The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christian vs Secular thrash bands

+7
Dustofyears
Pethead
TZ75
MagnusPrime
seth
Black Rider
StevenCressler
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Which one?

Christian vs Secular thrash bands - Page 2 I_vote_lcap13%Christian vs Secular thrash bands - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
Christian vs Secular thrash bands - Page 2 I_vote_lcap19%Christian vs Secular thrash bands - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 19% 
[ 3 ]
Christian vs Secular thrash bands - Page 2 I_vote_lcap31%Christian vs Secular thrash bands - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 31% 
[ 5 ]
Christian vs Secular thrash bands - Page 2 I_vote_lcap19%Christian vs Secular thrash bands - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 19% 
[ 3 ]
Christian vs Secular thrash bands - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%Christian vs Secular thrash bands - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Christian vs Secular thrash bands - Page 2 I_vote_lcap6%Christian vs Secular thrash bands - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Christian vs Secular thrash bands - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%Christian vs Secular thrash bands - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Christian vs Secular thrash bands - Page 2 I_vote_lcap12%Christian vs Secular thrash bands - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 12% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 16

Christian vs Secular thrash bands - Page 2 Empty Re: Christian vs Secular thrash bands

Post by Superjuice Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:57 pm

Pethead wrote:I’d define peak Metallica as RtL, MoP, and AJfA.
Don't forget killer stuff on Garage Days and their other covers Stone Cold Crazy and Breadfan, which, to me, is the best thing Metallica ever recorded.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Christian vs Secular thrash bands - Page 2 Empty Re: Christian vs Secular thrash bands

Post by MagnusPrime Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:16 pm

Dustofyears wrote:

As for the big D they the influence is undeniable especially weapons with songs like 23 is almost a direct rip off Metallica tune which isn't coming to mind right now. 

I think 23 sounds a lot like Watch The Children Pray by Metal Church.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:07 am

Pethead wrote:
Black Rider wrote:Metallica became what they are utilizing Dave's style of playing. It's why I give the nod to Megadeth, well, that and RIP being the best thrash album ever.
Not trying to deny Dave’s influence, but by MoP and (especially) AJfA their riffing style became very different than Dave’s. And those are their two best albums.

The only album that has a strong Mustaine style is Kill ‘Em All. 

Hetfield’s playing is thicker and heavy. He has his own unique sound!

The Four Horseman sounds a lot better to me than The Mechanix. Hetfield has always been an ace on rhythm. Very tight and precise! 

Dave stepped up his game on Rust. His rhythm playing had drastically improved. I assume because he had been sober when he recorded it.

Last edited by TZ75 on Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Superjuice, Pethead, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:18 am

Black Rider wrote:MoP was still using Dave's style a lot but you're right, they're great.

They were still using a few Dave riffs, but Hetfield played them his own way. 

If James and Dave were side by side and took turns playing, you would see they sound very different. The only thing they do the same is the way they grip the picks. And they both use galloping (but Maiden did it before they did).
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:00 am

TZ75 wrote:
Pethead wrote:
Black Rider wrote:Metallica became what they are utilizing Dave's style of playing. It's why I give the nod to Megadeth, well, that and RIP being the best thrash album ever.
Not trying to deny Dave’s influence, but by MoP and (especially) AJfA their riffing style became very different than Dave’s. And those are their two best albums.

The only album that has a strong Mustaine style is Kill ‘Em All. 

Hetfield’s playing is thicker and heavy. He has own unique sound!

The Four Horseman sounds a lot better to me than The Mechanix. Hetfield has always been an ace on rhythm. Very tight and precise! 

Dave stepped up his game on Rust. His rhythm playing had drastically improved. I assume because he had been sober when he recorded it.
Yeah, Hetfield's is thicker and heavier, whereas Dave's is more melodic.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Pethead, TZ75 and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:56 am

In the 80s/early 90s, Hetfield utilized heavier, meatier riffs and a distinct precise palm-muting style, while Mustaine - while being somewhat "sloppier" on rhythms - always excelled at the busier fretwork and of course his great soloing. 

Also I'm tired of hearing the ol' "Mustaine practically wrote the first 2 Metallica albums" nonsense. I've encountered lots of younger fans who truly believe this. Without looking anything up for themselves of course. 

Mustaine had writing contributions on:
Kill 'Em All - 4 out of 10 tracks 
Ride The Lightning - 2 out of 8 tracks

I LOVE Megadeth, but this revisionist history stuff really needs to end.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:00 am

I tend to prefer Hetfield’s rhythm and riffing style, particularly as it developed later in the 80s, which is why I prefer peak Metallica over Deth.

Rust in Peace is a riff masterpiece, though.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider, MagnusPrime, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:49 pm

TZ75 wrote:
Pethead wrote:
Black Rider wrote:Metallica became what they are utilizing Dave's style of playing.
Not trying to deny Dave’s influence, but by MoP and (especially) AJfA their riffing style became very different than Dave’s.

I read in an interview with Hetfield about 20 years ago that he doesn't like "single string riffing."  And it somehow alluded to Dave's playing style.  I don't recall exactly how it went, but James definitely prefers chords over appregios.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:20 pm

Superjuice wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
Pethead wrote:
Black Rider wrote:Metallica became what they are utilizing Dave's style of playing.
Not trying to deny Dave’s influence, but by MoP and (especially) AJfA their riffing style became very different than Dave’s.

I read in an interview with Hetfield about 20 years ago that he doesn't like "single string riffing."  And it somehow alluded to Dave's playing style.  I don't recall exactly how it went, but James definitely prefers chords over appregios.

Except when he's ripping off Skynerd for the bridge to Four Horsemen, apparently.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:39 pm

Currently, secular thrash is winning 8-7, but Christian thrash also has the #1 voted band.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:19 pm

I have to go with Metallica. They are my favorite band and their first 4 albums are the top of Thrash Metal. You could even throw on Death Magnetic, Hardwired, and 72 Seasons with the first 4. And I'll rank all of these from worst to best with fav album as well.

1. Metallica - ...And Justice For All
2. Megadeth - Rust In Peace
*Dave Mustaine got saved in '02 and Megadeth albums since then actually have some Christian stuff thrown in here and there(Shadow Of Deth for example)

3. Vengeance Rising - Human Sacrifice
4. Deliverance - Deliverance
4.5. Sacrament - Haunts Of Violence(I know they're not on the list I just love this album)
5. Tourniquet - Where Moth And Rust Destroy
6. Believer - Sanity Obscure
7. Anthrax - We've Come For You All
8. Slayer - Reign In Blood

Never listened to Seventh Angel or Testement.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:37 pm

Christian Thrash Lover wrote:I have to go with Metallica. They are my favorite band and their first 4 albums are the top of Thrash Metal. You could even throw on Death Magnetic, Hardwired, and 72 Seasons with the first 4. And I'll rank all of these from worst to best with fav album as well.

1. Metallica - ...And Justice For All
2. Megadeth - Rust In Peace
*Dave Mustaine got saved in '02 and Megadeth albums since then actually have some Christian stuff thrown in here and there(Shadow Of Deth for example)

3. Vengeance Rising - Human Sacrifice
4. Deliverance - Deliverance
4.5. Sacrament - Haunts Of Violence(I know they're not on the list I just love this album)
5. Tourniquet - Where Moth And Rust Destroy
6. Believer - Sanity Obscure
7. Anthrax - We've Come For You All
8. Slayer - Reign In Blood

I've known the thing about Mustaine for a while, and it's really cool, though overall I'd still classify Deth as a secular band. As far as Seventh Angel I highly recommend Lament For The Weary. If you don't like the music, at least look at the album cover  Razz
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:02 am

Christian Thrash Lover wrote:

Never listened to Testement.
Those are the words of a Communist in these here parts.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:23 am

Crazy talk, rectify that immediately. 😆
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:28 am

Testament’s debut is legendary.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:31 am

Christian Thrash Lover wrote:

If you like the first 5 Metallica (which you obviously do), you should like the first 5 Testament albums.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2