The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dreamer: Joseph Part One, the new project from Neal Morse

+7
Andreas89
BaleMaster
CrimsonWarrior
Black Rider
Frozen Fire
Pethead
Lex Metalis
11 posters

Go down

The Dreamer: Joseph Part One, the new project from Neal Morse Empty The Dreamer: Joseph Part One, the new project from Neal Morse

Post by Lex Metalis Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:51 am

Pre-orders open NOW for Neal Morse's new solo prog rock concept album, The Dreamer - Joseph: Part One  here which is released on August 11th 2023.

Neal Morse will sign the first 200 pre-orders and 5 pre-orders chosen at random will receive a unique handwritten copy of the lyrics to “Like A Wall”, the first single, written and signed by Neal.

On the heels of the “Jesus Christ the Exorcist” Rock Opera, Neal Morse’s latest prog epic aptly entitled “The Dreamer – Joseph: Part One” tells the classic story of Joseph (the one with the coat of many colors!) using the medium of progressive rock as only he can!

The story unfolds with Morse employing amazing vocalists like Ted Leonard, Matt Smith and Jake Livgren to sing in the roles of Joseph’s brothers, as they grow dark with jealousy and throw him in the pit.

As well as casting the characters in the story, Neal also sought out the finest musicians for the musical “roles”. So you’ll hear the soaring guitar playing of Steve Morse and Eric Gillette among others, as this familiar story comes alive through amazing music that will thrill all fans of progressive rock. The album however has everything a fan would look for: from long epics and odd time signatures, to very melodic and song-oriented tracks.

“The Dreamer – Joseph: Part One” is everything you would hope for from a new Neal Morse progressive rock album and more. And this is just Part 1, ending with Joseph in prison for a crime he didn’t commit. “Part 2” will follow in 2024!

“I have to say I am extremely pleased with the way this album came out!” explains Neal Morse.  “As with many creative endeavors, there are times along the way where you start to wonder where you’re at and if it will come together in the end. I am so happy to report that this one really has come together and exceeded my expectations! The guest vocalists are fantastic,and the string arrangements are extraordinary! Jerry Guidroz did an exceptional job on the mix, and I am so excited to share this album with all of you! Now on to part two…”

The Dreamer: Joseph Part One, the new project from Neal Morse Nm10
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

oldschooldoom likes this post

Back to top Go down

The Dreamer: Joseph Part One, the new project from Neal Morse Empty Re: The Dreamer: Joseph Part One, the new project from Neal Morse

Post by Pethead Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:13 pm

I am pretty tolerant with Christian music, but I just can’t get into Neal because he claims to not believe in the Trinity. That’s a bridge too far for me.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider, Kerrick, CrimsonWarrior, Andreas89 and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

The Dreamer: Joseph Part One, the new project from Neal Morse Empty Re: The Dreamer: Joseph Part One, the new project from Neal Morse

Post by Frozen Fire Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:15 pm

It's always tough for me with Neal. I was drawn in with Testimony (and Spock's Beard "Snow" prior to that). His Testimony albums, "?," Sola Scriptura," and "Sola Gratia" all covered scriptural and historical grounds in interesting ways. Similitude of a Dream covered Pilgrim's Progress well (one of my favorite books) both musically and lyrically.

As for other projects and albums, they have been more mixed. The Great Adventure took a leap off Pilgrim's Progress, Innocence and Danger didn't have much a message at all. Some of his other albums I never bothered with. 

For me the only album that really demonstrated his theology was his concept album on Christ which was notable for its absence of true, majestic praise for Christ. It's just not the same when the writer takes Jesus as just a created being. The glory of Revelation is lost when all heaven and earth come together to praise a creature, a mere man. I honestly don't get it.

Clearly I've purchased much of the man's material but, every time I think about it the tension regarding his theology gets me. I always struggle between when I know the members are heretics and when I don't (and find out later). The only thing that ends up changing is my perception of the music when I find out.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Black Rider, Andreas89, Pethead, Sevenoneself and Second Wind like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:45 pm

Is Neal actually an Arian who thinks Jesus was created? I wasn’t aware he was that extreme.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:45 pm

Pethead wrote:Is Neal actually an Arian who thinks Jesus was created? I wasn’t aware he was that extreme.

This thread is ancient so who knows how Neal has changed over the years. At least it is in his own words:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/nealmorse/neal-answers-theology-question-t1233.html
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

CrimsonWarrior, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:09 pm

If that’s what he is saying there and that’s what he thinks, I would move all discussion of his music to the secular part of the forum.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Kerrick, CrimsonWarrior and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:11 pm

Should start a heresy section, half the Christian bands would go in there.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Staybrite, Kerrick, crucifyd, CrimsonWarrior, Andreas89, Pethead, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:20 pm

In that thread he denies the deity of Christ. Thanks for sharing that, Frozen Fire.

It's really sad how much "Christian" metal isn't actually Christian at all.
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Frozen Fire, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:23 pm

At the risk of derailing the thread, I find it very sad when people get swept away by ideas like "doctrine doesn't really matter, as long as you love God and follow Jesus!"

It is very often that case that those who say such things love and follow after an idol they dreamt up.
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Staybrite, Kerrick, crucifyd, Andreas89, Pethead, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:23 pm

Dude, it’s bad enough to make me want to just listen to secular music.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider, Kerrick, CrimsonWarrior, Andreas89 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:40 pm

To be fair, my mother and several others have consistently brought up the text of "O Holy Night" being written by an atheist. It's not in some hymnals for that reason. True things are true whether those things are said, sung, or written by those who are false. Obviously we'll disagree on what to do with that when it comes to music in particular. People mention the above hymn because I consistently put in our worship services year to year. I sing it from the heart, though the writer didn't write it from the heart.

Regarding Neal: 

For me, coming out of an unsaved life into life with Christ, Neal's "Testimony" album meant a lot to me (before I knew his views). "Christian music" in general meant a lot because I had decades of horrid crud stuck in my head from secular death, thrash, black metal, etc. I'm someone who reads lyrics and sings (growls) them alongside the song. It was refreshing. Like I said, I've struggled with purchasing Neal's material but there is a place for it somewhere in my life. My kids love his Pilgrim's Progress material.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, eatbugs, Pethead, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:26 pm

I'm not saying don't listen but if Neal really is into Arianism I don't think he's saved.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

CrimsonWarrior, Pethead, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:51 pm

Yeah, a new believer holding Trinitarian heresies is one thing. But if he’s had the truth explained to him and has refused it, that’s a whole other problem.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider, Frozen Fire, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:11 pm

CrimsonWarrior wrote:At the risk of derailing the thread, I find it very sad when people get swept away by ideas like "doctrine doesn't really matter, as long as you love God and follow Jesus!"

It is very often that case that those who say such things love and follow after an idol they dreamt up.
WHICH Jesus? Galatians 1:6-8 FTW!
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, CrimsonWarrior, Frozen Fire, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:03 am

I'm very torn on how to proceed with Neal Morse. I love his music, especially the One album, and I own most if not all of his regular albums up to 2019. There's also the memory that I have when my wife and I were about to move to Germany in the summer of 2015 but we had some kind of gift card to spend because of a birthday or being university students or something so we were looking if there was something to do with it and I found out about a Neal Morse concert that same day. So we went and had a fantastic time (I was almost beheaded by Neal's guitar when he was barging into the audience).

As for the Trinity and the deity of Christ, those are things I have always believed in myself but since I thought they were kind of hard to comprehend I have been really mild towards people who didn't believe those things. Over the years I have been reading and listening to more about it and I was struck how much those two doctrines are simply exegetical necessities that flow from the text of Scripture. To be a christian for more than 20 years and rejecting those things is painful, to say the least. If you as an alleged believer are reading the Bible on a regular basis you must actively resist the work of the Spirit to say that Jesus has not been God Himself from eternity, or to deny personhood to the Holy Spirit.

It's still a really painful case for me. Neal seems like a great guy, his lyrics have really cut deep at times and I don't like playing the doctrine police. I truly hope he will come to see the full truth. And failing that, that the Lord will be milder on (borderline) heretics than He has instructed His church to be.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Black Rider, Christian metal Horde, Frozen Fire, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:49 pm

I really want to defend Neal Morse.
1) I love his music (at least the majority of it).
2) It has brought me closer to the Lord.
3) It has given me and my children great prog rock to listen to that isn't secular.
4) I've always liked Mike Portnoy and think I've seen progress towards Christianity since he's been hanging out more with Neal.
5) Probably more reasons as well.

My spiritual gifts and personality are geared more towards practical godliness and unity so I know I will swing towards accepting Neal than standing strong on proper doctrine. I care strongly about doctrine, but I have more a pull towards other areas than, say, a teacher or theologian.

But denying the trinity. In my theological journey the last decade or so, I've come to find that ONE (yes, only one) litmus test of the importance of a doctrine is how long it's been around. And the trinity was nailed down a long time ago!

And 75 pages on that thread?!?! A little overwhelming to work through. I'd like to read through it all at some point. 

I do have some sympathy for Neal not wanting to go past what Scripture teaches. In my theological journey, I've also learned that many doctrinal fights occur because of systematic theology, and how difficult it can be to summarize a topic using verses from all across the Bible. For that reason, I have been putting less emphasis (again, not NO emphasis, but LESS emphasis) on systemitizing Scripture. 

If someone wants to resurrect, or start, a thread on the doctrine of the Trinity, I'd be interesting in learning and hashing out some of this stuff.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Frozen Fire and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:12 am

I'm giving a first spin now and liking what I'm hearing
Thanx Lex
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:25 pm

I was watching this video yesterday and did a double-take because I know the bass player, Chris.   
But he wasn't credited and and Neal's usual bass player is Randy George, so I was puzzled.   
But I messaged Chris and sure enough, he confirmed that is him in the video because Randy wasn't available.

Chris has an M.A. in Theological Studies and we both worked for the same large church.  He's very solid.  
Maybe he'll have a good influence on Neal....

Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KaramKaram Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:47 pm

Joseph Pt II is available for review. 

BTW this is the lineup

Lineup:
Nick D’Virgilio
Eric Gillette
Gabe Klein
Neal Morse
Sam Hunter
Gideon Klein
Alan Morse
Mark Leniger
Bill Hubauer

Cast:
Neal Morse
Ted Leonard
Matt Smith
Nick D’Virgilio
Ross Jennings
Alan Morse
Jake Livgren
Mark Pogue
Talon David
Wil Morse
KaramKaram
KaramKaram
Deadpool
Deadpool

https://lotsofmuzik.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down