The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post-Post Momentary Mortification albums that are worth checking out

+14
mothy
Raegoul
Sevenoneself
eatbugs
Drawnsword
Dustofyears
TZ75
Ammocas
scottmitchell74
Frozen Fire
Pethead
Black Rider
Constantine
CrimsonWarrior
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Post-Post Momentary Mortification albums that are worth checking out - Page 3 Empty Re: Post-Post Momentary Mortification albums that are worth checking out

Post by Pethead Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:49 pm

Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post-Post Momentary Mortification albums that are worth checking out - Page 3 Empty Re: Post-Post Momentary Mortification albums that are worth checking out

Post by Dustofyears Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:14 pm

cailen wrote:Post „Post Momentary Affliction“ SONG worth checking out, to remind you that early Mortification was a trio, where Mike Carlisles contribution should not be underestimated.

His riffs where furious and dark and part of the early Mortification sound.

Here is his song „dark allusions“ from Blood World, which reminds me of the early albums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s8_LWb5i98
I forgot just how great this album sounds. Everything is killer on this track. Top Tier Metal in my opinion. And Steve's Bass, just always loved his tone and hooks he comes up with. And some said it about Mike's guitar playing, he was very unique, had a tone all of his own and had that dark deathy cobb webby stuff down pat better than most. This track is like half scrolls half Post, right down the middle! Gotta give this album a listen again.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, scottmitchell74 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:19 pm

Pethead wrote:This is a top tier Morty song:

And what an intro! That bass and those harmonized guitars after the doomy bell toll. Massive. It's like I'm listening to it for the first time agian. Thaks for putting these tracks up.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:32 pm

To me, BW and PRM are the only two where Steve's "metal hybrid" direction actually worked well. After these albums, the music became too simplified - especially in the drumming department. There are some really great moments here & there in their catalog (Hammer Of God is a really good one), but nothing as good (or as consistent) as the first 5 studio albums.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:36 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:To me, BW and PRM are the only two where Steve's "metal hybrid" direction actually worked well. After these albums, the music became too simplified - especially in the drumming department. There are some really great moments here & there in their catalog, but nothing as good (or as consistent) as the first 5 studio albums.
Totally agree. Nothing matches those first five. That's kind of true for most bands. They have like three, four, or so albums and the rest are never match fit.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Drawnsword Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:46 am

Thought this would be interesting in giving some context to why Mortification took more of a new direction after PMA...

From Heavens Metal Magazine #48 (1994) The bloody world of mortification..."our new album, Blood World is a real hybrid of styles mixed together, says Steve, it has elements of European thrash styles, hardcore, death metal and classic metal. The main difference people will notice is the vocals. I wanted to inject heaps of emotion and passion into the songs and the message the songs are presenting. It's hard to express such emotion and passion through growling vocals, because they are so monotone"...

..."as was evident two years ago, the popularity of death metal has taken a big dive with extreme music buyers tending to go after the new wave of black metal or modern hardcore such as Pantera, Sepultra, Prong etc. We have kept our death metal base in parts and, of course all the blast beats are still there, but the music has moved with the times and this sound will ensure our survival, plus our gaining of new listeners."...

From Heavens Metal Magazine #54 (1995) ...Steve Rowe " I am endeavoring to play traditional metal in a modern setting. in other words, take the music of the 80's ie Maiden, Slayer and combine it with the music of the 90's ie Sepultra, Pantera, Prong. Total death metal and grind was a big trend in 92 when we did Scrolls..,but thats all changed with the wave of black metal being so huge. Now black metal in Europe is the big trend, as is groove metal in the U.S. I hate trends and i hate bands that totally copy one big band. There are so many Pantera rip-off bands at the moment it is sickening. I am committed to playing untrendy music."...

Primitive Rhythm Machine..."We did an album in 20 days at Frontline's Studio in L.A. ...(with two Canadians on drums and guitar who contributed 3 rhythm tracks.)"George played all the rest of the rhythms and all the leads, except for two, which the other guitarist from Geoges new band performed." ..."i wanted to get away from processed drum and guitar sounds and work with real acoustics. In the past we have always used triggered drum sounds and even, at times, played guitars straight into the disc. The parts were always played by a person, but technology took a lot of the real sounds and made it all sound too processed. Primitive is all real miked up drums and guitar amps played on 10. This is the way it should be, just ask Spinal Tap."
Drawnsword
Drawnsword
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://drawnswordgraphix.blogspot.co.nz/

Black Rider, Temple of Blood, Pethead, TZ75, Dustofyears, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:47 am

I could never consider Steve’s shouts bad in a world where Sean Killian and Katon de Pena exist.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:18 pm

Pethead wrote:I could never consider Steve’s shouts bad in a world where Sean Killian and Katon de Pena exist.

Sean Killian was definitely another on my short list.

I got The Silver Cord is Severed and Triumph of Mercy in the mail today. Again, my mind has changed on Steve's more shouted vocals. I'm definitely thankful for that. Looking forward to diving into these. I really like Lincoln Bowen's playing, writing and sound.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:26 pm

Frozen Fire wrote:
Pethead wrote:I could never consider Steve’s shouts bad in a world where Sean Killian and Katon de Pena exist.

Sean Killian was definitely another on my short list.

I got The Silver Cord is Severed and Triumph of Mercy in the mail today. Again, my mind has changed on Steve's more shouted vocals. I'm definitely thankful for that. Looking forward to diving into these. I really like Lincoln Bowen's playing, writing and sound.
Lincoln is great. He’d probably be my favorite Morty guitarist if Mick Carlisle’s stuff with the band wasn’t so iconic.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

eatbugs, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:58 pm

Drawnsword wrote:There are so many Pantera rip-off bands at the moment it is sickening. I am committed to playing untrendy music."...

Proceeds to replicate Sepultura Chaos Ad album, lol.

Thanks for this Drawn. I forgot all this stuff, even though I owned pretty much all the 90's Heaven's Metal Mag's before they soled their souls and became crap.

Blood World is fantastic album, been reacquainting myself with it. The bass is incredible and harmonized guitars and the drumming from Phil is great. Glad they made this album. If we think about it, Mort had more great albums than most bands end up having in their catalogue. Usually it's about two or three, four max, for a metal band.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Drawnsword, Pethead, MagnusPrime, scottmitchell74 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by yaark Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:14 pm

The bonus track from Bloodworld - Entering the Eternal Dawn could also have fitted quite easily onto the PMA album.

yaark
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Black Rider, Drawnsword, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:17 pm

This thread is turning into the Blood World appreciation thread. 

And I LOVE IT!

Post-Post Momentary Mortification albums that are worth checking out - Page 3 Love-it-love
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

mothy and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:48 pm

I did this major major Mp3 project years ago where I went through my hundreds of cds and vetted the best 1600 or so songs. I just went with what sounded good and moved quickly.

I expected Bride, Tourniquet, Falconer, Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden...I don't know...someone else to win...

When I tallied it up Morty had way more vetted songs than any of the other bands I would have said were my favorites.
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Black Rider, Pethead, Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:31 pm

Pethead wrote:This thread is turning into the Blood World appreciation thread. 

And I LOVE IT!

Post-Post Momentary Mortification albums that are worth checking out - Page 3 Thumb_no-no-god-pleaseno-no-no0000-makeameme-org-no-no-god-48884061
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

eatbugs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:11 am

Pethead wrote:Vaughn is very similar. I generally think of GF has being similar overall to Morty (albeit more consistent, but with lesser highs).

Now for an all-time thrash vocalist:
Classic  Cool
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:02 pm

What!
Katon de Pena is awesome!

City of the Dead has one of my favorite metal screams ever (starts at about 1:50)

Katon was pretty terrible in the 80's albums though. But he sounded fantastic in some of the comeback albums. Great raspy voice.

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:49 am

I've been thankful for all these posts, going back into the albums I owned (Primitive and back) and encouraging me to rebuy Envision Evangeline and purchasing Hammer of God, Triumph of Mercy and The Silver Cord is Severed for the first time. 

I know people haven't, over the years, raved about Hammer of God and Silver Cord but I really enjoy these albums! Both have a great classic metal feel. Hammer of God is heavy, solid, filled with variations on chugging classic metal riffing. Never would have guessed given bad things I'd heard years ago! That album encouraged me to press forward to Silver Cord. The Silver Cord Is Severed, while similar to HoG, has some nice stoner/70's style licks, killer solos and at other times a punkish feel (I Am A Revolutionary in particular) all making it even more unique. When I used to listen to Sodom they had an album called "Get What You Deserve" and it was more punk that anything in their catalogue. I loved it. Not my favorite but, like this, enjoyable and certainly has something that will fit my mood at times better than some of their other material. I'm enjoy this. I'm definitely going to enjoy Relentless when I get to that.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Pethead, mothy and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:19 am

Frozen Fire wrote:I've been thankful for all these posts, going back into the albums I owned (Primitive and back) and encouraging me to rebuy Envision Evangeline and purchasing Hammer of God, Triumph of Mercy and The Silver Cord is Severed for the first time. 

I know people haven't, over the years, raved about Hammer of God and Silver Cord but I really enjoy these albums! Both have a great classic metal feel. Hammer of God is heavy, solid, filled with variations on chugging classic metal riffing. Never would have guessed given bad things I'd heard years ago! That album encouraged me to press forward to Silver Cord. The Silver Cord Is Severed, while similar to HoG, has some nice stoner/70's style licks, killer solos and at other times a punkish feel (I Am A Revolutionary in particular) all making it even more unique. When I used to listen to Sodom they had an album called "Get What You Deserve" and it was more punk that anything in their catalogue. I loved it. Not my favorite but, like this, enjoyable and certainly has something that will fit my mood at times better than some of their other material. I'm enjoy this. I'm definitely going to enjoy Relentless when I get to that.
I never had any issues with the vocals or music of any of the Mort albums but it was the simplistic cheesy lyrics that always put me off. With that said I have gone back through and have enjoyed Relentless, Hammer of God (still need to buy) and to some extent Braincleaner and Erasing the Goblin.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:19 am

I LOVE HoG. And Silver Cord is super underrated. Like you mentioned, there are some great licks on that album. Plus, the drumming is quite good.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:51 am

mothy wrote:

I never had any issues with the vocals or music of any of the Mort albums but it was the simplistic cheesy lyrics that always put me off. With that said I have gone back through and have enjoyed Relentless, Hammer of God (still need to buy) and to some extent Braincleaner and Erasing the Goblin.
I'm quite with you on this. I've always thought Steve's vocals were great (at least the albums I listened to).
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and mothy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3