have imposed a rule that guns and ammo must be locked away separate from one another.  So that necessitated whatever solution I chose to be magazine-fed, because that is way too slow already, let alone loading a shotgun round by round…  As for handguns, my wife is not very confident on them and even full-size 9mm’s or .45’s are difficult/uncomfortable to manipulate/operate.  Revolvers are out for that reason and for time to load, like shotguns.  (I’m aware of the star-loaders or whatever they’re called but I’m not sold on those for our application…)  Also, our landlords live right above us and I’d be concerned of possible AD’s due to recoil, i.e. sending rounds through our roof (their floor).  With a rifle of relative small caliber, that’s very unlikely.  She’s far more confident on rifles, especially with the charging handle on the side.  I seriously considered a 10/22 or possibly a .22 WMR auto-loading rifle but ballistically those are a bit underpowered for home defense – especially if the intruder is hopped up on drugs (which is a distinct possibility in our area…).  A 9mm carbine would’ve been quite perfect, but to have a magazine-fed California-legal one… well, no such things are in production anymore.  Ruger made one as did Marlin, but both are in high demand and quite expensive.  Plus, I’m hesitant to buy a used gun for home defense.  The M1 Carbine would’ve been great: lightweight, low recoil, good size… but reliability for those is spotty at best.  As for the .223, I wouldn’t consider it “high powered.”  I’ll get some lightweight hollow-tip varmint rounds which will certainly stop anyone coming in but aren’t going to be a safety concern past a couple layers of drywall.  I spent hours and hours going round and round and round on this decision and discussing it with quite a few folks.  It’s certainly far-from-ideal, though I think given the particular requirements I was at the mercy of, I’m content with it.  Once we get our own place, it’ll be different.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake Tue May 23, 2017 10:08 am

In our house we have a Taurus Millenium Pro PT145. Its a compact .45
Blake
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://reanimatedradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Mon May 29, 2017 5:41 pm

Kerrick wrote:^That is very valid and if I were under different/less restrictions, I’d do it much differently.  Our landlords have imposed a rule that guns and ammo must be locked away separate from one another.  So that necessitated whatever solution I chose to be magazine-fed, because that is way too slow already, let alone loading a shotgun round by round…  As for handguns, my wife is not very confident on them and even full-size 9mm’s or .45’s are difficult/uncomfortable to manipulate/operate.  Revolvers are out for that reason and for time to load, like shotguns.  (I’m aware of the star-loaders or whatever they’re called but I’m not sold on those for our application…)  Also, our landlords live right above us and I’d be concerned of possible AD’s due to recoil, i.e. sending rounds through our roof (their floor).  With a rifle of relative small caliber, that’s very unlikely.  She’s far more confident on rifles, especially with the charging handle on the side.  I seriously considered a 10/22 or possibly a .22 WMR auto-loading rifle but ballistically those are a bit underpowered for home defense – especially if the intruder is hopped up on drugs (which is a distinct possibility in our area…).  A 9mm carbine would’ve been quite perfect, but to have a magazine-fed California-legal one… well, no such things are in production anymore.  Ruger made one as did Marlin, but both are in high demand and quite expensive.  Plus, I’m hesitant to buy a used gun for home defense.  The M1 Carbine would’ve been great: lightweight, low recoil, good size… but reliability for those is spotty at best.  As for the .223, I wouldn’t consider it “high powered.”  I’ll get some lightweight hollow-tip varmint rounds which will certainly stop anyone coming in but aren’t going to be a safety concern past a couple layers of drywall.  I spent hours and hours going round and round and round on this decision and discussing it with quite a few folks.  It’s certainly far-from-ideal, though I think given the particular requirements I was at the mercy of, I’m content with it.  Once we get our own place, it’ll be different.

Ahhhh....I see your point.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:00 pm

Yeah...  It baffles me that nobody makes 9mm rifle carbines anymore (that aren't AR platform or have otherwise "evil" scary features such as pistol grips).  I am still very eagerly awaiting my Mini 14's arrival to the gun store so I can get the paperwork process started.  Sigh...

On a quasi-related note, the Babylon Bee is spectacular:

http://babylonbee.com/news/california-christians-must-now-register-bibles-assault-weapons/

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:15 am

Kerrick wrote:On a quasi-related note, the Babylon Bee is spectacular:

http://babylonbee.com/news/california-christians-must-now-register-bibles-assault-weapons/

That Babylon piece might be funny if it were not likely to be something to actually happen in a few years.  As Christians speak out and get labeled with using hate speech even if we are just stating what the Bible says, you can almost bet this will transpire and probably in our lifetimes.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by stringfellow_hawke Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:12 pm

Last week (Memorial Day weekend) the Mrs. and I went shooting at a local rifle range.  We fired through 350+ rounds through 5 different guns. My .45/1911, 9mm, .380, 20 gauge shotgun and M4/AR.  Had a great time.
stringfellow_hawke
stringfellow_hawke
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next