The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Bowie

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

David Bowie Empty David Bowie

Post by Guest Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:19 am

Those who know me fairly well know I am a huge huge huge HUGE David Bowie fan.

I just read this morning that on January 8th 2016  which is his birthday, he will be releasing a new album "BlackStar" the self titled single will be released on 11/20

I am very excited about this. He didn't tour with the Next Day but I hope HOPE he does a tour with this release (though unlikely but still can hope)

Any Favorite Bowie albums, songs, experiences?

Lets discuss

Back to top Go down

David Bowie Empty Re: David Bowie

Post by Guest Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:35 pm

I'm a casual fan of David Bowie! I have his Greatest Hits plus I have "Labyrinth Soundtrack".

My daughter is a HUGE fan! And she's only 4 years old. David Bowie is by far her favorite artist! It all started because of her love for the movie, "Labyrinth". She watches that movie at least once a week.

I like pretty much every era of Bowie. His 70s stuff is very good. Very Art Rock and Glam Rock in nature. Though by and large, David Bowie is a Pop Rock artist, he's not a sell out type of artist. He's very true to his roots and his convictions.

I'd like to get more of his stuff, and I'm sure that will happen in time.

My absolute favorites from him are his early 80s songs, "Let's Dance" and "China Girl", I guess that is more his New Wave era. Anyway - I like it. I know it's been overplayed on radio too, but who cares?? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:09 am

RavenWolf wrote:I'm a casual fan of David Bowie! I have his Greatest Hits plus I have "Labyrinth Soundtrack".

My daughter is a HUGE fan! And she's only 4 years old. David Bowie is by far her favorite artist! It all started because of her love for the movie, "Labyrinth". She watches that movie at least once a week.

I like pretty much every era of Bowie. His 70s stuff is very good. Very Art Rock and Glam Rock in nature. Though by and large, David Bowie is a Pop Rock artist, he's not a sell out type of artist. He's very true to his roots and his convictions.

I'd like to get more of his stuff, and I'm sure that will happen in time.

My absolute favorites from him are his early 80s songs, "Let's Dance" and "China Girl", I guess that is more his New Wave era. Anyway - I like it. I know it's been overplayed on radio too, but who cares?? Smile
Ive been telling you for years bro to get LOW  your love of synthpop I dont think you would be disappointed. Also maybe Scary Monsters & Super Creeps (think thats the name of it, came out in 1980)

I think with some of his work it was ahead of it's time, I loved his last album so naturally I am very pumped for this. 

I wouldnt call him a pop rock artist, He's a Icon, a legend well he's freakin David Bowie Man! (best english accent)

seriously he is awesome, and your daughter has awesome taste Smile

Last edited by Aaron C on Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cuz I is crusty)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:42 pm

Yeah, "Low" is very good! I checked it out! Need to acquire it though. I will in time.

I still say I love his early 80s stuff best though.

You're right, some of his stuff in that era was ahead of it's time. He inspired many others though who carried the torch. Depeche Mode was HIGHLY influenced by Bowie! As were countless others who made their mark later ... carrying the same torch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:08 pm

My Go-To David Bowie albums in no paticular order

Diamond Dogs
Ziggy Stardust
Low
The Next Day
Earthling

Yeah he has inspired alot of artists, Depeche Mode, Scott Weiland, Cherie Currie to name a few

I think the 70s stuff is my favorite. Some of the 80s stuff like Lets Dance, Modern Love, China Girl got a bit overplayed for my liking.  I still like these songs but I do get tired of them being played. I say to my wife anytime one of these pops up on an 80s station Im like Why cant they play Ashes to Ashes? or Black Tie White Noise? though I think that last one is 1990 I could be wrong.

Seeing him live and or meeting him is on my bucket list. He's been such an inspiration to me creatively. Would love it if I got to see him live.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:16 pm

Yeah, I'd love to see David Bowie live. I thought there'd be more Bowie fans here. I know Jimmy Brown is a huge Bowie fan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:01 pm

Yup Jimmy Brown is a huge Bowie fan, it was so cool to get to chat all things Bowie with him Smile

Cherie Currie of the Runaways is also a huge fan of David Bowie

Scott Weiland is also a Bowie fan, he's covered Fame and Jean Genie. It was cool to hear Jean Genie live 

I am anxious to hear his new album, the new single comes out in a couple of weeks i believe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:39 pm

Yeah, "Black Star" is a cool name!

When I took my kids trick or treating on Halloween, we were listening to "Labyrinth Soundtrack"! It was great Halloween music!

pirat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:09 pm

Black Star is supposed to be very different than his past efforts, some say its going to have a hip hop flair to it. We shall see, I mean Young Americans was his Motown influenced album. A true musical explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:53 pm

I just saw the cover of the new "Blackstar" album at Amazon. Looks interesting. Hip Hoppy looking actually. We shall see.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:54 pm

Do I dare to hope for a tour? (id love to see him live)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:31 am

2nd Single from Blackstar is supposed to be released today

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:59 pm

Have you heard it yet?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:47 am

Not yet  I havent maybe one day

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:52 am

Aaron, have you heard Jupiter VI? Not really like Bowie but kind of because Jimmy sings in that Bowie tone on that album. Actually, more like Pink Floyd than Bowie but it reminds me of both.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:05 am

Yup Ive been a J6 fan since it's inception, in fact I remember when Jimmy was recording the first album I would yahoo chat with him on occassion and he gave me a demo of one of the songs. I have the first album and an album that was to follow up but never saw the light of day. I have yet to get moveable walls but from what ive heard I love it.  Wasting Away which was originally done by my friend's band Sombrance with Jimmy on Bass and BGVs is an awesome listen. www.sombrance.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:20 am

Cool! Did not know it was a cover song, watching the video of it now.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:27 am

Yup On the last Deliverance album they covered another song by Sombrance I cant remember the name of it off the top of my head, Jimmy's good friends with it's founder (who is also a friend of mine)

Do you know the story behind the inception of J6? John (Tink as he was known on the boards) did an interview years ago with Jimmy talking about J6 (as it was brand new at that time)

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:49 am

I believe I read about it somewhere but don't remember all the details. Movable Walls is an awesome disc you should pick it up sometime when you have some extra $$.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:19 pm

Its high on my acquisition list. I think I bought one track off of it from Itunes plus I was given the Wasting Away track. I would like to hear Message From Home to see how it is compared to the version I got.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:19 pm

I like some of Bowies stuff...I loved the album "Lets Dance" and I like the song Rebel Rebel but my favorite track (one in my top non-metal list of all time) is ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:39 am

is blank?

(Video doesnt show for me)

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:20 pm

Aaron C wrote:is blank?

(Video doesnt show for me)
Fame! Video worked for me.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:44 pm

I think its cuz im posting from Work but Fame is a good song, though barely scratches the surface of David Bowie's music.

Some of my favs....

Wild is the Wind (station to station)
Always Crashing In the Same Car (Low)
Starman (Ziggy Stardust)
Drive in Saturday (Aladdin Sane)
Sweet Thing (Diamond Dogs)
Im Afraid of Americans (Earthling)
Life on Mars (Hunky Dory)

just some hehe

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:31 pm