The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Artists with the "Midas Touch" in Diverse Styles

+11
mothy
TZ75
bodachi
Samson
scottmitchell74
Pethead
Temple of Blood
MagnusPrime
Follower of Jesus
Kerrick
15 posters

Go down

Artists with the "Midas Touch" in Diverse Styles Empty Artists with the "Midas Touch" in Diverse Styles

Post by Kerrick Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:12 pm

There are a handful of especially talented artists who have that "Midas touch" where everything they touch is golden.  Who do you consider within the Christian metal (and beyond) scene to possess such talent - specifically those who don't remain in just one genre.  For example, Rob Rock is an amazing vocalist who has that Midas touch, though he primarily keeps to similar-styled music.  For this thread, I'd like to keep it to musicians who can play/create excellent music of broad spectrums of genres, such as perhaps the guys from Extol.

The first one to come to mind is the Czech musician Bard.  I discovered him through his epic doom metal project Trinity (whose debut album was released this year), only to find out that he's got projects which range from old-school black metal to acoustic folk to traditional heavy metal to children's music (!!!).  Check these out and I look forward to hearing what y'all got to recommend!

Trinity (epic doom)

Amnis (acoustic folk)

Christ Of The Black (black metal)

I couldn't find youtube links for Postilion (heavy metal/rock) and Rodina je základ státu (children's music) but you can find them here free to download.  Just navigate on the left-hand side for his various projects:
http://www.ibard.wz.cz/ibardfr.html

So what say you?  Who else has that musical Midas touch that transcends musical genres?

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Artists with the "Midas Touch" in Diverse Styles Empty Re: Artists with the "Midas Touch" in Diverse Styles

Post by Follower of Jesus Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:10 pm

Ken Tamplin comes to mind. He sings rock, yes, but he’s done other stuff too, and it sounds great. His Christmas album is terrific!
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Artists with the "Midas Touch" in Diverse Styles Empty Re: Artists with the "Midas Touch" in Diverse Styles

Post by MagnusPrime Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:05 pm

Bob Hartman

can't really think of anymore in the Christian scene. 

As far as secular goes, David Bowie comes to mind.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:22 am

I can't think of any, in the secular world either
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 1620 Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:26 am

Ole Borud comes to my mind. Extol, Fleshkiller, Schaliach for metal and his non-metal side projects are amazing as well. Fantastic Christmas music with solo projects. 

Christian Liljegren of Narnia and millions of side projects, too.

mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Frozen Fire, mothy, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:31 am

Jimmy P Brown II?

Last edited by Pethead on Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:34 am

Weird Al Yankovic Very Happy
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:34 am

You named Rob Rock and that was my thought immediately.

Is there a common thread with VR, Die Happy, Once Dead, Ultimatum?

That person.
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Samson Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:38 pm

Can't think of any Christian based bands. But my secular pick goes to Mr. Bungle
Samson
Samson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by bodachi Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:17 pm

Mike Stand:
Altar Boys - punk
Solo albums - alternative
Clash of Symbols - rock
Altar Billies - rockabilly
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:19 pm

I like pretty much everything Greg Minier has done.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:37 pm

Glenn Rowlands of Wickeds End.

He has done thrash, death metal, blues, accoustic blues.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:39 pm

And I second Ole. I can't find the videos anymore but he was on a talent show in Norway and did, Pop, Gospel, and Metal and wowed the crowd with them all.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:48 pm

mothy wrote:And I second Ole. I can't find the videos anymore but he was on a talent show in Norway and did, Pop, Gospel, and Metal and wowed the crowd with them all.

A third for Ole. I have most of his solo work and it's surprising how much I enjoy it, despite the radical shift in style. He's successful across the world with it though we think of it as a side project. It's his thing and he's well known for it in those circles. Anything he'll ever do with metal is a side project.

Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

1620, mothy, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:22 pm

^^° Thanks for posting. When I saw those my jaw dropped and didn't realize his talent.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:16 pm

mothy wrote:^^° Thanks for posting. When I saw those my jaw dropped and didn't realize his talent.
Likewise. It's pretty hard to find two genres that distinct! And then to be so talented and practiced at both! My jaw dropped as well.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

mothy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:21 pm

I just watched this as well. Wow!!
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

mothy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:27 pm

I'll add Phil Keaggy. He's done great with Beatle's era music, jam rock, prog rock (Neal Morse credits), gospel, finger-picked looping, atmospheric instrumentalism, blues, and a bit of metal
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

mothy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:03 am

curious what of PK's catalog would you classify as metal?
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:23 pm

crucifyd wrote:curious what of PK's catalog would you classify as metal?

Nothing in his catalogue. But some of his session work was with heavier music. For the most part, I categorize music into easy-listening, rock, metal, and thrash.

I was referencing the following:
He plays with Jason Truby on Eternal by POD. So it's a heavier band but to-be-fair it's a very quiet track. He also plays an electric solo on Revolution.
He plays acoustic and electric guitar solos on some of Neal Morse's work--The Creation (8:25).
He was supposed to play on Onward to Freedom, but I don't think it actually happened (can someone correct or clarify this?).

Now that I look at it closer, it's stretching definitions too far to say that he's forayed into metal in any meaningful way.  face palm face palm  I retract!!
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:50 pm

haha, that's OK, he's still a beast of an axe man...
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadpool Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:46 pm

Frozen Fire wrote:
mothy wrote:And I second Ole. I can't find the videos anymore but he was on a talent show in Norway and did, Pop, Gospel, and Metal and wowed the crowd with them all.

A third for Ole. I have most of his solo work and it's surprising how much I enjoy it, despite the radical shift in style. He's successful across the world with it though we think of it as a side project. It's his thing and he's well known for it in those circles. Anything he'll ever do with metal is a side project.

Wait, What??

WHAT?!!?!

Excuse me for a minute, I need to over there and pick my brains up off the floor.

Holy smokes, I just now had to go look through my Extol albums to make sure the spelling was the same and it was the same guy. 

affraid

Deadpool
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

mothy and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down