The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Living Sacrifice - Nonexistent (remixed and remastered) coming soon...

+14
Dustofyears
Son of Nun
crucifyd
Constantine
xMetalMarkx
Deadpool
mothy
CrimsonWarrior
a_donkey-named-kevin
jaydeecrawson
Sevenoneself
TZ75
Pethead
Lex Metalis
18 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Living Sacrifice - Nonexistent (remixed and remastered) coming soon... - Page 3 Empty Re: Living Sacrifice - Nonexistent (remixed and remastered) coming soon...

Post by Constantine Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:08 pm

Son of Nun wrote:I decided to pre-order the CD, gold vinyl, t-shirt, long sleeve, and poster.
Thanks for the good report.  I like the long sleeves.  What kind of postage are we talking about?  It doesn't indicate anywhere how much postage would be.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Living Sacrifice - Nonexistent (remixed and remastered) coming soon... - Page 3 Empty Re: Living Sacrifice - Nonexistent (remixed and remastered) coming soon...

Post by Son of Nun Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:33 pm

Constantine wrote:
Son of Nun wrote:I decided to pre-order the CD, gold vinyl, t-shirt, long sleeve, and poster.
Thanks for the good report.  I like the long sleeves.  What kind of postage are we talking about?  It doesn't indicate anywhere how much postage would be.

For all of that about $19 from Norway to the U.S. It may seem like a bit but if you buy one of the bundles from Nordic Mission the actual price per item (even after shipping) is quite reasonable and a much better deal than the Living Sacrifice website. My total was about $102 (including shipping). The same merchandise (including shipping) from the LS website is about $141.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and no poster on the LS website, though you do you get a download code from them. However, I saved enough at Nordic Mission to buy the download from LS and still had money left over.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:18 am

Son of Nun wrote:EDIT: Oh yeah, and no poster on the LS website, though you do you get a download code from them.

by that do you mean a Bandcamp code or an email link from
SendOwl to the MP3 download? looking for FLAC if available...
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:40 am

crucifyd wrote:
Son of Nun wrote:EDIT: Oh yeah, and no poster on the LS website, though you do you get a download code from them.

by that do you mean a Bandcamp code or an email link from
SendOwl to the MP3 download? looking for FLAC if available...

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the SendOwl MP3 link. I don't think FLAC is available. You'd have to rip the WAV from CD to get lossless.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Son of Nun likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:31 am

Actually I think the album is fine the way it is. But they need to stick the book end chant back on there...
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:47 pm

I had spread the word of this to a couple of people I know. They both think it sounds great!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:03 pm

Just got mine today. It definitely sounds better! More punchy and full sounding. The drums especially stand out.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:16 am

TZ75 wrote:The drums especially stand out.

One of my highlights as well.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ChosenNightwolf Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:35 pm

Anyone here know if "Desolate" was remixed and remastered for the album? It sounds to me like it might have been, but I'm not sure.
ChosenNightwolf
ChosenNightwolf
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.aflameinthedark.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:52 am

Son of Nun wrote:A couple days ago I listened to this album most of the day on repeat trying to rate it and decide what I wanted to pre-order. I had been on the fence about it but, listening intently, it really started to grow on me and I got used to the vocals more. I got the digital download and what a difference! The vocals are much better integrated and the whole thing just has more punch. I decided to pre-order the CD, gold vinyl, t-shirt, long sleeve, and poster.
It's actually a really good album bro. Vocals are killer.  This and Scrolls stands up to anything out there dubbed as top tier death metal. And I've pretty much heard all the death metal  stuff that is worth listening to. I sort of get the impression a lot of the times, people just wont th same old same old generic Stuff. You know, give me cannibal corpse or Frank Mullen 10000 times over... No damnation meant towards Frank or the corpse of course. That's why I don't like Jayson's new band- it's just nothing new, same old same old generic stuff.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:52 am

I was listening to this interview last night: Bruce Fitzhugh of Living Sacrifice | As The Story Grows

At about 42:00, he talks about the recording of Nonexistent. He says that he has never liked the album, and discusses the conflicts with DJ reguarding the vocal sound. The album simply didn't turn out the way that they had hoped.

This isn't great news for the few of us who absolutely love the album! But it's still interesting to hear the stories and situations that impacted the album and the history of LS.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:52 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:I was listening to this interview last night: Bruce Fitzhugh of Living Sacrifice | As The Story Grows

At about 42:00, he talks about the recording of Nonexistent. He says that he has never liked the album, and discusses the conflicts with DJ reguarding the vocal sound. The album simply didn't turn out the way that they had hoped.

This isn't great news for the few of us who absolutely love the album! But it's still interesting to hear the stories and situations that impacted the album and the history of LS.
Interesting they weren't happy with that album. Wasn't metal core enough I suppose. Anyhow, that album and the vocals slays! If you don't like the vocals or this album you just have bad taste, especially if you rate the stuff that comes after it as "better" (Don't bite little fishy, it's a trap). Have you seen the footage of them at Cornerstone on you tube at this time period... it's short but full of brutal energy and fury. Wish there was more live stuff from that time. That's when they were in beast mode before they become another mediocre core band. They should've just changed their name it's not even the same band. Just call me, MR OPINION! Man it's hard being right all the time but we all carry our own burdens.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:41 am

I'm in the minority here.  I don't care for the remastering at all.  The original is one of the best-sounding death metal albums to me.  I love the low end on it.  It always sounded so resonant, warm, haunting, and powerful.  I used to fall asleep to it in college.  The new version is cold, thin, and abrasive.  It's clearer, sure, but that's not what I like in death metal.  I don't think I would care for this album at all if it had come out with this cold mix originally.  Just a preference, but I'm glad I still have the original to listen to!

strangerhoncho
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:42 am

I'm big into death metal but and I agree with Bruce about the vocal sound, just doesn't work imo. And I don't mind some deathcore at times and think it's a better fit for them.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:46 pm

I've been listening to a few interviews the last few days and I've been semi-surprised at how many bands have been unhappy with the production of an album. I'd be very disappointed and disheartened to put so much effort, time and emotion into something so personal and have it come out wrong. 

Dustofyears:
Interesting they weren't happy with that album. Wasn't metal core enough I suppose. Anyhow, that album and the vocals slays! If you don't like the vocals or this album you just have bad taste, especially if you rate the stuff that comes after it as "better" (Don't bite little fishy, it's a trap). Have you seen the footage of them at Cornerstone on you tube at this time period... it's short but full of brutal energy and fury. Wish there was more live stuff from that time. That's when they were in beast mode before they become another mediocre core band. They should've just changed their name it's not even the same band. Just call me, MR OPINION! Man it's hard being right all the time but we all carry our own burdens.
I agree with most of your thoughts here. It's my favourite LS album.

Strangerhoncho:
I'm in the minority here.  I don't care for the remastering at all.  The original is one of the best-sounding death metal albums to me.  I love the low end on it.  It always sounded so resonant, warm, haunting, and powerful.  I used to fall asleep to it in college.  The new version is cold, thin, and abrasive.  It's clearer, sure, but that's not what I like in death metal.  I don't think I would care for this album at all if it had come out with this cold mix originally.  Just a preference, but I'm glad I still have the original to listen to!
After having listened to it quite a few times over the last few months, I think I agree with you. The remastered version is different and improves some aspects, but there is a tradeoff and I'm not sure it's actually better overall.

I'm not familiar with Jeremiah Scott, but it didn't seem like he was dialed in to the album and its original crowd. If so, he would have included some of the iconic mixing decisions like the hard panned mono guitar parts.

I think the only way you could bolster the deep end would be to use some kick drum samples and possibly even some bass overdubs. I'm not sure what the budget was for the remaster; these additions could have been too much money.

I like this album so much that I'd be interested in doing some work on the original myself and see what I come up with. I wouldn't spend a ton of time but I think it'd be doable to keep the feel of the original but fix some of the original mixing hiccups.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

strangerhoncho and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:10 pm

The music on Nonexistent is great. I’ve never had an issue with the production, either. It’s the vocals that let it down. 

At any rate, they’ve never come close to topping their debut, even though I’ve enjoyed all their stuff to some degree.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider, mothy and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:08 pm

Pethead wrote:The music on Nonexistent is great. I’ve never had an issue with the production, either. It’s the vocals that let it down. 

At any rate, they’ve never come close to topping their debut, even though I’ve enjoyed all their stuff to some degree.

I've never had a problem with the music either, but I have enjoyed some of the remasters where the volume level and EQ of older albums have been updated to today's standards. 

I have digitized a fair number of cassettes through the years and I always import them into Reaper and do this quick 2 step process on them. 

I know that it's pretty geeky and OCD but I get to choose what I do with my time, right?!
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:14 pm

DJ’s vocals worked best with the thrash sound. Bruce’s vocals are better for the more extreme stuff. 

Nonexistent has better vocals than Torn Flesh, though.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider, TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:41 pm

strangerhoncho wrote:I'm in the minority here.  I don't care for the remastering at all.  The original is one of the best-sounding death metal albums to me.  I love the low end on it.  It always sounded so resonant, warm, haunting, and powerful.  I used to fall asleep to it in college.  The new version is cold, thin, and abrasive.  It's clearer, sure, but that's not what I like in death metal.  I don't think I would care for this album at all if it had come out with this cold mix originally.  Just a preference, but I'm glad I still have the original to listen to!
Right on Honcho. There is nothing wrong with the original. Would like to hear the remaster just to see what's up, but I am happy with my copy EXCEPT that for some reason the chanting book end of the album has been snipped for some reason, unless I imagined it was there...
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:06 pm

I like the vocals on the s/t. 

You can have shouted vocals mixed with death style music. The band Devastation proved that.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:40 pm

Dustofyears wrote:
strangerhoncho wrote:I'm in the minority here.  I don't care for the remastering at all.  The original is one of the best-sounding death metal albums to me.  I love the low end on it.  It always sounded so resonant, warm, haunting, and powerful.  I used to fall asleep to it in college.  The new version is cold, thin, and abrasive.  It's clearer, sure, but that's not what I like in death metal.  I don't think I would care for this album at all if it had come out with this cold mix originally.  Just a preference, but I'm glad I still have the original to listen to!
Right on Honcho. There is nothing wrong with the original. Would like to hear the remaster just to see what's up, but I am happy with my copy EXCEPT that for some reason the chanting book end of the album has been snipped for some reason, unless I imagined it was there...

If you missed it earlier in the thread, I did a short comparison video on YouTube. 

Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:54 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

If you missed it earlier in the thread, I did a short comparison video on YouTube. 

Hey thanks Seven. Yeah I did miss that. So... this is really the remaster... I am in disbelief... cannot believe what i am hearing... truly losfer words...
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:18 am

Pethead wrote:The music on Nonexistent is great. I’ve never had an issue with the production, either. It’s the vocals that let it down. 

I'm fine with the vocals on Nonexistent.  They weren't my favorite when it came out, but I grew to appreciate them as just another instrument adding tone.

Their debut is still my favorite by them by far as well, though.  Everything else they've done is great and gets regular spins, although I rarely listen to Inhabit.

strangerhoncho
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Aporia Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:27 pm

I just got the dl of this and it sounds great!!!

Aporia
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:50 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

had another listen to this remix comparison. It's atrocious! I could do this on Audacity. I mean it was bad enough they went all metalcore but did they have to destroy one of the greatest and most unique death metal albums around... $$$ they've ripped the guts out of it and left a tin shed blaring through the smallest set of tiny headphones you could possibly imagine. How could anyone like this?
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next