The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prove me wrong

+10
Kerrick
Black Rider
BaleMaster
stevegarveyfan
TZ75
Pethead
Raegoul
mothy
Soundmass.com
Dustofyears
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Prove me wrong Empty Prove me wrong

Post by Dustofyears Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:50 am

Prove me wrong Lets_p10
Name a Christian band that almost or does have a totally unique sound that is not an alternative or a copy and paste sound of a secular band. The idea is then for someone to prove you wrong by naming another band and perhaps even giving us a sample of that band. Does the majority agree with assessment- let's find out...

Here's a few- Vengeance rising (Mayhaps the most obvious)

Seventh Angel

King's X (oh be quiet)

Horde- kidding

Prove me wrong. Go ahead, make my day- punks!

How about ewes, whatcha got for me..
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Prove me wrong Empty Re: Prove me wrong

Post by Soundmass.com Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:08 pm

Scaterd-Few

Dig Hay Zoose

Soundmass.com
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

BaleMaster and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:28 pm

Precious Death

I jumped the gun and named what I thought was a unique band.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Staybrite and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:19 pm

Soundmass.com wrote:Scaterd-Few

Dig Hay Zoose
I love Scaterd few but you can‘t deny a heavy Bad Brains influence. The bands toured together too and I read somewhere Ramald and H.R. were friends.

Edit: The Lead is unique, I further nominate Torn Flesh and Breakfast With Amy
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:55 pm

Raegoul wrote:

Dig Hay Zoose
I love Scaterd few but you can‘t deny a heavy Bad Brains influence. The bands toured together too and I read somewhere Ramald and H.R. were friends.

Edit: The Lead is unique, I further nominate Torn Flesh and Breakfast With Amy
Sweet mercy, I hope Torn Flesh is unique.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

BaleMaster, Dustofyears and Raegoul like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:27 pm

It’s pretty obvious Tourniquet is unique. I can’t think of a band as quirky and scatterbrained with ideas. (I think the King Diamond comparison is weak and doesn’t stick beyond the first album)

I’ve never heard any vocalist that sounds like Roger Martinez. He was like the metal version of Bobcat Goldthwait. 😆 
Not to mention they had a weird bluesy thrash style with Larry’s solos.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Louder, BaleMaster and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegarveyfan Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:32 am

Galactic Cowboys
Believer's "Dimensions" album
Decision-D
Jerusalem
Lust Control
One Bad Pig
Possession
scaterd-few
Seventh Angel's "Lament for the Weary" album
Stryper
Tourniquet - first three albums
stevegarveyfan
stevegarveyfan
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:54 am

Saviour Machine!
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:01 am

BaleMaster wrote:Saviour Machine!
I always got Sisters of Mercy vibes but I only know one or two songs from each band…
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:12 am

Dig Hay Zoose
Well DigHayZoose (and I hate to say it cause I really dig their music) is an easy one: Jane's Addiction, there's just no escaping it. So they are pretty much copy and paste, but better than the copy itself in my opinion- like Saint. (I could shove a song here so people can see but their covers aren't really of the christian taste (nudity).

Scaterd few: heard of them along the way but never listened to them for whatever reason. Had a quick listen but can't really judge a band from a quick listen of one song... So who can prove it wrong

At the end of this, and i hope to make a list of the of truly original and unique Christian artists (especially metal)
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:23 am

mothy wrote:Precious Death

Hmmm, I hear Helmet influence bar the vocals. But influence is not a bad thing and can probably pull that out of anything. Anyone got a secular band to match.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:32 am

TZ75 wrote:It’s pretty obvious Tourniquet is unique. I can’t think of a band as quirky and scatterbrained with ideas. (I think the King Diamond comparison is weak and doesn’t stick beyond the first album)

I’ve never heard any vocalist that sounds like Roger Martinez. He was like the metal version of Bobcat Goldthwait. 😆 
Not to mention they had a weird bluesy thrash style with Larry’s solos.
Don't think you're going to get any arguments from anyone on these two. Even with the Judas priest/king vokills, there's no other thrash or metal band that sounds like TQT

Without any doubts I would everyone would agree Both Vengeance Rising and TQT make the list of unique Christian metal bands with their own DNA.

Unless someone can step up and proves it wrong!

thought so. No doubts were seen nor heard. That's two for the list.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:38 am

stevegarveyfan wrote:Galactic Cowboys
Believer's "Dimensions" album
Decision-D
Jerusalem
Lust Control
One Bad Pig
Possession
scaterd-few
Seventh Angel's "Lament for the Weary" album
Stryper
Tourniquet - first three albums
Decision D is  Pantera mashed up with Metallica ain't it... nothing unique about that band that I remember...

One pIg I agree with- can anyone bring the doubt...

Galactic Cowboys for sure!

Stryper... actually come to think of it, have to agree... anyone bring the doubt...

Seventh Angel- what about Torment... Don't think I have heard a thrash album or band sound like that...

The other bands I know the names but can't remember what the music sounds like...

Good list!

Last edited by Dustofyears on Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:44 am

BaleMaster wrote:Saviour Machine!

dunno... always thought they sounded kind of generic except for the way the singer looks (minds me of pinhead without the nails). Might be just me but they give off an almost evangelical charismatic church vibe but in the style of goth-metal... heck guess the same can be said about Petra and Bloodgood and what not... Sometimes the singer reminds me of JImmy Brown here and there, like on the 1990 album...

Could be wrong though. What ewes reckon... they belong on the sacred list of uniquity?
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:10 pm

TQT has some Sacrifice vibes mixed with King Diamond vocals at times. But those are influences, they have a unigue spin.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:13 pm

Dustofyears wrote:

Dig Hay Zoose
Well DigHayZoose (and I hate to say it cause I really dig their music) is an easy one: Jane's Addiction, there's just no escaping it. So they are pretty much copy and paste, but better than the copy itself in my opinion- like Saint. (I could shove a song here so people can see but their covers aren't really of the christian taste (nudity).

Scaterd few: heard of them along the way but never listened to them for whatever reason. Had a quick listen but can't really judge a band from a quick listen of one song... So who can prove it wrong

At the end of this, and i hope to make a list of the of truly original and unique Christian artists (especially metal)
I already said it, Scaterd few = Bad Brains

I found the Crucified quite unique.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:15 pm

Got some Faith No More vibes from a few songs but don‘t know their whole catalogue
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:46 am

Raegoul wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

Dig Hay Zoose

I already said it, Scaterd few = Bad Brains

I found the Crucified quite unique.
Noted- Familiar with bad brains but not Scatered- take your word for it- off the list.

yeah I think that about the Crucified too. Can't think of anything quite like their brand or sound of hardcore thrash punk... Anyone got something...

Last edited by Dustofyears on Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Raegoul likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:50 am

Raegoul wrote:

Got some Faith No More vibes from a few songs but don‘t know their whole catalogue
Yeah from the little I have heard I can pick up a bit of Helmet influence, but can't really totally pin them down. They might be part of the list.

Have a feeling the old myth that most Christian bands are copy and paste of Secular bands might be exactly that- a Myth.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and mothy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:43 am

Dustofyears wrote:
Raegoul wrote:

Yeah from the little I have heard I can pick up a bit of Helmet influence, but can't really totally pin them down. They might be part of the list.

Have a feeling the old myth that most Christian bands are copy and paste of Secular bands might be exactly that- a Myth.
Not sure about that. There certainly were acts going out there copying bands for evangelistic purposes. However, the funny thing is that some of those bands that went out there with a primarily evangelistic approach, like Vengeance and One Bad Pig (we need to reach the metalgeads/punks, let‘s form a Christian thrash/punk band even if we have no clue what that exactly means) turned out to be unique. Perhaps just because they didn‘t know a whole lot about the genre they were occupying.

On the other hand, I guess it is not unique to the Christian scene that bands influence each other. So having influences should not be sufficient to label a band a clone, only clear usurpation of a style and/or imagery. A blatant example for imagery usurpation is Angelica with the Metallica font. Usurpation of style perhaps X Sinner / AC/DC, Deliverance/Metallica, to name a few where the similarities are immediately apparent even to the layman.

Tbh it never bothered me as I didn‘t/still don’t listen to secular stuff anyway so I don‘t even know for most bands what their secular counterparts sound like.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

BaleMaster and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:40 pm

Virgin Black comes to mind.

Also Epta Astera and Hesychast were both doing the Gregorian / Orthodox chanting mixed with black metal long before Batushka (sp?) ever did.  Epta Astera specifically mixes multiple styles with some non-standard instruments to be quite unique IMO.

Death Therapy does their own thing, though it's quite a departure from what I typically listen to so maybe there's a whole lot of other similar-sounding bands I'm just unaware of.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:23 am

Kerrick wrote:Virgin Black comes to mind.

Also Epta Astera and Hesychast were both doing the Gregorian / Orthodox chanting mixed with black metal long before Batushka (sp?) ever did.  Epta Astera specifically mixes multiple styles with some non-standard instruments to be quite unique IMO.

Death Therapy does their own thing, though it's quite a departure from what I typically listen to so maybe there's a whole lot of other similar-sounding bands I'm just unaware of.
Virgin Black. Yeah, agreed.

The other bands with names I can't pronounce and probably live somewhere buried so deep there is no more ground left to dig, well, I'll just have to take your word for it. Like Drawnsword, when it comes to Christian doom and black metal your river runs deep, Kerrick!

Reckon this thread confirms my suspicions: On the whole there seems to be more christian bands with a unique and original sound (influences are fine for any band so that doesn't count) and a handful of bands that are copy and paste

- Copy and paste bands I can think of off the top of my head and I probably don't need to type thier counterpart band next to them.

Saint
Digheyzoose (Don't care still love them)
X-Sinner
Early Deliverance
Probably (maybe) white cross (Van Halen/ Ratt)

And more besides but the list pales compared to bands with their own sound set aside from any Secular counterparts.

MYTH BUSTED!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:09 pm

Dustofyears wrote:Virgin Black. Yeah, agreed.

They are [were] something special, for sure.

Dustofyears wrote:The other bands with names I can't pronounce and probably live somewhere buried so deep there is no more ground left to dig, well, I'll just have to take your word for it. Like Drawnsword, when it comes to Christian doom and black metal your river runs deep, Kerrick!

Ha!  Well actually in these two cases, they're both from the US.  Well in case you want to try 'em out, here ya go:

Dustofyears wrote:Reckon this thread confirms my suspicions: On the whole there seems to be more christian bands with a unique and original sound (influences are fine for any band so that doesn't count) and a handful of bands that are copy and paste

And more besides but the list pales compared to bands with their own sound set aside from any Secular counterparts.

MYTH BUSTED!

Perhaps, though I'd wager the copy-cats still largely outweigh the trailblazers.  What's I find interesting (and a bit discouraging) is that it seems to be the fans who are the ones pushing for this.  If I had a nickel for every thread and facebook post for "can someone recommend me a Christian alternative to Band X?," I could retire early!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:53 pm

Kerrick wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:Virgin Black. Yeah, agreed.

They are [were] something special, for sure.

Dustofyears wrote:The other bands with names I can't pronounce and probably live somewhere buried so deep there is no more ground left to dig, well, I'll just have to take your word for it. Like Drawnsword, when it comes to Christian doom and black metal your river runs deep, Kerrick!

Ha!  Well actually in these two cases, they're both from the US.  Well in case you want to try 'em out, here ya go:

Dustofyears wrote:Reckon this thread confirms my suspicions: On the whole there seems to be more christian bands with a unique and original sound (influences are fine for any band so that doesn't count) and a handful of bands that are copy and paste

MYTH BUSTED!

Perhaps, though I'd wager the copy-cats still largely outweigh the trailblazers.  What's I find interesting (and a bit discouraging) is that it seems to be the fans who are the ones pushing for this.  If I had a nickel for every thread and facebook post for "can someone recommend me a Christian alternative to Band X?," I could retire early!
That's a very good point and one I had not thought of- it is the christian fans pushing for the secular alternative wanting the exact sound but with christian lyrics. I kinda get it if you're a christian, but it's a shame in way because I am sure Christian bands would get more respect in the secular world if they didn't do it. It comes off as a bit joke and usually, for the most part in my opinion, bar a few bands Like DigHayZoose, the secular original is better; because hey, it's the original.

Thanks for the links I'll check 'em out.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:11 pm

Dustofyears wrote:...it's a shame in way because I am sure Christian bands would get more respect in the secular world if they didn't do it. It comes off as a bit joke and usually, for the most part in my opinion, bar a few bands Like DigHayZoose, the secular original is better; because hey, it's the original.

Thanks for the links I'll check 'em out.

I completely agree!  It's especially tragic when you consider that some of the greatest, most renowned pieces of art ever created (Sistine Chapel, David, etc.) were Christian* and now, at least in the musical realm, the Christians are usually far from being trend-setters.  That being said...  I'd be curious to somehow quantify "original" vs "copycat" bands both in the secular and Christian scenes and see if there is any difference in the ratios.  Due to the relatively much smaller number of Christian metal bands, even the copycats get more notice whereas I'd expect the secular copycats to much more easily get lost in the mix.  Maybe there is even a higher percentage of secular copycats than Christian - it's just that they go largely unnoticed?

*I know, I know... we could argue about what "Christian art" is just like we do ad nauseum for "Christian bands" but y'all get what I mean.   flower

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next