The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A fan of certain albums or all the albums?

+11
Sevenoneself
Temple of Blood
Fundy
mothy
CrimsonWarrior
Follower of Jesus
Constantine
Dustofyears
Pethead
eatbugs
Soldier777
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A fan of certain albums or all the albums? Empty A fan of certain albums or all the albums?

Post by Soldier777 Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:58 pm

I figured I would bounce off the When did Petra lose you thread. I'll make this more general and ask 2 questions: 

1. What are a few bands in your collection that you are not a fan of all their albums? Here are a few of mine: 

Deliverance: River Disturbance and Camelot (original version).
Guardian: Swing Swang Swung and Buzz is are ok albums and most of the songs are decent. I mostly hate Bottle Rocket. Their 2014 album Almost Home is kind of bland. 
Holy Soldier: Promise Man is 60% good. I don't mind the slow rockers. 
King James: I hated The Fall and sold that one. 
Rez: Didn't care for Appendectomy and I find Rainbows End had 3 mor 4 songs that are good. Civil Rites had some good songs and the rest are ok. I need to give Civil Rites another listen. 
Whitecross: Equilibrium is a terrible title and album and Flytrap isn't the best. Unveiled is not bad. It has some good songs. 

2. Do you buy every album of a band even those you don't like?
Depends on the band. I mostly collect everything and there are a few bands I'll collect certain albums. I have every Whitecross album up to Flytrap and I'm thinking of selling that one and Equilibrium.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

A fan of certain albums or all the albums? Empty Re: A fan of certain albums or all the albums?

Post by eatbugs Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:10 pm

1. It's relative.  Deliverance - Assimilation is actually not bad when you want that kind of music, but it's not Deliverance.  Same holds true for the other bands you listed (Promise Man is really good but should not have been called HS, same with Whitecross post Rex).  Maybe add post-Scarecrow Bride to the list.  There are probably others but I can't think of them.

2. Usually no.  Only if I really like the band's good material and only if there are only a few duds.  I got Petra - Revival solely to complete the collection.  Once I buy something I don't get rid of it, I just try to filter and not buy blind in the first place.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

A fan of certain albums or all the albums? Empty Re: A fan of certain albums or all the albums?

Post by Pethead Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:32 pm

1. A couple come to mind:

Petra. I’m a fanatic, but I never listen to Revival or Double Mistake Take.

Rez. I know I’m a heretic, but I’ve never really cared for Awaiting Your Reply. Rainbow’s End was a definite improvement, but Colours is when they really got good.

2. Only for certain all-time favorite bands. Petra and Rez both qualify.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:44 pm

Pethead wrote:1. A couple come to mind:

Petra. I’m a fanatic, but I never listen to Revival or Double Mistake Take.

Rez. I know I’m a heretic, but I’ve never really cared for Awaiting Your Reply. Rainbow’s End was a definite improvement, but Colours is when they really got good.

2. Only for certain all-time favorite bands. Petra and Rez both qualify.
Woah fella, that's blasphemy! That album rivals anything from Zep or sabbath or any of those classic rock acts. Anyway, fair enough though I'll try not cry about it!

And to answer the OP's question— Pretty much every band or most at least that I'm into except King's x, even if they a few weaker albums I still like them and they always, without fail, grow on me after a few decent spins. Their hooks aren't immediate especially in the later albums. Actually Seventh Angel have a flawless record in my opinion too. But other than those I'm pretty sure other bands I dig have albums I dislike among the one's I love.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

eatbugs and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:46 pm

I don't think there is a band in all creation where I will like all of their albums. 
And I certainly would not buy a band's albums I do not like, unless I liked at least 2 songs from one and found it for a few dollars in a used store.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Black Rider, CrimsonWarrior, Andreas89, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:52 am

There are very few bands that I like every album. Today, with Spotify, I can listen to anything first, and I will never buy an album just to complete a collection. Forgive me if you do that, but I could never understand spending money on something that you don’t want to listen to. Who cares if you have a collection?
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Staybrite, CrimsonWarrior, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:49 am

As far as I remember, the only band for which I intentionally bought everything was Vaakevandring. But they had just one demo, and three releases of it. So I got all three versions. Kinda pointless looking back on it. I have never even listened to the cassette version because I don't have a means of playing it, lol.

For any band that has released at least five albums, there's a pretty big chance I'm not gonna like at least one of them.
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:20 am

1. For me there are some and the ones that come to mind are
Bloodgood: I really can only get into Detonation and the S/T
Tourniquet: Only like Psychosurgery
Trytan: Only like Blood of Kings

2. Back in the old days you got stuck with clunker of albumns becuse of that lack of previewing, but nowadays I try to sample at least once all the way through. If it doesnt click it goes on a "maybe" list and ill try to listen another time later down the road, but I wont buy nowadays unless it really clicks with me.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:55 am

Constantine wrote:I don't think there is a band in all creation where I will like all of their albums.
What about Rage Of Angels?  Laughing
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Staybrite, crucifyd, Xid, Pethead, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:30 am

For Christian bands, I only like the total discographies of Faith Factor and Warlord.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:22 pm

Fundy wrote:
Constantine wrote:I don't think there is a band in all creation where I will like all of their albums.
What about Rage Of Angels?  Laughing
Yep, I figured 1-album bands were excluded but should have made that clear....Smile

Although I was thinking of a 2-album secular band where I didn't like the 2nd album at 1st, but because that's all they ever recorded, the 2nd album grew on me.  Still not a great album but that can happen if you really like the band Smile
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:24 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:For Christian bands, I only like the total discographies of Faith Factor and Warlord.
Not Temple of Blood?  Very Happy
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:43 pm

To piggy-back on what others said, almost no band with a long discography has an unblemished record.  Some are perfect, but those bands (Seventh Angel was mentioned) have small discographies.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:01 pm

Man, I’ve got several bands with multiple albums where I like them all: Idle Cure, WhiteHeart, Tourniquet, Theocracy, to name a few. I might like some albums less than others, but I like them all.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:09 pm

A couple more for the original question:

Saint. I never spin The Perfect Life. I only own it because it was part of the Saint Collection I bought many years ago.

Bloodgood. I’ve tried over the years with Dangerously Close and, while I like a few songs, I just cannot really get into this album. Funnily, it is the only one of theirs I own on vinyl.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:02 pm

Pethead wrote:Man, I’ve got several bands with multiple albums where I like them all: Idle Cure, WhiteHeart, Tourniquet, Theocracy, to name a few. I might like some albums less than others, but I like them all.
Theocracy and Antestor have both made four albums that are all great in my view (though some of them are better than others). But bands like Living Sacrifice, Deliverance, Tourniquet (sorry), and Mortification, who have more full-length albums, tend to be less consistently good.
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:32 pm

Pethead wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:For Christian bands, I only like the total discographies of Faith Factor and Warlord.
Not Temple of Blood?  Very Happy

Them too, but I didn't feel it was appropriate to list them.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Pethead, Constantine and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:31 pm

It only tooks a few months of being part of the CMR to re-realize how subjective appreciation of art is. I have been listening to many more styles and albums than I've done in the previous decade.

20-30 years ago it was a almost a matter of personal integrity to listen to albums all the way through. Now I realize it was mostly because it took more effort to skip songs on record and cassette than to just listen through them (even after the song-skip feature came out on higher end tape players). 

Skip to today: I have my whole offline collection on our home computer but I often sync just my favourite songs from albums onto my phone. Even from my favourite bands and albums. I'm a friggin' product of our modern age!

Start off with question #2 - No, I would never buy an album if I'm not into it.

Question #1. I'll think about it
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:51 pm

I like all of Theocracy, Daniel Band, Trytan and if you toss out Onward To Freedom which is really Ted and guests mostly, all of TQT.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:55 pm

^^ good call on Daniel Band and Trytan. I like all of those as well. Looking forward to the new Trytan this year.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider, Superjuice, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:04 pm

And The Brave, everyone with good taste loves all their albums
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:13 pm

I like all of: Theocracy (4 albums), Betrayal (2), Angelica (5), Haven (2), S91 (2), Vengeance Rising (4). 

So I guess my limit so far is 4 albums. I expect when the new Theocracy is released it will be 5.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

CrimsonWarrior and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:14 pm

Haven has 3.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Superjuice and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:19 pm

Pethead wrote:Haven has 3.

I wondered if my sub-standard-music-history would cause me to make a mistake!
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Superjuice and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:14 am

Well its really just Ayers and guest musicians. I thought I remember reading the band even tried to make him not use the name Haven for the release.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next