The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where To Start With Dokken?

4 posters

Go down

Where To Start With Dokken? Empty Where To Start With Dokken?

Post by alldatndensum Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:23 pm

I was a fan of their first two albums back in the day and would like to get familiar with some of their newer stuff.  What sounds like those two albums?  What were major departures?
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Where To Start With Dokken? Empty Re: Where To Start With Dokken?

Post by Guest Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:28 pm

lightning strikes again is fantastic...so is broken bones... Stay away from the rerecorded greatest hits..its horrible...the best of is a good album...so is live in Japan...erase the slate is pretty good also..i have an extra copy if you want it..pm me where to send it and its yours..

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:08 pm

Well, NOTHING really sounds like the original lineup.  Nothing.

That being said......some stuff after the implosion is decent, like Lightning Strikes Again.

Erase the Slate sounds nothing like "classic" Dokken......but it's absolutely fantastic.

Most of the rest of it is a pale imitation of a reflection of a shadow.

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:37 pm

Yeah, they will never match the majesty of those first 4 albums when the original members were together.

Having said that, Don Dokken's first solo album, "Up From the Ashes" is fantastic! Just as good (or better) than anything done with George Lynch. John Norum from Europe is playing guitar. So it's like a cross between Europe and classic Dokken. Incredible album. Incredible.

If you are looking for a similar sound to those early Dokken albums, you must simply get a copy of "Up from the Ashes" by Don Dokken.

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:38 pm

I agree with others. If you really hold those 80s albums in high regard (as I do), then you will be disappointed by everything since. People are recommending "Lightning Strikes Again"...meh, it's an okay album. It's certainly the most classic sounding of their post-80s albums. But truly, when I want Dokken, I'm pulling out of those 80s records. "Back For The Attack", to me, is one of the all-time greatest albums by any band. George Lynch puts a clinic on guitar solos on that record with melodic and scorching solos and tons and tons of solo fills (which seems a lost art to today's metal bands). The bass and drums were perfect on that album. The drums, especially, had that big 80s reverb which gave the songs more power. And Don himself was still near his peak at that point. The songwriting was excellent, and they stayed away from any of the cliched sexual lyrics that were so common in other bands of the time.

(Can you tell I'm a Dokken fan boy??? Metal 3 )
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by 11razorwire Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:59 pm

RavenWolf wrote:Don Dokken's first solo album, "Up From the Ashes" is fantastic! Just as good (or better) than anything done with George Lynch...you must simply get a copy of "Up from the Ashes" by Don Dokken.

RavenWolf speaks the truth. I have this album and it's simply great.
11razorwire
11razorwire
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:22 pm

Yeah..I love the Don Dokken solo album "Up From The Ashes"..in my opinion every bit as good as Dokken band albums...To me Don is Dokken..Not Lynch.. And this solo album proved it to me...I have never cared for anything else lynch has done since he left Dokken...including lynch mob...

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:26 pm

Wholeheartedly agree about Don Dokken's solo album "Up From The Ashes".  FANTASTIC album! Favorite song:

Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:30 pm

If you can find it (it took me almost a year to find a copy I could afford) Check out the original EP...Back In The Streets...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:06 pm

Savage Amusement wrote:Yeah..I love the Don Dokken solo album "Up From The Ashes"..in my opinion every bit as good as Dokken band albums...To me Don is Dokken..Not Lynch.. And this solo album proved it to me...I have never cared for anything else lynch has done since he left Dokken...including lynch mob...

Yup! I am a Don Dokken fan! I never cared much for Lynch Mob or anything George has done since Dokken! Whereas, Don has some great stuff!

Too bad John Norum and Don never put an actual band together. That album they did together is just magical! Up there with "Back for the Attack" Primo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down