The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

45 Years Ago Today Black Sabbath Released "Paranoid"

+9
Throne of thorns
Samson
Machine Fish
deathisgain
pathogenics_cloned_twin83
d@v!d
WildWorld
ThomasEversole
PlaceOfASkull
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

45 Years Ago Today Black Sabbath Released "Paranoid" Empty 45 Years Ago Today Black Sabbath Released "Paranoid"

Post by PlaceOfASkull Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:38 pm

I like the others songs on the album that the radio doesn't play.
I'm still burned out on the hits.

PlaceOfASkull
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

45 Years Ago Today Black Sabbath Released "Paranoid" Empty Re: 45 Years Ago Today Black Sabbath Released "Paranoid"

Post by ThomasEversole Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:16 pm

...and 45 years later, "Iron Man" is still the only song I've heard from the album.  
(and I haven't even heard the song from the album itself, I just know the tune from my highschool friends trying to play it on guitar.  Emphasis on trying.)

I also never understood the "X years ago today" nostalgia of an album release...
Especially for something that isn't even metal.

Last edited by ThomasEversole on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

45 Years Ago Today Black Sabbath Released "Paranoid" Empty Re: 45 Years Ago Today Black Sabbath Released "Paranoid"

Post by Guest Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:21 pm

Was I conceived to this album?

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:39 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:...and 45 years later, "Iron Man" is still the only song I've heard from the album.  
(and I haven't even heard the song from the album itself, I just know the tune from my highschool friends trying to play it on guitar.  Emphasis on trying.)

I also never understood the "X years ago today" nostalgia of an album release...
Did you just imply Sabbath arent metal? If you dont like Sabbath thats fine, but claiming its not metal is ignoring facts. That would be like claiming that the Ramones arent punk.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:11 am

LOL
Even Ozzy told CNN that Black Sabbath wasn't metal.
http://loudwire.com/ozzy-osbourne-not-attached-to-term-heavy-metal/

Of course they Internet cites them as the founders of metal, and why wouldn't the founders of metal be metal themselves right?

Here's what has happened. All the longtimer metal heads love Black Sabbath because they grew up listening to it, and they love metal so therefore black sabbath is metal. Sprinkle in "because 45 years said so" to smash any rebuttal...

I'm not the only one with this opinion either by the way...

Let the dissection of the link I posted and the twisting begin!!  Mad
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:39 am

One might argue their their first albums were proto-metal. But certainly they have become a metal band since.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:41 am

ThomasEversole wrote:...and 45 years later, "Iron Man" is still the only song I've heard from the album.  

You ought to take a listen. Great music and some surprisingly thoughtful lyrics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgz__d0VC5k&list=PLAb2lmNIYk_6tn554W4Dl4Iy18kME3IxK
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:42 am

Luv this version.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by pathogenics_cloned_twin83 Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:25 pm

Great album...especially the mellow 'Planet Caravan'. Oddly enough my least favorite track is 'Iron Man' which I'm sure is some heavy metal travesty, but oh well.
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://www.facebook.com/#!/derrick.williams.5667

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:30 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:Here's what has happened. All the longtimer metal heads love Black Sabbath because they grew up listening to it, and they love metal so therefore black sabbath is metal. Sprinkle in "because 45 years said so" to smash any rebuttal...

Actually a lot of people called them metal back then as well as groups like Zeppelin and such. I like Creedence Clearwater Revival AND I like metal, but I don't call CCR metal.

Any metal historian will tell you that Black Sabbath is one of (if not THEE) founding fathers of metal.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:21 pm

d@v!d wrote:

You ought to take a listen. Great music and some surprisingly thoughtful lyrics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgz__d0VC5k&list=PLAb2lmNIYk_6tn554W4Dl4Iy18kME3IxK

I'm sorry. I can't get into this.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:03 am

deathisgain wrote:
Any metal historian will tell you that Black Sabbath is one of (if not THEE) founding fathers of metal.

Metal historians?

Do metal historians ignore documentation, because obviously the link I posted what Ozzy said was.

Will this link be ignored too?
http://www.blacksabbath.com/history.html

It says they are credited with creating metal.  I agree with that.
Because of Black Sabbath, the term "Heavy Metal" came into popular vocabulary.  I agree with that.
Black Sabbath subject matter paved the way for metal asthetics.  I agree with that.

That doesn't make them metal.  ...in fact, I don't get why its so hard to comprehend that a rock band founded and created metal.

If you read that link, you'll know that its not just Ozzy from Black Sabbath that squirm away from the "metal" term.  
Allow me to paste some terms verbatim from the http://www.blacksabbath.com/history.html link, to save you the trip:

- They claimed to mark a paradigm shift in the world of rock,
- being a more thunderous offshoot of rock,
- eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995 (but not inducted until 2006),
- one of the most misunderstood bands in rock history,
- describe the group as having riff-driven, blues-based hard rock
- "Black Sabbath" and "Paranoid".....were powerful works that pointed rock in a harder, heavier new direction

You know, I'm more than willing to agree to disagree.  I'm not going to (nor am I willing to) overcome years of a stubborn collective mis-diagnosis in a series of post wars.  

...just please don't respond like I'm crazy because of why I think they're rock.  
Even the band themselves say they're rock.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:02 am

Well, labels can be interesting. For example, Quiet Riot refer to themeselves as metal in their biggest hit, "Metal Health", yet there are people who claim they werent metal, just "hard rock" (and thats the nicest thing they've said). Of course, that opens up the whole "is glam/hair/pop metal real metal" debate, but i'd rather set up a seperate thread for that.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:20 pm

I listened to that Metal Health.  (never heard it before - did they borrow ACDC's drummer? One-trick-bass-snare-)

I would agree that's not metal, but a rock song about metal isn't confusing to me.

Labels are interesting, and can perhaps change?  More and more new music comes out and since all the fresh water has been drank before, bands hybridize for originality.  ...with that comes the hybrid terms.

Pop Metal isn't "Heavy Metal", its a mix of metal and pop elements.

Its questionable to me that today's rock bands are "heavier" than metal from 30 years ago, or perhaps the labels have changed entirely.  My wife listens to country and there's a few bands she likes that have an amazing amount of muscle.  (for this thread, I'm calling "muscle" distorted instruments, powerful drumming and aggressive vocals)

If it weren't for the cowboy hat and twangy singing, I would have thought it was a rock band.

I think what a band calls their own music SHOULD hold some weight.  I hear what's death metal influences in Marduk albums, but they call it black metal - ok, black metal is what it is folks.  Obviously, I feel the same way about Black Sabbath.  Some bands coin their own names to avoid labels (like Him being Love Metal) - to me, they are rather "rocky", but if they're sound like they're on the line between rock and metal and call themselves metal, hey, I won't argue.  Its their band.

I don't know what every band considers their style, but to me there are obvious classifications.
Most people consider Metallica, Megadeath and Slayer to be thrash.  I would call Metallica and Megadeath "heavy metal".  

SLAYER is definitely thrash.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Machine Fish Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:07 pm

I like every song on this album. Classic. By the way has anyone watched the Metal Evolution mini series? Black Sabbath was one of the early mentions of the name Heavy Metal, but several bands from the states before Black Sabbath had been called "metal" before them. For example, Dick Dale and his surf-rock craziness had been called out by reviewers who said "it's like a train carrying heavy metals bearing down on you."

But anyway, people tend to get so bogged down in the genre game. I personally don't care, and when I'm tagging my music collections, I tend to either generalize genres down to basic names, or make my own sub-genres. I love that about music though, being able to personalize it to my own tastes, ah subjective.

But anyways, Paranoid is a classic album. Metal 2
Machine Fish
Machine Fish
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://linktr.ee/nathanKmcwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by Samson Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:18 pm

*Murdock reads this thread*

*Murdock's head explodes*
Samson
Samson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:49 am

Indeed this is a very good and often overlooked Black Sabbath album. One of my favorites with Ozzy!

And yeah, Black Sabbath is definitely Heavy Metal heheh. That's funny someone would think they weren't.
Metal 3

Rolf 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:16 am

Wow let me be the first to say you must listen to those early Sabbath albums or just Sabbath altogether. A lot of people think they are a simple band because they have only heard Paranoid and Iron man or maybe first couple of albums. You have lots to listen and learn from in Sabbath They became a very progressive band. Paranoid album is a classic of course and the first is awesome but there is so much more to Sabbath than those two albums and or songs.
Throne of thorns
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:24 am

I don't own this album, but I decided to conduct a little experiment.  I looked up the track list and found that I know every song on it. In my opinion, that would make it a classic and also something to be nostalgic about. Now I'm wondering how I managed to never buy this album.   scratch
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:04 pm

Paranoid is an awesome album, Love the song Planet Caravan

the release date is shared by alot of diff albums through the years

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:21 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:
d@v!d wrote:

I'm sorry.  I can't get into this.
It's alright.

But what about the Dickies version?
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:11 pm

RavenWolf wrote:And yeah, Black Sabbath is definitely Heavy Metal heheh. That's funny someone would think they weren't.
Metal 3
Rolf 1

Go laugh at the band then.

Throne of thorns wrote:
Wow let me be the first to say you must listen to those early Sabbath albums or just Sabbath altogether. A lot of people think they are a simple band because they have only heard Paranoid and Iron man or maybe first couple of albums. You have lots to listen and learn from in Sabbath They became a very progressive band. Paranoid album is a classic of course and the first is awesome but there is so much more to Sabbath than those two albums and or songs.

I've heard enough to realize that they're not a simple band.  I can understand their appeal.
I have NOTHING to learn from them though.
Compared to what I listen to (and play) this music is way too alien.

That goes for any hard rock.

Machine Fish wrote:
But anyway, people tend to get so bogged down in the genre game. I personally don't care, and when I'm tagging my music collections, I tend to either generalize genres down to basic names, or make my own sub-genres.

Labels are never for the dedicated listener and their personal collections.  Of course no one cares what they listen to is called - if they know it and like it.
Labels come in when you explore new libraries.  If I'm scouting new music, I'd like to explore the genres I'm looking for, to see if there's something I like.

I don't listen to Sabbath.  Obviously.  
I don't think I've ever heard a Led Zeplin song.  I've heard Twisted Sister like on two YouTube videos?  Dio I know was a band.  The first Styper song I heard was from their new album.  I don't even know what other bands to mention!  Anything 70's to 90's that was called "hard rock" or "heavy metal", I know nothing about other than a commercial or someone else's radio or a picture.

That being said, its really frustrating for someone to say its "heavy metal" and
being curious because I'm NOT familiar with it, I quickly find out that 1) the band says its rock 2) rock culture says its rock and 3) I listen to it and its OBVIOUSLY rock and NOT METAL.

You might as well say:
Check out my favorite Christian metal band from the 80's!!!  Here's their video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:00 am

I bet you're a real downer at parties.  Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:26 am

I find it interesting that you don't seem to listen to any early metal, and yet, seem to quickly judge what is or isn't metal.

It's obvious that any old fart from that era is going to call them selves rock, as that is what everyone was playing and metal was very new. Technically we could say that all modern music is "rock" because that is where it gets it's roots from. Which then gets its roots from blues, which gets its roots from ... you get the picture. Heck, I am pretty certain that Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga consider themselves rock as well, but not a lot of other people would. It's just a silly game. In my itunes Black Sabbath is "metal". \m/
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:19 am

ThomasEversole wrote:I've heard enough to realize that they're not a simple band.  I can understand their appeal.
I have NOTHING to learn from them though.
Fun thing I learned was playing with feedback bending the whammy bar from the Masters of Reality album.
You might as well say:
Check out my favorite Christian metal band from the 80's!!!  Here's their video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Wrong roll, lol
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next