The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite and least favorite metal genres?

+15
nocturnaliridescence
Ammocas
crucifyd
Constantine
TZ75
Son of Nun
Black Rider
ShotGunderson
MagnusPrime
Follower of Jesus
Pethead
Raegoul
Snakes & Metal
StevenCressler
seth
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Favorite and least favorite metal genres? Empty Favorite and least favorite metal genres?

Post by seth Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:22 pm

Hard to pick a favorite for me, since I really like songs in several genres, but I’ll probably go with melodic thrash and the more aggressive side of traditional heavy metal, especially when combined together. Power metal is up there too, as is whatever genre Epta Astera is. 
As for least favorite, probably grindcore. Does this even count as metal? Idk, but for me it’s just unlistenable noise. Also “brutal” death metal
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Favorite and least favorite metal genres? Empty Re: Favorite and least favorite metal genres?

Post by StevenCressler Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:59 pm

Kind of my thoughts exactly, melodic thrash metal because I love the speed and aggressiveness of thrash, but for a song to be truly elite it needs melody IMO (hence why stuff like grindcore isn't really my thing) though for me the ideal type would be symphonic thrash metal, as I think violins/cellos add so much to metal/rock
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

seth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Favorite and least favorite metal genres? Empty Re: Favorite and least favorite metal genres?

Post by seth Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:17 pm

StevenCressler wrote:Kind of my thoughts exactly, melodic thrash metal because I love the speed and aggressiveness of thrash, but for a song to be truly elite it needs melody IMO (hence why stuff like grindcore isn't really my thing) though for me the ideal type would be symphonic thrash metal, as I think violins/cellos add so much to metal/rock
Have you heard some of Tourniquet’s later albums where they incorporate orchestra instruments into their songs? The Skeezix Dilemma part 2, which is one of TQT’s best songs from the Luke Easter era imo, has a cello intro before the heavy guitars kick in. Also if you like symphonic metal that still has aggressiveness, I bet you’d like Ecthirion. They combine several different metal styles with classical-style music with orchestra instruments. Recommend their album Psalms of the Risen Dead
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakes & Metal Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:28 pm

In order my favorite metal genres would be:

Death metal (especially the brutal, old school stuff)
Thrash Metal
Traditional heavy metal (Maiden, Priest, et al)
Doom metal
Black metal
Power metal
Snakes & Metal
Snakes & Metal
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

seth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:11 pm

seth wrote:
StevenCressler wrote:Kind of my thoughts exactly, melodic thrash metal because I love the speed and aggressiveness of thrash, but for a song to be truly elite it needs melody IMO (hence why stuff like grindcore isn't really my thing) though for me the ideal type would be symphonic thrash metal, as I think violins/cellos add so much to metal/rock
Have you heard some of Tourniquet’s later albums where they incorporate orchestra instruments into their songs? The Skeezix Dilemma part 2, which is one of TQT’s best songs from the Luke Easter era imo, has a cello intro before the heavy guitars kick in. Also if you like symphonic metal that still has aggressiveness, I bet you’d like Ecthirion. They combine several different metal styles with classical-style music with orchestra instruments. Recommend their album Psalms of the Risen Dead
Yeah I've heard some of the Tourniquet ones, and I will check out Ecthirion. Actually currently listening to "Evanescent," it's really good. My favorite song is currently Comatose by Skillet, which isn't that really aggressive, but the violin melody itself is great.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

seth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:47 pm

StevenCressler wrote:
seth wrote:
Yeah I've heard some of the Tourniquet ones, and I will check out Ecthirion. Actually currently listening to "Evanescent," it's really good. My favorite song is currently Comatose by Skillet, which isn't that really aggressive, but the violin melody itself is great.
Bruh check out Believer Dies Irae or Dimensions, thank me later.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:55 pm

StevenCressler wrote:
seth wrote:
Yeah Evanescent is a good one, also recommend On Eagle’s Wings, Uproot, and Chariots of Elysium
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:13 pm

Thrash, classic, power would be my favorites. 

Industrial and various types of core would be my least favorites.

The others would be between these.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

seth and Snakes & Metal like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:30 pm

Raegoul wrote:
StevenCressler wrote:
seth wrote:
okay I will
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:54 pm

Raegoul wrote:
StevenCressler wrote:
seth wrote:
Yeah, that was great. I love violin riffs.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Raegoul likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:02 am

I like melodic hard rock and heavy metal the best. Lots of big hooks, big BGVs, guitar solos, etc.

I can listen to some thrash, but typically only if it’s the melodic kind (Megadeth, Metallica, early Testament). Beyond that, there’s nothing for me in the heavier styles.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:41 am

These days I mainly stick to the more melodic styles and sounds. Rediscovering a lot of melodic hard rock/metal and melodic progressive metal. I still love a lot of thrash and power metal as well. Again, usually of the more melodic variety.

Most other hard rock or metal genres have at least one or two bands doing something interesting and worthwhile, so I'm not incredibly picky about genres these days.

That being said, my least favorite hard & heavy style would be the metalcore stuff. Never could get into it. They focus too much on breakdowns and fancy metal(ish) aesthetics, but almost completely forgot about a thing called songcraft. Oh and sounding different from one another.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:45 am

Best: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Hardcore and Punk Rock (if that counts)
Least: Industrial, Metalcore, Nu Metal / Crossover
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ShotGunderson Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:38 am

Favorites: black, death, thrash.

A blot on the genre of metal: power, metalcore/deathcore, nu-metal.
ShotGunderson
ShotGunderson
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:01 pm

Power metal is a blot? Metal Church has entered the chat.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ShotGunderson Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:38 pm

Black Rider wrote:Power metal is a blot? Metal Church has entered the chat.
I don’t know what it is but I can’t stand power metal. I used to listen to theocracy back in the day but I’ve got to where I don’t like it at all.
ShotGunderson
ShotGunderson
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Superjuice and Son of Nun like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:59 pm

ShotGunderson wrote:
Black Rider wrote:Power metal is a blot? Metal Church has entered the chat.
I don’t know what it is but I can’t stand power metal. I used to listen to theocracy back in the day but I’ve got to where I don’t like it at all.

There are two fairly distinct styles of power metal.

One is the US or North American style. Abbreviated USPM. Stuff like Metal Church, Iced Earth, Jag Panzer, Anvil, Attacker, etc.

The other is the Euro power metal style, which usually is more melodic and keyboard-heavy.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Superjuice, Pethead and ShotGunderson like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:00 pm

I like both kinds. Love me some flower metal.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider, MagnusPrime and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:01 pm

Favorite and least favorite metal genres? 5e2415f5-7223-45f8-ab53-bd1b03771ca7_text
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

MagnusPrime and ShotGunderson like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:22 pm

Power metal put in the same level as “core?” Heresy!
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:34 pm

Favorites: Death, Doom, Black.........Trad/Heavy

OK: Thrash, Speed, more aggressive Power Metal bands

Least favorites: Flower Power, Funeral Doom, Dissonant anything, Industrial/Noise, -core of any kind, nu-metal, glam/hard rock, etc.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

seth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:56 pm

It’s a toss up between thrash and classic metal for my favorite. 

My least favorite is by far “nu-metal”.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Ammocas, MagnusPrime and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:38 pm

Favorites:   USPM, Classic traditional 80's metal, Melodic metal / AOR, Blues-based Hard Rock, Speed metal

Least:   Metalcore, Deathcore / Pig Squeal, Euro PM, Funeral Doom, Industrial / Cybergrind, Slam

Everything else (e.g. thrash, black, doom, funk metal, etc.) is okay in varying doses
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Ammocas and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:50 pm

There’s a genre called “pig squeal?” I’m not familiar with that but it sounds pretty awful lol
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:51 pm

I have heard small samples of grindcore in which the vocals sounded like a pig grunting. It was so bad it was almost funny
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next