The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christian vs Secular thrash bands

+7
Dustofyears
Pethead
TZ75
MagnusPrime
seth
Black Rider
StevenCressler
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which one?

Christian vs Secular thrash bands I_vote_lcap13%Christian vs Secular thrash bands I_vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
Christian vs Secular thrash bands I_vote_lcap19%Christian vs Secular thrash bands I_vote_rcap 19% 
[ 3 ]
Christian vs Secular thrash bands I_vote_lcap31%Christian vs Secular thrash bands I_vote_rcap 31% 
[ 5 ]
Christian vs Secular thrash bands I_vote_lcap19%Christian vs Secular thrash bands I_vote_rcap 19% 
[ 3 ]
Christian vs Secular thrash bands I_vote_lcap0%Christian vs Secular thrash bands I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Christian vs Secular thrash bands I_vote_lcap6%Christian vs Secular thrash bands I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Christian vs Secular thrash bands I_vote_lcap0%Christian vs Secular thrash bands I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Christian vs Secular thrash bands I_vote_lcap12%Christian vs Secular thrash bands I_vote_rcap 12% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 16

Christian vs Secular thrash bands Empty Christian vs Secular thrash bands

Post by StevenCressler Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:52 pm

Okay, so I've polled the secular big four and the Christian big two. Let's compare them now. The polls on here allow 10 options, so I'll throw in Seventh Angel and Testament.

I'm going Deliverance. Jimmy has one of the best voices in metal, each album is full of great riffs (except Camelot, which has three great riffs), and they put some great melodies in their music even when being aggressive. Add to that great guitar solos, and (on certain albums) great lyrics (I think Assimilation, for example, has great lyrics, but their first three albums especially can be somewhat cheesy lyrically). Tourniquet would be next, as I think they are objectivelly the best band here. Great lyrics, great vocals, and very creative. Then after that would be Metallica. At their peak they might be the best, but they aren't very consistent. And also gotta give a mention to Megadeth for their melodic riffing style.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Back to top Go down

Christian vs Secular thrash bands Empty Re: Christian vs Secular thrash bands

Post by Black Rider Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:02 pm

I know it's preference but Deliverance wouldn't be a top 10 thrash band, little derivative at first. I love D but honestly there's just better thrash.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:47 pm

Tourniquet. Even apart from any bias due to their being Christian, I think their music is genuinely better than the big secular thrash bands I’ve heard. It has that element of quirkiness and is generally more interesting than standard thrash
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:55 pm

My choice is obvious. 

Slayer easily wins this.

(Kerrick, you can pay me later.)

Nah just kidding.

My choice is Torn Flesh.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

My Awesome Timothy, Kerrick, CrimsonWarrior, Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:19 pm

Metallica!

I know I gave more love to Megadeth last time… but Metallica’s first four albums are the cornerstone and gold standard of thrash. 

There is a strong chance that bands like Deliverance and even Tourniquet might not exist (the way we know them) without Metallica’s influence. Slayer also is an undeniable influence!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:30 pm

TZ75 wrote:Metallica!

I know I gave more love to Megadeth last time… but Metallica’s first four albums are the cornerstone and gold standard of thrash. 

There is a strong chance that bands like Deliverance and even Tourniquet might not exist (the way we know them) without Metallica’s influence. Slayer also is an undeniable influence!
From what I know of Slayer (which is basically just the opening riff to Raining Blood and the main riff in War Ensemble lol) I definitely can hear some influence in early Deliverance.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:31 pm

Black Rider wrote:I know it's preference but Deliverance wouldn't be a top 10 thrash band, little derivative at first. I love D but honestly there's just better thrash.
Yeah, they wouldn't be my objective pick. I just love the riffs, vocals, and melodies, plus their pretty consistent.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:33 pm

seth wrote:Tourniquet. Even apart from any bias due to their being Christian, I think their music is genuinely better than the big secular thrash bands I’ve heard. It has that element of quirkiness and is generally more interesting than standard thrash
I definitely agree. Aside from that I don't really know any bands with better lyrics.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:59 pm

For Kerrick’s enjoyment and edification, I’ll rank these bands and give you the best album from each: 

1. Tourniquet (Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance)
2. Metallica (And Justice for All)
3. Megadeth (Rust in Peace)
4. Anthrax (Persistence of Time)
5. Deliverance (Weapons of Our Warfare)
6. Believer (Sanity Obscure)
7. Testament (The Legacy)
8. Slayer (Seasons in the Abyss)
9. Seventh Angel (Lament for the Weary) 
10. Vengeance Rising (Released upon the Earth)
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Superjuice, Ammocas, TZ75, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:20 pm

Pethead wrote:For Kerrick’s enjoyment and edification, I’ll rank these bands and give you the best album from each: 

1. Tourniquet (Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance)
2. Metallica (And Justice for All)
3. Megadeth (Rust in Peace)
4. Anthrax (Persistence of Time)
5. Deliverance (Weapons of Our Warfare)
6. Believer (Sanity Obscure)
7. Testament (The Legacy)
8. Slayer (Seasons in the Abyss)
9. Seventh Angel (Lament for the Weary) 
10. Vengeance Rising (Released upon the Earth)

As of now:

1. Metallica (...And Justice For All)
2. Testament (Souls Of Black)
3. Tourniquet (Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance)
4. Megadeth (Countdown To Extinction)
5. Anthrax (Sound Of White Noise)
6. Deliverance (Stay Of Execution)
7. Slayer (Divine Intervention)
8. Seventh Angel (Lament For The Weary)
9. Vengeance Rising (Released Upon The Earth)
10. Believer (Sanity Obscure)
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Superjuice, Pethead, Ammocas, TZ75 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:55 am

in no particular order

Seventh Angel

vengeance Rising

Slayer

Deliverance

Sep, everything up to chaos ad

Believer

ha...seems I like more christian thrash than secular thrash so I just realized. However death metal is a different story and  ironically only scrolls stands neck to neck and head to head with my three fav death metal albums of all time, that being Deicide's first 3 albums. nothing sounds like scrolls and no death metal sounds so full of possessed anger and hate as Deicide's first 3 albums.  Those four can't be beaten in my books. anyway guess that's another thread.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:13 am

StevenCressler wrote:

From what I know of Slayer (which is basically just the opening riff to Raining Blood and the main riff in War Ensemble lol) I definitely can hear some influence in early Deliverance.

The beginning fast riff on Greetings of Death is a direct copy of Angel of Death.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:20 am

Metallica became what they are utilizing Dave's style of playing. It's why I give the nod to Megadeth, well, that and RIP being the best thrash album ever.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:41 am

StevenCressler wrote:

Hate to break it to you but every thrash band is influenced by Metallica and Slayer even if they are not trying to be. If you play thrash there's going to be slayer or Metallica in there if you like it or not. 

As for the big D they the influence is undeniable especially weapons with songs like 23 is almost a direct rip off Metallica tune which isn't coming to mind right now. It's very ride the lightning. But Jimmy admits they were trying to be the christian Metallica. The one thing that differentiated them from those bands was Jimmy's voice. That's why i'm glad they found their own sound later on.

Last edited by Dustofyears on Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:55 am; edited 3 times in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, TZ75 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:48 am

Black Rider wrote:Metallica became what they are utilizing Dave's style of playing. It's why I give the nod to Megadeth, well, that and RIP being the best thrash album ever.
Not trying to deny Dave’s influence, but by MoP and (especially) AJfA their riffing style became very different than Dave’s. And those are their two best albums.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75, Dustofyears, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:17 am

MoP was still using Dave's style a lot but you're right, they're great.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:32 am

MoP had more Dave than AJfA, I agree.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:48 pm

Dustofyears wrote:
StevenCressler wrote:

Hate to break it to you but every thrash band is influenced by Metallica and Slayer even if they are not trying to be. If you play thrash there's going to be slayer or Metallica in there if you like it or not. 

As for the big D they the influence is undeniable especially weapons with songs like 23 is almost a direct rip off Metallica tune which isn't coming to mind right now. It's very ride the lightning. But Jimmy admits they were trying to be the christian Metallica. The one thing that differentiated them from those bands was Jimmy's voice. That's why i'm glad they found their own sound later on.
I read part of an interview where Jimmy said he changed his sound because he wanted to stop being "the Metallica clones" and he said, quote "The Lord wants us to be original".
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:34 pm

Voted for Deliverance. It was between them and Metallica. I find that I reach for Deliverance more often.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:24 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:Voted for Deliverance. It was between them and Metallica. I find that I reach for Deliverance more often.
I think at their peak Metallica is better, but Deliverance is way more consistent.

Last edited by StevenCressler on Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:35 pm

Voted Megadeth.  They've been the most consistent and TRUE METAL! Plus they crossover into Christian thrash so they cover all the bases.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:38 pm

StevenCressler wrote:
Follower of Jesus wrote:Voted for Deliverance. It was between them and Metallica. I find that I reach for Deliverance more often.
I think at their peak Metallica is very close, maybe even better, but Deliverance is way more consistent.
You really believe D is on the same level as peak Metallica?
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:50 pm

I’d define peak Metallica as RtL, MoP, and AJfA. Seen in that light the only Christian thrash band that can come close is the first 3 TQT. And even though they’re my favorite metal band, I still wouldn’t put them equal with peak Metallica.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:05 pm

StevenCressler wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
StevenCressler wrote:

I read part of an interview where Jimmy said he changed his sound because he wanted to stop being "the Metallica clones" and he said, quote "The Lord wants us to be origi
Like their thrash albums but am glad Jimmy chose a different direction his vocals would've been a waste just doing thrash he has a far more versatile voice than just about any thrash vocalist out there.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:46 pm

Black Rider wrote:
StevenCressler wrote:
I think at their peak Metallica is very close, maybe even better, but Deliverance is way more consistent.
You really believe D is on the same level as peak Metallica?
Now that I think about it, no. I think their close, but peak Metallica is better.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next