The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nu Metal is good

+12
Kerrick
Superjuice
Temple of Blood
Airola
Follower of Jesus
Constantine
Black Rider
Dustofyears
seth
MagnusPrime
Pethead
StevenCressler
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Nu Metal is good Empty Nu Metal is good

Post by StevenCressler Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:47 pm

Everyone loves thrash, but so many hate nu metal... they are actually very similar. Listen to Disciple's "10 Minute Oil Change", it's got a very thrashy riff. The main differences are the vocals and atmosphere, which I understand can ruin the genre for some people. And the riffs do tend to be slower and lower-tuned (though that does make them very heavy at times). I think Nu is the most underrated metal genre by far.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Nu Metal is good Empty Re: Nu Metal is good

Post by Pethead Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:13 pm

I like some nu metal, but as a genre it’s nowhere near as good as thrash—mainly classic thrash, because a lot of modern thrash is blandsville.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:33 pm

Pethead wrote:I like some nu metal, but as a genre it’s nowhere near as good as thrash—mainly classic thrash, because a lot of modern thrash is blandsville.
I do agree thrash is much better.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:45 pm

If 311 counts as nu-metal, then they're my favorite, but then again they pre-date that genre and are pretty much their own unique thing.

So I'd have to say that System Of A Down, Sevendust, and Stuck Mojo are probably my favorite bands to come from that movement/era.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:47 pm

Nu metal tends to be much simpler than “real metal,” which means it is often pretty generic and boring, but it can be done well. I enjoy some nu-metal, like some songs from System of a Down, Disturbed, and Thousand Foot Krutch. But no nu-metal ive ever heard even comes close to really good thrash in quality
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Temple of Blood, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:13 pm

I Like korn's first album and Def Tones. A lot of new metal gets a little "wear-yo-cap-backwards-homie" for me to enjoy, even Korn are a bunch of "home bois" more so than metal. Def tones too. Still they have some cool songs

Noticed this creeping into a lot of new death metal style bands too, especially this garbage called Slam.

Check out the songs Diamond eyes and hole in the Earth by the def tones. Great stuff.

If you haven't already, check out Korn's first album S/T. Warning: heavy themes and lods of profanity, and the song called Daddy is very very dark and very heavy in theme yet the riffs make you want to bob your head, lolz. It's a weird vibe but very groovy.

The only other song I like from a new metal band is called smile from Chaosum (this song is a deliberate korn tribute rip off) It's a catchy tune but would I buy their album...no.
Other than that I am not a huge fan of NU metal but it has its place.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:28 pm

10 minute oil change was before they went nu, it actually still had a Pantera sound. I agree that nu is simpler, I like a few songs but not albums, except Chevelle, if they're considered nu.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:50 pm

I think the reason nu-metal has such a bad reputation is because when it’s bad, it’s REALLY bad. And quite a lot of it is bad. Limp Bizkit is a prime example
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, eatbugs and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:55 pm

Black Rider wrote:10 minute oil change was before they went nu, it actually still had a Pantera sound. I agree that nu is simpler, I like a few songs but not albums, except Chevelle, if they're considered nu.
So you'd consider that album groove?
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:08 am

I don't look at nu metal as being "better" or "worse" than anything else.
Like all genres, there's dreck and there's stellar.  

Some nu metal bands have a good amount of good material, like P.O.D., Pillar, Skiilet, Red, Haste The Day, Breaking Benjamin, or Linkin Park.   Other bands have one, two, or a few really good songs that might catch my attention but that's about it.  Like Disturbed, Thousand Foot Crutch, Papa Roach, Nonpoint, Flyleaf, Evanescence, etc.

I liked the one album by XIII Minutes.  I don't think it was popular but it was one of the first nu metal albums I actually liked all the way through.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:26 am

Constantine wrote:I don't look at nu metal as being "better" or "worse" than anything else.

Some nu metal bands have a good amount of good material, like P.O.D., Pillar, Skiilet, Red, Haste The Day, Breaking Benjamin, or Linkin Park.   Other bands have one, two, or a few really good songs that might catch my attention but that's about it.  Like Disturbed, Thousand Foot Crutch, Papa Roach, Nonpoint, Flyleaf, Evanescence, etc.

I liked the one album by XIII Minutes.  I don't think it was popular but it was one of the first nu metal albums I actually liked all the way through.
Collide's the only album by Skillet I'd call Nu Metal. Red is more alt, though they have some nu influences
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:34 am

Constantine wrote:I don't look at nu metal as being "better" or "worse" than anything else.

Thinking about some of those bands you mentioned reminds me of why I don’t like a lot of nu-metal/modern rock: the whininess. All the nu-metal I like is on the more aggressive-sounding side of the genre, but I can’t stand angsty emo type music
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:36 am

seth wrote:

Thinking about some of those bands you mentioned reminds me of why I don’t like a lot of nu-metal/modern rock: the whininess. All the nu-metal I like is on the more aggressive-sounding side of the genre, but I can’t stand angsty emo type music
Yeah, I much prefer the thrash-influenced nu metal to the alt rock-influenced nu metal
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

seth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:47 am

Evanescence is great, especially Fallen and open door. Amy didn't want or like the The yo-yo-cap-baggy jeans-home-boy Sing/rap as heard on the song that got them on the map (bring me to life) that was a record push due to the trend at the time. She was told she needs a male singer in the video or no one will take seriously etc.

Also I wouldn't classify them as an out right Nu metal band. There are elements of Nu metal but they are a bunch of things happening in their music, too much to waffle on about here—they're in a class of their own and probably more at home in the Switch Blade Symphony camp.

And of course then there is Amy's Angel vocals and it doesn't hurt she's easy on the eye!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:53 am

Dustofyears wrote:Evanescence is great, especially Fallen and open door. Amy didn't want or like the The yo-yo-cap-baggy jeans-home-boy rap as heard what the song that got them on the map (bring me to life) that was a record push due to the trend at the time. She was told she needs a male rapper in the video or no one will take seriously etc.

Also I wouldn't classify them as an out right Nu metal band. There are elements of Nu metal but they are a bunch of things happening in their music, too much to waffle on about here—they're in a class of their own and probably more at home in the Switch Blade Symphony camp.

And of course then there is Amy's Angel vocals and it doesn't hurt she's easy on the eye!
They're the closest I've gotten to finding a symphonic nu metal band... though they aren't really the thrashy nu-metal. I agree with all the points you made though.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:26 am

Nu metal sucks. 

I fixed it for ya.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, TZ75, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:37 am

That's the spirit
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:31 am

That Disciple song isn't nu metal. It's more of a groove metal / alternative metal song.

A lot of nu metal in general has more to do with groove metal than thrash. They are a lot more like Pantera than Slayer.

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:26 am

StevenCressler wrote:
Black Rider wrote:10 minute oil change was before they went nu, it actually still had a Pantera sound. I agree that nu is simpler, I like a few songs but not albums, except Chevelle, if they're considered nu.
Mostly
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:00 am

Follower of Jesus wrote:Nu metal sucks. 

I fixed it for ya.
Mostly. 😆
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:56 am

Thrash metal guitarists work 1000x harder on their riff quality than nu-metal guitarists do.  Plus they try to integrate different guitar textures to make things interesting:  clean channel melodic passages, dual guitar parts, guitar harmonies, guitar fills, and lead solos.

It creates for more interesting music even if the vocals are merely average.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Black Rider, Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:38 pm

Nu Metal is good ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.drawception.com%2Fimages%2Fpanels%2F2012%2F4-26%2FdW56ZtBWEk-2
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:23 pm

I admit that I haven't sought it out, but I've never heard any nu-metal that I actually liked.  To each their own though.  Smile

On a related note, some years ago I was helping out a friend do some IT work at a car dealer who had a company-wide virus.  We were there for a few days straight and the entire time the car dealer's IT team was blasting nu-metal and it was absolutely miserable haha.  It was a strange combo of aggressive tough-guy posturing and angst, and the lyrics were ridiculous too.  (It was all secular as far as I know.)

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:34 pm

I think a lot of you haven't heard good nu-metal
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:35 pm

Black Rider wrote:
StevenCressler wrote:
Mostly
Some of the songs definitely do have a hip-hop influence to the lyrics,
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content