The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heaven

+8
Grindboy
Deepfriar
MegaNorm64
d@v!d
WildWorld
sentient 6
messiaen77
ThomasEversole
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Heaven Empty Heaven

Post by ThomasEversole Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:32 am

What do you think heaven will be like?

I know there's a handful of "hints" in scripture regarding scenery and our new "bodies"...
...but it seems the rest is almost entirely speculation.

I got to thinking of this because of a very vivid dream I had a few nights ago.

A few questions come to mind:
- What will we know? Will we remember our time on earth? If so, how much will we remember?
- Will we "own" anything in heaven? ...like have possessions?
- Assuming we'll maintain our gender in heaven, will there be sex?
- Will there be new births in heaven or will heaven be a set number for eternity?
- Will there be animals in heaven? ...more specifically, animals we had?
- Will heaven be serious, or humorous? Emotional ranges?
- Is there free-will in heaven?

This is a ground for volunteering ideas and information, not disputing them.
Theology should not be taken out of its sheath, let alone wielded.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Heaven Empty Re: Heaven

Post by messiaen77 Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:04 am

How do we talk about these things without delving into theology?
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:23 pm

messiaen77 wrote:How do we talk about these things without delving into theology?
I was going to say something along those lines myself.....

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:18 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:This is a ground for volunteering ideas and information, not disputing them.

Is what's mentioned in this quote too much to ask for?
Can the Christians here not talk about ANY Christian topic without it being a Bible fight? What's wrong with this place?

Why don't we all (especially me) go about just this thread with a take what you like and leave the rest mentality? It's not like being wrong about what heaven is like spells damnation or that any of us REALLY know a firsthand perspective about this.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:46 pm

The only grounds I have as a Christian to discuss such things is the Word of God as revealed in the scriptures.....so just to start off..

The issue of sex and related themes might be answered by Jesus here...

Matthew 22:29-32English Standard Version (ESV)
29 But Jesus answered them, “You are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God. 30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:15 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:
ThomasEversole wrote:This is a ground for volunteering ideas and information, not disputing them.

Is what's mentioned in this quote too much to ask for?
Can the Christians here not talk about ANY Christian topic without it being a Bible fight? What's wrong with this place?

Why don't we all (especially me) go about just this thread with a take what you like and leave the rest mentality? It's not like being wrong about what heaven is like spells damnation or that any of us REALLY know a firsthand perspective about this.
Apparently you werent here when there was a theology realm, you make valid point but there was barely a thread that would go by (from my tenure here in 2002-2006) without it devolving.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:23 pm

I often wonder about Heaven too. Good topic.

I wonder why people here cannot discuss this without fighting? How sad. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:26 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:

The problem isn't that complicated. There just isn't much unity among Christians here in regards to what they believe and what their source of authority for that belief. And honestly, I've always been interested in question of why that is.

So, our choices are to keep things secular and only disagree about stuff like what " punk rock is " or talk about other things knowing about vastly different beliefs going into it.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:31 pm

I think the answer to that is obvious in which different views, opinions, personalities, etc are bound to clash.

Last edited by Aaron C on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Hit send too soon)

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:33 pm

RavenWolf wrote:
I wonder why people here cannot discuss this without fighting? How sad. Sad

I haven't noticed fighting. But I'm sure people are unsure what is safe to talk about when " theology " has been banned here.

To the topic, I believe our minds cannot fathom what Heaven will be like. Much in the same way our limited minds cannot fathom the misery and torment of The Lake of Fire. But I do believe in essence Heaven is worshipping and enjoying God for all eternity. I believe we will truly be satisfied with God alone and will not even care one once for the things we cared about here on earth.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:01 pm

Im thinking it'll be exactly like the Garden of Eden before the fall.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:07 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:What do you think heaven will be like?

I know there's a handful of "hints" in scripture regarding scenery and our new "bodies"...

- What will we know?  Will we remember our time on earth?  If so, how much will we remember?
- Will we "own" anything in heaven?  ...like have possessions?
- Will there be new births in heaven or will heaven be a set number for eternity?
- Will there be animals in heaven?  ...more specifically, animals we had?
- Will heaven be serious, or humorous?  Emotional ranges?

I hope my answer doesn't get the thread locked. This is one of my favorite discussions.

Q: What will we know?  Will we remember our time on earth?  If so, how much will we remember?
A: We will remember all of our time on earth. The only reason we don't remember things now is because our brain is part of a fallen body in a fallen world and it does not have 100% ability to bring forth everything that it captures.

Q: Will we "own" anything in heaven?  ...like have possessions?
A: I believe we will. We will have a heavenly body so clothing would be one possession.

Q: Assuming we'll maintain our gender in heaven, will there be sex?
A: I don't see why not. Why would God forbid us to populate the heavenly realms?

Q: Will there be new births in heaven or will heaven be a set number for eternity?
A: If my answer for the above question is correct, then yes, there will be births.

Q: Will there be animals in heaven?  ...more specifically, animals we had?
A: Yes, I believe there will be animals in heaven. No, they will not be the ones we had on earth.

Q: Will heaven be serious, or humorous?  Emotional ranges?
A: Both. We will have our personalities and our ups and downs. God has sadness in heaven right now, so will we.

Q: Is there free-will in heaven?
A: Absolutely

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:11 pm

WildWorld wrote:Im thinking it'll be exactly like the Garden of Eden before the fall.

That's exactly what I think!

sunny

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:15 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
The problem isn't that complicated. There just isn't much unity among Christians here in regards to what they believe and what their source of authority for that belief. And honestly, I've always been interested in question of why that is.

I have two theories as to why there is so much fighting here.

1) There are people who are willing to set opinions aside just to keep peace, and there are people who are willing to smash peace into tiny fragments just to correct someone who's opinion is wrong. There just happens to be a large amount of the latter group here.

2) There is a dark presence here that fuels our fighting and tries to distance from Christ and each other.

Since Sentient 6 contributed scripture to the thread, I'd like to do the same.

2 Corinthians 12:2 (NIV)

"I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know--God knows."

Obviously if a 3rd heaven is mentioned, there must be a 1st and 2nd...
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:21 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:What do you think heaven will be like?

- What will we know?  Will we remember our time on earth?  If so, how much will we remember?
- Will we "own" anything in heaven?  ...like have possessions?
- Will there be animals in heaven?  ...more specifically, animals we had?
- Will heaven be serious, or humorous?  Emotional ranges?

It will be the greatest place I've ever been; a place where my sin isn't and no longer clouds my vision of God so that I may worship Him to all my capacity.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:29 pm

Thomas wrote: "1) There are people who are willing to set opinions aside just to keep peace, and there are people who are willing to smash peace into tiny fragments just to correct someone who's opinion is wrong. There just happens to be a large amount of the latter group here."

----------------------------------------------------------------

That makes sense. I was just wondering why. I guess when you have those that want to force their opinions and are willing to risk the peace of the place ... that is the problem.

Personally, I'm of the first group. I'm willing to set opinions aside just to keep peace. I guess if most of the folks here were like this we could have theology discussions and it would be alright. But in the meantime, maybe we could just pray and seek peace for this place. 

... perhaps such a time will come to this place.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:42 pm

RavenWolf wrote:Thomas wrote: "1) There are people who are willing to set opinions aside just to keep peace, and there are people who are willing to smash peace into tiny fragments just to correct someone who's opinion is wrong. There just happens to be a large amount of the latter group here."

----------------------------------------------------------------

That makes sense. I was just wondering why. I guess when you have those that want to force their opinions and are willing to risk the peace of the place ... that is the problem.

Personally, I'm of the first group. I'm willing to set opinions aside just to keep peace. I guess if most of the folks here were like this we could have theology discussions and it would be alright. But in the meantime, maybe we could just pray and seek peace for this place. 

... perhaps such a time will come to this place.

It's one thing to judge a person and another to critique their ideas. Unfortunately, many in the Body of Christ mistake idea critique as a personal attack. I love all of you as brothers even though some of your beliefs are wrong. I'm sure some here feel the same way about me and my beliefs.

I'm willing to fellowship with brothers of different beliefs. Are others?

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:44 pm

I like your answers Adam. (its hard to imagine heaven not being mind-blowingly great regardless of what its really like)
Is there a scriptural resource for your answers? Some of them did spark more questions though. HAHA!!

Adam wrote:
A: I believe we will. We will have a heavenly body so clothing would be one possession.

Clothing on earth came about from man's sin and to cover the shame of their nakedness.
...does that mean since we have no shame/sin in heaven, our clothing will be revealing?
(like Victoria's Secret angels? LOL)

Adam wrote:
A: I don't see why not. Why would God forbid us to populate the heavenly realms?

I agree - especially since I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be "genderless" in heaven. Sentient 6's post pretty straight forward says there will be no marriage in heaven. I guess I never thought of that being an Earth-only "rule".

That's thought provoking!

Adam wrote:
A: Yes, I believe there will be animals in heaven. No, they will not be the ones we had on earth.

Why won't our pets on earth be in heaven with us?
I've always thought it presumptuous that humans equate "soul" with "intelligence" and/or "self awareness". They're made of matter just like we are. I don't see any scripture stating that animals DON'T have souls, and even though this is out of context, I'd like to think this verse supports the idea to some degree...

"... with God, all things are possible." (Matthew 19:26, NIV)

...but again, I don't really know. You could very well be absolutely right.

Adam wrote:
A: Both. We will have our personalities and our ups and downs. God has sadness in heaven right now, so will we.

Sadness in heaven? So Revelation 21:4 won't kick in until we get there?
I'm not disputing that, I'm just a little confused. Does someone have an explanation?

Adam wrote:

Will my brother and I laugh at the same jokes though? (I really doubt it. HAHA!!)
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:54 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:I like your answers Adam.  (its hard to imagine heaven not being mind-blowingly great regardless of what its really like)
Is there a scriptural resource for your answers?  Some of them did spark more questions though.  HAHA!!

Adam wrote:

Clothing on earth came about from man's sin and to cover the shame of their nakedness.
...does that mean since we have no shame/sin in heaven, our clothing will be revealing?
(like Victoria's Secret angels?  LOL)

Adam wrote:

I agree - especially since I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be "genderless" in heaven.  Sentient 6's post pretty straight forward says there will be no marriage in heaven.  I guess I never thought of that being an Earth-only "rule".

Adam wrote:

Why won't our pets on earth be in heaven with us?
I've always thought it presumptuous that humans equate "soul" with "intelligence" and/or "self awareness".  They're made of matter just like we are.  I don't see any scripture stating that animals DON'T have souls, and even though this is out of context, I'd like to think this verse supports the idea to some degree...

...but again, I don't really know.  You could very well be absolutely right.

Adam wrote:

Sadness in heaven?  So Revelation 21:4 won't kick in until we get there?
I'm not disputing that, I'm just a little confused.  Does someone have an explanation?

Adam wrote:

Will my brother and I laugh at the same jokes though?  (I really doubt it.  HAHA!!)

TE: Clothing on earth came about from man's sin and to cover the shame of their nakedness.
A: Hmmm, let me think on that awhile

TE: I agree - especially since I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be "genderless" in heaven.  Sentient 6's post pretty straight forward says there will be no marriage in heaven.  I guess I never thought of that being an Earth-only "rule".

A: S6's post was regarding the New Jerusalem which will be on earth. Heaven is a different place.

TE: Why won't our pets on earth be in heaven with us?
I've always thought it presumptuous that humans equate "soul" with "intelligence" and/or "self awareness".  They're made of matter just like we are.  I don't see any scripture stating that animals DON'T have souls, and even though this is out of context, I'd like to think this verse supports the idea to some degree...

...but again, I don't really know.  You could very well be absolutely right.
A: Animals do have a soul, otherwise they would not have personality and the ability to make judgment calls like sitting when being commanded to sit. However, they do not have a spirit, so they would not have a resurrection.

TE: Sadness in heaven?  So Revelation 21:4 won't kick in until we get there?
I'm not disputing that, I'm just a little confused.  Does someone have an explanation?
A: Again, Revelation 21:4 is talking about the New Jerusalem, which will be on the new earth. Heaven is a different place.

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:03 pm

Adam wrote:
It's one thing to judge a person and another to critique their ideas. Unfortunately, many in the Body of Christ mistake idea critique as a personal attack.

I can see why its easily mistaken.  Communication isn't just delivery, its interpretation.  Here's a scenario:

You're walking on the sidewalk in town, and a guy coming the other way has his tie tucked into his button down shirt.
You say, "Hey man, you're tie is stuck in your shirt."

Does he say "Oh, thanks!" and fix it?
Or does he say, "WTF are you trying to point out that I don't know how to dress myself?" or "Why is this any of your business?"
His response is up to him, but this day and age in this culture - I'd bet on the latter response.

My response in this situation, I would not say anything other than a friendly hello - as not to potentially open that can of worms.
I think a lot of modern Christians try to be noble (with just a touch of ego) and don't really mean harm, but...

...you can't go around correcting folks you don't know, even if you are doing them a favor.

If someone has Christ in their heart, how much does it really matter if someone views this doctrine or that doctrine differently?  
THAT is a bigger problem here than we realize.

Adam wrote:
I love all of you as brothers even though some of your beliefs are wrong. I'm sure some here feel the same way about me and my beliefs.

Being right or wrong is the wrong way to look at it I think.
My parents have been married 37 years and have both told me the same thing in regards to not seeing eye to eye with each other.
This has also been fodder for standup comedians discussing relationships as well.

"I can either be right, or I can be happy.  Being right is overrated."
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:12 pm

Adam wrote:
A: Hmmm, let me think on that awhile

Revealing clothes makes sense though. Its not like it will be dirty.

Adam wrote:
A: S6's post was regarding the New Jerusalem which will be on earth. Heaven is a different place.

You lost me bro.

Adam wrote:
A: Animals do have a soul, otherwise they would not have personality and the ability to make judgment calls like sitting when being commanded to sit. However, they do not have a spirit, so they would not have a resurrection.

You lost me again.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:19 pm

I love this rap. I wouldn't mind a metal version too.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:43 pm

I'm new here. So I'm not sure what each of your beliefs are. And because of the lack of any spiritual discussions, I'll probably never know.

However, I used to view things a lot differently than I do now. I used to view things ... right and wrong. But there are SO MANY Christians who are convinced that 'their' way is right! How does anyone really know? The Bible itself can be interpreted in thousands of different ways!

What matters most to me is Jesus. And I think we can all here agree ... Jesus is what matters most! And Metal is important to all of us too ... so Jesus and Metal. Wow. That's two major things to have in common folks! I'm thankful to have fellowship with friends who believe in Jesus and who love Metal!

I personally don't care what denomination anyone is from. You could be Catholic, Mormon, Protestant (like me), or even Orthodox Christian, and I really don't care!!! Not only that ... but I'm not even convinced that I'm right anymore!!! When I was young I was SO convinced that I was RIGHT!!! Who cares? I may be wrong. Perhaps I should turn Catholic, or Mormon!

For right now I'm Protestant, but I'm not sure I'm right and neither should anyone else! Do we worship 'religion/denomination' or do we worship JESUS???

Nothing else really matters to me!

I hope that all made sense. I was having a bit of trouble 'articulating' what I was trying to say.

I'm new here and I have a feeling a LOT of stuff happened here that I am not at all aware of.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:47 pm

We should all be truthseekers.

There is only one way of salvation, and that's through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ and our belief in Him as risen Lord.

That's black and white. We're all either right or wrong on that matter. There is no in betweens or maybes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:49 pm

On the topic Its not something ive thought about since i was a teenager. I will find out when I get there I guess is my stance.  I attribute this discussion to that of how the world began. In the way it would be cool to know but not detrimental in my walk with my Lord and Savior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next