The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Mastedon Better than Petra?

+11
Soldier777
Ammocas
BaleMaster
Follower of Jesus
Frozen Fire
alldatndensum
bodachi
deathisgain
eatbugs
Staybrite
Black Rider
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is Mastedon Better than Petra? Empty Is Mastedon Better than Petra?

Post by Guest Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:33 pm

Is Mastedon Better than Petra?
Yes, no? Why?

Back to top Go down

Is Mastedon Better than Petra? Empty Re: Is Mastedon Better than Petra?

Post by Black Rider Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:25 pm

I like Petra a lot but that first Mastedon album is so killer. I don't compare them, they seem too different.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

oldschooldoom likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:30 pm

Oh man, though call.
I like Mastedon's sound a little more than Petra's.  But Petra has such a massive catalog....I'm kind of with Black Rider here.  I couldn't pick.

Now if you pitted White Heart against Petra that might be a better comparison.  Both had a very radio friendly kind of sound, and both had an extensive catalog.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:56 pm

2-3 albums vs. 20 albums?  Can't compare.

Also, which individual albums?  Mastedon - It's a Jungle Out There vs. Petra - Washes Whiter Than?  Mastedon easily. Petra - Beyond Belief vs. anything by anyone ever?  99.9% I'll take Petra.  Beyond Belief is one of my all time favorite albums and Petra is one of my all time favorite bands.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:29 pm

eatbugs wrote:Mastedon - It's a Jungle Out There vs. Petra - Washes Whiter Than?  

affraid

Actually, that reminds me that I need to pick up Petra's "Come and Join Us" again

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:25 am

Bought4Life wrote:
eatbugs wrote:Mastedon - It's a Jungle Out There vs. Petra - Washes Whiter Than?  

affraid

Actually, that reminds me that I need to pick up Petra's "Come and Join Us" again

Come and Join Us is a Jesus Music classic.  Pick it up!  Washes Whiter Than is...I don't know.  Possibly my least favorite in Petra's entire catalog.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:00 pm

I don't see the competition. Just the amount of hits that Petra had alone. Or the amount of solidly written songs. I will say that I never cared for Mastedon. Tried listening to them a few times, but lose interest. I also don't like the Elefante sound.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:48 pm

I understand this is not a obvious question, mainly because Petra has a 33 years career. 

but we all know that the elefante brothers produced Petra on it's better days, and I actually just discovered Mastedon. And I have had the feeling that they looked like Petra on it's greatest form.

And even better, as Mastedon has some riffs that approach to a heavy metal feeling.

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:53 pm

Weird not liking the Elefante sound, they produced some of the Petra albums.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by bodachi Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:39 pm

I don't know about Mastedon, but Stryper is much better than Petra
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:58 am

It would be all a matter of tastes and mood, really.  I like both Petra and Mastedon.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

bigtreads likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:40 pm

Honestly never heard Mastedon until this thread. I'd seen them mentioned frequently and saw the front cover for the debit, that is it.

Listened to a few tracks (which sounded good) but also saw there were multiple vocalists. I've never been into that. Not sure if I'd hunt these down.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:27 am

Mastedon's two albums from back in the day are must-haves. They are pristine examples of that AOR-tinged hard rock that the Elephante brothers were so well known for. I love both albums.

Petra is an all-time classic band with so much great music in its catalog that it would be hard for anyone to compare with them (save for Whiteheart, which is a debate for another day).
I choose to enjoy them both for what they were. Put a gun to my head, and I'm choosing Petra. But really, I love Mastedon too.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

bigtreads likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:46 am

Art is in the ear of the beholder...I have been incessantly cranking Mastedon lately. Petra, not so much.

That being said, Petra possesses an awesome ouvre of music, and deserves all the accolades they receive.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:12 pm

Frozen Fire wrote:Honestly never heard Mastedon until this thread. I'd seen them mentioned frequently and saw the front cover for the debit, that is it.

Listened to a few tracks (which sounded good) but also saw there were multiple vocalists. I've never been into that. Not sure if I'd hunt these down.

Hunting them down isn't too hard right now as they both were recently reissued.  However, stock on the reissues is getting slim.

The multiple vocalist thing was a detractor, but it still has a cohesive feel as the songwriters were the same people.  There was a third project.  It was a John Elefante solo project and sold that way here and as Mastedon 3 in Europe.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:39 pm

Black Rider wrote:Weird not liking the Elefante sound, they produced some of the Petra albums.

There was a certain era where all the backing vocals were way over done and the drums had way too much reverb on them. Everything they touched at that time sounded like it was the same. Later they got better. Like Guardian's "Miracle Mile" is great album. Some of Petra's music suffered it as well. the saving grace is, they had better music in my opinion.
deathisgain
deathisgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:15 pm

Nope...not better just different. You can’t compare the two...early Petra paved the way for Christian Rock and the middle albums were some of the best and held their own. Mastedon was a different beast altogether...I really like “Jungle and Lofcaudio” and I haven’t heard “3” ...the only similarities are that The Elefante brothers were involved.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:51 pm

deathisgain wrote:
Black Rider wrote:Weird not liking the Elefante sound, they produced some of the Petra albums.

There was a certain era where all the backing vocals were way over done and the drums had way too much reverb on them. Everything they touched at that time sounded like it was the same. Later they got better. Like Guardian's "Miracle Mile" is great album. Some of Petra's music suffered it as well. the saving grace is, they had better music in my opinion.
When you work in music industry, mainly in production, you've got to know what the band's goal is. 
If lots of Backing vocals and reverb in the drums was a thing at the time, then you can't blame the producers...

this formula worked out so well for Petra, so the discussion here is more about preferences.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:54 pm

Ammocas wrote:Nope...not better just different. You can’t compare the two...early Petra paved the way for Christian Rock and the middle albums were some of the best and held their own. Mastedon was a different beast altogether...I really like “Jungle and Lofcaudio” and I haven’t heard “3” ...the only similarities are that The Elefante brothers were involved.
I can see some similarities in sound...

I wouldn't know how to compare Petra with Whiteheart, as their only similarity is the extensive catalog...(there was some calls about it some posts above)...

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:31 pm

Thiago-Brazil wrote:
deathisgain wrote:

When you work in music industry, mainly in production, you've got to know what the band's goal is. 
If lots of Backing vocals and reverb in the drums was a thing at the time, then you can't blame the producers...

this formula worked out so well for Petra, so the discussion here is more about preferences.

It was popular across the board with all bands. That being said, The Elefante's sound was too formulaic around that time. I've run into other people that feel the same way.
deathisgain
deathisgain

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:32 pm

deathisgain wrote:
Thiago-Brazil wrote:
deathisgain wrote:

It was popular across the board with all bands. That being said, The Elefante's sound was too formulaic around that time. I've run into other people that feel the same way.

Ok, I agree.  Listen to Guardian - Fire and Love, Fear Not - Fear Not, The Brave - Battle Cries, and a few others, and they all have the same sound.  Where I disagree with deathisgain is that I love it!  Guardian - Fire and Love is one of my top three favorite albums.  Incidentally, Petra - Beyond Belief (also an Elefante production) is also a top three of mine and other than the big commercial production, it isn't a mimic of those other ones I mentioned.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:17 am

I agree with eatbugs. Many of the Elephante brothers produced albums sounded alike, but I love that sound! I miss the big reverb drums! I miss the massive BGV sound!
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:05 am

The Elefante Brothers produced tons of albums that did not sound alike in other genres. In the 80's/90's hard rock arena, there was a similar sound already with most bands...period....no matter who produced it. 

Some other Elefante highlights ..

Dino Elefante produced Barren Cross' Believe EP and Rock For The King (not sure if John was in on those two), but both produced Atomic Arena and State of Control.

X-Sinner Get It and Peace Treaty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:55 pm

Bought4Life wrote:The Elefante Brothers produced tons of albums that did not sound alike in other genres. In the 80's/90's hard rock arena, there was a similar sound already with most bands...period....no matter who produced it. 

Some other Elefante highlights ..

Dino Elefante produced Barren Cross' Believe EP and Rock For The King (not sure if John was in on those two), but both produced Atomic Arena and State of Control.

X-Sinner Get It and Peace Treaty
Exactly...That's why I say, it was a trend at the time.

And if we think about, why would you hire any kind of specific professional? to do some specific work this profesional is known for...

We do this all the time as listeners as well. When you take a spin on your Stryper CD, it means you want to hear Michael Sweet's voice...

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:01 pm

^^ I love X-Sinner Get it & Peace Treaty...I would like to see these both remastered and given the royal treatment with updated artwork and readable lyrics like they are doing now....although the originals do sound decent, being produced by the Elefante’s...but still could use a little beefiness.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next