Christian Black Metal doc

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Christian Black Metal doc

Post by sentient 6 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:49 pm

Heres a video that I found interesting discussing Christian BM.

avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5802
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:05 pm

Interesting to see that even among Christian musicians, there is disagreement as to whether or not to call it black metal.

I watched the first 8 minutes, will watch more later. Very good so far.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:30 pm

Interesting! Thanks for posting!

Yeah, I've heard that argument before. Calling it Unblack, as Black stands for Satanism. I can see both sides to this issue.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by sentient 6 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:36 pm

I think its just a term so people can get a radar-fix on what kind of metal they are about to listen too.

.....just like " death " metal. You wanna confuse people ? Start saying your band plays " life " metal. Wink
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5802
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:41 pm

Yeah, I agree sentient. That's why I always call it Black Metal. But I have a few friends who call in Unblack if it's Christian. Kinda weird, but I never argue with them lol!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by CrimsonWarrior on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:59 pm

I watched this documentary a while ago.

I understand both sides to a certain extent but I agree with the people who call it black metal rather than unblack. As explained in the video, the old definition of black metal is outdated. It doesn't have to be Satanic or evil anymore. It's simply a name for a genre. It implies a sound but no specific lyrics.

That being said, I can understand why Jayson Sherlock called his music "holy unblack metal". Back in 1994, almost all black metal was Satanic.
avatar
CrimsonWarrior
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 117
Join date : 2015-07-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:13 pm

Good points, Crimson!



Thumbs up

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by d@v!d on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:46 pm

Interesting video
avatar
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3505
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Visiting

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Deepfriar on Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:09 pm

Yeah I saw this documentary a while ago as well. It's a good one. Tough to find high production value Christian black metal interviews so this kind of film is always welcome. Makes a person think too I suppose, though I have been into black metal for many years now.

PILGRIM IS THE MAN!!!  HA!

Love the clip from Horde live in Oslo too.
avatar
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 2568
Join date : 2012-04-14
Age : 35
Location : east TN

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Grindboy on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:09 pm

Yeah, I remember this making the rounds before.  It's pretty interesting for what it is, I suppose.

I love how Nicholas from Pantokrator is smiling and chuckling and lighthearted the whole way though.  Seems very "un-black metal" but seems like he'd be actually fun to hang out with.  Although. . . does anybody consider Pantokrator black metal?  Or even close?

Also of course love the "black metal scholar" guy (that's even a funny phrase) saying that Crimson Moonlight's the best black metal band around.  Of course I'm not sure they're really black metal anymore either, exactly, but whatever they are they're my band!

Grindboy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 763
Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : Somersworth NH

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Throne of thorns on Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:57 pm

After listening to a few bands ...I cant take Christian black metal seriously........or "UnBLACK" I mean even that is a joke in itself......
avatar
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 602
Join date : 2013-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by CrimsonWarrior on Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:13 am

Grindboy wrote:I love how Nicholas from Pantokrator is smiling and chuckling and lighthearted the whole way though.  Seems very "un-black metal" but seems like he'd be actually fun to hang out with.  Although. . . does anybody consider Pantokrator black metal?  Or even close?

Also of course love the "black metal scholar" guy (that's even a funny phrase) saying that Crimson Moonlight's the best black metal band around.  Of course I'm not sure they're really black metal anymore either, exactly, but whatever they are they're my band!
I agree about Nicholas. He seems fun to hang out with. And you're right, Pantokrator's not a black metal band, they're progressive death.

CM is still black metal, they're just black/death now (and have been since 2004).
avatar
CrimsonWarrior
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 117
Join date : 2015-07-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by d@v!d on Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:09 am

Throne of thorns wrote:After listening to a few bands ...I cant take Christian black metal seriously........or "UnBLACK" I mean even that is a joke in itself......
I'm curious. Is that based on the quality of the music or the pretense of lyrical expression coupled with the music, or what about it troubles you?
avatar
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3505
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Visiting

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by messiaen77 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:33 am

CrimsonWarrior wrote:I watched this documentary a while ago.

I understand both sides to a certain extent but I agree with the people who call it black metal rather than unblack. As explained in the video, the old definition of black metal is outdated. It doesn't have to be Satanic or evil anymore. It's simply a name for a genre. It implies a sound but no specific lyrics.

That being said, I can understand why Jayson Sherlock called his music "holy unblack metal". Back in 1994, almost all black metal was Satanic.
Agree completely.  I think Jayson remains convinced that there is a strong distinction between black metal and unblack metal.  Seems I saw him at some point (maybe on FB) talk about how Christians cannot play black metal.

Personally, I think unblack is a dumb label, but I understand why people want to distinguish and I don't argue with or mock them.  Live by your convictions.
avatar
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3255
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 46
Location : hiding in the bushes

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by CrimsonWarrior on Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:42 pm

Throne of Thorns, I can recommend some good bands if the quality is the issue.
avatar
CrimsonWarrior
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 117
Join date : 2015-07-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Drawnsword on Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:39 pm

Besides Satanism and the Occult, which of these other common Black Metal ideologies is not negative?
utter hopelessness / racism/ hatred / misanthropy/ individualism / nihilism / paganism / glorification of evil / suicidal depression / demonic/ torment oppression / etc

negative = black
avatar
Drawnsword
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 368
Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : Land of the long white chemtrails

http://drawnswordgraphix.blogspot.co.nz/

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by CrimsonWarrior on Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:27 pm

Drawnsword, what would you call black metal bands like Bal-Sagoth then? They're not Christian but they're also not negative.

Modifying a genre's name based on the lyrics just seems unnecessary to me.
avatar
CrimsonWarrior
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 117
Join date : 2015-07-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Drawnsword on Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:38 pm

At a glance an allegory of evil glorification fantasy.

True Black Metal denies being a genre.
avatar
Drawnsword
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 368
Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : Land of the long white chemtrails

http://drawnswordgraphix.blogspot.co.nz/

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by CrimsonWarrior on Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:14 pm

Drawnsword wrote:True Black Metal denies being a genre.
What does "true black metal" call itself then?...
avatar
CrimsonWarrior
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 117
Join date : 2015-07-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Drawnsword on Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:49 pm

CrimsonWarrior wrote:
Drawnsword wrote:True Black Metal denies being a genre.
What does "true black metal" call itself then?...
Pure Fooking Evil! Black Metal is a movement, an underground expression of black ideologies and an extreme rebellion of sound, spirit, and feeling that's not even understood by the general mainstream metal scene mostly.
avatar
Drawnsword
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 368
Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : Land of the long white chemtrails

http://drawnswordgraphix.blogspot.co.nz/

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by CrimsonWarrior on Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:15 am

Um...I'll just quote Pilgrim and leave it at that.

"We believe that all kinds of music are now neutral. I mean, a music genre cannot be "evil" itself. It all depends on the purpose: why you're doing it and what the lyrics are about. I will use an illustration to explain: a knife in the hands of a murderer can kill life, but a knife in the hands of a doctor can save life. Now is the knife evil itself? No, it depends on how you use it. The power is in our hands to decide what we want to use music for. I know that many black metal fans react badly when we use the words "black metal" to describe our music, and we are sorry if we make people upset for that. But for us, black metal is a musical genre. Listen to Veil of Remembrance and tell me what kind of music it is."
avatar
CrimsonWarrior
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 117
Join date : 2015-07-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:48 pm

Black Metal is definitely a musical genre to me!

But I know also that a lot of 'troo fooking evil' types consider it something else. But to be honest, I think it's sad how full of 'hate' these people are. They all need a big hug!

Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by ThomasEversole on Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:25 am

Sorry if this has already been said, but I think coining a whole new term "unblack" for black metal that just happens to have Christian lyrics is the silliest thing I can imagine.

Like I'm a blues artist, but I want positive lyrics so... unblues? Or like some people have called Christian (black) metal "White Metal", I guess I could call my happy blues music "Oranges"?

I get it. Darkthrone made Unholy Black Metal, so Horde made Holy Unblack Metal. Its a nice idea. Couldn't have thought of a better album name myself.
...using that name as a banner to pave the way for the entire "Christian" scene - HUGE mistake.

Drawnsword, I disagree with the black metal genre being defined by anything other than its signature sound. What's defined as "trve" black metal is what the founders, who were little more than creative yet mentally unstable, completely close minded maniacs.

Like any genre of music, it will evolve (and has evolved) or it will die or stay in a little box that only the delusional consider elite.

The point is, black metal doesn't have to talk about trve and kvlt topics, death metal doesn't have to talk about death and carnage, rock doesn't have to talk about minerals.
avatar
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1595
Join date : 2013-03-19
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by wintersdawn on Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:07 am

CrimsonWarrior wrote:Drawnsword, what would you call black metal bands like Bal-Sagoth then? They're not Christian but they're also not negative.

Modifying a genre's name based on the lyrics just seems unnecessary to me.

I used to listen to Bal-Sagoth but read some interviews with Byron and they did have lyrics against Christianity, just in a fantasy world.  They wrote about a religious threat from East and according to Byron this was Christianity.

wintersdawn
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 102
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by CrimsonWarrior on Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:50 am

Interesting. I guess that band was a poor example to use.
avatar
CrimsonWarrior
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 117
Join date : 2015-07-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Throne of thorns on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:05 pm

d@v!d wrote:
Throne of thorns wrote:After listening to a few bands ...I cant take Christian black metal seriously........or "UnBLACK" I mean even that is a joke in itself......
I'm curious. Is that based on the quality of the music or the pretense of lyrical expression coupled with the music, or what about it troubles you?
No not the quality...it is Black metal after all and there is some good stuff musically. It does not trouble me as such it's more a something I can't quite understand more than anything. Black metal was designed as an enemy of all things religious or christian just add christian lyrics. Black metal has progressed since the 90's can't argue with that and it has ventured outside of the satanic crap into folk, pagan and other sub genres including Christian. Black metal was music made for pagans and outlaws of religion those that oppose it...it was made for  a specific reason and I guess metal was originally made for this exact reason if you think about it. I don't know adding Christian lyrics about praising Jesus in black metal style....I just can't take that seriously that's all but still musically there is some good stuff.
avatar
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 602
Join date : 2013-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Throne of thorns on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:11 pm

CrimsonWarrior wrote:Throne of Thorns, I can recommend some good bands if the quality is the issue.
Black metal and Quality two words that don't quite match lol. This is not so much the issue...but still would like to hear your recommendations..... I do like Crimson moonlight and Horde and I think maybe vials of wrath need to give them more of a listen cheers.
avatar
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 602
Join date : 2013-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Throne of thorns on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:20 pm

Drawnsword wrote:
CrimsonWarrior wrote:
Drawnsword wrote:True Black Metal denies being a genre.
What does "true black metal" call itself then?...
Pure Fooking Evil! Black Metal is a movement, an underground expression of black ideologies and an extreme rebellion of sound, spirit, and feeling that's not even understood by the general mainstream metal scene mostly.
Yes this is what I was trying to sum up earlier it's intent was against Christianity specifically.....Probably more to to the point it was also formed to gain back cultural identity that Christians took over in Northern Europe. It would be good if Christian metal musicians came up with their own form of Metal...this would speak more volumes than anything and people would give it more credit. This is how I look at it when it comes to Black metal specifically. Then there is Jaysons point of view he mentioned he created Horde not as a joke like most people think or to offend those bands but to be a light in an otherwise dark place. My reply to Jayson is you are talented you have played all forms of metal or most form something completely new that the world can copy and you can say ha they took that from Christianity and turned into a pagan style just added pagan lyrics to our Christian style would that not be cool. Seventh angel are one of Christians most unique bands.
avatar
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 602
Join date : 2013-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by ThomasEversole on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:56 pm

Throne of thorns wrote:
Black metal was designed as an enemy of all things religious or christian just add christian lyrics. Black metal has progressed since the 90's can't argue with that and it has ventured outside of the satanic crap into folk, pagan and other sub genres including Christian. Black metal was music made for pagans and outlaws of religion those that oppose it...it was made for  a specific reason and I guess metal was originally made for this exact reason if you think about it. I don't know adding Christian lyrics about praising Jesus in black metal style....I just can't take that seriously that's all but still musically there is some good stuff.

The history of something doesn't define it.  I certainly hope you don't think that genres of music can be owned.
If Christians come up with their own metal, does that mean Pagans should come up with their own classical music?

I'm sure painting had its origins in cavern walls.  If Rembrandt considered painting to be too crude and primitive, we'd never have his work.  Do you know how dark and morbid literally every single nursery rhyme is?  These were birthed from horrible events, but made into fun sayings for little children.  

I mean, you're welcome to avoid black metal for any reason you wish.  It just sucks to be you to have a mental block that stops you from fully enjoying something you really like.

You remind me of one of my friends who saw Jim Carrey in "The Cable Guy", hated it, and avoids every movie Jim Carrey has been in every since.  Avoids, not refuses to watch.  He actually ends up enjoying the newer movies, but left to him choosing, he still avoids that actor because of that movie.  My response to him about Jim Carrey is ironically the same to you about black metal:

"Really dude?  Come off it.  Do you know how many years ago that was?  Learn some forgiveness man!!!  HAHA!!  That stain was cleaned up long ago!"
avatar
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1595
Join date : 2013-03-19
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by CrimsonWarrior on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:32 am

Throne of thorns wrote:
CrimsonWarrior wrote:Throne of Thorns, I can recommend some good bands if the quality is the issue.
Black metal and Quality two words that don't quite match lol. This is not so much the issue...but still would like to hear your recommendations..... I do like Crimson moonlight and Horde and I think maybe vials of wrath need to give them more of a listen cheers.
Perhaps black metal and sound quality don't exactly match (most of the time), but saying that there's no such thing as good black metal is just silly...

I'll give you a few recommendations. You, like many others, say that CBM isn't original enough, so I'll show you some original bands.

Spoiler:
Here's Lengsel:


Drottnar:


Kekal (some black metal influences but also includes a bunch of other genres):

avatar
CrimsonWarrior
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 117
Join date : 2015-07-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by sentient 6 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:47 pm

Throne of thorns wrote:
 My reply to Jayson is you are talented you have played all forms of metal or most form something completely new that the world can copy and you can say ha they took that from Christianity and turned into a pagan style just added pagan lyrics to our Christian style would that not be cool. Seventh angel are one of Christians most unique bands.

If you didn't " know " the band was writing from a Christian world view, you would not even know the difference. You can't understand what the songs are about from listening to them. So to be fair, I think most critique should rest on the quality of music alone.
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5802
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Throne of thorns on Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:05 am

ThomasEversole wrote:
Throne of thorns wrote:
Black metal was designed as an enemy of all things religious or christian just add christian lyrics. Black metal has progressed since the 90's can't argue with that and it has ventured outside of the satanic crap into folk, pagan and other sub genres including Christian. Black metal was music made for pagans and outlaws of religion those that oppose it...it was made for  a specific reason and I guess metal was originally made for this exact reason if you think about it. I don't know adding Christian lyrics about praising Jesus in black metal style....I just can't take that seriously that's all but still musically there is some good stuff.

The history of something doesn't define it.  I certainly hope you don't think that genres of music can be owned.
If Christians come up with their own metal, does that mean Pagans should come up with their own classical music?

I'm sure painting had its origins in cavern walls.  If Rembrandt considered painting to be too crude and primitive, we'd never have his work.  Do you know how dark and morbid literally every single nursery rhyme is?  These were birthed from horrible events, but made into fun sayings for little children.  

I mean, you're welcome to avoid black metal for any reason you wish.  It just sucks to be you to have a mental block that stops you from fully enjoying something you really like.

You remind me of one of my friends who saw Jim Carrey in "The Cable Guy", hated it, and avoids every movie Jim Carrey has been in every since.  Avoids, not refuses to watch.  He actually ends up enjoying the newer movies, but left to him choosing, he still avoids that actor because of that movie.  My response to him about Jim Carrey is ironically the same to you about black metal:

"Really dude?  Come off it.  Do you know how many years ago that was?  Learn some forgiveness man!!!  HAHA!!  That stain was cleaned up long ago!"
oh no bro I enjoy black metal and metal full stop if it is good Christian or not I like it. My point was I cannot take christian "unblack" metal seriously...for the reasons I explained. I enjoyed Cable guy when I first saw it.
avatar
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 602
Join date : 2013-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Throne of thorns on Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:12 am

CrimsonWarrior wrote:
Throne of thorns wrote:
CrimsonWarrior wrote:Throne of Thorns, I can recommend some good bands if the quality is the issue.
Black metal and Quality two words that don't quite match lol. This is not so much the issue...but still would like to hear your recommendations..... I do like Crimson moonlight and Horde and I think maybe vials of wrath need to give them more of a listen cheers.
Perhaps black metal and sound quality don't exactly match (most of the time), but saying that there's no such thing as good black metal is just silly...

I'll give you a few recommendations. You, like many others, say that CBM isn't original enough, so I'll show you some original bands.

Spoiler:
Here's Lengsel:


Drottnar:


Kekal (some black metal influences but also includes a bunch of other genres):

oh again oh no bro I did not say there is no such thing as good black metal the thing with black metal is you either like it or you dont generally there is no middle ground for the most part. I like the general feel of it. Thanks for the list I will look em up cheers.
avatar
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 602
Join date : 2013-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Throne of thorns on Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:14 am

sentient 6 wrote:
Throne of thorns wrote:
 My reply to Jayson is you are talented you have played all forms of metal or most form something completely new that the world can copy and you can say ha they took that from Christianity and turned into a pagan style just added pagan lyrics to our Christian style would that not be cool. Seventh angel are one of Christians most unique bands.

If you didn't " know " the band was writing from a Christian world view, you would not even know the difference. You can't understand what the songs are about from listening to them. So to be fair, I think most critique should rest on the quality of music alone.
Point taken in. I gotta say I do love that Horde album very much!
avatar
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 602
Join date : 2013-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by CrimsonWarrior on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:17 am

Did the embedded videos inside the spoiler load for you? I had a hard time getting them to show up on my browser for some reason.
avatar
CrimsonWarrior
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 117
Join date : 2015-07-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by d@v!d on Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:46 am

Throne of thorns wrote:
d@v!d wrote:
Throne of thorns wrote:After listening to a few bands ...I cant take Christian black metal seriously........or "UnBLACK" I mean even that is a joke in itself......
I'm curious. Is that based on the quality of the music or the pretense of lyrical expression coupled with the music, or what about it troubles you?
No not the quality...it is Black metal after all and there is some good stuff musically. It does not trouble me as such it's more a something I can't quite understand more than anything. Black metal was designed as an enemy of all things religious or christian just add christian lyrics. Black metal has progressed since the 90's can't argue with that and it has ventured outside of the satanic crap into folk, pagan and other sub genres including Christian. Black metal was music made for pagans and outlaws of religion those that oppose it...it was made for  a specific reason and I guess metal was originally made for this exact reason if you think about it. I don't know adding Christian lyrics about praising Jesus in black metal style....I just can't take that seriously that's all but still musically there is some good stuff.
OK, I get it. I think many things are redeemable, but sometimes our experiences create biases that are difficult for us to overcome. It does seem kind of silly to play identical style to something that was created to express the darkest of rebellion, put uplifting words to it and label it 'unblack.' Yet, with time the meanings of such things morph and become less distinct and important. Another aspect that I like is the audacity of Christians to go into such a dark place, pay homage to it while rebelling against it by putting antithetical lyrics in their version. There's a certain art to that.
avatar
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3505
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Visiting

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by d@v!d on Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:50 am

ThomasEversole wrote:
Throne of thorns wrote:
Black metal was designed as an enemy of all things religious or christian just add christian lyrics. Black metal has progressed since the 90's can't argue with that and it has ventured outside of the satanic crap into folk, pagan and other sub genres including Christian. Black metal was music made for pagans and outlaws of religion those that oppose it...it was made for  a specific reason and I guess metal was originally made for this exact reason if you think about it. I don't know adding Christian lyrics about praising Jesus in black metal style....I just can't take that seriously that's all but still musically there is some good stuff.

The history of something doesn't define it.  I certainly hope you don't think that genres of music can be owned.
If Christians come up with their own metal, does that mean Pagans should come up with their own classical music?

I'm sure painting had its origins in cavern walls.  If Rembrandt considered painting to be too crude and primitive, we'd never have his work.  Do you know how dark and morbid literally every single nursery rhyme is?  These were birthed from horrible events, but made into fun sayings for little children.  

I mean, you're welcome to avoid black metal for any reason you wish.  It just sucks to be you to have a mental block that stops you from fully enjoying something you really like.

You remind me of one of my friends who saw Jim Carrey in "The Cable Guy", hated it, and avoids every movie Jim Carrey has been in every since.  Avoids, not refuses to watch.  He actually ends up enjoying the newer movies, but left to him choosing, he still avoids that actor because of that movie.  My response to him about Jim Carrey is ironically the same to you about black metal:

"Really dude?  Come off it.  Do you know how many years ago that was?  Learn some forgiveness man!!!  HAHA!!  That stain was cleaned up long ago!"
You had to mention those two int he same post.

I know, grind not equal to black, but close enough to be funny.
avatar
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3505
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Visiting

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Throne of thorns on Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:01 am

d@v!d wrote:
Throne of thorns wrote:
d@v!d wrote:
Throne of thorns wrote:After listening to a few bands ...I cant take Christian black metal seriously........or "UnBLACK" I mean even that is a joke in itself......
I'm curious. Is that based on the quality of the music or the pretense of lyrical expression coupled with the music, or what about it troubles you?
No not the quality...it is Black metal after all and there is some good stuff musically. It does not trouble me as such it's more a something I can't quite understand more than anything. Black metal was designed as an enemy of all things religious or christian just add christian lyrics. Black metal has progressed since the 90's can't argue with that and it has ventured outside of the satanic crap into folk, pagan and other sub genres including Christian. Black metal was music made for pagans and outlaws of religion those that oppose it...it was made for  a specific reason and I guess metal was originally made for this exact reason if you think about it. I don't know adding Christian lyrics about praising Jesus in black metal style....I just can't take that seriously that's all but still musically there is some good stuff.
OK, I get it. I think many things are redeemable, but sometimes our experiences create biases that are difficult for us to overcome. It does seem kind of silly to play identical style to something that was created to express the darkest of rebellion, put uplifting words to it and label it 'unblack.' Yet, with time the meanings of such things morph and become less distinct and important. Another aspect that I like is the audacity of Christians to go into such a dark place, pay homage to it while rebelling against it by putting antithetical lyrics in their version. There's a certain art to that.
LOL you get it Yay someone gets it. Man that made me laugh bro. Yeah a certain art alright lol cheers.
avatar
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 602
Join date : 2013-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Throne of thorns on Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:10 am

CrimsonWarrior wrote:Did the embedded videos inside the spoiler load for you? I had a hard time getting them to show up on my browser for some reason.
Yup they work for me and thanks for taking the time and sharing them. I will give a spin I think the second band on the list I have heard before and it is not my cup o t. kekal is interesting I am sure they have been around a while I am sure I have heard of them years ago prehaps even in the late 90's unless i am imagining it?
avatar
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 602
Join date : 2013-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by CrimsonWarrior on Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:16 am

Yeah, Kekal's been around since the 90's. They began with black metal and became more and more experimental until their music eventually became whatever you want to call it today.

https://kekal.bandcamp.com/

The albums are out of order on their Bandcamp, but here's the order they were released in case you are interested:
Spoiler:

1. Beyond the Glimpse of Dreams
2. Embrace the Dead
3. The Painful Experience
4. 1000 Thoughts of Violence
5. Acidity
6. The Habit of Fire
7. Audible Minority
8. 8
9. Autonomy
10. Multilateral
avatar
CrimsonWarrior
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 117
Join date : 2015-07-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:19 am

the term "Christian" black metal is an oxymoron. it's like oil and water. it's like saying "a square circle." it's absurd. It's like EVERYTHING has to have a "christian" version lately in our culture, there is even a "christian" tattoo shop where I live now. ridiculous

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by CrimsonWarrior on Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:43 pm

Why do you think it is an oxymoron?
avatar
CrimsonWarrior
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 117
Join date : 2015-07-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Throne of thorns on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:46 am

CrimsonWarrior wrote:Yeah, Kekal's been around since the 90's. They began with black metal and became more and more experimental until their music eventually became whatever you want to call it today.

https://kekal.bandcamp.com/

The albums are out of order on their Bandcamp, but here's the order they were released in case you are interested:
[spoiler]
1. Beyond the Glimpse of Dreams
2. Embrace the Dead
3. The Painful Experience
4. 1000 Thoughts of Violence
5. Acidity
6. The Habit of Fire
7. Audible Minority
8. 8
9. Autonomy
10. Multilateral
[/spoil
Ha for a minute there I thought I was living in another dimension I should have just googled it. Yeah I did not realise they were still around cheers for that.
avatar
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 602
Join date : 2013-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Throne of thorns on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:51 am

CrimsonWarrior wrote:Yeah, Kekal's been around since the 90's. They began with black metal and became more and more experimental until their music eventually became whatever you want to call it today.

https://kekal.bandcamp.com/

The albums are out of order on their Bandcamp, but here's the order they were released in case you are interested:
Spoiler:

1. Beyond the Glimpse of Dreams
2. Embrace the Dead
3. The Painful Experience
4. 1000 Thoughts of Violence
5. Acidity
6. The Habit of Fire
7. Audible Minority
8. 8
9. Autonomy
10. Multilateral
Ahh good so I was not having artificial recollections of a life once lived .....hmm that sounds strangely familiar as well....cheers
avatar
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 602
Join date : 2013-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Black Metal doc

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum