The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random thoughts...

+46
nocturnaliridescence
TopJosh (Josh L.)
Fundy
Krich
scottmitchell74
L8T
Sevenoneself
ChosenNightwolf
Pethead
Son of Nun
Sophia Valentine
Theonymic
Keva
Constantine
Triptyque
Raegoul
Frozen Fire
Dustofyears
TZ75
MagnusPrime
Superjuice
Hidgxx
WildWorld
BaleMaster
Staybrite
Kerrick
Grindboy
CrimsonWarrior
Guenther321
oldschooldoom
Athanasius
Black Rider
New Creation
Rockrz
Snert I
Ammocas
Athonite
Markus1987
Livna
crucifyd
Andreas89
ThomasEversole
alldatndensum
Driven
HenrikB
MikeInFla
50 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Random thoughts... - Page 2 Empty Re: Random thoughts...

Post by Kerrick Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:46 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:I've used H&R Block for taxes for quite a few years....  but I stopped doing them online after all the medical expenses to report.  Too much room for error just to do it ourselves (my wife and I file jointly) so....  its a lot faster and easier to just go into the office, answer the questions they ask, bada bing, bada boom, taxes done.

:B

Nice.  It ended up being a fair bit of a hassle because their software was a little wacky when it came to filing for two states which confused the gal helping me.  We got it sorted, but only after an hour-and-a-half or so phone call.  I thought we were going to owe but as it turns out we're getting a nice little return.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:55 am

The job is really hectic. Because of the whole soap opera of the one lawyer leaving and the question who will continue with his files (spoiler alert: it's gonna be us), and the fact that the secretariat is severely understaffed (burn out, resignation), we have half the people on double the work. Takes a lot of disicpline not feeling too responsible for the situation, and going home at a normal time every day. It's beginning to work though.

Sometimes in order to survive, you have to care less Razz
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:37 pm

Kerrick wrote:I thought we were going to owe but as it turns out we're getting a nice little return.

Very good! Same here for a return.

My dad seems to be of the opinion that getting a return is a bad thing. That means too many taxes were paid, and the IRS has to reimburse. His point, if there was no refund, then more money would be in our pockets throughout the year.

Myself, I don't really see much of a difference between having to pay, breaking even and getting a big refund.
The total owed would be the same in each scenario.... and a refund from a psychological standpoint pings me as a "reward". XD
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:02 pm

...and the gubment uses your money instead of you using your money...

ThomasEversole wrote:My dad seems to be of the opinion that getting a return is a bad thing.  That means too many taxes were paid, and the IRS has to reimburse.  His point, if there was no refund, then more money would be in our pockets throughout the year.
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:16 am

^If it's a small amount, it's really no big deal.  But yeah, if you get a fat tax return, then it means you could've invested that money and made more money with it, but instead the government got to do that.  It does feel like getting a bonus every year though so I still enjoy getting a return haha.  I suppose ideally you'd break even.

Right now we're in Slovakia visiting my in-laws and are having a very nice time.  We got to introduce our daughter to my wife's dad (her mom flew out when Gloria was born), sister and brother-in-law and their son, and my wife's grandmother.  It's been a special time.  We've also gotten to enjoy the mountains some, going downtown, and just relaxing.  We're all going to go to the zoo in a little bit.  Smile

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:12 am

This is a super busy weekend for me.  I went to the annual Good Friday Chris Tomlin show in Nashville last night.  Today, I am preparing two sermons (one for the sunrise service and one for the regular service).  I also have to practice songs as I plan to lead worship for the sunrise service with my guitar.  Tomorrow, of course, will be both of those services.  I also need to go shopping for costumes for a murder mystery dinner theater I am doing next weekend PLUS find time to go over my lines.

With all this, my allergies have kicked into full gear and I sound like a Muppet.  I need prayer.  I probably need a steroid shot.  I might even need an antibiotic as I feel like I am starting to get a sinus infection.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:31 am

alldatndensum wrote:
With all this, my allergies have kicked into full gear and I sound like a Muppet.  I need prayer.  I probably need a steroid shot.  I might even need an antibiotic as I feel like I am starting to get a sinus infection.

Allergies have kicked in for me too, "full gear" for my wife. We've both had sinus pressure too.

I really don't like to refer to "medicine" unless I have to... but my wife finds essential oils useful for relief.
I'm not entirely sure if its placebo or if there's actually something to these "snake oils" (not really from snakes LOL) but when I told her my allergy woes, she drew a "warpaint" design on my face with a rather fragrant oil, and allergies are no longer a concern.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Driven Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:06 pm

I don't know where I stand on essential oils as a legitimate solution for different ailments. Part of me is wary, part of me is curious.
Driven
Driven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://danielbandfan.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:44 pm

Driven wrote:I don't know where I stand on essential oils as a legitimate solution for different ailments. Part of me is wary, part of me is curious.

The only thing to be wary of my friend, is being stinky and oily from them.   Laughing
My wife has a lot of different types of oils, and she's researched what oils for what ailments and where to put them for maximum effect.

Again, I'm not sure if they actually work, or if its placebo kicking in (which there's also "I feel better" evidence regarding that) - but either way, I rarely ask for them, but if I feel crummy and she offers oils, I accept!

The only one I'll go out of my way to use is Peppermint Oil for a bad headache or migraine.  
My wife has that one in a rolly-ball thing and well, right on the temples seems to take the pain intensity down a few notches.

...pretty fast too.

My mom and wife have a "peppermint rolly" in their purses always, just in case someone has a rogue headache show up. tongue
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:28 am

ThomasEversole wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:

Allergies have kicked in for me too, "full gear" for my wife.  We've both had sinus pressure too.

I really don't like to refer to "medicine" unless I have to...  but my wife finds essential oils useful for relief.
I'm not entirely sure if its placebo or if there's actually something to these "snake oils" (not really from snakes LOL) but when I told her my allergy woes, she drew a "warpaint" design on my face with a rather fragrant oil, and allergies are no longer a concern.

Oils are not going to work for me.  I am severely allergic.  When I tested the last time, I am literally allergic to EVERYTHING they test for here in TN.  All the trees, grasses, molds, and several different animals' dander.  To get the picture, I have had to take shots since 1990--29 years!!!  I still have symptoms even after all this.  Most people take shots for 3-5 years and are good to go.

Besides, most of these oils contain some form of honeysuckle extract.  It helps to hold the scents in.  Candles and most perfumes also have this.  I am allergic to honeysuckle as well.  So, putting these oils on me, in my experiences, just amplify symptoms.

I love to mess with people who sell Essential Oils.  Just ask them this, "If they are so essential, then why haven't I died so far from not using them?  How did mankind make it so long if they were so essential?"

lol! lol! lol!
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:59 am

alldatndensum wrote:
Oils are not going to work for me.  I am severely allergic.  When I tested the last time, I am literally allergic to EVERYTHING they test for here in TN.  All the trees, grasses, molds, and several different animals' dander.  To get the picture, I have had to take shots since 1990--29 years!!!  I still have symptoms even after all this.  Most people take shots for 3-5 years and are good to go.

Besides, most of these oils contain some form of honeysuckle extract.  It helps to hold the scents in.  Candles and most perfumes also have this.  I am allergic to honeysuckle as well.  So, putting these oils on me, in my experiences, just amplify symptoms.

I love to mess with people who sell Essential Oils.  Just ask them this, "If they are so essential, then why haven't I died so far from not using them?  How did mankind make it so long if they were so essential?"

lol! lol! lol!

HAHA!!!  Yes, "essential" is a rather bold word - yes, I believe someone could live quite healthy without these oils.  XD

Sorry about the allergies bro.  My brother is highly allergic to a lot of things too - one of the things he's MOST allergic to is soy beans, and since he works directly with them as a farmer, he has to take several precautions to not have reactions.  (he's not out in the field wearing a biosuit or anything like that  Laughing but he does wear a mask, goggles, full sleeves and gloves if he's going to be around the dust)

Not all "essential" oils are equal though.  The stuff my wife gets is "Certified Pure, Therapeutic Grade®" which means no fillers (like honeysuckle), no synthetic ingredients, and of course, no contaminants.  I tried reading about it, but even after taking chemistry in college, the testing they do is way over my head.

I've tried some obscure peppermint oil before (stuff my mom has picked up)...  yes, its peppermint-ish for sure.  No biggie.  
This Peppermint oil my wife gets (doTERRA), is like getting dragged face first through a peppermint forest.  Like a few drops in a big glass of water is almost too pepperminty to drink.  XD

She's cooked with oils before.  There's some incredible flavors to be had.  She's made an "orange chicken" and a "lime chicken" before with just a drop of oil for that flavor.  Quite tasty!
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:23 am

^Be careful with the peppermint oil...  I've heard direct contact with skin isn't good though that should be confirmed haha.  I went to a doTERRA group meeting (i.e. sales-pitch) with a friend and they makes some pretty big claims and my friend swears essential oils saved her life.  I remain very skeptical and don't like the pyramid-scheme structure of it all, but haven't researched it enough to make any claims myself.  I have heard that different oils require different uses (such as not putting on skin, etc.) but it seems that's not very well known.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:47 pm

I hear you bro.  One of my wife's Facebook friends basically left her battle with cancer up to essential oils to fight.  At a bare minimum, I think that's extremely reckless and my wife shares that sentiment.

No way I would put my life in the hands of cold-pressed natural oils, no matter their claims of awesomeness, instead of medical professionals for treatment.  Call me a doubting Thomas *rimshot* but I don't see these as "lifesaving" at all....  more like relief from minor pain and discomfort at best, and I'm still on the fence if that's even the oils doing that.  (might be a placebo effect)

I've had all sorts of oils on my hands, face, stomach, feet - for years - and never had any sort of skin reaction or adverse affect, but if someone had an allergy to the oil, or sensitive skin, I could definitely see that happening.

Kerrick wrote:I have heard that different oils require different uses (such as not putting on skin, etc.) but it seems that's not very well known.

My wife has a "digestion blend" - proprietary mix of anise, peppermint, ginger, caraway, coriander, tarragon and fennel seed oils - that is taken orally. While it has been consistent with helping basic belly-aching, I'm going to sound like a gosh darn weirdo and say that I found any herbal/minty burps to be surprisingly delightful.  

lol! lol! lol!
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:40 pm

My wife has a "digestion blend" - proprietary mix of anise, peppermint, ginger, caraway, coriander, tarragon and fennel seed oils - that is taken orally. While it has been consistent with helping basic belly-aching, I'm going to sound like a gosh darn weirdo and say that I found any herbal/minty burps to be surprisingly delightful. 

Ok, that didn't get weird at all.....   affraid affraid affraid
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:25 am

I found a nice article about essential oils that goes over some of the risks, benefits, and how to use oils properly.  Some have risks to pregnancy, some to skin, etc.
https://wellnessmama.com/26519/essential-oils-risks/

My wife reads this lady's blog I think and at least upon a first glance, it seems pretty well balanced and articulated.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed May 01, 2019 10:52 am

After 28 hours of traveling (with an eight-month-old), we are very happy to be back home!  We had a great time in Slovakia visiting my in-laws but it's really nice to be home.  But now it's time to get back to work...

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Tue May 07, 2019 4:09 am

Ah, living far from the in-laws... Really works wonders for the relationship with them lol!
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon May 13, 2019 10:08 am

Ha!  I won't disagree, though having my parents nearby is really great - especially as our kiddo gets a little older and can be babysat for longer periods of time.  Smile

My wife and I FINALLY updated our phones.  We were both rocking Samsung Galaxy S3's (for those unaware, they're currently on the S10 so ours are quite old and outdated...).  We got open-box S8's which so far seem pretty dang nice.   Cool

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Livna Fri May 17, 2019 12:04 pm

Random question:

Did Vinnie Vincent save Kiss?
Livna
Livna
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri May 17, 2019 6:26 pm

Livna wrote:Random question:

Seeing he wasn't in the band long, I doubt it.  Why do you ask?
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Livna Mon May 20, 2019 9:30 am

alldatndensum wrote:
Livna wrote:Random question:

Seeing he wasn't in the band long, I doubt it.  Why do you ask?
I listen to a Kiss podcast called Three Sides Of The Coin and they always ask their guests that question. Now there seems to be a Vinnie Vincent resurgence going on in The Kiss Community. What’s my thoughts? Maybe he did. He was a very important part of Kiss’s rebranding that took place between Creatures Of The Night and Lick It Up. However the flip side of the coin ( pun intended) is they seemed to do just fine in the 80’s with Bruce Kullick on lead guitar.
Livna
Livna
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Mon May 20, 2019 3:04 pm

Not much of a VV resurgence, he just cancelled his show AGAIN for the third time (this time the Nashville show). Rumor on blabbermouth (or wherever it was) says he sold only 6 tickets. There is a video on YouTube of someone claiming he can't play anymore but it is profanity laced so I didn't post it. He said he knows someone who went to the rehearsals. He also claimed Vinnie sold 6 to 8 tickets for the event. 

But I can see where he might have saved Kiss. He wrote some excellent songs for Lick It Up and that album was a big comeback for them. He wrote and played on Creatures and while it was a great album most of the fanbase had moved on. It was wise of them to come up with a new gimmick and dump the make-up for a while. I actually like those 80's albums better than the earlier ones. I could see Kiss doing fine without Vinnie. Let's say Ace was with them for Lick It Up. Would've been cool but I don't think the songs would've been as good.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Livna Mon May 20, 2019 4:16 pm

Yeah I just saw that he canceled a gig he was supposed to play. I feel bad for those folks who bought tickets but can’t say I’m surprised
Livna
Livna
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:47 am

Got overworked again, sick at home at the moment. On the plus side, my parents in law are coming over here bringing my new laptop (I don't want the horrible German keyboard, so I ordered in in the Netherlands). So more online time for me at night!
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:04 pm

I'm happy to be getting some of the strength back that I had before cancer. Smile

Random thoughts... - Page 2 315
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next