The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Die Happy I or II?

+11
strangerhoncho
MagnusPrime
BaleMaster
crucifyd
TZ75
Black Rider
Ammocas
Dustofyears
oldschooldoom
Pethead
Christian Thrash Rules
15 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

DH I or II?

Die Happy I or II? - Page 3 I_vote_lcap63%Die Happy I or II? - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 63% 
[ 10 ]
Die Happy I or II? - Page 3 I_vote_lcap37%Die Happy I or II? - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 37% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 16

Die Happy I or II? - Page 3 Empty Re: Die Happy I or II?

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:50 am

I think I might prefer I ever so slightly
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:10 pm

I saw an interview with Doug Thieme where he emphatically stated that the riff to the song “Real” was written more than a year before Metallica’s black album was released. He acknowledged the similarity, but stated that Metallica was not the influence for that song.

I think DH I is miles and miles better than II.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

oldschooldoom likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:36 pm

Dustofyears wrote:I can hear both Metallica and Rust in Peace In that cage song. You're both right. Anyway...

Intro and main verse riffs and the stabs in this awful, horrendous song...sound familiar... It's been so long since I've listen to this album I thought maybe I had imagined a false memory... I had not! It sounds like a combo of Enter sandman intro sped up mixed with Crucified's  mind bender riff which had also just come out in 1991, the same year as the Black album...least Roger stayed true to his roots. Good ol' Rogey!

The Enter Sandman similarity is undeniable. 

That’s two Metallica style riffs on one Die Happy album.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:44 pm

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:Just because every riff stops and starts on CTE doesn't mean it's not thrash. The bridge of Sweating Bullets is thrashy. Also, it doesn't have to be 200 BPM to be thrash.

Thrash traditionally was known to have speed. It was once synonymous with speed-metal. 

To me, CTE sounds like regular heavy metal. It has some “residual” elements of thrash… but not enough to be the real deal.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:50 pm

Black Rider wrote:Anyone who thinks Megadeth stopped being thrash hasn't listened past the 90s.

It was on “pause” for several years (1992 to 2001).

They went back to thrash in the 00’s. Probably around The System album.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:55 pm

Agreed
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75 and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:06 pm

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:It has thrash elements, I am not disputing that. Ashes in your mouth~!!! But so does the black album, Holier than thou!!! etc. So does die happy, Learn, vanishing lessons etc, but they are watered down thrash into the heavy rock realm while maintaining some of their former thrash elements, unlike all those bands previous efforts which was thrash. We have Metallica to thank for that as I made clear above (I hope).
It's not watered down all the way to hard rock. It's still very much metal. It's not less heavy it's just less thrashy. Sad But True is Metallica's second heaviest song.

That's why I state the it still has thrash elements. It's almost like a whole new genre that Metallica created at the time: Thrash/Rock— like black n roll or something.

And by no means am I saying it's a bad thing. I like CTE and THE black album and Learn, all great albums in their own right.

Black Rider wrote:Anyone who thinks Megadeth stopped being thrash hasn't listened past the 90s.

So 1990-93 all those bands and probably more, suddenly switched from thrash to Thrash/rock, all in the same time period. That's what I am focusing on here. I realize Megadeth etc returned to their roots.

Metallica Black album: 1991

Megadeth last thrash album RIP 1990:  Countdown to extinction 1992

Vengeance Rising Once Dead 1990:  Die happy's debut 1992

TQT last thrash album POD 92:  Vanishing 1993

Deliverance last thrash album  Stay 92:  Learn 1993

Record companies saw how Metallica blew up with this new style and probably pushed their bands in the same direction, or the bands followed the leader— or it was a massive coincidence. You decide. Catch the flame before it fades away as they say, record companies are all about that.

Not ROger though, he came out with DESTRUCTION COMES and RELEASED UPON THE EARTH!!!

Also at this time there were loads of bands with riffs sounding like they came from Metallica and Megadeth RIP as these albums were just a couple years old and the buzz was still in the air.

Follower of Jesus wrote:I saw an interview with Doug Thieme where he emphatically stated that the riff to the song “Real” was written more than a year before Metallica’s black album was released. He acknowledged the similarity, but stated that Metallica was not the influence for that song.

I think DH I is miles and miles better than II.

I can believe this. The more I listen to it the more I hear the crucified's, mind bender riff (the mid pace riff used in the break down and throughout) which came out the year before and guess who played with the Crucified when that album came out...VR.

Anyway Die happy still has a lot of Vengeance in there and most of the music is good...just those vocals...oh MY!!!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, TZ75, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:28 am

TZ75 wrote:
strangerhoncho wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
MagnusPrime wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
MagnusPrime wrote:The first one since it's closer to USPM. Kind of a bluesier take on Metal Church. Seems to have a slight Trouble influence as well.

The first one is like Sabbath and TBA/Metallica mixed with Jake E. Lee’s Badlands.

Incorrect. My take is better.

horatio2

Except the Badlands influence. I can hear that.

Everything that is heavy and bluesy is influenced by Sabbath. There is a blatant Metallica influence on the song Cage! 

I know I’m right about Badlands.  Smile

That Cage riff is straight up Megadeth, not Metallica.

I disagree. 

It’s very similar to Metallica’s bouncy riff on “Hit the Lights”. Listen at the 34 second mark! It’s total Metallica! Hetfield wrote it. 

Nah.  Sounds more like the first riff in Holy Wars. 

strangerhoncho
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:46 am

Dustofyears wrote:I can hear both Metallica and Rust in Peace In that cage song. You're both right. Anyway...

Intro and main verse riffs and the stabs in this awful, horrendous song...sound familiar... It's been so long since I've listen to this album I thought maybe I had imagined a false memory... I had not! It sounds like a combo of Enter sandman intro sped up mixed with Crucified's  mind bender riff which had also just come out in 1991, the same year as the Black album...least Roger stayed true to his roots. Good ol' Rogey!

Yep
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:11 am

strangerhoncho wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
strangerhoncho wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
MagnusPrime wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
MagnusPrime wrote:The first one since it's closer to USPM. Kind of a bluesier take on Metal Church. Seems to have a slight Trouble influence as well.

The first one is like Sabbath and TBA/Metallica mixed with Jake E. Lee’s Badlands.

horatio2

Everything that is heavy and bluesy is influenced by Sabbath. There is a blatant Metallica influence on the song Cage! 

I disagree. 

It’s very similar to Metallica’s bouncy riff on “Hit the Lights”. Listen at the 34 second mark! It’s total Metallica! Hetfield wrote it. 

Nope. The rhythm pattern is totally different (plus Holy Wars is more tight and precise). Cage has a “bounce” to it like Metallica and Deliverance.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:20 am

Honcho is right. 

That was exactly the riff that came to mind in my post a number of posts back well before Honcho even posted Holy Wars. I just couldn't put my finger on it so stated it reminded me of something from rust in peace. Later on Honcho posts the song from Rust in peace (Holy Wars).

Rust in peace had only been out 2 years before Die Happy's debut, and bands were lifting riffs off from that album and making their own all over  the place. Naturally they are going to deviate from the original riff so as not to rip it off verbatim. But it's there all right. So is the bounce and Metallica. You are both right.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

strangerhoncho and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:31 am

Dustofyears wrote:Honcho is right. 

That was exactly the riff that came to mind in my post a number of posts back well before Honcho even posted Holy Wars. I just couldn't put my finger on it so stated it reminded me of something from rust in peace. Later on Honcho posts the song from Rust in peace (Holy Wars).

Rust in peace had only been out 2 years before Die Happy's debut, and bands were lifting riffs off from that album and making their own all over  the place. Naturally they are going to deviate from the original riff so as not to rip it off verbatim. But it's there all right. So is the bounce and Metallica. You are both right.

You both are entitled to your opinions, but I don’t hear it. The rhythm pattern is not the same. The Cage riff has a certain bounce. The Holy Wars riff is tighter and less bouncy.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:52 am

strangerhoncho wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
MagnusPrime wrote:
TZ75 wrote:

horatio2

Honcho:

"That Cage riff is straight up Megadeth, not Metallica."   (no specific song mentioned)

Yours truly: "I can hear both Metallica and Rust in Peace In that cage song. You're both right. (couldn't think of the song on the spot so called out the album)

strangerhoncho wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
strangerhoncho wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
MagnusPrime wrote:
TZ75 wrote:

horatio2

I disagree. 

Honcho delivers the song.

Yours truly: Yep. That's the one.

The Cage riff has a certain bounce. The Holy Wars riff is tighter and less bouncy. (well they ain't gonna copy and paste the riff broski) and Megadeth are very bouncy, almost funky in vibe, especially that album. However I still think you are both right.

Not that any of this matters. I just like winning.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:39 am

Dustofyears wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:It has thrash elements, I am not disputing that. Ashes in your mouth~!!! But so does the black album, Holier than thou!!! etc. So does die happy, Learn, vanishing lessons etc, but they are watered down thrash into the heavy rock realm while maintaining some of their former thrash elements, unlike all those bands previous efforts which was thrash. We have Metallica to thank for that as I made clear above (I hope).
It's not watered down all the way to hard rock. It's still very much metal. It's not less heavy it's just less thrashy. Sad But True is Metallica's second heaviest song.

That's why I state the it still has thrash elements. It's almost like a whole new genre that Metallica created at the time: Thrash/Rock— like black n roll or something.

And by no means am I saying it's a bad thing. I like CTE and THE black album and Learn, all great albums in their own right.
Again, I don't see any ROCK influence in there. It's the same Metallica just less thrashy.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:13 am

Dustofyears wrote:

Again, I don't see any ROCK influence in there. It's the same Metallica just less thrashy.

Forgive me for my ignorance. Zoomers.

Heavy rock, not Petra rock. Heavy rock is a branch of Rock music. Sad but true is heavy rock. When you water thrash down you get heavy rock with thrash elements. The Black album is not thrash. It's Heavy Rock with thrash elements. It's thrash/rock.

There is without a doubt, a noticeable difference with all those albums I mentioned to their previous albums and they are not thrash. End of story. Metallica was even on prime time television and radio with all the other mainstream rock bands which before that was not a common thing— Enter sandman Nothing else matters and the unforgiven to be precise, was in frequent rotation on MtV and the radio all over the place.

All the other bands followed suit.

When you know more about music then you can talk. Otherwise— Live and learn.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:39 am

Here are some examples of heavy rock

Now just sprinkle a few thrash elements through those albums and you have Heavy rock with thrash, thus Thrash/rock.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:40 am

C’mon, Dust, you know your favorite heavy rock band is Manowar.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:46 am

Lolz... maybe you might be able to explain it better... Shucks!!! And yes, Man O war is my favorite thrash band ever!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:54 am

Why all the comparisons?

I simply enjoy the terrific traditional heavy metal that is Die Happy
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead, Ammocas and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:55 am

Dustofyears wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

Forgive me for my ignorance. Zoomers.

Heavy rock, not Petra rock. Heavy rock is a branch of Rock music. Sad but true is heavy rock. When you water thrash down you get heavy rock with thrash elements. The Black album is not thrash. It's Heavy Rock with thrash elements. It's thrash/rock.

There is without a doubt, a noticeable difference with all those albums I mentioned to their previous albums and they are not thrash. End of story. Metallica was even on prime time television and radio with all the other mainstream rock bands which before that was not a common thing— Enter sandman Nothing else matters and the unforgiven to be precise, was in frequent rotation on MtV and the radio all over the place.

All the other bands followed suit.

When you know more about music then you can talk. Otherwise— Live and learn.
It's not thrash obviously. But when you slow down thrash you get Heavy Metal not rock.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:58 am

OH MY !@#%%%^ HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK...

Listen to the Alice in chains video song so you can learn what that is!!! Oh My @##$%^

ZOOMERS!!!! I'm dead!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:11 am

Dustofyears wrote:OH MY !@#%%%^ HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK HEAVY ROCK...

Listen to the Alice in chains video song so you can learn what that is!!! Oh My @##$%^

ZOOMERS!!!! I'm dead!
Die Happy I or II? - Page 3 CLsBw6IiAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:16 am

backingout ...Yes... Once upon a time one would walk into a record store and they would find Metallica's black album in in the heavy metal section with all their other albums... 

Load albums too... backingout
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:21 am

I’m leaning a little more towards Die Happy1 today
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Ammocas and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:22 am

^^^ I am liking my post
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Ammocas, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next