The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Early Metal Bands that copied Secular Band Names & Styles

+8
Black Rider
Dr3ams
crucifyd
Kerrick
Raegoul
WildWorld
Pethead
Sevenoneself
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Early Metal Bands that copied Secular Band Names & Styles Empty Early Metal Bands that copied Secular Band Names & Styles

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:19 pm

I'm wondering if there are any threads on this, or if there are any sources that confirm early Christian metal bands mimicked Secular Band Names and/or styles. I'm not saying it was a bad thing, as these bands really wanted to give fans a Christian version of the secular music they loved. 

Please 1) correct me if I'm really off on some of these designations, 2) add the (many) ones I've missed, and 3) provide sources if you know them.  I'm just exploring these possibilities:

Iron Maiden > Sacred Warrior, Holy Soldier (?)
Van Halen > Haven
Slayer > Saint
Marilyn Manson > Rackets & Drapes
Whitesnake > Whitecross
Exodus > Leviticus
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Early Metal Bands that copied Secular Band Names & Styles Empty Re: Early Metal Bands that copied Secular Band Names & Styles

Post by Pethead Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:55 pm

The only one of these that occurred to me was Whitecross, especially when the Triumphant Return cover is so similar to Whitesnake’s s/t.

I always thought the name Saint was a riff on Priest (I.e. Judas Priest).
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Friday13th, mothy and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Early Metal Bands that copied Secular Band Names & Styles Empty Re: Early Metal Bands that copied Secular Band Names & Styles

Post by WildWorld Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:43 pm

Did Atheist predate Believer?

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:45 pm

WildWorld wrote:Did Atheist predate Believer?
According to metal-archives, Believer under that name predated Atheist under that name by one year. Atheist was first known as Oblivion, and Believer was known as Deceiver.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Friday13th and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:45 pm

WhiteHeart was a conscious response to Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:57 pm

Angelica - Metallica was pretty blatant, not the music but the name and logo.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:08 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:Exodus > Leviticus

Genesis predated both!   lol!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Staybrite, deathisgain, oldschooldoom, Friday13th, Pethead, mothy and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:15 pm

Guns n Roses-Gethsemene Rose

and not band names, but the obscure band Malachia titled their debut album Under the Blade while Bride's debut was titled Show No Mercy. Sure, the terms are kind of generic (and Bride had a song on said album called Show No Mercy), but given the time they were released (1986), it could be seen as using well known album titles by metal bands (Twisted Sister and Slayer respectively).

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

alldatndensum and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:20 pm

Pethead wrote:
According to metal-archives, Believer under that name predated Atheist under that name by one year. Atheist was first known as Oblivion, and Believer was known as Deceiver.

and Believer got the name from the Ozzy tune...
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:20 pm

crucifyd wrote:
Pethead wrote:

and Believer got the name from the Ozzy tune...

Unfortunately true.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:21 pm

Raegoul wrote:Angelica - Metallica was pretty blatant, not the music but the name and logo.

I’m still not convinced of this just because the two bands sound nothing like each other.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr3ams Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:27 pm

Stryken - Twisted Sister, Motley Crue
New Jerusalem - Led Zeppelin
Trytan (first album) - Rush
X-Sinner (first album) - Cinderella, AC/DC
Jacob's Dream (first album) - Queensryche
Dr3ams
Dr3ams
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:28 pm

Pethead wrote:
Raegoul wrote:Angelica - Metallica was pretty blatant, not the music but the name and logo.

I’m still not convinced of this just because the two bands sound nothing like each other.

And I dont see the resemblance between the two logos:

Early Metal Bands that copied Secular Band Names & Styles QjOIPiSRHMxSObTaK937pDyxOtII4nRnX4MuOg4d5+7gH6mMDbUTb55FiRZ3mBEEReCYVz0AD2lHipocRgpdKTkZtYtBdAFarl1RUs4l0pGru2D2BL91gBVyRfYnWbIddAxwauQAAAA== 

Early Metal Bands that copied Secular Band Names & Styles Angelica-album-cover-1989

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:29 pm

Yeah, a ton of metal bands have similar logos.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:16 pm

Guys, this is kind of corny. Secular bands copied each other's font and names all the time, it's not like christian bands invented this.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Staybrite, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:30 pm

I wondered about this but wasn't sure.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:42 pm

Black Rider wrote:Guys, this is kind of corny. Secular bands copied each other's font and names all the time, it's not like christian bands invented this.

I didn't start the thread to make any bands look bad for copying others, or to site influences or commonality. Two thoughts:

1) Sometimes bands are specifically trying to channel another band. I've written plenty of songs through the years trying to emulate the sound, lyrics, feel of a band that I really like. Back when I was in high school, Rackets & Drapes were very clearly attempting to copy the top shock rock artists. 

2) I'm fairly certain that many of the earliest Christian metal bands were trying to emulate or copy the sound of specific secular bands. It was common for Christian music stores to have comparison charts on the wall to help people find the band that sounded most like a secular band. The metal genre wasn't old enough to have diversified, and I think some of the early bands were actually trying to make a Christian version of a secular band/album to offer Christians a God-honoring alternative.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:47 pm

I think you’re both right. Some Christian bands were trying to copy other artists (Living Sacrifice’s debut is an obvious riff—pun intended—on Slayer). But secular bands have done the same thing for different reasons. We’ve got AC/DC clones all over the place and I remember a few years ago when Greta Van Fleet came out and were a Zep clone.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:02 pm

No worries. I just hear this so much and I always think how it's not just Christian bands. Shoot, GnR took Aerosmith's sound and beefed it up but people think it's original.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Friday13th, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:17 pm

And the word of the day is ------- copied not copy!!!!!!
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:50 pm

Black Rider wrote:No worries. I just hear this so much and I always think how it's not just Christian bands. Shoot, GnR took Aerosmith's sound and beefed it up but people think it's original.
There is an Aerosmith AND Rolling Stones influence no doubt, especially on the lies album with the brass and sound in general. However, GnR had an original sound with Axl's vocals and Slash's guitar tone and style and overall sound, and his and Izzy's, memorable, 'GNR" flavored riffs. Those bands, I'd ague, were influences, but GNR really did have a sound of their own that is instantly recognizable- Snakes in the play ground anybody?
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:04 pm

^That’s true. Mick Jagger and Steven Tyler didn’t quite have the “cat with its tail caught in a blender” vocals that Axl brought to the table. Razz
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider, Friday13th, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:37 pm

Pethead wrote:^That’s true. Mick Jagger and Steven Tyler didn’t quite have the “cat with its tail caught in a blender” vocals that Axl brought to the table. Razz
Ha ha, yep, so true. Odd vocal no, bit like Billy Corgan- you either love it or hate it. Don't mind Axl in small doses. Pretty over Sweet Child "O" mine though!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:44 am

Saint is nothing like Slayer (name or music).

They’re an alternative to Judas Priest.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:10 pm

Pethead wrote:WhiteHeart was a conscious response to Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

But they sound nothing alike.

As to the earlier mention of Whitecross sounding like Whitesnake, that is way off.  Whitecross sounded much more like Ratt in both guitar sound and style and Scott's voice sounding a lot like Stephen's.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Black Rider, oldschooldoom and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next