The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christian vs secular thrash final results

+2
Dustofyears
StevenCressler
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Christian vs secular thrash final results Empty Christian vs secular thrash final results

Post by StevenCressler Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:24 am

Overall
Christian: 31
Secular: 26

Band-specific
10. Anthrax: 0
9. Vengeance Rising: 1
8. Believer: 1
7. Slayer: 2
6. Seventh Angel: 2
5. Testament: 5
4. Deliverance: 7
3. Megadeth: 7
2. Metallica: 14
1. Tourniquet: 20
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Back to top Go down

Christian vs secular thrash final results Empty Re: Christian vs secular thrash final results

Post by Dustofyears Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:03 am

Ha! TQT took out Metallica ha! Testament! the most average of average thrash bands next to Anthrax in the whole world took out Believer, vengeance Rising and Seventh angel!

Ha!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Christian vs secular thrash final results Empty Re: Christian vs secular thrash final results

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:13 pm

No surprise that Tourniquet won on a Christian metal site. 

Of course there is a bias… but realistically, most of the world has no idea they existed. And then there’s the acquired taste of their quirky style. 

We know how great they were (especially the classic first three albums), but the secular scene would naturally prefer Metallica. Before they sold out, they were the kings of metal.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:20 pm

Tourniquet is far more unique, but the only band that ever had a chance to challenge the secular scene was Deliverance. 

Weapons is just as good as any of the albums from the “Big 4”. And the video had a good run on Headbanger’s Ball. Amazingly, Lars Ulrich said it was one of his favorite videos (at the time). That is one heck of an endorsement!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:28 pm

I may be biased, but TQT absolutely deserved to win. Uniqueness, when combined with really good musicianship, can be the factor that puts a band above its competition
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:32 pm

Testament average? Skolnick is a better player than Kirk in his sleep. And I love TQT but they aren't as unique as people here think.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:46 pm

Alex Skolnick has always been Testament’s secret weapon. 

Tourniquet was great in every way except they never had a brilliant solo guitarist. Erik Mendez never had an amazing solo. He played good and got the job done, but nothing close to something that Marty Friedman or Skolnick did. 

Mark Lewis also played great, but he was never a true member of the band. Gary Lenaire is like Eric Peterson. He can play some tasty solos, but nothing I’d consider flashy.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:57 pm

TZ75 wrote:Alex Skolnick has always been Testament’s secret weapon. 

Tourniquet was great in every way except they never had a brilliant solo guitarist. Erik Mendez never had an amazing solo. He played good and got the job done, but nothing close to something that Marty Friedman or Skolnick did. 

Mark Lewis also played great, but he was never a true member of the band. Gary Lenaire is like Eric Peterson. He can play some tasty solos, but nothing I’d consider flashy.
Tears of Korah is TQT's best solo for sure
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:22 pm

StevenCressler wrote:
TZ75 wrote:Alex Skolnick has always been Testament’s secret weapon. 

Tears of Korah is TQT's best solo for sure

Overall, STB has Tourniquet’s best solos. I assume mostly from Mark Lewis. But Gary also played super tight and precise parts.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:40 pm

I’ve never been big on Erik Mendez’s soloing. He’s a great player, for sure, but his solos just sound like a flurry of notes instead of a composition.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:53 pm

Pethead wrote:I’ve never been big on Erik Mendez’s soloing. He’s a great player, for sure, but his solos just sound like a flurry of notes instead of a composition.

My thoughts exactly.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:35 pm

TQT are little overrated (IMO) A good band but overrated. POD is a gold standard record though and Psycho is not far behind. The debut is good but a little over the top for the my tastes (insert vocals). Haven't listened to TQT for a long time but I remember enjoying the solos and found them very melodic, but I'd have to listen to the again to see if my mind has changed.

Not saying testament aren't good musicians but the songs are average and they are a band that sounds like every other metal band combined. There is nothing special in their sound that separates them, hence generic and average (IMO)

Believer, Seventh Angel and Vengeance Rising could've stood side by side with secular bands easily, especially Lament for the weary, had they've been a secular act they'd be a legendary band in the metal kingdom. The other problem is all these bands have short discogs too. Anyway just another opinion that matters for nothing lolz.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:45 pm

Tourniquet is roughly 56,792x better than Believer or Vengeance Rising. I did the math.

If any Christian thrash band is overrated, it’s VR.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

seth and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:12 pm

Tourniquet >>> Seventh Angel > Believer > VR
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:20 pm

seth wrote:Tourniquet > Believer > Seventh Angel > VR
Too lazy to write my own opinions so I just edited yours

Though tbf I have a hard time choosing between B and SA. All four are great though.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:34 pm

Now this may be a hot take, but if I had to insert Deliverance into that ranking, it would go right in the middle, between 7A and believer
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:39 pm

seth wrote:Now this may be a hot take, but if I had to insert Deliverance into that ranking, it would go right in the middle, between 7A and believer
That's mainly due to 7A's last album, right?

(And I'd put D at the top)
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

seth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:40 pm

StevenCressler wrote:
seth wrote:Now this may be a hot take, but if I had to insert Deliverance into that ranking, it would go right in the middle, between 7A and believer

Yes. And tbh I only like a few individual Deliverance songs
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:18 pm

seth wrote:
StevenCressler wrote:

Breathing Still, Ramming Speed, Time... Are there any others?
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:38 pm

I’m guessing Happy Star.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:52 pm

Cheeseburger maker Du
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:54 pm

Pethead wrote:Tourniquet is roughly 56,792x better than Believer or Vengeance Rising. I did the math.

If any Christian thrash band is overrated, it’s VR.
I used a calculator and it says you did the math wrong in your head.

PS: it was an extremely modern scientific calculator.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:59 pm

StevenCressler wrote:

7A last album was dust of years. Lament is their best work (IMO) the first album is unique and killer as well. Nothing sounds like Seventh Angel!

Dust if years is great too but leans into their more doomy roots and drops most of the thrash and adds a few more new ingredients to the mix.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:12 pm

Dustofyears wrote:
StevenCressler wrote:

7A last album was dust of years. Lament is their best work (IMO) the first album is unique and killer as well. Nothing sounds like Seventh Angel!

Dust if years is great too but leans into their more doomy roots and drops most of the thrash and adds a few more new ingredients to the mix.
The Dust of Years is my favorite from them, never cared too much for the other albums that much tbh
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:13 pm

StevenCressler wrote:
seth wrote:
StevenCressler wrote:

Breathing Still, Ramming Speed, Time... Are there any others?
Those, Thistles, and The Fold is alright
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next