The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post-Post Momentary Mortification albums that are worth checking out

+14
mothy
Raegoul
Sevenoneself
eatbugs
Drawnsword
Dustofyears
TZ75
Ammocas
scottmitchell74
Frozen Fire
Pethead
Black Rider
Constantine
CrimsonWarrior
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Post-Post Momentary Mortification albums that are worth checking out Empty Post-Post Momentary Mortification albums that are worth checking out

Post by CrimsonWarrior Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:27 am

Mortification has a long discography and, I'm curious, which albums after Sherlock left the band are actually worth listening to? Most of what I have sampled from that era sounds boring or lackluster, but I have a feeling there has to be something good waiting there.
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post-Post Momentary Mortification albums that are worth checking out Empty Re: Post-Post Momentary Mortification albums that are worth checking out

Post by Constantine Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:35 am

I think it's fair to say that all the post-PMA albums are spotty and have their really good songs and their lackluster / boring songs.  The only one that is not worth hearing at all IMO is The Evil Addiction Destroying Machine (well it has one good song, Alexander The Metalworker).  Otherwise I'm partial to Relentless.

Best Of Mortification Playlist - Spotify
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post-Post Momentary Mortification albums that are worth checking out Empty Re: Post-Post Momentary Mortification albums that are worth checking out

Post by Black Rider Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:45 am

Erasing the Goblin is great, Relentless and Hammer of God are really good. None like with Jason but still some good stuff.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:22 pm

Blood World, Primitive Rhythm Machine, EnVision Evangelene, Hammer of God, and Erasing the Goblin would be my suggestions.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Ammocas, TZ75, scottmitchell74 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:38 pm

What an interesting question! Just two months ago I was wondering the same thing (except mine was post-Primitive Rhythm Machine) and saw each Mortification album on sale for 25% off at Metal Helm. I ordered Envision Evangeline and Hammer of God as double disc remasters in August and just two days ago ordered the 2 disc Triumph of Mercy and The Silver Chord is Severed (now part of their going out of business sale ). 

I was pleasantly surprised by both EE and Hammer of God. I always liked Primitive Rhythm Machine, despite its horrible snare sound. Envision Evangeline has a similar style with one giant 18 minute epic. Like everything from this era Steve mixes his shouted vocals (which I long despised and now enjoy more) with occasional death growls. I actually just listened to it yesterday and today again all the way through. It's much better than I had remembered (I'd heard it over 20 yrs earlier). Not every song is great but I'd say 6 out of the 8 are real solid and 4 of them are tracks I love. The guitar work and the addition of excellent solos really helps and the production is super solid. 

In the same way Hammer of God is tremendously helped by those same strengths. It's almost pure heavy metal. The guitar work is fantastic and really helped me understand and enjoy Steve's shouted vocals more. I think this is more solid than EE but people may not like the style as much. 

I'm hoping something similar with the latter two. That said, people seem really divided on the Post - Post Momentary Affliction material. I could never get a consensus and I kept checking out youtube videos to make decisions. I listened to The Silver Chord and liked what I heard and people here and elsewhere often panned it. Triumph of Mercy also seems to engender really mixed views. I'm curious about these and will keep going if I find myself enjoying what is coming.

I'm curious again what others will say. Relentless, Erasing the Goblin are currently next on my list but I wanted to make sure I got the 2 disc editions while they were on sale and available.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Pethead and Ammocas like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:28 pm

Pethead wrote:Blood World, Primitive Rhythm Machine, EnVision Evangelene, Hammer of God, and Erasing the Goblin would be my suggestions.

This is a strong list and is my exact suggestion.
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:39 pm

Pethead wrote:Blood World, Primitive Rhythm Machine, EnVision Evangelene, Hammer of God, and Erasing the Goblin would be my suggestions.
All the above are good especially Envision Evangelene and Hammer of God. I would also suggest Relentless…it’s probably my favorite of the newer releases. I’m probably in the minority, but I do like The Silver Chord Is Severed also.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:11 pm

From the non-Sherlock albums I own:

Blood World
Primitive Rhythm Machine
EnVision EvAngelene
Hammer of God
Relentless 

Triumph of Mercy is okay… I don’t like “The Silver Chord”. Erasing the Goblin might be the last semi-quality album (but I don’t currently own it).
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Ammocas likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:35 pm

Ones I like post Affliction are: Blood world and primitive rhythm machine. After that, for me, they have some good tunes here and there but mostly, to be quite frank and honest, It's all pretty cheesy after Primitive. The art work is just horrendous and the music is a joke. They were are a great band before that. It was really disappointing actually. Don't know why they went down hill after primitive.

To be fair, even though Steve hates it when people say this, but it's just facts- cancer took it's toll. Steve is a strong character and I respect him for doing what he believed in.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Drawnsword Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:22 pm

I enjoy these great albums, especially around the times, but also nostalgic...
Blood World
Primitive Rhythm Machine
EnVision Evangelene
Triumph of Mercy (powerfull come back knowing what Steve went through)

These other albums i havn't played very often,(i should revisit them in order of release) though theres some killer tracks sprinkled among them...
Hammer of God
Relentless
The Silver Cord is Severed
Brain Cleaner
Erasing the Goblin
Drawnsword
Drawnsword
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://drawnswordgraphix.blogspot.co.nz/

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:28 pm

Everything from Blood World on sounds like demos for the greatest metal band ever, not finished products.

Unpopular opinions:
Blood World and Primitive Rhythm Machine are no better than any later releases, but because they were on Intense Records they get more love.
Brain Cleaner is one of the best post-PMA releases.  It sounds to me a lot like unused songs from PMA.

I agree with Dustofyears on the cancer issue.

My answer:
Blood World
Triumph of Mercy
Hammer of God
Brain Cleaner

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:42 pm

eatbugs wrote:Everything from Blood World on sounds like demos for the greatest metal band ever, not finished products.

Unpopular opinions:
Blood World and Primitive Rhythm Machine are no better than any later releases, but because they were on Intense Records they get more love.
Brain Cleaner is one of the best post-PMA releases.  It sounds to me a lot like unused songs from PMA.

My answer:
Blood World
Triumph of Mercy
Hammer of God
Brain Cleaner
I couldn’t care less what label BW and PRM are on. I didn’t get into Morty until 2006 so I didn’t pay any attention to the labels. I just like those records (especially BW). 
Brain Cleaner definitely has its moments. It’s grown on me.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:19 pm

eatbugs wrote:Everything from Blood World on sounds like demos for the greatest metal band ever, not finished products.

Unpopular opinions:

My answer:
Blood World
Triumph of Mercy
Hammer of God
Brain Cleaner

Brain Cleaner sounds like a demo to me. I don’t know what it is… but it’s half-baked. I’m not sure if it’s the mixing or mastering.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:41 am

Actually, I use the word 'actually' too much, actually.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

eatbugs, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:38 am

And actually, Bloodworld and Primitive are cool Mort albums! Based on the music and not because of what label they were signed with... strange kind of logic... and actually, they could've been on a no name label and I would actually still like them all the same. There are some good moments though on other later albums and the bass is always killer. Would've been good if they got a new vocalist actually and Steve wrote and played bass...
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, TZ75, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:47 am

I remember how disappointed I was with Blood World and Primitive Rhythm Machine that I never listened to another Mort album. The cover on PRM was SO AWESOME and I was expecting music to match! 

Having said that, it's time I go back and give them another spin, as this was about 25 years ago.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:19 pm

Exactly!  I wonder if it could have been Post Momentary Affliction II if it had the production (and Sherlock drumming) of PMA.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:50 pm

I always liked the rawness of Primitive Rhythm Machine…and the artwork is killer …. I appreciated it for what it was.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Constantine and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:55 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:I remember how disappointed I was with Blood World and Primitive Rhythm Machine that I never listened to another Mort album. The cover on PRM was SO AWESOME and I was expecting music to match! 

Having said that, it's time I go back and give them another spin, as this was about 25 years ago.

Man, I thought they were great from moment one.
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Black Rider, Pethead, mothy, TZ75, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:11 pm

This is a top tier Morty song:

Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider, TZ75, Dustofyears and scottmitchell74 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:20 pm

Pethead wrote:This is a top tier Morty song:

Can't stand it.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:47 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:
Pethead wrote:This is a top tier Morty song:

Can't stand it.
This must be one of these weird things called preferences & opinions. The songs on these albums just seem cheesy and amateurish to me. I know I'm not completely out-to-lunch on this opinion b/c most people reguard the first albums as the masterpieces and the rest of the catalogue as hit-and-miss, but I know part of it is my preference.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:53 pm

Yeah, but you also think AtWB is Theocracy’s best album, so you’re clearly smoking something.Razz
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:01 am

I don’t know why you would consider it more amateurish than some of the songs on the debut. You might like the debut better, that’s fine. (And I would put the debut above BW too). But I don’t see how this song is amateurish. It’s got good riffs, a good hook, a good arrangement, and a killer drum performance.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:33 am

Pethead wrote:Yeah, but you also think AtWB is Theocracy’s best album, so you’re clearly smoking something.Razz
One of us is smoking something...or both of us!  lol!

I'd like to be able to indicate why my preference is this, but it's hard. I agree, both albums we're discussing have cool riffs, great production, AWESOME drumming, great playing. I just don't enjoy the style, songwriting OR possibly the arrangement. I'll spin them again and see if I can give you something more concrete!

But in the meantime, it's probably more believable that I'm smoking something, as you are the pastor with a master's! I'm a burned-out former pastor, so I'm probably smoking weed or eating 'brownies' to calm my nerves! 
Post-Post Momentary Mortification albums that are worth checking out Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYiIGSBcB0OUuWWuFenrPaOkUrbkeUXhBhji6N3ebWKrTXYrxF7iWOVtsIeeWHQsEU2Lk&usqp=CAU
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next