The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has the window closed on getting a retro fest featuring 80's Christian "hair" bands?

+3
Staybrite
eatbugs
MikeInFla
7 posters

Go down

Has the window closed on getting a retro fest featuring 80's Christian "hair" bands? Empty Has the window closed on getting a retro fest featuring 80's Christian "hair" bands?

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:42 pm

Back circa 2012/2013, there was some talk from various sources about putting together an all 80's Christian Metal concert...sort of like the 2001 Cornerstone metal retro night.

At the time, you had a lot of bands that had reformed or talking about reforming, were still together, or who were available for one-offs.

Whitecross
X-Sinner
Stryper
Bloodgood
Saint
Jerusalem
Bride
Daniel Band
Barren Cross
Sacred Warrior
Rob Rock / Impelliterri
Armageddon
King James
The Brave

..those are just ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Sadly, all that really materialized during that time from was having several bands play at the first Skull Fest (Whitecross, Pagano of Novella, X-Sinner, Michael Sweet & Oz Fox). Which, while a great event, was not a Christian metal fest.

Since that time, I think some of these bands have decided to hang it up or had reunions that never materialized (maybe having a commitment to play a fest would have helped).

Secular hair bands seem to be still having a resurgence, but has the time passed for the Christian realm?

Back to top Go down

Has the window closed on getting a retro fest featuring 80's Christian "hair" bands? Empty Re: Has the window closed on getting a retro fest featuring 80's Christian "hair" bands?

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:08 pm

I remember having a discussion about this last time I was member here....but I really don't remember the answers...lol

Back to top Go down

Has the window closed on getting a retro fest featuring 80's Christian "hair" bands? Empty Re: Has the window closed on getting a retro fest featuring 80's Christian "hair" bands?

Post by MikeInFla Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:21 am

This made me wonder what ever happened to Barren Cross. They were supposed to do something new severl years ago after the live album.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:24 pm

The time to do it was a few years ago when Bloodgood, Sacred Warrior, etc. were putting out comeback albums.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:26 pm

It does seem like Stryper is the only Christian group jumping on the 80's Hair Metal revival touring engagements.  You would think a few of the other bands would jump in.

Rob and Impelliterri did just put out an album this last year, but I think their live performances are probably better attended in Europe and Japan than they would be in the States.  Saint is supposed to be coming out with an album in 2019, and the band is slated to play the NW Metalfest in Seattle in March...sadly I will be out of the country and will miss it.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:45 am

MikeInFla wrote:This made me wonder what ever happened to Barren Cross. They were supposed to do something new severl years ago after the live album.

I think Mike Lee was not really into it. Once he saw there wasn't as much money in it as he thought, he probably just bailed. I had some talks with him back then on FB, and even posted here about it. He seemed pretty out there. 

eatbugs wrote:The time to do it was a few years ago when Bloodgood, Sacred Warrior, etc. were putting out comeback albums.

Yeah, that's what I thought too...it's a shame, there was an opportunity there that no one ever took. Daniel Band had even recorded a couple of tracks...

Staybrite wrote:It does seem like Stryper is the only Christian group jumping on the 80's Hair Metal revival touring engagements.  You would think a few of the other bands would jump in.

Rob and Impelliterri did just put out an album this last year, but I think their live performances are probably better attended in Europe and Japan than they would be in the States.  Saint is supposed to be coming out with an album in 2019, and the band is slated to play the NW Metalfest in Seattle in March...sadly I will be out of the country and will miss it.

I see Whitecross and Jerusalem still do shows abroad now and then, also

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:22 am

Seeing that most of the retro band album releases are now reissues, I would think that a big fest featuring these bands would not be worthwhile financially to organizers without a ton of sponsors to underwrite it.  Face it, we are a blip on the radar for metal fans especially when you factor Jesus into it.  If you put it too far away, you won't attract fans.  Having these in major cities might be good, but you still will be playing smaller venues simply because of there not being that many Christian rockers around.  It has literally been a decade or more since I had a conversation with someone offline about Christian hard rock/metal.  People just glass over.  The younger generations think that Skillet and Demon Hunter are metal and wonder who is this Whitecross or Guardian of which you speak.  We are dinosaurs.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:39 am

The takeaway here is support new Christian metal bands because the old ones are gone!
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:18 pm

Just visited both the Barren Cross and Bloodgood websites and there's nothing new at all. Barren Cross has no updates at all since the live album was released and I think that was 2 or 3 years ago. Bloodgood's news section has some cool videos but no new news there either.

At least we will be getting new music from Saint soon!
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:20 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:The takeaway here is support new Christian metal bands because the old ones are gone!

Well, one really has nothing to do with the other. I already support the few newer bands I like (melodic metal/rock only, not into screaming or growling), but that doesn't change the fact that I wish someone had done this back when the chance was there.

MikeInFla wrote:Just visited both the Barren Cross and Bloodgood websites and there's nothing new at all. Barren Cross has no updates at all since the live album was released and I think that was 2 or 3 years ago. Bloodgood's news section has some cool videos but no new news there either.

At least we will be getting new music from Saint soon!

Bloodgood still actively posts at least (on Facebook), and I believe still do shows now and then overseas.

But yeah, BC vanished off the face of the earth  Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:24 pm

alldatndensum wrote:Seeing that most of the retro band album releases are now reissues, I would think that a big fest featuring these bands would not be worthwhile financially to organizers without a ton of sponsors to underwrite it.  Face it, we are a blip on the radar for metal fans especially when you factor Jesus into it.  If you put it too far away, you won't attract fans.  Having these in major cities might be good, but you still will be playing smaller venues simply because of there not being that many Christian rockers around.  It has literally been a decade or more since I had a conversation with someone offline about Christian hard rock/metal.  People just glass over.  The younger generations think that Skillet and Demon Hunter are metal and wonder who is this Whitecross or Guardian of which you speak.  We are dinosaurs.

A smaller venue was what I was expecting, honestly...

Most of the secular 80's hair bands play bars.....even Skull Fest was at a bar.

But yeah, we are going the way of the dinosaur. It just shows that the younger generation has no taste  Razz

(except Chaotic Resemblance, they are keeping the fire burning)

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:40 pm

Bought4Life wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:The takeaway here is support new Christian metal bands because the old ones are gone!

Well, one really has nothing to do with the other. I already support the few newer bands I like (melodic metal/rock only, not into screaming or growling), but that doesn't change the fact that I wish someone had done this back when the chance was there.

If they have a classic metal vibe, I will support them.  But, a lot of the newer stuff turns me off with the growly, screaming vocals.  It's all so monotone in delivery to these ears.  I don't like the style and refuse to support them just because they are the new Christian metal bands.  I'd rather be labeled as a dinosaur.

I liked some of the old CCM artists like Audio Adrenaline, Third Day, DC Talk, Rebecca St. James, etc.  With this line of thinking, I should buy all the new CCM artists just because they are new despite the fact that I don't care for most of the cookie cutter sounding generic worshippy stuff that is so prevalent today.

I think it is silly to say we are just going to support something new because it is.....well, new.  I'd rather just stick with what I know than be forced to support artists who don't interest me or don't offer the things I like.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:16 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Bought4Life wrote:

If they have a classic metal vibe, I will support them.  But, a lot of the newer stuff turns me off with the growly, screaming vocals.  It's all so monotone in delivery to these ears.  I don't like the style and refuse to support them just because they are the new Christian metal bands.  I'd rather be labeled as a dinosaur.

I liked some of the old CCM artists like Audio Adrenaline, Third Day, DC Talk, Rebecca St. James, etc.  With this line of thinking, I should buy all the new CCM artists just because they are new despite the fact that I don't care for most of the cookie cutter sounding generic worshippy stuff that is so prevalent today.

I think it is silly to say we are just going to support something new because it is.....well, new.  I'd rather just stick with what I know than be forced to support artists who don't interest me or don't offer the things I like.

Well said Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Samson Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:54 pm

We ain't much different from our parents' generation, many of whom still cling to hymnals. Just an observation, not an attack.

That said, new seasons call for new wine.
Samson
Samson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:58 pm

H.M. Murdock wrote:We ain't much different from our parents' generation, many of whom still cling to hymnals. New seasons call for new wine.

There's nothing wrong with knowing what you like, and sticking to it.

There is new stuff I like, there are even different types of genres I like. But, that era is still special to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:03 pm

H.M. Murdock wrote:We ain't much different from our parents' generation, many of whom still cling to hymnals. Just an observation, not an attack.

I get that, but that doesn't mean that we have to appreciate the flavor of the month whine we hear on CCM radio or in many of the modern rock/metal bands of today.  It is only in the Christian scene where we are looked down for not being into the newer stuff.  In the secular metal world, people actually respect you for liking the old bands and seeking out stuff from that era or continuing to rock it loud without expecting you to jump on board with everything that comes out today.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:48 am

H.M. Murdock wrote:We ain't much different from our parents' generation, many of whom still cling to hymnals. Just an observation, not an attack.

It's not our fault that the new wine sux.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down