The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BLACKBALL band (ex-Precious Death)

4 posters

Go down

BLACKBALL band (ex-Precious Death) Empty BLACKBALL band (ex-Precious Death)

Post by Constantine Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:12 pm

Anyone familiar with the 2 Blackball CD's "Super Heavy Dreamscape" and "Hope"?

Blackball was a side-project of Precious Death singer Christopher Scott and guitarist Tim Bishop.
The music was more hard alternative, not really faith-based.  

If you have them / heard them, what did you think of them?    I just spot-checked them on You Tube.
The 2nd album "Hope" was more interesting to me, in that it was more diverse and more in the vein of Faith No More than the straight grunge rock of the debut.  It also made good use of keyboards, horns, etc. and was more melodic and tuneful in general.

BLACKBALL band (ex-Precious Death) Superheavydreamscape

BLACKBALL band (ex-Precious Death) Blackballhope
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

BLACKBALL band (ex-Precious Death) Empty Re: BLACKBALL band (ex-Precious Death)

Post by TZ75 Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:26 pm

When I heard them back in the day I wasn’t impressed. Maybe I should revisit them and see if my opinion has changed. 

From what I remember, they emphasized on generic alternative music and discarded the heavy elements.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:24 am

They had faith elements in the songs, but they were trying to be just like most of the other alternative bands in the Christian market at the time and say almost nothing in order to get into secular venues.  It didn't work.

You have to respect these guys, though, for the name change.  With the third Precious Death album, you can hear them changing in style already.  When they went full on alternative rock, the fans would probably not have stuck around and a name change was necessary to show the new direction.  Whitecross and Holy Soldier should probably have done the same when they tried going alternative as well.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Black Rider and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by heck Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:06 am

I enjoyed the first Blackball release.  Quirky...a little repetitive.  Singer songwriter Chris had a hard time with lyrics ...Precious Death had the same flaw.   Catchy tunes though.   I actually would put this thread in the Christian forum, this was definitely in that vein when you read between the often repeated lines.

heck
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down