The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best live Christian metal experience you've had?

+27
Jessrox
arttieTHE1manparty
MikeInFla
Pershing1134
strangerhoncho
ludey7
Superjuice
metaldude
TMLMKE
Driven
Andreas89
jusma
crucifyd
Black Rider
Wigeon
timekeeper
Sir Shred A Lot
d@v!d
New Creation
Markus1987
jaydeecrawson
Dynamis
bigtreads
Hardcore Christian
ImagoDei
exo
Taylor of Darchera
31 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Best live Christian metal experience you've had?  Empty Best live Christian metal experience you've had?

Post by Taylor of Darchera Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:23 pm

Hello friends in Christ, 

I'm new here, but excited to join you all! What is your best experience of a live Christian metal show? Or a fond memory you have of attending one? 

Mine would have to be seeing Theocracy in Marietta, GA last December. I have all their albums and play them pretty much constantly while driving (and I drive about 700 miles a week), so seeing them play live (and OWN the stage) was unbelievable. Right before they went on, all the other guys in the front row and I were guessing what they would open with. I jokingly said, "what if they opened with Mirror of Souls?" (a 23-minute long epic) and lo-and-behold they DID! The crowd erupted as soon as the first notes were played, and right then I knew I was in for a night to remember. Matt Smith gave 110% the whole night (he didn't take any of the high notes down the octave!), and they even did an obscure goofy Christmas tune they'd never played live! I traveled from TN with my girlfriend to see them, and I remember us eating at Waffle House after the show, ears ringing and minds in sensory overload. One of my best memories. 

Good to be aboard! 

Cheers, 

Taylor

Taylor of Darchera
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Best live Christian metal experience you've had?  Empty Re: Best live Christian metal experience you've had?

Post by exo Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:43 pm

Crimson Moonlight at the now defunct Skelletones in Grand Rapids Michigan, 2006.  TINY room, and Pilgrim has a HUGE stage presence.  It was an EXPERIENCE.

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Best live Christian metal experience you've had?  Empty Re: Best live Christian metal experience you've had?

Post by ImagoDei Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:28 pm

I haven't seen a lot of Christian bands live, but of the ones I have seen:

Mortification playing material from self titled, scrolls and PMA. Got to hang out with Steve for a bit, seemed like a super nice guy. Some lady at the show back stage took my address and proceeded to mail me free CDs and HM magazines for some time after. I wish I could remember who she was. 

Love and Death- very good live, and Head pronounces the gospel from the stage. Pretty cool vibe to their set, definitely has a Korn feeling to it. I was able to get really close to the stage and watching Head that closely live was just cool for me. Whether you like them or not, Head and Koran were very instrumental and influential in the whole nu metal thing that happened, and I think Head as a guitarist was a main innovator in developing that sound. Guitar world agrees, as they ranked him 26/100 greatest metal guitarists of all time.

Norma Jean, but it was back when they were still called Luti-Kriss, absolutely wild live, destroyed their gear at the end of the show, smashing the amps and ripping the drum kit apart. It was a tiny venue that didn't even have a stage, everybody just stood around them at ground level. Me without You opened for them, and they only had a demo, and were freshly signed to Tooth and Nail. They played the show in really nice suits, and I remember the singer moshing with the crowd during their set. Actually all of those guys from both bands  just hung out with us all in the crowd when their band wasn't playing. 

The Wedding- they stand out because they insulted the crowd, well sorta. At that particular show, they called the crowd the most boring one they'd ever played for, lol. Probably not the most appropriate thing to announce if people already aren't into you. But, I think everybody was there for The Letter Black and Thousand Foot Krutch and just waiting out The Wedding because they had to. 

Not metal, but Lecrae and Propaganda are both awesome live and very uplifting, and man, people get into them big time. It's a pretty cool experience

ImagoDei
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:27 pm

ImagoDei wrote:Norma Jean, but it was back when they were still called Luti-Kriss, absolutely wild live, destroyed their gear at the end of the show, smashing the amps and ripping the drum kit apart. It was a tiny venue that didn't even have a stage, everybody just stood around them at ground level. Me without You opened for them, and they only had a demo, and were freshly signed to Tooth and Nail. They played the show in really nice suits, and I remember the singer moshing with the crowd during their set. Actually all of those guys from both bands  just hung out with us all in the crowd when their band wasn't playing.
Dude that was when Scogin was still the lead singer of Norma Jean! That wouldve been amazing live

I remember seeing The Chariot live a few times and had a similar experience but I dont think they completely trashed their instruments

They always threw their guitars way up in the air though Rockin Loud
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtreads Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

Stryper - To Hell With The Devil - Jan 8 1987 - I was 15 - Soooo good - my first metal concert
Demon Hunter - True Defiance - April 17 2012 - front and center incredible concert
bigtreads
bigtreads
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Dynamis Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:37 pm

Spring of 1985 I saw Saint open for Stryper in Portland, Oregon.  The very next year it was Bloodgood opening for Stryper.

Also saw Holy Soldier in a small club in downtown Portland in early 1990.
Dynamis
Dynamis
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

http://www.angelicwarlord.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jaydeecrawson Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Saw Bride at the Strand Theater in Marietta Square near Atlanta in '95. pretty awesome

Saw Extol 2 or 3x, Mortification 3x, Living Sacrifice probably 5x, etc

jaydeecrawson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Markus1987 Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:32 am

I'll never forget the day when I saw Stryper live the very first time. It was November 17th, 2007, at Maata Nakyvissa Festival in Turku, Finland.

I honestly got some real chills through my spine when the intro "Battle Hymn of the Republic" started. And straight after that they started to play "The Way". What an epic way to start the show Smile . I got the chance to meet the guys after the show and had a little chat with Michael. He's such a nice and humble guy.
Markus1987
Markus1987
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Dynamis Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:23 am

I forgot to mention seeing Guardian ("First Watch" tour) and Barren Cross ("State of Control" tour) in Portland as well.
Dynamis
Dynamis
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

http://www.angelicwarlord.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:36 am

I've been to countless shows, too many memories to count. I'll try and come up with some highlights and post later.
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:49 am

Taylor of Darchera wrote:Hello friends in Christ, 

I'm new here, but excited to join you all! What is your best experience of a live Christian metal show? Or a fond memory you have of attending one? 

Mine would have to be seeing Theocracy in Marietta, GA last December. I have all their albums and play them pretty much constantly while driving (and I drive about 700 miles a week), so seeing them play live (and OWN the stage) was unbelievable. Right before they went on, all the other guys in the front row and I were guessing what they would open with. I jokingly said, "what if they opened with Mirror of Souls?" (a 23-minute long epic) and lo-and-behold they DID! The crowd erupted as soon as the first notes were played, and right then I knew I was in for a night to remember. Matt Smith gave 110% the whole night (he didn't take any of the high notes down the octave!), and they even did an obscure goofy Christmas tune they'd never played live! I traveled from TN with my girlfriend to see them, and I remember us eating at Waffle House after the show, ears ringing and minds in sensory overload. One of my best memories. 

Good to be aboard! 

Cheers, 

Taylor
Welcome!

Tough question. Probably the first time I saw The Crucified, but I don't remember it as I saw them so many times back in the day it's all a blur. Another would be seeing Martyr 1.0, not having heard about them before, at Cafe Oasis in Hollywood by accident. I went there to check out the place one afternoon and met them at load in and came back later that evening to watch them play.

Last edited by d@v!d on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Shred A Lot Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:40 am

I have probably seen over 1000 Christian metal/rock shows in my lifetime, going back to the mid-80s. I went to Cornerstone Festival every year from 1987-95, and that provided so many awesome memories. I also lived in Minneapolis, which was one of the few places that had a venue that regularly booked Christian metal bands - The New Union. I saw so many bands there. It would be impossible for me to remember all the highlights, but here are just a few...

Back at their peak, Bride was awesome live. I saw them at least a dozen times. I think 1988 was the first.

Stryper, of course. I've actually only seen them 5 or 6 times, the most recent was just last year.

Extol blew me away the first time I saw them. I saw them three times, but the first one was the best. Unbelievably tight.

If King's X qualifies, I'd have to include them. Probably saw them 6 or 7 times. Actually one of the best concerts ever was King's X and the Galactic Cowboys. Maybe that was 1992-93-94. Both bands crushed it that night. 

Believer

One Bad Pig

Bloodgood

Tourniquet

Crucified

Vengeance Rising

Wow... I could go on and on. Great times.

Sir Shred A Lot
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by timekeeper Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:29 am

Too many to count, but the best has to be Stryper in the late 80's - professional, excellent musicianship and louder than anything I've ever heard.
timekeeper
timekeeper
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:10 am

I think the best metal concert I ever went to was Deliverance opening for Vengeance Rising in Denver. Possibly the second best was Living Sacrifice with opening artists Zao and NIV.
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigeon Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:43 pm

I've been to countless shows since around 1991, all in the Houston/Austin/San Antonio triangle, and one or two in Dallas. Here are the one's that really made a memorable impact on me:

Vengeance Rising in Houston 1992 - The show was supposed to be Deliverance. A few days before the show we heard that George Ochoa badly burned his hand and Deliverance had to cancel. Vengeance supposedly took their place. When we got there, George Ochoa came out on stage to warm up, he talked to us and gave us some of his signature Deliverance guitar picks. The rumor was obviously false, but never really knew why Deliverance didn't play. Also got to meet and hang out with Roger Martinez after the show. He was a trip. We watched him witness to this guy in a Morbid Angel T-shirt and the guy got saved. Pretty cool stuff. I got my picture taken with Roger, it's buried in a box somewhere.

The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD in San Antonio 1993 - The show was billed as The Crucified and Mortal. We showed up early, and some guys were shooting pool in the club. One big guy with a huge afro and colorful 8-ball leather jacket was shooting pool. We figured it was a local just hanging out there. When the show started, the fog machines started going, this guy came out with a guitar and just started riffing like a mad man. The Crucified band was backing him. We found out later it was XL that later released XL and DBD "Sodom and America". After two of his songs, Greg Minier took the mic and performed a couple of Applehead songs. Mortal came on next. I wasn't a fan before this show, but they tore it up and put on a great show with heavy heavy music and intensity. The Crucified finished up and did not disappoint. Got all of the band member's autographs on my Crucified shirt.   

Mortification and Living Sacrifice (original lineup) in San Antonion 1993 - This was my first of many times to see both bands, but the only time with LS original lineup (DJ on vox), and Mortification with Michael Carlisle on guitar. Michael talked to us before the show and shared some very strange stories that didn't really make any sense. The biggest bummer was that Jason Truby blew up his amp only 2 -3 songs into their set and LS stopped playing early.

See below for some flyers I got from those shows and others from Sanctuary Church in San Antonio.
Wigeon
Wigeon
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigeon Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:48 pm

Best live Christian metal experience you've had?  Ticket11
Best live Christian metal experience you've had?  Siloam11
Best live Christian metal experience you've had?  Morti11
Best live Christian metal experience you've had?  Summer11
Best live Christian metal experience you've had?  Crucif11
Best live Christian metal experience you've had?  Vengea11
Wigeon
Wigeon
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:26 pm

For me probably,

The first 3 Scream The Prayer Tours with too many bands too count (Im not even gonna list of all of them)
Over 3 years I got to see:
Impending Doom
Sleeping Giant
For Today
Agraceful
Attack Attack
Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster
Blessed By A Broken Heart
Mychildren Mybride
War Of Ages
Soul Embraced
With Blood Comes Cleansing
I The Breather
The Crimson Armada
A Plea For Purging
In The Midst Of Lions
The Color Morale
The Great Commission
Hundredth
Haste The Day
The Chariot
Project 86
Oh Sleeper
Gwen Stacy
Corpus Christi

All in 3 shows! Annually for 3 years in a row
(Some bands I got to see multiple times of course!)
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:52 pm

Dynamis wrote: wrote:Spring of 1985 I saw Saint open for Stryper in Portland, Oregon.  The very next year it was Bloodgood opening for Stryper.

Also saw Holy Soldier in a small club in downtown Portland in early 1990.
Saw those myself. 

Saw The Crucified in some little hall back in the day with about 150 folk and it was almost 100 degrees out. Covered in sweat, there's and ours.

BTA, Demon Hunter, Zao and someone else and the whole place was a mosh pit. Good fun.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:57 pm

Not to be unduly negative, but I see that Stryper was some of your firsts. The first time I saw them I did enjoy them a lot and was still riding high on the feelings when the next day I got the call telling me that my little sister had died.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:45 pm

have to go with The Crucified...a small hall in Federal Way with about 150 souls...hot and sweaty...huh, this sounds familiar...

Black Rider, it sounds like we were at the same show from your description and location... Yes?

Black Rider wrote:Saw The Crucified in some little hall back in the day with about 150 folk and it was almost 100 degrees out. Covered in sweat, there's and ours.

here is my ticket

Best live Christian metal experience you've had?  R5T2W6Qf+5+LtveecyAae0sc6WgH8KAEIgJwWgMuWrsvObMz26s3ebM0GbdHm7M4u7c8O7dM2bdTGbNb+7NZ+bdiObdmebdp+bQeobdzObd3ebd6m7dUWbc8ObtWGbeH2bAFwkcs+gMz2aq9Gbq8GgJwObueWLuhGhJyWWQFALOrJbOTGae+OKvB+jqZ2EeUuRiZp6mKMbk6dmi2m3qesaOp1PAYXGeIqge9hkVlGymlh3O58SD3yroDncIIAD3AAt04EeAADiAAAOw==

I would also second the King's X / Galactic Cowboys. Saw them in Seattle, I think at Rock Candy, leaning against the stage, getting showered in Doug Pinnick and Ben Huggins spittle...Incredible!

I am jealous of some of you, as I've state before, I would trade it all to have seen Vengeance in the Human Sacrifice era...
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:18 pm

I saw them in Salem, Or. but that's the right year.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by jusma Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:18 am

First Stryper show in 2007
Rob Rock in 2014
jusma
jusma
Finnish Metal Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:52 am

The period of 2009-2012 was my prime time for metal concerts. Since I've only been a christian for less than half of that period, I haven't seen many christian metal bands. Plus, they don't tour that much. Anyway, I saw Sinbreed back then; I consider them a christian metal band until their album Shadows. It was a nice concert.
I also saw Theocracy a few weeks before that. Terrible venue, great show and atmosphere.

Also saw Neal Morse in 2015 but I don't think that counts as metal.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Shred A Lot Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:36 am

Cool memorabilia, Wigeon. I didn't save any ticket stubs or posters, but I do have a lot of photos from concerts I attended. I just need to find the time to scan them into digital format someday.

Sir Shred A Lot
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:26 am

crucifyd wrote:have to go with The Crucified...a small hall in Federal Way with about 150 souls...hot and sweaty...huh, this sounds familiar...

Black Rider, it sounds like we were at the same show from your description and location... Yes?

Black Rider wrote:Saw The Crucified in some little hall back in the day with about 150 folk and it was almost 100 degrees out. Covered in sweat, there's and ours.

here is my ticket

I would also second the King's X / Galactic Cowboys. Saw them in Seattle, I think at Rock Candy, leaning against the stage, getting showered in Doug Pinnick and Ben Huggins spittle...Incredible!

I am jealous of some of you, as I've state before, I would trade it all to have seen Vengeance in the Human Sacrifice era...
I wonder if we ever had bumped into each other. I went on a Northwest tour in 92 with Martyr and Hold True. Federal Way rings a bell, we may have played there.

BTW, crazy thing when I wen tot post. It took me to a page to verify that I wasn't a spammer. I couldn't post until I deleted the ticket image.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next