The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Genre-combinations you'd like to see

+8
strangerhoncho
Machine Fish
TheDoctor394
ThomasEversole
alldatndensum
Andreas89
Kerrick
WildWorld
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Genre-combinations you'd like to see  Empty Genre-combinations you'd like to see

Post by WildWorld Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:17 pm

We all know that there are plenty of bands in metal which have "combined" various genres, but what are some combos you'd like to see? I'd like to see if anyone has even attempted to mix thrash with doom (yeah, completely different tempos, but it would be interesting if it was possible).

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Genre-combinations you'd like to see  Empty Re: Genre-combinations you'd like to see

Post by Kerrick Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:25 pm

Thrash and doom have been combined!  Seventh Angel comes to mind.  Also Adorned Graves (which features a member of CMR!).  I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them at the moment.

Within the Christian circle, I would love to see some black metal mixed with shoegaze (a la Alcest, etc.).  There's really not much of that yet.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Genre-combinations you'd like to see  Empty Re: Genre-combinations you'd like to see

Post by Andreas89 Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:19 pm

I must say I'm quite happy with exploring new bands within the known genres; a band's own touch can be enough to keep things interesting.

But when it comes to music with a christian message (not really a musical genre, but still Wink ), I'd love to see a symphonic power/speed metal band.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:12 pm

how about glam metal and new wave...

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:16 pm

Trance and power metal or black metal would make an interesting combination...

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:46 pm

To be honest, keep things separated so that the good stuff doesn't get ruined by adding elements that I don't like.

That's kind of like saying that we want ketchup added to macaroni and cheese just because we like both.  Ever try it?  NASTY!!!

lol!
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:39 pm

Trance and power metal or black metal would make an interesting combination...

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:36 am

I'd like to see a good mix of country and black metal.
...not that it would be a preferred mix, but with how quaint/bizarre it would be.

Plus it being something that my wife and I would both like. (her liking country, me liking black metal)
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDoctor394 Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:54 pm

Andreas89 wrote:I must say I'm quite happy with exploring new bands within the known genres; a band's own touch can be enough to keep things interesting.

But when it comes to music with a christian message (not really a musical genre, but still Wink ), I'd love to see a symphonic power/speed metal band.
https://youtu.be/v88veeWMezk
TheDoctor394
TheDoctor394
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDoctor394 Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:54 pm

I just can't get these YouTube links to work right. :-/
TheDoctor394
TheDoctor394
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:30 pm

Take the s out of the https and put the youtube link (the long version of what you just posted - all text before the &) in the middle of Youtube Links like this:
Code:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v88veeWMezk[/youtube]
and it will embed the video. : D
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDoctor394 Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:25 pm

Yay!  Thanks. Smile
TheDoctor394
TheDoctor394
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:31 am

Heh, that's from the only DivineFire album I like (that I know of).

But it's not exactly what I meant. Although the roughness is quite interesting, I'd like a bigger touch of classical composition. Kind of what (Luca Turilli's) Rhapsody (of Fire) does/did. And with less growls, DivineFire gets a bit too heavy on that since Into a New Dimension.

Anyway, DivineFire is more a case of orchestration added to speedy power metal, which can be fun. But I like it more integrated in the music.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDoctor394 Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:34 pm

Alright, I see what you mean.
A Christian Rhapsody would be fantasic. :-)  But I can't think of anyone offhand who fits that bill. Sad
TheDoctor394
TheDoctor394
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:05 pm

A Christian Rhapsody would be fantasic. :-)  But I can't think of anyone offhand who fits that bill

How about ReinXeed...

Back to top Go down

Post by Machine Fish Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:37 pm

I've seen only one band do this combination Ska+Metal. I'm not counting the song "Cardiac Rebellion" by Becoming the Archetype though. The band I'm talking about is NinjaSpy

There might be some heavy language in this one... It's been a while since I've heard it.

Machine Fish
Machine Fish
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://linktr.ee/nathanKmcwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:40 am

Death metal + dubstep (this has been done for single tracks here and there, but no full-length albums that I'm aware of)

Black/death/thrash/doom + bluegrass/old country ala American folk metal (there a million Euro-folk style metal bands, why no American??)

Death metal + hip-hop/rap

Death metal with clean 80s style thrash vocals

strangerhoncho
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:19 pm

does an interpretation of a style done in another style count? ever heard of Iron Horse...

I don't know what to think. first time I heard it I thougt it was cool but I listened to the whole album and ... IDK

Iron Horse - Fade to Bluegrass
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC0CB8CF592F6A7D5

Iron Horse - Fade to Bluegrass: Volume 2
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDE6D2F107AB979BF
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:31 pm

Yeah there are some great bluegrass covers of metal songs, but nope doesn't count!  I'm talking about an American folk metal band like a Celtic folk metal band like Waylander, which mixes the two genres.

strangerhoncho
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Machine Fish Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:49 am

Iron Horse is awesome. I think a lot of Metallica songs especially the early one s translate to bluegrass especially the lyrics kind of sound like folk-y tall tales and legends
Machine Fish
Machine Fish
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://linktr.ee/nathanKmcwilliams

strangerhoncho likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Sat May 11, 2024 1:42 pm

This is a really old thread but whatever. I know this is already a thing but Prog Thrash. Specifically more like ...And Justice For All. No one has done prog thrash like that album (I have plans to though Very Happy). I think another interesting one would be Alt. Thrash. Don't know if it exists but it would definitely be interesting.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

strangerhoncho likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Sat May 11, 2024 6:07 pm

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:This is a really old thread but whatever. I know this is already a thing but Prog Thrash. Specifically more like ...And Justice For All. No one has done prog thrash like that album (I have plans to though Very Happy). I think another interesting one would be Alt. Thrash. Don't know if it exists but it would definitely be interesting.
What would you mean by Alt. Thrash?  There were plenty of alternative metal bands in the early 90s, with a few incorporating thrash.  Like Prong's first two albums Beg to Differ and Prove You Wrong, or Corrosion of Conformity's Blind or Deliverance.  Or even like Primus's album Antipop.

Alternative is such a big tent with hundreds of various styles, so maybe you mean more like mellower alternative fused with thrash?

strangerhoncho
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sat May 11, 2024 7:07 pm

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:This is a really old thread but whatever. I know this is already a thing but Prog Thrash. Specifically more like ...And Justice For All. No one has done prog thrash like that album (I have plans to though Very Happy). I think another interesting one would be Alt. Thrash. Don't know if it exists but it would definitely be interesting.

Check out early Thought Industry for alt/prog thrash. They're fairly avant-garde though.

Also for AJFA-ish prog thrash, check out Prototype. Especially their first album "Trinity".
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Sat May 11, 2024 7:09 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:

Check out early Thought Industry for alt/prog thrash. They're fairly avant-garde though.

Also for AJFA-ish prog thrash, check out Prototype. Especially their first album "Trinity".
Is Prototype Christian? I'm mainly asking because that album title sounds Christian.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sat May 11, 2024 7:14 pm

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:
MagnusPrime wrote:

Is Prototype Christian? I'm mainly asking because that album title sounds Christian.

No.

They're actually an offshoot of a band called Psychosis. They even use the same font for their name. You'd like them as well. Check out their album Lifeforce.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Psychosis/448

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Prototype/447
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next