How many gun/shooting enthusiasts do we have here?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

How many gun/shooting enthusiasts do we have here? - Page 3 Empty Re: How many gun/shooting enthusiasts do we have here?

Post by Grindboy on Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:57 pm

I'm currently a bit unhappy with at least certain "sig"ments of the gun industry.

1)  Silly CEO getting arrested for super shady barely even covered up work-around of German laws to sell to Columbia.

2)  Why are you continually offering overtime when there's clearly been a downturn in work and the people working their regular shifts are scraping to come up with productive things to do?

3)  If/when a layoff becomes necessary, and your options are: a) call me the day before my shift, so that I don't miss a nice night with my family by going to bed at 7:30; or b) meet your employees inside the door at 5:00 am to tell them that they're getting 2 hours of show-up pay and send them on their way. . . a is a pretty good choice, relatively speaking.

I'm not really complaining, although being laid off is extremely frustrating I think good things are going to come of the situation (and my wife has a good job!).  I'm sure Sig makes fine guns and your patronage helps support many fine New Hampshire workers (and the shady/inept management, apparently!).

Grindboy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

How many gun/shooting enthusiasts do we have here? - Page 3 Empty Re: How many gun/shooting enthusiasts do we have here?

Post by Kerrick on Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:51 pm

Oh dang dude, I am really sorry to hear about the layoff...  I can only imagine how frustrating that'd be - especially because of how the company was/is ran.  It'd be one thing if they did everything right and still had to lay folks off, but it's something entirely different when you know it could've been avoided.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:34 pm

Tomorrow a friend and I are set to take an "enhanced" concealed carry class.  It's all day long, the latter half all on the range - so it should be fun though tiring.  Idaho has "constitutional carry" so I don't need a permit to carry here, but with this permit, I'll be able to carry in a number of other states which have reciprocity with Idaho which is mighty cool.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:10 pm

I have my eye on a Taurus 357/38 Special revolver.  I'd like to shoot one before I buy it, though.  I would like a .38 or .380, but most of the .380s I have seen just are too small for my hand.  My pinkie finger ends up going under the grip because of the size of my hands.  With the Taurus, it looks like it would be more made for my hand.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:28 pm

Yeah those .380's are usually real tiny.  They hide away very well, but aren't so easy to shoot - especially if you have big hands.  I can't get my pinkie around my 9mm subcompact unless I'm using the 7-round extended magazine but it conceals pretty well and isn't TOO difficult to shoot.

I'm curious, why are you considering a revolver?  I've heard mixed things about the quality/reliability of Taurus, but then again I've had major reliability issues with Springfield and Smith & Wesson too which are supposed to be really good...  A friend had a little .357 revolver [S&W, I think?] that was his cousin's backup gun he kept on his ankle as a Highway Patrol officer.  I shot that thing a couple times which was a couple times too many haha.  It was super lightweight and it felt like it was going to jump right out of your hands, no matter how firmly you gripped it.  Shooting .38s in it was no problem though.  Still, it had a pretty long/stiff trigger, short sight radius, and takes longer to reload than your typical semi-auto pistol.  I wasn't the biggest fan.  Revolvers do have their perks too though.

The class this weekend was a lot of fun.  The first half was in the classroom where we learned about local laws and such.  (Idaho is awesome.)  The second half was at the range and because we were a relatively small (five) and advanced group of students, we got to skip through the basics (drawing from a holster, etc.) and just shoot a bunch haha.  Now I just gotta submit my paperwork...

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Why would I consider a revolver?  Everything else I have are semi-automatics and this just sounds like a good change up.  I certainly don't need it and it probably doesn't make sense as a personal defense weapon because you can't reload quickly.  However, if you are defending yourself, you probably won't get a chance to reload anyway.

Last edited by alldatndensum on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:23 pm

Right on.  Revolvers can be pretty fun.  And for defensive guns, they're better than autos if you think you'd ever shoot from inside your coat pocket (or purse if your wife wants to carry it), etc.  If you try that with an auto, you'll get the first round off but there's a good chance it'll fail to eject/chamber properly.  A revolver (especially one with an internal hammer) won't have that issue.

Also, a .357 is fun because you can plink with the .38s and then really wreck shop with the .357.   Cool

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:09 pm

Kerrick wrote:Right on.  Revolvers can be pretty fun.  And for defensive guns, they're better than autos if you think you'd ever shoot from inside your coat pocket (or purse if your wife wants to carry it), etc.  If you try that with an auto, you'll get the first round off but there's a good chance it'll fail to eject/chamber properly.  A revolver (especially one with an internal hammer) won't have that issue.

Also, a .357 is fun because you can plink with the .38s and then really wreck shop with the .357.   Cool

Man, I wish you hadn't said all that.  Now I REALLY want one!!!
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:28 pm

lol!
I'm always happy to spend other peoples' paychecks!  Razz

That being said, in my experience, little revolvers: can be practical for self defense but not much fun to shoot.  Big revolvers: much more fun but not that practical for carrying concealed.  I'd definitely try a few out before you buy, as you said.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:39 pm

Kerrick wrote:lol!
I'm always happy to spend other peoples' paychecks!  Razz

That being said, in my experience, little revolvers: can be practical for self defense but not much fun to shoot.  Big revolvers: much more fun but not that practical for carrying concealed.  I'd definitely try a few out before you buy, as you said.

True.  The worst mistake of buying a gun is not handling the weapon before you buy it.  Feel of it--really feel of it.  Make sure it fits your hands.  See if the weight, or the lack thereof, will be a deterrent for you.  If you buy a gun, it should just feel like an extension of your hand.

For example, I bought a Rossi .44 revolver a few years ago.  I bought it on a Black Friday sale because it was cheap and I wanted it.  I bought it without holding it or asking questions.  At the time, getting ammo for it was EXPENSIVE.  It cost about $1.15 every time you pulled the trigger!  But, after shooting all 5 rounds, my hand would be bruised.  The gun was originally made by Taurus and bought/remachined by Rossi.  Rossi sawed off the barrels to make them different.  Making a short barrel on such a high powered pistol made the recoil unbearable.  Even with the rubber grips that came on it, it would still bruise my hand.  I had my brother and a couple of friends shoot it and they had the same thing happen.  One of those friends has a .50 revolver.  It had some recoil, but it wasn't as bad as that Rossi.  I traded it in on my Ruger 9mm.

I like the Ruger, but it is almost too small for my hand.  To be honest, I prefer shooting my much bigger, and heavier, Hi-Point 9mm.  It is just too heavy to carry most of the time and the size makes it hard to conceal.  The Ruger is better for that.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:25 am

I have mixed feelings about the Taurus now.  The grip on the .357/.38 is too short.  It allows my pinkie to go under, and I just hate that.

The polymer version of the same gun has a longer grip and fits my hand just right.  I am not sure I want a "plastic" gun, though.  Other brands of pistols in that arena, though, are out of my price range.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Warzawa on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:00 am

a casual enthusiast
Warzawa
Warzawa
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum