The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christian Black Metal: aesthetics, etc.

+4
WildWorld
jaydeecrawson
MagnusPrime
Lex Metalis
8 posters

Go down

Christian Black Metal: aesthetics, etc. Empty Christian Black Metal: aesthetics, etc.

Post by Lex Metalis Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:05 pm

A thread to talk about the aesthetics (sound, image ...), etc of Christian Black Metal. Born from this thread
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Christian Black Metal: aesthetics, etc. Empty Re: Christian Black Metal: aesthetics, etc.

Post by MagnusPrime Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:16 pm

They like to wear spikey stuff.

They never look like they're having a good time.

Why is it called Black Metal? They're usually white guys.

Someone needs to inform them that this is cultural appropriation.

Black Metal Matters.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Staybrite, Kerrick, Andreas89, Pethead, TZ75 and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Christian Black Metal: aesthetics, etc. Empty Re: Christian Black Metal: aesthetics, etc.

Post by jaydeecrawson Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:04 am

prob didn't need another thread...

I thought we pretty much covered that topic and put it to bed.

jaydeecrawson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:39 am

jaydeecrawson wrote:prob didn't need another thread...

I thought we pretty much covered that topic and put it to bed.

Maybe, but the original thread was about a single and almost all the coments isn't about the song, lol
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Frozen Fire and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:50 pm

I do find the term "unblack" or "white" metal kind of dumb though. You dont see Christian Death Metal bands calling themselves "life" metal after all.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

ThomasEversole, Dustofyears, MagnusPrime and scottmitchell74 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:33 pm

WildWorld wrote:I do find the term "unblack" or "white" metal kind of dumb though. You dont see Christian Death Metal bands calling themselves "life" metal after all.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but I've seen it suggested.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:33 pm

"Undeath Metal", no wait, "Undead Metal", no wait, "Not Death Metal", no wait...um...
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:10 am

Maybe we should call Christian Punk Rock,  "Respected member of the community Rock". Maybe Christian Gangsta Rap (yes, it does exist) could be called "Lawful Rap"

Laughing

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Dustofyears and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:25 am

WildWorld wrote:Maybe we should call Christian Punk Rock,  "Respected member of the community Rock". Maybe Christian Gangsta Rap (yes, it does exist) could be called "Lawful Rap"

Laughing
But we are not under the law. Lawless Rap?
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:59 am

Raegoul wrote:
WildWorld wrote:Maybe we should call Christian Punk Rock,  "Respected member of the community Rock". Maybe Christian Gangsta Rap (yes, it does exist) could be called "Lawful Rap"

Laughing
But we are not under the law. Lawless Rap?
 Sorry to break it to you, we're all under the law and locked into the grid.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:03 am

Laughing
"K' I thought unblack metal and white metal melted the cheese on my toast, but now you're telling me there is Christian "Gangsta" rap... Christian's in the "hood" so to speak face palm Rolling Eyes Rolf 1

What's a group that falls under this title...
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:15 am

Dustofyears wrote:

Laughing
"K' I thought unblack metal and white metal melted the cheese on my toast, but now you're telling me there is Christian "Gangsta" rap... Christian's in the "hood" so to speak face palm Rolling Eyes Rolf 1

We jackin' cars, yo ....for the Lord!
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:34 am

MagnusPrime wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

Laughing

Gonna pop a verse in yo brain foo'... Glory to God, forsho, dawg.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:26 am

Dustofyears wrote:
MagnusPrime wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

Laughing

Christian Black Metal: aesthetics, etc. 1f602  Christian Black Metal: aesthetics, etc. 1f602  Christian Black Metal: aesthetics, etc. 1f606  Christian Black Metal: aesthetics, etc. 1f606 

We gonna do a drive-by on the devil, yo!
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:27 am

MagnusPrime wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
MagnusPrime wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

Laughing

Christian Black Metal: aesthetics, etc. 1f602  Christian Black Metal: aesthetics, etc. 1f602  Christian Black Metal: aesthetics, etc. 1f606  Christian Black Metal: aesthetics, etc. 1f606 

We gonna do a drive-by on the devil, yo!
POp pop pop, then do the JC crip walk face palm I gotta check this out see if ya'll's for reals.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:18 am

Don't mean to derail thread (kind of similar) but had to look for myself and look what I found! There's even actually a JC Crip walk at the start. And I was joking... this... this takes the cake!

Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:51 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:"Undeath Metal", no wait, "Undead Metal", no wait, "Not Death Metal", no wait...um...
This would be Undead Metal:

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:35 pm

WildWorld wrote:I do find the term "unblack" or "white" metal kind of dumb though.

Right?  Might as well call the Blues genre that doesn't have 'blue' lyrics, "Unblues" or "Oranges" at this rate. 

"Unblack metal" was brilliant marketing when Rowe was selling new Horde CDs in 1996, but even they stopped calling the whole genre 'unblack' within a few catalogs.  So many people still associate black metal with evil, unblack metal with the Christian alternative to black metal.  (I'm uncertain if its laymans or casual listeners are keeping this terminology alive, or if veterans aren't pushing back.  ie: some atheist listens to Christian black metal, says "Christian lyrics?  This is not black metal." and the response they've got is, "Yes honey.  Its unblack metal, because its not black metal like you say.", rather than "Its black metal too, and you don't own the genre, so if you don't like it, here's a towel for you to cry into.")

I might rock the boat saying this, but I've been frustrated to the point of losing interest in a lot of Christian (extreme) metal the past few years, if it caters to a 'metal ideology' beyond just music. 

Yes, there are musical characteristics that must be met for the music to be considered whatever genre of metal, but Christians still putting in their Christian albums: skulls, upside down crosses, tree branch looking logos, dressing like goths, edgelord demon killing lyrics...

Over the years, I've certainly been guilty of some of that, but for whatever reason now, its beyond cringe to me.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:37 pm

What did you think of the Christian pop-metal bands using the "glam" aesthetics (ie, poofy hair, lipstick, eyeliner, shiny shirts, etc)?

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:53 pm

WildWorld wrote:What did you think of the Christian pop-metal bands using the "glam" aesthetics (ie, poofy hair, lipstick, eyeliner, shiny shirts, etc)?

Before, I felt it was 'just part of the genre'.  The look and the sound just went together as a package deal.

Now, I feel like that caters to 'metal ideology', similar to corpsepaint wearing Christian black metal bands.

Not saying its sin or wrong or anything like that. That music/imagery/appearance package deal is 'metal tradition' at this point. 

...but I doubt Christian band members would have ever made themselves look that way, if non-Christians never looked that way.  If a Christian glam metal act wore regular clothes and didn't have sales, I'd say that would have more to do with their music or marketing lacking, more than it would failing the expected imagery or dress codes.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:59 pm

Makes me wonder what would happen if a full-on Anti-Christian band like Deicide became Christians. Would they keep the name (if just for recognition)?

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:09 pm

WildWorld wrote:Makes me wonder what would happen if a full-on Anti-Christian band like Deicide became Christians. Would they keep the name (if just for recognition)?
No one would listen to them. Not the world not the christian. Bad career move. And besides they like most bands, have three, and some say four, classic albums and now they are boring to mediocre at best. Those first three though, don't get much better in death metal, 'cept for maybe morbid angel and scrolls being on par in my opinion anyway.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down