The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christian metal band comics

+7
mothy
Airola
Dustofyears
TZ75
Kerrick
MagnusPrime
Drawnsword
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Christian metal band comics Empty Christian metal band comics

Post by Drawnsword Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:05 pm

Do you Know of any comics put out by Christian metal bands in the past or present, that relate to the bands or an album of there's in some way, or even a concept art book that goes along with an album?

I heard something about a Deliverance comic in the 1990's? may have been connected with the Learn album?

And recently Demon Hunter's Exile album has a comic along with it, written by Ryan Clarke, which sounds very cool.

Also i think Slechtvalk had a bonus art / lyric book with one of there crowd funded albums i believe?

I know Troy Dunmire did double page centerfold scene of Mortification playing in the cave of Scrolls of the Megiloth that was originally featured in His Creature zine/comic and in recent times became the cover of one of there live albums though coloured.

I quite like the idea of a concept/theme album art book that goes along with an album. A nice book with that or a comic would probably be only possible with a crowd fund but a cheap photocopy zine in B+W would be just as cool imo.

Let us know what you thought of them if you have any or even just like the idea of it?
Drawnsword
Drawnsword
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://drawnswordgraphix.blogspot.co.nz/

Dustofyears and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Christian metal band comics Empty Re: Christian metal band comics

Post by MagnusPrime Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:33 pm

Tourniquet had one years ago that was available through their site.

Maybe Luke or Aaron can shed more light on that.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Drawnsword likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:50 pm

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Drawnsword Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:04 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:Tourniquet had one years ago that was available through their site.

Did they? I remember Luke Easter involved in a crowd funding comic (i think he was the writer) though not sure it was related to Tourniquet or his own music.
Drawnsword
Drawnsword
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:16 pm

Drawnsword wrote:
MagnusPrime wrote:Tourniquet had one years ago that was available through their site.

Did they? I remember Luke Easter involved in a crowd funding comic (i think he was the writer) though not sure it was related to Tourniquet or his own music.

The one I'm referring to is pretty old. Maybe late 90s / early 00s.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Drawnsword Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:23 pm

ah yeah, Black Leather's 12 page Comic Book – “Demonkiller: Paradoxical Dimension Vol. I” that went along with The New Liberty album. I dig Zvi's underground art style.

I have a full colour comic put out by Chaos Comics from 97 titled "Cryptic Writings of Megadeth". Its based on the songs and lyrics of Dave Mustaine's, Skull beneath the Skin, Rattlehead, and Looking down the cross.
The artwork on Skull Beneath the skIN and Rattlehead is fantastic! SBTS written by Brian Pulido (Lady Death, president publisher of Chaos comics) i guess comics of this high standard hasn't happened before among Christian bands. (meaning standard floppy comic book size, glossy paper, full colour, 22 pages etc.) Though i prefer handcrafted B+W underground style comics.

Last edited by Drawnsword on Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:32 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistakes)
Drawnsword
Drawnsword
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Drawnsword Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:25 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:
Drawnsword wrote:

The one I'm referring to is pretty old. Maybe late 90s / early 00s.
ok awesome, would be nice to learn more about that. And the Deliverance comic.
Drawnsword
Drawnsword
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:32 pm

I’m surprised Steve Rowe didn’t do some. He’s obviously into cartoons (hence several of his album covers).
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Drawnsword Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:38 pm

TZ75 wrote:I’m surprised Steve Rowe didn’t do some. He’s obviously into cartoons (hence several of his album covers).
for sure! I remember after Scrolls came out i was thinking of a comic idea involving the 3 scrolls Mortification members as armoured up warriors fighting evil. haha Steve Rowe might have gone for it as he loves corny stuff! His Minstrel short novel was quite good he probably could have wrote something for a comic.
Drawnsword
Drawnsword
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:26 pm

Drawnsword wrote:
TZ75 wrote:I’m surprised Steve Rowe didn’t do some. He’s obviously into cartoons (hence several of his album covers).
for sure! I remember after Scrolls came out i was thinking of a comic idea involving the 3 scrolls Mortification members as armoured up warriors fighting evil. haha Steve Rowe might have gone for it as he loves corny stuff! His Minstrel short novel was quite good he probably could have wrote something for a comic.

I used to have that book, but I lost in while moving.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:13 pm

I had that Minstrel book too. Had forgotten about the scrolls pic but I seem to have memory of something like that done by Troy. Comics, and in fact any great art, goes hand in hand with metal and music on the whole I reckons. Sorry I cant be more helpful as to your question.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:52 pm

Drawnsword wrote:

Luke was involved in this:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/silvercord/the-silver-cord-a-techno-epic-graphic-novel/description
I recall he didn't write the comic but drew the text in the comic.

The Tourniquet comic was an older thing. It had Tourniquet and Disciple at a live show. I have the comic somewhere.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Drawnsword and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:20 am

Not a comic but Andrew Tompkins wrote a short novel for the album Within The Ancient Forest
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:40 am

Short personal story if you'll allow it.

My wife and I took in an 11 year old foster (now our 21 year old son). He did a comic he called Super Dude. He was always funny and creative. Anyway, not long after he came to our home he showed me one called "Super Dude and the Death Rock Band." If it speaks to his level of understanding of the scene this was clearly inspired by my music of choice but he literally didn't have a handle on the term "death metal" -- it just wasn't something that he had been around at all, but did a fun little comic with Super Dude playing "death rock." Cute, fun, I dug it. BUT here's what killed me, is he gave the band a name. . . and probably withouth ever hearing a death metal band name -- and they would have been Crimson Moonlight and Sympathy and Indwelling if he had -- he named the band Suffocation. Ha ha ha! Hilarious and awesome, especially as completely accidental. 

That's the whole story, probably 1% as good written as it was live, but it was amazing.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Drawnsword, Staybrite, Kerrick, CrimsonWarrior and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:39 am

I don't know a ton. I cant even tell you how we wound up in that book. It was cool that Disciple was in it as well; they've been good friends for along time, especially Kevin, so it's cool that we both have something super cringe in our pasts that we share...  Shocked

All I remember is Ted telling us we were going to be in a comic book, which sounded cool because I love comic books. Then the comic actually arrived, and it was wasn't that cool. We were not behind the book, we just agreed to let the writer/artist use our names and such.

Drawnsword wrote:Did they? I remember Luke Easter involved in a crowd funding comic (i think he was the writer) though not sure it was related to Tourniquet or his own music.

I was part of a team that did a graphic novel. The project started (tentatively) back in 2002, but was in full swing around 2005 or 2006. We had folks from ILM and Pixar involved, and it was largely the brainchild of Kevin Kelly. Google him. We had a deal with Simon and Schuster for multiple volumes, and then it all fell apart. We were all still excited about the project, but we wound up parting ways with S&S, and for a number of reasons nothing more was done on the book for a long time. After exhausting a few different potential options that never came to fruition we decided to crowdfund enough to at least finish volumes One and Two and compile them into one beautiful enormous tome.

Airola wrote:Luke was involved in this:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/silvercord/the-silver-cord-a-techno-epic-graphic-novel/description
I recall he didn't write the comic but drew the text in the comic.

The Tourniquet comic was an older thing. It had Tourniquet and Disciple at a live show. I have the comic somewhere.

We sucessfully funded. Overfunded by a bit, actually, and got a lot of love from sites like BoingBoing and big name academics at places like Stanford who were really into the collision of tech and the spiritual that the book covered. I was part of the story development, but in terms of the final book itself, I lettered it.

The book is gorgeous. We're all very proud of it, and we're glad we got to complete it and put it out into the world. It even got a Chinese language edition! We had high hopes for it, but even if nothing more comes of it, it is a big accomplishment and was a killer experience. I'm still kind of shocked that I made the cut and got to be part of such an impressive team.

If you're interested, you can get it here: The Silver Cord
Luke Easter
Luke Easter
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Drawnsword, Pethead, TZ75, BaleMaster, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:11 pm

Got my Deluxe version of Exile yesterday and issue 1 of 4 for the comic book (part 2 is only now nearing completion so we'll have to wait some time for all 4). It looks fantastic! It's as professional as it gets. I'm interested in the story line and how it fleshes out the story from the album.

It's a curious experience to dive into because the album and comic are meant to complement each other and create a fully immersive world (there are dramatized interludes on the album with voice acting and scenes described in the deluxe booklet) yet, at the same time they are meant to fully stand on their own. Ryan Clark wanted the comic to be something anyone could pick up, not knowing the band at all nor needing to, and still fully enjoy. I find the story and message behind it compelling at every level. I hope the band finds it rewarding. They did this all on their own as an independent band, everything being done in house under their own new label (Weapons MFG). It's a LOT to invest in.

On another note, is the Silver Cord kid appropriate? It looks amazing and my boys like graphic novels but they're still young (10 & 7). Maybe wait a few years?
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Drawnsword and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:39 pm

Frozen Fire wrote:...is the Silver Cord kid appropriate? It looks amazing and my boys like graphic novels but they're still young (10 & 7). Maybe wait a few years?

I'd wait a little bit. There's nothing racy or anything like that, but there is a fairly realistic birth scene a few pages in. It's only a couple of panels, but I can see that potentially messing with a kid's head. Really depends on the kids.
Luke Easter
Luke Easter
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Frozen Fire and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:28 pm

Luke Easter wrote:
Frozen Fire wrote:...is the Silver Cord kid appropriate? It looks amazing and my boys like graphic novels but they're still young (10 & 7). Maybe wait a few years?

I'd wait a little bit. There's nothing racy or anything like that, but there is a fairly realistic birth scene a few pages in. It's only a couple of panels, but I can see that potentially messing with a kid's head. Really depends on the kids.
Thanks Luke. I tried to look up some panels online and it looked amazing but a little too old for my boys. 

I even wondered that with the Demon Hunter comic. Haven't showed it to them yet. There is actually some language in it.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Drawnsword Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:53 pm

Are there any sample pages of the Demon Hunter Exile comic online, or how would you describe the art style of this comic?

Metal Bands that have mascots, suit having them featured in a comic, ie Rattlehead, Eddie, etc
Was trying to think of bands in the Christian metal scene that have a mascot character?
Drawnsword
Drawnsword
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:18 am

Though not metal: One Bad pig... bout all I can think of... Petra with the guitar thing (kinda cool gimmicky mascot) But can't think of anything like Eddie or Rattlehead or Snaggletooth, etc...

good question...
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:51 pm

If there was a Christian equivalent to the band Kiss, maybe they could’ve done some kind of comic book series. 

I think Stryper could have done some when they were at their peak of popularity in the 80’s. They were probably the closest to secular rock stardom that a Christian band got (as far as classic heavy metal goes). Of coarse there have been other popular Christian bands like P.O.D. and Demon Hunter etc… but they are not from the old school “rock star” era.

Plus Stryper’s “To Hell with the Devil” anthem would’ve made an excellent storyline.

Last edited by TZ75 on Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Drawnsword and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:31 pm

Drawnsword wrote:Are there any sample pages of the Demon Hunter Exile comic online, or how would you describe the art style of this comic?
Christian metal band comics Exile_comic02
Christian metal band comics P5_panel1
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Drawnsword, bigtreads, BaleMaster, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:08 am

^Brave New World.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Drawnsword, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Drawnsword Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:14 pm

Thanks for posting Frozen Fire!
Drawnsword
Drawnsword
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Frozen Fire likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Drawnsword Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:31 pm

Dustofyears wrote:Though not metal: One Bad pig... bout all I can think of... Petra with the guitar thing (kinda cool gimmicky mascot) But can't think of anything like Eddie or Rattlehead or Snaggletooth, etc...

good question...
Yeah they work! Got me thinking, imagine these classic christian metal mascot comics...
 Ragoul the half skeleton man from Vengeance Rising's Destruction Comes.
Sacred Warriors Master's Command cover art angel.
Saints Hell Blade warriors from Desperate night cover art.
Mortification's Skeletor Steve from Realms of the Skeletor. done in a total goof ball impaling evil style.
Deliverance, a slay the wicked, WOOW cover angel with the Deliverance logo cross as its shield.
Brides, Silence is Madness, ball n chain jail skeleton man and 2 rats.
Seventh Angel's lamenting warrior.
Screams of Chaos genetic war cover solider.

Last edited by Drawnsword on Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drawnsword
Drawnsword
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down