The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite and least favorite metal genres?

+15
nocturnaliridescence
Ammocas
crucifyd
Constantine
TZ75
Son of Nun
Black Rider
ShotGunderson
MagnusPrime
Follower of Jesus
Pethead
Raegoul
Snakes & Metal
StevenCressler
seth
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Favorite and least favorite metal genres? - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite and least favorite metal genres?

Post by MagnusPrime Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:14 pm

Machine Fish wrote:

Point of order though...Hardcore, Metalcore, Grindcore, and Deathcore aren't actually metal, they're all subgenres of Punk, even though the current mainstream zeitgeist is to consider them Metal. 

THANK YOU!

I've been saying this for years and getting practically screamed at for pointing it out. 

"It's all metal, bro"

Actually no, it's not.

"You're an elitist, bro"

No, I like a ton of stuff on the harder end of the musical spectrum.

I also know enough about music to understand the differences between genres. 

If you enjoy "core" genres, that's perfectly fine. To each their own and all that. Just don't call it "metal".
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Machine Fish, Son of Nun, StevenCressler and ShotGunderson like this post

Back to top Go down

Favorite and least favorite metal genres? - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite and least favorite metal genres?

Post by seth Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:24 pm

Well technically metalcore, deathcore etc are fusions between metal and hardcore punk. Not pure metal for sure, and not pure punk either, but there’s some level of both. Some bands, like A Secret Ending, are mostly metal with a little bit of “core” influence, and I think bands like that can be counted as metal
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Machine Fish and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Machine Fish Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:22 am

Yeah so...genre fusion is definitely a thing, and I'm all for it. But I also think that we're too late in the game to change anyone's mind about what Metal is anymore. It's become a catch-all term for any heavy music, and like it or not, words and their meanings change over time.
Machine Fish
Machine Fish
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://linktr.ee/nathanKmcwilliams

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ShotGunderson Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:00 pm

My problem with the “core” genres is that they have been done and re-done to the point that they’ve become a giant monstrosity where everything sounds like everything else. It’s like the “hey guys, we’re cool too” genres
ShotGunderson
ShotGunderson
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Machine Fish Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:28 pm

ShotGunderson wrote:My problem with the “core” genres is that they have been done and re-done to the point that they’ve become a giant monstrosity where everything sounds like everything else. It’s like the “hey guys, we’re cool too” genres
To be fair...all the metal subgenres are at that point too. There isn't much variety inside of the subgenres anymore.
Machine Fish
Machine Fish
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

ShotGunderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ShotGunderson Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:38 pm

Machine Fish wrote:
ShotGunderson wrote:My problem with the “core” genres is that they have been done and re-done to the point that they’ve become a giant monstrosity where everything sounds like everything else. It’s like the “hey guys, we’re cool too” genres
To be fair...all the metal subgenres are at that point too. There isn't much variety inside of the subgenres anymore.
True, which is why most of what I listen to is at least 10-20 years old lol
ShotGunderson
ShotGunderson
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Machine Fish and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:39 pm

True, although I think this applies most to core and extreme metal. I know this is a hot take, but to me the vast majority of black and death metal sounds pretty much the same. The only bands that stand out to me in this area are the ones that go out of their way to incorporate interesting melodic elements into their music. But for any genre you will have all the mediocre clone bands trying to imitate the sound of the good bands, leading to lack of variety
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Machine Fish, StevenCressler and ShotGunderson like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Machine Fish Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:30 pm

ShotGunderson wrote:
Machine Fish wrote:
True, which is why most of what I listen to is at least 10-20 years old lol
 Lol
I prefer newer music but I'm not too picky. I'll listen to multiple generations of music on any given day.

I recognize overplayed and regurgitated as a concept but it's not a deal breaker haha

Last edited by Machine Fish on Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Machine Fish
Machine Fish
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Machine Fish Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:35 pm

seth wrote:True, although I think this applies most to core and extreme metal. I know this is a hot take, but to me the vast majority of black and death metal sounds pretty much the same. The only bands that stand out to me in this area are the ones that go out of their way to incorporate interesting melodic elements into their music. But for any genre you will have all the mediocre clone bands trying to imitate the sound of the good bands, leading to lack of variety
I absolutely agree.
Machine Fish
Machine Fish
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3