The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joshua Perahia riff nearly identical to a Bon Jovi song

+3
exo
alldatndensum
Follower of Jesus
7 posters

Go down

Joshua Perahia riff nearly identical to a Bon Jovi song Empty Joshua Perahia riff nearly identical to a Bon Jovi song

Post by Follower of Jesus Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:55 pm

My son just loves Mpire, which was Joshua Perahia's band back in the 90s.Today he put on their song You Want It All. When the opening riff played, it sounded so familiar. I finally found it...the riff is nearly identical to Bon Jovi's Tokyo Road. Listen to the opening to the two songs. The riff is so close!

Last edited by Follower of Jesus on Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Joshua Perahia riff nearly identical to a Bon Jovi song Empty Re: Joshua Perahia riff nearly identical to a Bon Jovi song

Post by alldatndensum Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:34 pm

He may have done it intentionally to give a tip of the hat to Bon Jovi.  He may have accidentally done it as there are only so many notes and riffs are sometime going to be similar.

I've borrowed riffs intentionally before.  With my first Mission Of One CD, I used a piece of KISS's "She" in one of my songs.  I also used a little of that quick track that is just a few seconds long from Bride's "Snakes In The Playground".  I took it and wrote a whole song from it.  LOL

On my upcoming album as Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band, a blues/rock project, I am using a little of Poison's "Talk Dirty To Me" during my guitar solo.  This way, I can tip my hat to one of my early influences without having to cover one of their songs completely.  The rest of the song is my own but I am intentionally using this riffage.  If done right, it can be a cool way to pay homage to musicians you admire.

Using "Talk Dirty To Me" should raise some eyebrows as this is a Christian blues/rock project!
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Joshua Perahia riff nearly identical to a Bon Jovi song Empty Re: Joshua Perahia riff nearly identical to a Bon Jovi song

Post by exo Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:13 pm

It could also be quite unintentional.  I had riffs I came up with (or so I thought) that I'd jammed on at home for years, only to discover 4-5 years after the fact that one was essentially the intro to GnR "It's So Easy", another was "Blood and Fire" by Type O Negative, and a third ended up being out of "The Nameless" by Dagon (and much like alldat, I decided to leave THAT one in my song as an intentional shout out to my friends) Never set out to learn the songs, I'd just listened to them enough years ago that they came out in my playing naturally.  There's only 13 notes in Western music. It happens.

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:22 am

How about this? Queensryche ripping off Mpire, ripping off Bon Jovi?

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:32 am

Things like these happen all the time. The latest Theocracy album also proved that Matt Smith listens very closely to Edguy (and Avantasia).
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:15 am

exo wrote:There's only 13 notes in Western music.

I got to wondering recently what the amount of combinations there are with just 13 notes. Certainly millions. Perhaps billions?
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor_Valconian Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:15 am

Not a guitar riff, but a lot of similarity between a portion of Project Aegis - Angel in the Ashes and This is Halloween from A Nightmare before Christmas

https://thecmr.forumotion.com/t9311-project-aegis-angel-in-the-ashes?highlight=aegis
Professor_Valconian
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Location : In a meeting of the Society who puts things on top of other things

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:36 am

Thread title changed. I realized that the title I had sounded like an accusation. I don't believe Joshua deliberately did this. But the similarities are striking.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:23 am

New Creation wrote:
exo wrote:There's only 13 notes in Western music.

I got to wondering recently what the amount of combinations there are with just 13 notes. Certainly millions. Perhaps billions?

When you factor in things like time signatures, note values, chords (which are combinations of multiple notes", the potential combinations are pretty near limitless.  It's just that when a bunch of people have the same influences or are going for a similar "feel", that narrows things down several orders of magnitude.  There's only so many things one can do if, for example, you're playing a pentatonic scale in A minor at 80 BPM trying to play a shuffle groove......multiple people doing that are going to naturally sound similar because of the restrictions, and out of 1000 people doing it, it really isn't a surprise that 5-6 of 'em come out sounding almost identical.

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshua Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:21 pm

These opinions here are revolting. I have never listened to Bon Jovi in my life. I don't listen to party bands. MY song sounds nothing like Bon Jovi, as that is an insult. Hundreds of bands wrote songs with a riff, followed by a whammy bar descending before the verse. That is what you are all hearing. MY chords are completely different. I just heard the Bon Jovi song just now, as my son played it for me. We both started laughing instantly as they are nothing alike. I think you people need to have your hearing checked.

Joshua
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down