The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any Christians who like the band, Symphony X?

+3
Sevenoneself
Pethead
TopJosh (Josh L.)
7 posters

Go down

Any Christians who like the band, Symphony X? Empty Any Christians who like the band, Symphony X?

Post by TopJosh (Josh L.) Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:25 pm

Hi guys. This is my first topic post here. I wanted ask this. I'm curious, are there any Christians who was heard of the band, Symphony X? If so, are the any Christians who like the band, Symphony X? So far, I only listened to 1 or 2 songs by them. 

TopJosh (Josh L.)
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Any Christians who like the band, Symphony X? Empty Re: Any Christians who like the band, Symphony X?

Post by Pethead Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:47 pm

They’re good. Russell Allen has a great voice.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Any Christians who like the band, Symphony X? Empty Re: Any Christians who like the band, Symphony X?

Post by Sevenoneself Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:50 pm

I'm a huge fan of their earlier stuff. To my ears, Paradise Lost is almost a perfect album. But they lost me with the next few albums and I haven't sampled any of the recent stuff. Set The World On Fire & Eve of Seduction are almost perfect songs (IMHO). 

I love Russel Allen's voice as well. But I don't like his stage presence. So I enjoy the studio albums and don't watch the live videos!
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:03 am

Iconoclast has a mixed reception among fans, but I like it. Some great songs on it and it’s pretty dang heavy for prog.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:10 am

Michael Romeo is an absolute monster on the guitar and as a songwriter. I should probably listen to Icono and some of the others again.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:26 am

I love Symphony X!

Although I prefer their first 5 albums or so, you really can't go wrong with any of their releases.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

SevenWonders and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TopJosh (Josh L.) Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:57 am

Ok. What are your guys' favorite songs and albums by Symphony X?

TopJosh (Josh L.)
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:01 am

I was introduced to Symphony X by these early songs (I believe they were free downloads off of their site at that time):

Of Sins and Shadows
Inferno (Unleash the Fire)
In the Dragon's Den
The Accolade
Smoke & Mirrors

I'm not really a fan of the album V, but I think it's one of their most well-loved.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:38 am

Check out these from Iconoclast:

Iconoclast
The End of Innocence
Children of a Faceless God
When All Is Lost
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:24 pm

Welcome TopJosh!  I moved this thread from the general section.   Cool

As far as SX goes, I had one of their albums (the one with the epic at the end based on The Odyssey - I can't remember the name now) but I never got into it.  I know they're considered one of the top-tier prog bands so perhaps I should give 'em another try...

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:26 pm

Kerrick prefers bands no one can pronounce.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Kerrick, Andreas89, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TopJosh (Josh L.) Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:06 pm

Kerrick wrote:Welcome TopJosh!  I moved this thread from the general section.   Cool

As far as SX goes, I had one of their albums (the one with the epic at the end based on The Odyssey - I can't remember the name now) but I never got into it.  I know they're considered one of the top-tier prog bands so perhaps I should give 'em another try...
Ok Kerrick, I'm sorry. I thought I could post in the General forums because I saw in the rules saying, "But remember we are a MUSIC forum," and I thought could post it there. The reason why I posted it in the General forums was because I was curious if there are any Christians (devout followers of Christ Jesus) who has heard of and/or likes the band, Symphony X.

TopJosh (Josh L.)
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Kerrick, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:15 pm

No worries!  I think the idea of that comment was that the music (and faith, of course) is the primary reason folks come here and the main focus of this forum.  All other stuff is secondary.  Historically we've had users come solely just to talk politics and stir the pot which is not appreciated or welcome - and that's what that comment was addressing.

We have the music discussion section divided into three sub-sections (though admittedly, there's always going to be some cross-over and grey areas).

1. Christian Metal 
2. Secular Metal
3. Not Metal (Christian and secular folk, pop, punk, country, etc.)

Then there's the whole "Christians in a band" vs "Christian bands" but just use your discretion.  Smile  I'm not usually much of a stickler for those kinds of things.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:55 pm

Kerrick wrote:Welcome TopJosh!  I moved this thread from the general section.   Cool

Interestingly/Curiously/Inadvertently, the album is called..........wait for it...........The Odyssey!!!!
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:03 pm

lol! face palm

Hahahaha dangit.  In my defense, it was probably 15-20 years ago.   Embarassed

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:06 pm

Haha, Kerrick’s old.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Kerrick and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:17 pm

It's true!  Sigh...  My beard's got a couple spots that are getting grey!  Oy!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:17 pm

Don’t complain to me until you start losing your hair. I joined that lovely club a few years ago.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Kerrick and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TopJosh (Josh L.) Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:27 pm

What do you guys think of Symphony X's, "Paradise Lost," album?

TopJosh (Josh L.)
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:50 pm

Psh, look at the new guy bringing the thread back on topic as he should!   Razz

For someone new to SX, where would you recommend to start?

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:01 pm

TopJosh (Josh L.) wrote:What do you guys think of Symphony X's, "Paradise Lost," album?

Kerrick's correct; that's been debate on here multiple times.
I LOVE the music on this album, and I don't think there's much, if any, profanity. But I would never listen too much (as with anything secular) as the philosophy would begin to meld into my mind.

Kerrick wrote:Psh, look at the new guy bringing the thread back on topic as he should!   Razz

For someone new to SX, where would you recommend to start?

Though I really enjoy their music, I'm not an authority; I've never listened to all their albums. And your preferred style is different than mine. Possibly "V". It's a concept album and in places maybe a bit more atmospheric and therefore closer to death and doom?!?!  scratch
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:11 pm

They're one of those bands I don't mind but don't listen to much. He has a great voice but the albums with Jorn I find more interesting.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Constantine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:30 pm

I went to a Symphony X show back in the 90's, with Gothic Knights as the opener.

They're very talented and I like Russell Allen as a singer.  But with most modern prog metal bands, there's just too much highly technical, esoteric stuff going on in a song and it loses my interest quickly.  

I prefer more melodic or even "poppy" prog like Yes, Asia, U.K., Jethro Tull, Queensryche, Pink Floyd, Rush, Teramaze, Toto, Kansas, and some Dream Theater, Vanden Plas, and a few other bands here and there like Katatonia, Amorphis, Shadow Gallery, etc.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Black Rider and Ammocas like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down