The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New “stoner doom” band from ex-Mortification guitarist Mick Carlisle

+2
MagnusPrime
TZ75
6 posters

Go down

New “stoner doom” band from ex-Mortification guitarist Mick Carlisle Empty New “stoner doom” band from ex-Mortification guitarist Mick Carlisle

Post by TZ75 Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:45 pm

First Ted K dabbled with his stoner/doom projects and now Mick has a new band (that is not Christian), but plays the same slow and fuzzy music. Very similar to the band Sleep. 

https://bongcleanerdoom.bandcamp.com/album/bongcleaner-2
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

New “stoner doom” band from ex-Mortification guitarist Mick Carlisle Empty Re: New “stoner doom” band from ex-Mortification guitarist Mick Carlisle

Post by TZ75 Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:05 am

The ex-Crucified bassist Mark Johnson also has a Kyuss type band called Snail. 

https://snailhq.bandcamp.com/album/blood
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

New “stoner doom” band from ex-Mortification guitarist Mick Carlisle Empty Re: New “stoner doom” band from ex-Mortification guitarist Mick Carlisle

Post by MagnusPrime Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:07 am

Steve - Brain Cleaner

Michael - Bongcleaner

Come on Jayson, your turn.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:35 am

It just doesn't do anything for me. It even makes me wonder about the sanity of those who play it.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:19 am

I can handle Kyuss in small doses but most of stoner doom I find boring.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:49 pm

I wonder what Stoner Power Metal would sound like.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:16 pm

Down or Corrosion of Conformity might be kinda close.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:39 pm

WildWorld wrote:I wonder what Stoner Power Metal would sound like.

Closest I can think of is 80s Trouble. Had that whole Sabbath meets Priest thing going on.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead and TZ75 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:37 pm

I haven't listened but I wanted to pop in to say that injecting "stoner" into everything is what killed Doom Metal.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

CrimsonWarrior, Pethead and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:41 pm

You think Doom is dead? 🤔
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:56 pm

True Doom aka Trad/Epic Doom is pretty much dead. I've kept up with new releases very thoroughly and there's hardly any music in this style coming out. These albums must be outnumbered by stoner/psych stuff 100 to 1. I don't consider any extreme style played slow to be true Doom Metal so I'm not talking about Death/Doom or Funeral Doom or whatever.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Staybrite and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:01 am

Son of Nun wrote:True Doom aka Trad/Epic Doom is pretty much dead. I've kept up with new releases very thoroughly and there's hardly any music in this style coming out. These albums must be outnumbered by stoner/psych stuff 100 to 1. I don't consider any extreme style played slow to be true Doom Metal so I'm not talking about Death/Doom or Funeral Doom or whatever.
This! New “stoner doom” band from ex-Mortification guitarist Mick Carlisle 1f446 

The proliferation of the stoner style and its usurping of the doom genre is why I don't really listen to much of it anymore.

Most stoner "doom" stuff sounds the same to me. Simplistic bluesy riffing played through sloppy fuzzed-out distortion. Some bands are alright I guess but it's not a sound I'm into for the most part as I find it very boring. I do really like the song "Black Flower" by Spirit Caravan though. 

When I think of doom metal, I think of bands like Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus and Trouble's 80s albums.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:07 am

There's still bands like that around. When you think about it, those bands you list are doom but don't sound alike yet their roots are in the Black Sabbath sound. I think bands realized even BS weren't straight doom and didn't want to be limited by it.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:23 am

Sabbath did it right! 

They invented doom, but never were defined by it. Like most bands in the 70’s, they experimented and tried different things. Trouble also expanded their sound. 

That’s why Sabbath and Trouble are my faves! Not to mention that Ozzy and Eric Wagner had such iconic voices that compliment the riffs. Ronnie Dio also had a great voice!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down