The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rank the Petra Albums, Part the First: Jesus Music and Volz era

+8
StevenCressler
alldatndensum
Black Rider
Frozen Fire
Soldier777
Dustofyears
eatbugs
Pethead
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rank the Petra Albums, Part the First: Jesus Music and Volz era  Empty Rank the Petra Albums, Part the First: Jesus Music and Volz era

Post by Pethead Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:56 am

Since it has been confessed that my ranking threads are the reason many of you get up in the morning, it’s time to start one on my all-time favorite band: PETRA!

We’re gonna start with their self-titled and go through Beat the System. I won’t be counting Captured in Time and Space or either of the Back to the Rock albums. Let’s roll!

1. Not of This World

It’s SUPER close between this one and More Power to Ya. I went with NoTW mainly because I’m not big on All over Me but I love everything on NoTW. This album is fantastic. Prime Volz-era Petra! I can’t choose between the Volz and Schlitt eras, so it goes without saying that this is one of my favorite albums of all time by anybody.

2. More Power to Ya

More prime Volz-era Petra, MPtY is classic for a reason. It’s simply awesome. All over Me plods a bit, but the rest kills. I also quite like the ballads, especially Road to Zion.

3. Beat the System

If BtS had the same production as NoTW and MPtY, it might even beat those. The songwriting is just that good. While I usually skip God Gave Rock and Roll to you (I prefer the version on Come and Join Us), the remaining nine tracks are as good as music gets. The technoish (?) sound is the only thing that keeps this in third.

4. Never Say Die 

This album is essentially a tale of two halves. Other than The Coloring Song, the first half has some of their best rockers (Chameleon RULES). The second half is a little two close to the sound on Washes Whiter Than for me, although For Annie is a great ballad and Praise Ye the Lord is a rocking worship tune. The highs here are VERY high, but it’s a bit more inconsistent.

5. Come and Join Us

While it’s not what I turn to first when I want to hear Petra, this is a good album. There’s some strong rockers on this one and Volz just slays his two songs (God Gave Rock and Roll to You and Woman Don’t You Know).

6. Petra

Very different than what they would become, but there’s some good stuff here. I especially like Walkin’ in the Light. Some of the guitar work is really good.

7. Washes Whiter Than

There are some great songs here, but it’s a bit too much CCM pop for Petra. (I like a lot of CCM pop, but I don’t want that from Petra).

Petra rules. The end.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

bigtreads, BaleMaster and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Rank the Petra Albums, Part the First: Jesus Music and Volz era  Empty Re: Rank the Petra Albums, Part the First: Jesus Music and Volz era

Post by eatbugs Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:48 pm

Pethead wrote:Petra rules. The end.

The end.  Lock thread.

Seriously,

1. Beat the System.  This was my favorite album for a year or two until I discovered the John Schlitt era.  Yes "Computer Brains" and "Witch Hunt" are weird, but I love the rest of the album.
2. Come and Join Us.  Jesus music at its best.  I also prefer this version of "God Gave Rock and Roll to You" although I do like the Beat the System version.
3. Petra.
4. More Power To Ya.  From here down the descending order is based on the ballads.  I'm picky about ballads and while I like a good one I can't stand a bad one.  The ballads increase in frequency and/or decrease in quality from here.
5. Never Say Die.
6. Not of this World.  Until the impending re-release this was the hardest to find for me both in the 90's on cassette and the last few years on CD.  I think I've jinxed several CDs into reissue by overpaying for them.
7. Washes Whiter Than.  I'm not sure what's going on here.  It's a weird attempt to be rock and pop and new wave and whatever all at once.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rank the Petra Albums, Part the First: Jesus Music and Volz era  Empty Re: Rank the Petra Albums, Part the First: Jesus Music and Volz era

Post by Dustofyears Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:01 pm

It is the reason I get up in the morning, a hot cuppa coffee and full of gleaming expectation for another ranking thread from Pethead!  Why is Metallica's Sad but True tune popping up in my head suddenly...

Ah yes, the guitar covers phase before beat the system rebelled against it!  I really dig the Greg X Volz era of Petra.  The John era, having listened to it again- not so much, though back in the day it might have been different.

Going from memory here-

Probably (I say this because this is actually tough, like the Rez ranking) Notw.  It's a trippy, dreamy sort of album, and I hear quite a bit of Pink Floyd sprinkled in there- what, with the half time cut lazy drum feel of the title tune Notw and the album mixed in with those trippy keyboard vibes throughout.  I mean, what about grave robber and those dreamy acoustic guitars.  I also dig the hard rock guitar tones on the heavier tunes, not to mention the awesome cover work!

More power to ya- This album has so much layers  and detail in it, it is really quite amazing if one chooses to analyze the album.  There are folky parts, bluesy parts (all over me could well have been a rez tune you know) classical parts, your hard rock driven tunes (Judas Kiss) and even lullabyish type stuff going on and the melodramatic title tune More Power to YA!  Cool album and another cool cover.

Beat the system-  Love this album. From the cartoony feel good, Ghostbusters like tune 'Witch Hunt,' right down to the final hammer thud of 'It is finished.'  again, amazing album.

Never say die.  This album adorned the cover that drew me into the christian world of music.  This is truly the album where it all started. So therefore it holds to this day great sentimental value.  I went to lunch at the violinist's house after church, and asked if I could look through his record collection, and in all its glorious splendor, there it was with missile aimed straight at me and it truly did blow me away!  The very idea of a guitar aircraft carrier, or sub or whatever it happens to be is stroke of genius.  Then I saw their other covers and just plain tripped me out man.

However, though the music is just as good as the album cover, it's not an album I would listen to as much as the other ones in the present day.  But it is a great, great album, like they all are from this the Volz era.

Greg's voice and the harmonies have a much more pleasing and soothing quality to my ears than the John era.

Did I miss any albums- I feel like I might have missed something- we all good...  anyway, that's my ranking!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:37 am

Petra is one of my favorite bands. Ranking the first 7 albums is hard, but hear goes:

1. More Power to Ya: One of their best albums and you can tell they are firing on all cylinders for this album.
2. Not of this World: Sort of picks up where More Power to Ya left off and uses more of the current keyboard technology. 
3. Come and Join Us: Holy GHost Power is a wierd song because of the vocals but other than that it is a good 70s rock/hard rock albums and can stand up to any album form that era like KISS and Ted Nugent. The production is spotty in places but in may based those flaws is what gives it it's appeal. Petra were struggling during that period and most of the CCM labels weren't backing edgy rocker bands back then like them and Rez and were investing in lighter rock/adult contemporary acts. With more money we wonder how the album would turn out. 
4. Beat the System: I'm not a big fan of new wave music in th eearly 80s, but over all it's a good album. Don't really care for CLean and Witch Hunt but the other songs are good. The best songa are Computer Brains, It is Finished and Adonai.
5. Never Say Die: This album set the formula for their next few albums: 7 or 8 rockers and 2 or 3 ballads/lighter rock songs. The best songs on the album are Coloring Song, Chameleon, Angel of Light, Without Him We Can Do Nothing, I Can Be Friends With You, Father of Lights and Praise Ye the Lord
6. Petra
7. Washes Whiter Than: A mellow album but has some rockers.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:04 pm

Soldier777 wrote:
5. Never Say Die: This album set the formula for their next few albums: 7 or 8 rockers and 2 or 3 ballads/lighter rock songs. The best songs on the album are Coloring Song, Chameleon, Angel of Light, Without Him We Can Do Nothing, I Can Be Friends With You, Father of Lights and Praise

is it... too late for Annie...
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:42 pm

This is my favorite Petra era. I shied away from these for a long time because people said how wimpy they were and I really like Beyond Belief, On Fire, etc. I felt foolish when I picked up Not Of This World and loved it. Greg has an amazing voice and these albums are classics, holding their own, with some of the best material for any band in this style. The secular scene would have loved these albums had they not been filled with fantastic, convicting, bold biblical lyrics.

My List:

More Power To Ya - this album is rock solid beginning to end. Perfect production, tight songwriting, superb performances. Love the dual vocal approach on Disciple with Mark Kelly. Wish they did more of that. The title track and "Rose Colored Stain Glass Windows" are my favorites. I listen to this second most of any Petra.

Never Say Day - One of my favorite Thin Lizzy albums is "Fighting" because it has a laid back more fun atmosphere. Never Say Die just has a mood to it. It's lighter but songs like "Chameleon" and "Angel of Light" are powerhouse tracks. I actually listen to this album more than any other Petra. It can't be the best because "I Can Be Friends With You" stinks and "the Coloring Song" is only worth listening because my kids like it.

Not Of This World - Fantastic beginning to end. For some reason comes across more somber and dark, not sure why. I guess the intro followed by the soft title track make for an odd beginning. "Bema Seat" is amazing, "Grave Robber" a classic, "Pied Piper" and "Occupy" are great too. I just don't listen to this quite as often as the first two above.

Beat The System - Hate "Computer Brains" and "Witch Hunt." Two all time worst tracks on nearly any album. I get it. For their time and within the context of the album they aren't as terrible. Never going to listen to them on purpose though. "It Is Finished" is an all time great track, the title track, "Voice in the Wind" is a stunning performance from Greg and "Adonai" is another classic closer. The Redo of the redo, "God Gave Rock and Roll To You" stinks.

Come And Join Us - some seriously great ideas, great energy with a high level of playing and some terrible decisions mixed in. The Argent cover Of God Gave Rock and Roll To You is solid and should have been left where it was. Definitely a band trying to figure themselves out. I always want to like this more than I do.

Washes Whiter Than - Considering how little I like "The Coloring Song" and "I Can Be Friends With You" on Never Say Die it is no surprise I don't listen to this. I only have the 2 CD combo with this and burned them separate to avoid this. I'll say the songs aren't bad and it's more cohesive than Come And Join Us but it's not my style. Bought the reissue and curious if I'll grow to like it.

Petra - don't own this still. Need to pick it up some day. Had a bad impression of it but listened to a few songs the other day considering this thread and was surprised at what I heard.

On a side note, my kids prefer the Volz era to later Petra. They request these.

Last edited by Frozen Fire on Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:07 pm

My list is exactly like FFs, great minds and all.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Frozen Fire likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:09 am

Just wanted to add that my copy of "Washes Whiter Than" came from Girder today (with Never Say Die & Not of This World). Super appreciative to have this in a full physical form. Neat to give it fresh ears and honestly say it is a solid album. Not really as different from "Never Say Die" as I often think, though it is clearly softer. I like seeing the credits and realizing that most of the softer songs aren't written by Bob Hartman but actually Rob Frazier. That gives perspective to some of the differences between this and their other albums. That said, Taste and See is penned by Bob Hartman is hilariously contemporary for the 70's with its funky base line. One more note, a missing track from the double album, Magic Words is one of the better tracks. That was good to hear.

It would jump over Come And Join Us easily but now makes me wonder and perhaps wait for that and the debut to be rereleased. Definitely not the classic that the others are but still nice to give the fresh ear to it.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:44 am

1. Not of This World
2. Never Say Die
3. Beat The System
4. Come and Join Us

To be honest, I don't really like their debut self-titled album.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:04 am

eatbugs wrote:
Pethead wrote:Petra rules. The end.

The end.  Lock thread.

Seriously,

1. Beat the System.  This was my favorite album for a year or two until I discovered the John Schlitt era.  Yes "Computer Brains" and "Witch Hunt" are weird, but I love the rest of the album.
2. Come and Join Us.  Jesus music at its best.  I also prefer this version of "God Gave Rock and Roll to You" although I do like the Beat the System version.
3. Petra.
4. More Power To Ya.  From here down the descending order is based on the ballads.  I'm picky about ballads and while I like a good one I can't stand a bad one.  The ballads increase in frequency and/or decrease in quality from here.
5. Never Say Die.
6. Not of this World.  Until the impending re-release this was the hardest to find for me both in the 90's on cassette and the last few years on CD.  I think I've jinxed several CDs into reissue by overpaying for them.
7. Washes Whiter Than.  I'm not sure what's going on here.  It's a weird attempt to be rock and pop and new wave and whatever all at once.
Those are two of the best songs on the album...
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:09 am

Just for fun, I'll include their genre listing on Discogs. Just note I prefer the John Schlitt era.
7. Washes Whiter Than (Religious Soft Rock). Almost the whole album is boring ballads.
6. Petra (Religious Southern Rock). There are some good tunes, but overall, it is a boring album. Good lyrics though.
5. Come and Join Us (Religious Southern Rock). Very similar to the s/t, but the songs on it are overall better.
4. Never Say Die (Religious Soft Rock). Inconsistent, but the highs are great. For Annie is one of the best ballads I know.
3. More Power to Ya (Religious Folk Gospel Hard Rock). Several good songs here, they finally started getting more hard rock.
2. Beat the System (Arena Hard Rock). Computer Brains, Witch Hunt, and Hollow Eyes are all good songs. Consistent album.
1. Not of this World (Religious Arena Hard Rock). So many classic Petra songs here. Grave Robber, title track, Not By Sight...
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:00 pm

Just found this by accident.  Someone made this lyric video within the past year:

Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Ammocas likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:08 pm

Lyrically, they hit themes not touched on much in Christian music.  They're awesome in that regard.  I can't take the delivery seriously.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:04 pm

Honesty time:

Petra - This is the only one from this era I like, or can even stand. Out of the remaining albums in this era maybe 8-10 songs could be cobbled together to make an album I'd buy.

I understand that if I was born 10 years earlier and caught them in real-time then maybe I'd be a fan.

Rez Band was doing this thing way better and I love their early catalogue. 

Sorry guys! Petra gets me later on...
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

seth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:04 am

1. Not of This World
2. More Power to Ya
3. Beat the System
4. Petra
5. Never Say Die
6. Come and Join Us
7. Washes Whiter Than
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:41 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:Honesty time:

Petra - This is the only one from this era I like, or can even stand. Out of the remaining albums in this era maybe 8-10 songs could be cobbled together to make an album I'd buy.

I understand that if I was born 10 years earlier and caught them in real-time then maybe I'd be a fan.

Adding you to my church's prayer list...
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:06 am

Adding you to my church's prayer list...

😆😆

I do like some of the stuff after that era. 🤷‍�
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:09 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:Honesty time:

Correct, Rez >>> Petra
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

scottmitchell74 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:24 am

They’re very different bands. Rez is bluesy hard rock verging on metal. Petra is AOR with some hard rock. WhiteHeart, Idle Cure, and D&K would be closer to Petra. 

Petra was nowhere near as heavy as Rez until late 80s, and I’d still argue that Rez was heavier at that time. (Silence Screams is a HEAVY album).

We might as well compare Theocracy to Petra. Petra>Theocracy.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:30 am

umno
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:31 am

Pethead wrote:They’re very different bands. Rez is bluesy hard rock verging on metal. Petra is AOR with some hard rock. WhiteHeart, Idle Cure, and D&K would be closer to Petra. 

Petra was nowhere near as heavy as Rez until late 80s, and I’d still argue that Rez was heavier at that time. (Silence Screams is a HEAVY album).

Theocracy is easily better imo. Heavier and more melodic. Both have great lyrics, but... which one wrote Mirror of Souls?
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

seth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:37 am

Vengeance Rising.

Wait, what are we talking about?
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:46 am

StevenCressler wrote:
Pethead wrote:They’re very different bands. Rez is bluesy hard rock verging on metal. Petra is AOR with some hard rock. WhiteHeart, Idle Cure, and D&K would be closer to Petra. 

Theocracy is easily better imo. Heavier and more melodic. Both have great lyrics, but... which one wrote Mirror of Souls?
But…

Which one wrote The Gift of Music?
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:36 pm

Pethead wrote:
StevenCressler wrote:

But…

Which one wrote The Gift of Music?
Which wrote "I Can Be Friends With You?"
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:49 pm

Still better than TGoM.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next