The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New KING'S X album & song "Let It Rain"

+6
Dustofyears
TZ75
deathisgain
Sevenoneself
Black Rider
Constantine
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New KING'S X album &  song "Let It Rain" - Page 2 Empty Re: New KING'S X album & song "Let It Rain"

Post by Dustofyears Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:36 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:
Constantine wrote:
Sevenoneself wrote:I've tried to become an uber King's X fan multiple times. I love many of their songs and learned quite a few on guitar 'cuz they're fun to play: Summerland, Pleiades, Black Flag, Lost in Germany, Cigarettes, Flies & Blue Skies,
Hey if you ever want to teach me how to play "Flies & Blue Skies," I'm all ears...er, fingers!

Flies & Blue Skies: I did never learn the solos, just the rhythm guitars; it's easier to play b/c the tempo is so slow! I definitely would need a refresher now; it would have been about '97 or '98 that I learned it.

Could still play Cigarettes and Black Flag, I'm sure, those were my favourites to play. Lost in Germany is also alot of fun. That's one reason I kept listening to King's X, b/c the guitar parts were fun to play.
once had the tab books for gretch and s/T and fHL- learned quite a few songs of those.

FHL is an amazing album!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

New KING'S X album &  song "Let It Rain" - Page 2 Empty Re: New KING'S X album & song "Let It Rain"

Post by TZ75 Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:05 pm

Ty has announced that he has a serious illness and will be getting treatments. This means the European shows are postponed. 

https://blabbermouth.net/news/kings-x-guitarist-ty-tabor-diagnosed-with-serious-illness-european-tour-canceled

I wonder what his illness is?
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:22 pm

That's too bad, hope he pulls through.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75 and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:31 pm

Black Rider wrote:That's too bad, hope he pulls through.

This kinda stuff seems to happen a lot in recent times.

Usually right before a new album or a big tour. They could be fine for years (when they are on hiatus), but then all of a sudden…
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:15 am

Ahh... all my music heroes are getting older and so I am with them...

Summerland
The wind is getting cold
Summerland
You're finally getting old
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, My Awesome Timothy and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:47 am

The full album just got released.   I have listened to most of it so far.  
It is better than I expected.  Good mix of mid-paced and slower groove songs. 
There's barely a reminder of the dizzying prog workouts from the first 4 albums.
Overall it's the first album since "Dogman" that I can sit and listen to all the way through without hitting the skip button.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:09 pm

I think it’s a decent album. It obviously can’t compete with anything up through Dogman, but I enjoyed it.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider, Constantine and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:39 am

I'd give it a 2.5, like everything since Tape Head it's inconsistent.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Bahana Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:45 pm

Got the CD today. It's definitely worth listening to on a sound system with a good bass response. Very immersive and flows well from song to song.
Bahana
Bahana
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Constantine and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:14 am

They always do this to me ever since Dogman. I'll listen to the album and it's always something unexpected and different from the last or from what I was imaginging. Always! I've listened to this album a number times through and now most of the songs are clicking. Serious King's x fans understand this. Casual listeners, not so much. The only issue I have is I wish Dug sang on the thing a bit more and does come of more like each member throwing in solo efforts with the help of each other (if that makes sense) rather than a pure band effort. But it's cool.

There's about two, perhaps three, songs which are meh but the rest have sunk in. Still have not grabbed the album but will do soon.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:08 am

It starts strong, the first three songs are quintessential KX. After that I find it inconsistent, Take the Time is a nice acoustic number but Festival is a throw away. Nothing is really bad it's just missing the strength of the early albums.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:34 am

I bought the album… I don’t like it. I returned it to Amazon. 

I don’t like the production and the songs are not catchy. It feels forced. Very disappointing after all the years since the last album. I think part of the problem is that Ty and Dug spend too much time on their solo albums (and side projects). The creative energy is spent. 

The last album I really enjoyed from them is Tapehead.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:46 am

TZ75 wrote:I bought the album… I don’t like it. I returned it to Amazon.
I'm curious what reason you were able to use to return a CD?

Did you have to pay postage back?

I've returned items on Amazon and they are no longer as easy or generous with returns as they used to be.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:03 am

Constantine wrote:
TZ75 wrote:I bought the album… I don’t like it. I returned it to Amazon.
I'm curious what reason you were able to use to return a CD?

Did you have to pay postage back?

I've returned items on Amazon and they are no longer as easy or generous with returns as they used to be.

They have several return reasons to pick. Unfortunately “not liking” isn’t one of them. I chose the “bought by mistake” option. Technically, it was a mistake! 

You also need to make sure the item is sold by Amazon. It’s not always as easy to return to a third party seller. 

Amazon is a frustrating experience. You have no idea how many damaged CD jewel-cases and improper packaging they use.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:29 am

The album has grown on me. But it really does come across like solo project stuff from each member just slapped together with a little from from my friends from the old band I was in. It's like King's x doesn't matter much to them anymore... One reason, I know there are others, They didn't like Sam Taylor, was because he pushed them and made them work. And he got the best result out of those guys, absolutely in my opinion.

Though the album has actually grown on me, and as usual, the hooks do show up, I understand where TZ75 is coming from.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead, TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:43 am

Funny how some tension can push a band to do better. I think Dokken was that way with the internal tension.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead, Dustofyears, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:45 pm

Black Rider wrote:Funny how some tension can push a band to do better. I think Dokken was that way with the internal tension.
Yeah Paul and John and, well frankly the Beatles on the whole.George was the master mind behind the Beatles really. Always thought Sam Taylor was the for King's X too. GNR with Slash and Axle. And the list goes on forever. But look at the songs and music they came out with.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:13 am

Sam Taylor may have been a pain in the A**, but he got the best out of them! Nothing will top the first few albums. Honorable mention to Dogman and Tapehead.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:15 am

Dogman was fantastic because it was recorded live to tape. Plus the songs are great. After that, meh. Hit and miss.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead, TZ75, BaleMaster, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:58 pm

Constantine wrote:Dogman was fantastic because it was recorded live to tape.  Plus the songs are great.  After that, meh.  Hit and miss.
Absolutely…but I do like Tape Head, just not as solid as Dogman or the earlier albums. I saw them live on their Tape Head tour with The Galactic Cowboys…that was one of the best concerts I’d ever seen.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Constantine, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:35 am

Ammocas wrote:
Constantine wrote:Dogman was fantastic because it was recorded live to tape.  Plus the songs are great.  After that, meh.  Hit and miss.
Absolutely…but I do like Tape Head, just not as solid as Dogman or the earlier albums. I saw them live on their Tape Head tour with The Galactic Cowboys…that was one of the best concerts I’d ever seen.
I saw that same tour....it was 1998 or 1999.  I saw King's X and Galactic Cowboys in a small club, I believe it was Tramps in NYC.  Galactic Cowboys was the opener and they were much heavier live, almost like a thrash band.  King's X was good but when I saw them in 1991 they were magical.   That was one of the best concerts I've ever seen.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:31 pm

I saw both groups together twice and the second time was definitely different. I think both groups were more jaded and it showed though still a good concert.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Constantine and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:04 pm

Yeah something was missing the 2nd time I saw King's X.   It just didn't have that "wow" factor and I was only about 15 feet from them this time.  They didn't seem as into it.  But, it's hard to maintain the same enthusiasm and energy night after night.  I experienced that when I took acting in college, and played in talent shows with a band.  Those many rehearsals can make you stale and tired....
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:27 pm

I'll always love KIng'x!

Let's no forget how they old they are too. But they are tired, they look like they are just going through the motions after all these long years I suppose. I feel bad for saying dumb things about them...

Last edited by Dustofyears on Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:29 pm

Constantine wrote:
Ammocas wrote:
I saw that same tour....it was 1998 or 1999.  I saw King's X and Galactic Cowboys in a small club, I believe it was Tramps in NYC.  Galactic Cowboys was the opener and they were much heavier live, almost like a thrash band.  King's X was good but when I saw them in 1991 they were magical.   That was one of the best concerts I've ever seen.
Yeah they were lightning in a bottle in those early years, but never Managed to escape the bottle. Real Shame in this way.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next