The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Currently reading?

+63
Follower of Jesus
Ammocas
Black Rider
ReedBenson
TheDoctor394
M_Mosher
Raegoul
scottmitchell74
Dr3ams
Sevenoneself
ChosenNightwolf
Theonymic
Keva
the Ceiling
Drawnsword
Pethead
Dustofyears
Contrarian Deist
Deepfriar
Staybrite
brutalwarfaretx
BaleMaster
Grindboy
Son of Nun
Frozen Fire
CrimsonWarrior
Constantine
L8T
Athonite
oldschooldoom
HenrikB
Anfauglith
jeffcorpse
Noods
Livna
Professor_Valconian
Fearless For The King
HeavyLighter
Superjuice
PlaceOfASkull
Yaaqov
elManique
sentient 6
eatbugs
Andreas89
ImagoDei
New Creation
Athanasius
d@v!d
Markus1987
TMLMKE
Kerrick
shekkian
messiaen77
MikeInFla
TheOldMan2084
KaramKaram
alldatndensum
Blake
deathisgain
Hardcore Christian
WildWorld
67 posters

Page 17 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21 ... 25  Next

Go down

Currently reading? - Page 17 Empty Re: Currently reading?

Post by BaleMaster Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:31 am

Still awaiting Jennette McCurdy's brand-new bestseller, I'm Glad My Mom Died.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:48 am

Sevenoneself wrote:^^ I'll let you know! 

I know I'm getting into controversial stuff here, so I'll just give you my experience and you'll have to accept it for what it is!

I've been following Julie Roys for awhile (and those who are sympathetic of her work), and for the most part I'm impressed with her work. Those who follow her love this book.

I also follow and love Frank Turek, Greg Koukl, Sean Mcdowell, WLC, The Recovering Fundamentalist. They have varying levels of critique for this book, from flat-out rejection to guarded optimism.

A few weeks ago I re-connected with one of my former bible college professors whom I really respect. He had recently read it and gave a mostly optimistic view of it. He said, at the least, I should read it for myself.

So...I will give a review when I'm done!

Anybody who knows me knows I'm not here to argue, though I do know the book is controversial. I haven't read it, but am curious what people think. (People who have actually read the book, not people who read what somebody else says about the book.)

Julie Roys. . . I can't say I "follow" her, but I'm aware of her, and it seems likely that she's done some helpful things? But she also makes me wonder where the line is between exposing really, truly dark and damaging things and expecting perfection from clergy. What's the difference between "spiritual abuse" and "a guy got mad and said something he shouldn't have once or twice?" Pastors ARE held to higher standards. Pastor also ARE still human beings, and not actual Jesus. And there's a well known psychological phenomenon where when you're looking for something, you find it. . . whether it's really there or not. I wonder if people who make it their business to start looking for "spiritual abuse" start seeing it all over. . . whether it's really there or not.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:51 am

Just for "on-topic" points!

Currently reading "Tortured for Christ" by Richard Wurmbrand. Absolutely amazing. I almost don't want to recommend it for fear of it stoking political garbage, but taken on it's own merits it's horrifying and inspiring and crazy all at the same time.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:05 am

Grindboy wrote:

I know I'm getting into controversial stuff here, so I'll just give you my experience and you'll have to accept it for what it is!

I've been following Julie Roys for awhile (and those who are sympathetic of her work), and for the most part I'm impressed with her work. Those who follow her love this book.

I also follow and love Frank Turek, Greg Koukl, Sean Mcdowell, WLC, The Recovering Fundamentalist. They have varying levels of critique for this book, from flat-out rejection to guarded optimism.

A few weeks ago I re-connected with one of my former bible college professors whom I really respect. He had recently read it and gave a mostly optimistic view of it. He said, at the least, I should read it for myself.

Anybody who knows me knows I'm not here to argue, though I do know the book is controversial. I haven't read it, but am curious what people think. (People who have actually read the book, not people who read what somebody else says about the book.)

Julie Roys. . . I can't say I "follow" her, but I'm aware of her, and it seems likely that she's done some helpful things? But she also makes me wonder where the line is between exposing really, truly dark and damaging things and expecting perfection from clergy. What's the difference between "spiritual abuse" and "a guy got mad and said something he shouldn't have once or twice?" Pastors ARE held to higher standards. Pastor also ARE still human beings, and not actual Jesus. And there's a well known psychological phenomenon where when you're looking for something, you find it. . . whether it's really there or not. I wonder if people who make it their business to start looking for "spiritual abuse" start seeing it all over. . . whether it's really there or not.
This is kind of how I feel about Julie Roys. She’s done some excellent work, but sometimes there almost seems to be witch-hunting going on. I try in the power of the Spirit to live my life above reproach, but I’m sure you could find unwise things I’ve said or moments of bad attitude if you looked close enough. I am very aware how far I fall short of perfection. That’s not to say there aren’t disqualifying sins, because there are. But not every sin disqualifies one from ministry. If it did, only our Lord could pastor a church!
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

scottmitchell74 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:07 pm

Sounds good.

Personally, I'm completely done with anything that leads with race...especially in the current zeitgeist where white people are quite literally to blame for everything. Too many people (of all ethnicities) but especially other white people are being way, way too passive about this. It's like people inexplicably staying in abusive relationships.

No more.

👍🤘
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:09 pm

I think the conversation about cultural vs biblical masculinity is worth having, but I think that’s a separate conversation from race. It’s not as if only one race has to deal with cultural vs biblical expectations.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:17 pm

Pethead wrote:I think the conversation about cultural vs biblical masculinity is worth having, but I think that’s a separate conversation from race. It’s not as if only one race has to deal with cultural vs biblical expectations.
We might not be talking about the same things. I'm reacting to the title that has "white Evangelicals in it.

That's the conversation I'm done with. If a title or conversation leads with race...then I knowm whence it came.
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:22 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Pethead wrote:I think the conversation about cultural vs biblical masculinity is worth having, but I think that’s a separate conversation from race. It’s not as if only one race has to deal with cultural vs biblical expectations.
We might not be talking about the same things. I'm reacting to the title that has "white Evangelicals in it.

That's the conversation I'm done with. If a title or conversation leads with race...then I knowm whence it came.
Sorry, I should’ve been clearer. I meant that part of the book, the issue of cultural vs biblical masculinity, seems like a good conversation to have. But I don’t know why the author seems to tie it in with race.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:24 pm

Pethead wrote:
scottmitchell74 wrote:

That's the conversation I'm done with. If a title or conversation leads with race...then I know whence it came.
Sorry, I should’ve been clearer. I meant that part of the book, the issue of cultural vs biblical masculinity, seems like a good conversation to have. But I don’t know why the author seems to tie it in with race.

Gotcha!

I am completely down with a conversation about masculinity, which men have largely abdicated.
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:39 am

D.A. Carson: Divine Sovereignty and Human Responsibility: Biblical Perspectives in Tension.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:34 am

Thomas Brooks: Precious Remedies against Satan’s Devices 
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:55 am

Pethead wrote:D.A. Carson: Divine Sovereignty and Human Responsibility: Biblical Perspectives in Tension.

How is it? Pretty calvinistic, or is it fair to the biblical texts on free will?
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:57 am

Sevenoneself wrote:
Pethead wrote:D.A. Carson: Divine Sovereignty and Human Responsibility: Biblical Perspectives in Tension.

How is it? Pretty calvinistic, or is it fair to the biblical texts on free will?
It’s good stuff. It’s Calvinistic, but it does justice to the variegated themes in Scripture. Carson’s a fair and good scholar.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:10 pm

Pethead wrote:
Sevenoneself wrote:

It’s good stuff. It’s Calvinistic, but it does justice to the variegated themes in Scripture. Carson’s a fair and good scholar.
Good to hear. I should put it on my list of things to read. I've read WLC's Q&A (#157) on Calvinism/Molinism a few times throughout the years and he references this book:

"1. D. A. Carson identifies nine streams of texts affirming human freedom: (1) People face a multitude of divine exhortations and commands, (2) people are said to obey, believe, and choose God, (3) people sin and rebel against God, (4) people’s sins are judged by God, (5) people are tested by God, (6) people receive divine rewards, (7) the elect are responsible to respond to God’s initiative, (Cool prayers are not mere showpieces scripted by God, and (9) God literally pleads with sinners to repent and be saved (Divine Sovereignty and Human Responsibility: Biblical Perspectives in Tension, pp. 18-22)."
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:26 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:
Pethead wrote:
Sevenoneself wrote:

Good to hear. I should put it on my list of things to read. I've read WLC's Q&A (#157) on Calvinism/Molinism a few times throughout the years and he references this book:

"1. D. A. Carson identifies nine streams of texts affirming human freedom: (1) People face a multitude of divine exhortations and commands, (2) people are said to obey, believe, and choose God, (3) people sin and rebel against God, (4) people’s sins are judged by God, (5) people are tested by God, (6) people receive divine rewards, (7) the elect are responsible to respond to God’s initiative, (Cool prayers are not mere showpieces scripted by God, and (9) God literally pleads with sinners to repent and be saved (Divine Sovereignty and Human Responsibility: Biblical Perspectives in Tension, pp. 18-22)."
I think Carson would be close to my current understanding.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:33 pm

Just a word of warning: the book is based on Carson’s dissertation, so it’s quite heady at points. You might want to skip over some sections.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:44 pm

^^ I've prided myself on reading all the way through every book I've started, but there are a few that got so heavy and over-my-head that I had to skip. WLC's Reasonable Faith was like that!
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Theonymic Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:26 pm

St. Maximus the Confessor - The Cosmic Mystery of Jesus Christ
Elias Loennrot - The Kalevala

Theonymic
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:04 am

Currently reading? - Page 17 51KotC9a75L
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:49 pm

I just picked up Yancey's Where The Light Fell from the library. But I technically haven't cracked it open and started reading yet...
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:41 am

Finally finished The gulag archipelago, and now I started reading To a thousand generations by Douglas Wilson
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:49 am

Andreas89 wrote:Finally finished The gulag archipelago, and now I started reading To a thousand generations by Douglas Wilson
Well done! It's on my bucket list, but I'm afraid I don't have enough self-discipline and perseverance right now. Nice work!
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Andreas89 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:17 am

Thanks, although I have to say that several chapters were omitted, but I couldn't find a version that did have them. A pity, because the summaries provided in the book looked really interesting. But who knows what the future will bring, a full Dutch version perhaps? Razz

The book doesn't have the greatest flow to it by the way, but that was because Solzhenitsyn had to keep the parts of his work separated just in case.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:07 am

Jeanette Mccurdy,  I'm Glad My Mom Died.

Last edited by BaleMaster on Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:00 pm

Gospel People: A Call for Evangelical Integrity by Michael Reeves
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21 ... 25  Next