The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Early 90's cds by 80's hair metal bands (Winger's Pull, Cinderella's Still Climbing, Poison's Native Tongue, etc)

+8
gunz1977
Soldier777
Follower of Jesus
WildWorld
Ammocas
MikeInFla
Black Rider
Staybrite
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Early 90's cds by 80's hair metal bands (Winger's Pull, Cinderella's Still Climbing, Poison's Native Tongue, etc) - Page 2 Empty Re: Early 90's cds by 80's hair metal bands (Winger's Pull, Cinderella's Still Climbing, Poison's Native Tongue, etc)

Post by WildWorld Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:07 pm

Sorry to hear you didnt like Native Tongue, I found it to be a solid album with lots of catchy tunes and excellent songwriting. It took some getting used to the bluesy style but Kotzen fit the band well (if he hadnt had an affair with Rikki's fiance there's a chance he could have stayed in the band).

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Early 90's cds by 80's hair metal bands (Winger's Pull, Cinderella's Still Climbing, Poison's Native Tongue, etc) - Page 2 Empty Re: Early 90's cds by 80's hair metal bands (Winger's Pull, Cinderella's Still Climbing, Poison's Native Tongue, etc)

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:15 pm

Black Rider wrote:That's right, you have some kind of brain damage that prevents you from liking Tesla.  Very Happy

I just saw this comment.... Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:53 pm

afro
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:07 am

Finally listened to Tora Tora "Wild America" and Badlands "Voodoo Highway" today. Both are incredible albums.

"Voodoo Highway" also has a great cover.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:17 am

I find many 80s arena hard rock and metal bands released great albums in the early 90s and it is on par or better than their music released in the 80s:

Cinderella: Still Climbing
Def Leppard: Adrenalize and Retroactive
Motley Crue: Motley Crue
Metallica: Black album

to name a few and of course Dream Theater and Impellitteri grew their fan bast throughout the 90s and released some great albums.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:59 am

That Tora Tora album smokes. You ever listen to Junkyard? Have that bluesy sound going on.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:12 am

Black Rider wrote:That Tora Tora album smokes. You ever listen to Junkyard? Have that bluesy sound going on.

Used to have the first Junkyard album with "Hollywood" on it. Never heard anything else by them. Was their follow-up good?

I know back in the day, I liked the first Bullet Boys album, but the second (Freakshow, I think?) was horrible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:24 am

I enjoy the follow up. It's called, Sixes, Sevens and Nines.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:28 am

Black Rider wrote:I enjoy the follow up. It's called, Sixes, Sevens and Nines.

I'll have to check that out, thanks.

It's been a looooong time since i heard them, but didn't the lead singer's voice sound a little like Vince Neil?

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:50 am

Now that you mention it, I can hear that.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:06 pm

Black Rider wrote:Now that you mention it, I can hear that.

Speaking of Vince Neil, his 1992/1993 solo album, Exposed, fits into this conversation.

I heard a couple of songs from it back when it first came out..I may check it out again. I remember liking what I heard.

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:03 pm

Bought4Life wrote:

Speaking of Vince Neil, his 1992/1993 solo album, Exposed, fits into this conversation.

I heard a couple of songs from it back when it first came out..I may check it out again. I remember liking what I heard.
There are two versions of "You're Invited". There is the album version and then a soundtrack version (I can't remember the soundtrack). The soundtrack version features Tommy Shaw and jack Blades and is the better of the two.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:52 pm

Bought4Life wrote:
Black Rider wrote:That Tora Tora album smokes. You ever listen to Junkyard? Have that bluesy sound going on.

Used to have the first Junkyard album with "Hollywood" on it. Never heard anything else by them. Was their follow-up good?

I know back in the day, I liked the first Bullet Boys album, but the second (Freakshow, I think?) was horrible.

If you end up liking Junkyard's "Sixes, Sevens & Nines"  You can check out their later work. They have a few indie releases called "Joker" and "XXX" (that may or may not be on Spotify) and they recently put out a recent album titled "High Water" (in 2017).
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:33 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Bought4Life wrote:

If you end up liking Junkyard's "Sixes, Sevens & Nines"  You can check out their later work. They have a few indie releases called "Joker" and "XXX" (that may or may not be on Spotify) and they recently put out a recent album titled "High Water" (in 2017).

Thanks! I'll check them out

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:33 pm

MikeInFla wrote:
Bought4Life wrote:

There are two versions of "You're Invited". There is the album version and then a soundtrack version (I can't remember the soundtrack). The soundtrack version features Tommy Shaw and jack Blades and is the better of the two.

I guess Encino Man was the soundtrack? Never saw the movie  Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by gunz1977 Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:06 pm

Tons of great releases listed here.
I'd add "Saints 'N Sinners" self titled album to the list from 1992.

gunz1977
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:06 am

While not a band from the 80s the sound definitely was. The singer was from the band Sword who Mustaine has said was one of his favorites and Bon Jovi helped produce the album. The were just 4 to 5 years too late.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:39 am

Have to add Blue Murder, John Sykes is an incredible guitarist and Coverdale should've kept him.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:30 am

Bought4Life wrote:
MikeInFla wrote:
Bought4Life wrote:

I guess Encino Man was the soundtrack? Never saw the movie  Razz

You never saw Encino Man?  Dude, you lived a sheltered life!   Razz Razz Razz
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:32 am

Black Rider wrote:Have to add Blue Murder, John Sykes is an incredible guitarist and Coverdale should've kept him.

He was an amazing guitarist.  I remember having the Blue Murder debut back in the day.  While the playing was awesome, the songs were just not very memorable.  Like a lot of great players, it seemed like John could make any song sound good, but he didn't know how to write a great song in my opinion.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:37 am

I thought a few of the songs were memorable, Valley of the Kings is a scorcher.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:10 pm

Black Rider wrote:Have to add Blue Murder, John Sykes is an incredible guitarist and Coverdale should've kept him.

Sykes is the one that made that 1987 album what it was....Coverdale would be nothing without him. But alas, Coverdale's ego couldn't take it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:52 pm

I wouldn't say nothing, he was already well known but Sykes pushed him to the next level.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:01 am

Did you ever hear Cry Wolf? The had a self titled in '89 then an album called Crunch in 90. I always thought the singer sounded a little like Michael Sweet.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:57 pm

Some of the 90's albums by hair metal bands were actually quite good even though the style changed. 
I will just mention a few.... 

I really liked Warrant's "Ultraphobic."  I never really cared for them as a hair band, but as a grunge band they did a good job.  The song "Family Picnic" is brilliant, and "Undertow" and "Crawl Space" are really good too.

King's X  "Dogman" - My favorite King's X album.  A bit grungy in spots, but it was recorded live which adds to the feeling of spontaneity in the solos and the sound.

For more straight (i.e. non-grunge) hair metal:

Cry Wolf's "Crunch" album (1990) is excellent.   Good singing, hooks, and the guitar playing of Steve McKnight is really good.

Guardian "Miracle Mile" (1993) - some of their best material, and some killer guitar shred from Tony Palacios

Blue Murder "Nothin' But Trouble" (1994) was most notable for the amazing song "We All Fall Down," but overall it is a solid album with some hot guitar playing.

XYZ "Hungry" (1991) is a heart-breaker for me.  I love the fluid sound, the killer riffs, and the outrageous guitar playing of Marc Diglio, one of the best players of the time.  But that album cover and much of the lyrical content kind of ruins the experience for me.  Still, would love to find some live material of theirs from back then just to watch Marc play....wow.

These albums really stood out to me as well:  

Badlands "Voodoo Highway" (1991) - brilliant.

Shark Island "Law Of The Order" (1989, o.k., technically not 90'S) - Somewhat classier hair metal that is a bit of a cross between Surgin'/Bon Jovi and Danzig

Extreme "III Sides To Every Story" (1992) - some great songs and playing

Holy Soldier "Last Train" (1992) - some excellent songs which became high points for the band.  Their cover of "Gimme Shelter" is superb.

....I'm sure I'm forgetting some so might come back to this later.....
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next