The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommendations for Shaving Razors?

+4
TZ75
crucifyd
BaleMaster
Constantine
8 posters

Go down

Recommendations for Shaving Razors? Empty Recommendations for Shaving Razors?

Post by Constantine Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:22 pm

Been using disposable razors from Schick for many years.  Basically a double-blade model.

Well, they no longer make this model anymore.  They replaced it with an inferior product that doesn't work for me.

I am not sure what to replace it with as I would like to move away from disposables and toward a metal-body razor.

Preferably one that is not too heavy and not weirdly-shaped as some are.

What's good out there?   I looked over the Amazon picks today and found one or two of interest, but some were ridiculously expensive and over-hyped.  

I just want:

1) a hand-held, straight body razor that is 
2) not too heavy and 
3) that is easy to clean and 
4) easy to change blades.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Recommendations for Shaving Razors? Empty Re: Recommendations for Shaving Razors?

Post by BaleMaster Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:41 pm

Switched to a triple Gilette disposable myself. Years sgo, I had to have minor facial surgery to remove an infected blackhead. He recommended disposables over reusables.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Recommendations for Shaving Razors? Empty Re: Recommendations for Shaving Razors?

Post by Constantine Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:53 pm

BaleMaster wrote:He recommended disposables over reusables.
Hmm, that's interesting, I had not heard that before.  I suppose it makes sense actually.

Somewhat related but I stay far away from cheap detergent now, and any laundry product with artificial fragrances like fabric softener.

Got a bad case of contact dermatitis once with painful rashes all over the trunk of my body.  
The Dermatologist said it was caused by the cheap detergent I was using.  It lasted about 2 weeks   Crying or Very sad
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:22 pm

haven't shaved for years but when I did safety razor was the way to go for me, just like your grandpa probably used to use...there are tons of videos etc for tips etc...

the blades are super cheap and they don't get clogged up the way the fancy 8 blade razors do  ; )
...steel in the hand feels good too.

Recommendations for Shaving Razors? 2Q==
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:31 pm

Yeah I have looked at a few "safety razors."   Wasn't completely sure what that meant, but it seemed up my alley from the descriptions.  Will probably go with one of those, I just don't want it to be heavy and feel unbalanced.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:04 pm

I use these two products. 

Phillips Norelco wet/dry shaver and Harry’s razors. 

Recommendations for Shaving Razors? 56dbf610
Recommendations for Shaving Razors? Dcdf0d10
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:21 pm

My dad and bro belong to Harry's.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:43 pm

Constantine wrote:Yeah I have looked at a few "safety razors."   Wasn't completely sure what that meant, but it seemed up my alley from the descriptions.  Will probably go with one of those, I just don't want it to be heavy and feel unbalanced.

they are heavy-ish but it feels good in the hand...
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:33 pm

I use a Norelco rechargeable much like what TZ75 posted. I never use a regular razor anymore. I would rather use my electric everyday than to have to use a regular razor. Most shaving creams and gels will cause my face to have welts, so I had to use standard razors with just wetting my face with water. I don't enjoy the feeling. But, I have grown so attached to my Norelco that I don't ever want to go back to shaving the old fashioned way.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 5minutes Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:45 am

I rarely post here, so when I do, it's an important topic.

I have a group of friends that had a years-long (as in multiple years) set of experiments for shaving, and what we determined was this: 

Granddad knew what he was doing.

I see you've already mentioned safety razors, and...  well, that's the way to go.  It's a learning process that involves nicking yourself repeatedly as you learn the correct angle to hold the danged thing at, but the end result will be a smoother shave, healthier skin, and more money in your pocket.  

You will, however, need a few things.

1.  The safety razor.  This is probably the least important part of the whole thing.  Go cheap on this one.  I got one that featured the guy from Pawn Stars from Walmart.  Go with whatever is comfortable for you.

2.  The razor blade.  This is VERY important.  I recommend Wilkinson blades.  They're good and sturdy and will last a while.  Best of all, they're cheap.  I bought 100 blades for $17 3 years ago and haven't gone through half of them yet.    

3.  A good shave cream.  VERY important.  Don't cheap out on this.  There's lots of things out there, but the basic gist is you want something that is good on your skin.  What works best for me is C. O. Bigelow's shave cream (usually acquired by me at Bath and Body Works, but also available here for $5 a tube: https://www.amazon.com/C-Bigelow-Premium-Shaving/dp/B003D2NMH0?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1).  And if you're using a good cream, then you're gonna need...

4.  A shave brush.  There's a lot of debate over this one, but I got a cheap set from Walgreens that had a small bowl with it.  Put a dollop of cream in there and wet your brush a bit and mix it up.  You may even be able to discover you've got leftover cream that can dry out over the next day or two, and then get revived with a wet brush, again, saving you money.  

5.  Aftershave.  You're gonna want something to soothe your skin afterwards.  You should be using this anyway.  Ironically, I've found the best stuff that works for me is the cheap stuff.  I've been using the Gillette aftershave gel for a while.  Good stuff.  I've also used the cheap green stuff that costs $2 a bottle.  It burns a bit and smells like gasoline, but it works.  

Good luck.  Back to my regularly-scheduled lurking.
5minutes
5minutes
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Staybrite and crucifyd like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:36 am

what 5minutes said...
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:07 pm

I gave up on razors and now just have permanent stubble using a beard trimmer on low setting. My skin has never been so happy. 

If I ever have to shave I use a six blade razor similar to this one and find it very easy and light to use

https://www.amazon.com/PREMIUM-RAZORS-Handle-6-Blade-SWIPE/dp/B01EBB92ZC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:14 pm

alldatndensum wrote:I use a Norelco rechargeable much like what TZ75 posted.  I never use a regular razor anymore.  I would rather use my electric everyday than to have to use a regular razor.  Most shaving creams and gels will cause my face to have welts, so I had to use standard razors with just wetting my face with water.  I don't enjoy the feeling.  But, I have grown so attached to my Norelco that I don't ever want to go back to shaving the old fashioned way.

I mostly use the regular razor for “touch ups” like shaping a goatee and sideburns. The electric Norelco is my main thing for a smooth shave (and a lot less cuts and blood).
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:40 am

I was clean shaven nearly one year ago. At the beginning of the COVID lockdown I chose not to shave. Here is a picture of my one year beard (The Yeard).
Now I'm back to my smooth baby face thanks to my trusty old Braun electric shaver. No fuss, no muss, I can shave in the car, I can shave in the bar. I can shave anywhere, anytime. Recommendations for Shaving Razors? Ojujh6e
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Staybrite and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by L8T Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:45 pm

I recommend you check out Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com)  and enjoy the rabbit hole  Twisted Evil
L8T
L8T
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:02 am

TZ75 wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:I use a Norelco rechargeable much like what TZ75 posted.  I never use a regular razor anymore.  I would rather use my electric everyday than to have to use a regular razor.  Most shaving creams and gels will cause my face to have welts, so I had to use standard razors with just wetting my face with water.  I don't enjoy the feeling.  But, I have grown so attached to my Norelco that I don't ever want to go back to shaving the old fashioned way.

I mostly use the regular razor for “touch ups” like shaping a goatee and sideburns. The electric Norelco is my main thing for a smooth shave (and a lot less cuts and blood).

My Norelco has a thingie on the back made for touching up sideburns and my goatee, so I use that.  I checked my regular razor that hasn't been used in two years and the blades are literally rusting.  I am throwing it away.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down