The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What defines a great song?

2 posters

Go down

What defines a great song?  Empty What defines a great song?

Post by Markus1987 Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:18 pm

I've been thinking this for a while now. What defines a great song? Is it something in the lyrics or something in the music itself (Count in the instrumental stuff too)? I'm just curious, so feel free to share your thoughts Smile.

To me the song has to have something in which I really can identify with. Something, that speaks to my heart. It's sometimes hard to point my finger to the one certain thing, because most of the time it's a combination of things.

On the lyrical side it's usually like this: The song really sticks to me when I realize that the lyrics are basically talking about the same kind of a situation that I'm going through myself.  And of course I want the lyrics to be hopeful and uplifting Smile.

Musical side is another thing. Sometimes it's the melody that speaks to me. Sometimes it's about the raw energy. But there must be some kind of a hook to grab on, whether it's in the melody or in the riffs (especially in metal).

But, like I said, it does seems to be a combination of things Smile.
Markus1987
Markus1987
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

What defines a great song?  Empty Re: What defines a great song?

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:54 pm

At a minimum, it has to be memorable.

The vast majority of songs fail on this basic qualification alone.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down