The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is ONWARD TO FREEDOM a Ted Kirkpatrick solo album or a Tourniquet album?

+14
Troublezone
exo
Hardcore Christian
Tobi Elektrik
Airola
Kerrick
messiaen77
deathisgain
Candlemass
lhversaw
Galations6.7
My Awesome Timothy
bodachi
Ted Kirkpatrick
18 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Is ONWARD TO FREEDOM a Ted Kirkpatrick solo album or a Tourniquet album?  - Page 4 Empty Re: Is ONWARD TO FREEDOM a Ted Kirkpatrick solo album or a Tourniquet album?

Post by d@v!d Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:46 am

lhversaw wrote: I heard two very mellow and un Tourniquet but very Ted Solo like samples and therefore Took a pass.  Mike I understand your point.  With that in mind  Your Stryper albums SOUND lyrically and sonicaly like Stryper and your solo stuff sounds sonicaly and lyrically like Micheal Sweet  You don't use one for one agenda and another for a different agenda and then bring the solo agenda and sound into the band which is what bothers me with Ted.
I think you might have a point on a technicality, but really? It's Ted's product. I really don't think you have any place calling him out on how he uses it. Trusting what you say that it is so starkly stylistically divergent from the sum of earlier material published under T, what's the big deal? I mean, we live in a digital age where you can hear samples and with a little searching you can access complete material. It's not like the 70's where you heard a great song on the radio, went out and bought the album to find out you just financed a one hit wonder. I really don't think there's a bait-n-switch here. If you don't like his new material, let him know politely and then move on. Why make a federal case out of it?

Oh, BTW, I do understand the need to vent sometimes.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Is ONWARD TO FREEDOM a Ted Kirkpatrick solo album or a Tourniquet album?  - Page 4 Empty Re: Is ONWARD TO FREEDOM a Ted Kirkpatrick solo album or a Tourniquet album?

Post by messiaen77 Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:14 pm

Ok, quick hitter here and then I'm out.

1.  Larry, no one is trying to convince you to buy the album.  Well, Ted probably is, but ya know, it's his thing.  All we are saying is that it is not fair to judge the musical content of the entire album based on 2 30 second clips. 

2.  You may have a point about using the Tourniquet name to sell the album, but as wired in to the scene as you are, "bait and switch" and "deceptive" is really too much.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:39 pm

It's just an album/some albums/whatever. Is this really worth an argument? Someone needs to start a gay marriage thread to redirect everyone's energy...

Back to top Go down

Post by cailen Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:00 pm

Just my thoughts:

Since Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance

Tourniquet is TedKirkpatriquet. Somehow what Michael Sweet describes.

Ted is writing most of the songs and he is the one who keeps the band going.

And by the way: Onward to freedom rocks.
Compared to the other releases since the third album I probably like it the most
because of the heavy guitarsound and the more agressive vocals.
cailen
cailen
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Galations6.7 Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:43 pm

Gipperman wrote:"Reborn" was both Candlemass. Just like every other album, I wrote it, put it all together and then the guys played it. that's not to take anything away from the other guys but for some reason this is a tough pill for some fans to swallow. 

I'm not sure why but it's reality. Most bands have one person (sometimes two) who put everything together. when they make solo albums you most likely can here this.

I try hard to step outside the "Stryper" box when I do record solo albums. This is why Reborn was so different. It was written as a solo album and even shopped to labels as a solo album. I almost signed with a label. I played the demos for the guys and they loved it. I then suggested that we make it a Stryper album and we did. Basically nothing was changed - nothing! They just played on it and it became a Stryper album.

The same applies to MBP and NMHTP (only those were written with Stryper in mind, not solo).

I added a few songs to my last two solo albums that were geared more towards Stryper (Save Me, The Everafter, Unsuspecting, Taking On The World Tonight, Anybody Else). 

My point is that there is usually someone in each band that does most of what you hear. Ted is the visionary for Tourniquet.

M

Michael,
I do not dispute Ted's or your stamp / sound on your perspective bands musical efforts. The fact is that the "Members" of Tourniquet only played on ONE song each and as YOU stated regarding "Reborn," "They played on it and it became a Stryper album." AND there you go,... just made my point for me. One song each does not make it a "Band" effort. It makes them a guest.

Also, I assure you that MANY of us on here are musicians (professional or otherwise) and have knowledge of band workings and how things go. We are well aware that Ted is the "Main Man" in Tourniquet and that it is HIS band BUT it's still a solo record with the name Tourniquet on it.

Or maybe on the next Stryper album (which I LOVE the bits I've heard so far) you should just name it "Michael Sweet's Stryper?"
Regards,
DAniel
Galations6.7
Galations6.7
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:07 pm

What Ted is doing with his solo project and using the Tourniquet name is really no different than what KISS did with their four solo albums.

I don't see it as a big deal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:18 pm

Airola wrote:Wow, a controversial Tourniquet thread, WITH Michael Sweet writing on it!
Now we only need Steve Rowe to chime in, along with Dale Thompson and a surprise quest writer Roger Martinez, and this would be the forum thread of a lifetime, which would most certainly end up blowing the whole internet up Very Happy
cheers
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:58 pm

..a thought..

A creature must be a sentient being with the the ability to make moral choices to steal, murder or love. Animals were created by God with certain instincts for survival. And some were created with a better ability to adapt to changing circumstances. In a nuttshell, they were created for us to live with, and to rule over. We are stewards of these creatures, and we will have to answer to God in how we rule over them. Will we be just rulers....or corrupt ones as Psalm 82 decries.

Now ( this is very important ), God sets the standard on what their indended use is. Only the Word of God ( God himself ) can dictate our proper use of these creatures. If God commands their sacrifice as a forshadow of the Messiahs sacrifice, then God is regulating that use. If God has made clear instructions on how we may use them for food and clothing, then that should always supercede the sensibilities of sinful mankind. Of course, any cruel and harsh treatment of Gods creation should be repented of and we should have a heart to honor what God has created. These actions are always a outward expression of the wickedness in the heart of man.

Last edited by sentient 6 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Galations6.7 Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:00 pm

sentient 6 wrote:..a thought..

A creature must be a sentient being with the the ability to make moral choices to steal, murder or love. Animals were created by God with certain instincts for survival. And some were created with a better ability to adapt to changing circumstances. In a nuttshell, they were created for us to live with, and to rule over. We are stewards of these creature, and we will have to answer to God in how we rule over them.

Now ( this is very important ), God sets the standard on what their indended use is. Only the Word of God ( God himself ) can dictate our proper use of these creatures. If God commands their sacrifice as a forshadow of the Messiahs sacrifice, then God is regulating that use. If God has made clear instructions on how we may use them for food and clothing, then that should always supercede the sensibilities of sinful mankind. Of course, any cruel and harsh treatment of Gods creation should be repented of and we should have a heart to honor what God has created. These actions are always a outward expression of the wickedness in the heart of man.

Agreed, good thought
Galations6.7
Galations6.7
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by lhversaw Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:03 pm

Galations6.7 wrote:
Gipperman wrote:"Reborn" was both Candlemass. Just like every other album, I wrote it, put it all together and then the guys played it. that's not to take anything away from the other guys but for some reason this is a tough pill for some fans to swallow. 

I'm not sure why but it's reality. Most bands have one person (sometimes two) who put everything together. when they make solo albums you most likely can here this.

I try hard to step outside the "Stryper" box when I do record solo albums. This is why Reborn was so different. It was written as a solo album and even shopped to labels as a solo album. I almost signed with a label. I played the demos for the guys and they loved it. I then suggested that we make it a Stryper album and we did. Basically nothing was changed - nothing! They just played on it and it became a Stryper album.

The same applies to MBP and NMHTP (only those were written with Stryper in mind, not solo).

I added a few songs to my last two solo albums that were geared more towards Stryper (Save Me, The Everafter, Unsuspecting, Taking On The World Tonight, Anybody Else). 

My point is that there is usually someone in each band that does most of what you hear. Ted is the visionary for Tourniquet.

M

Michael,
I do not dispute Ted's or your stamp / sound on your perspective bands musical efforts. The fact is that the "Members" of Tourniquet only played on ONE song each and as YOU stated regarding "Reborn," "They played on it and it became a Stryper album." AND there you go,... just made my point for me. One song each does not make it a "Band" effort. It makes them a guest.

Also, I assure you that MANY of us on here are musicians (professional or otherwise) and have knowledge of band workings and how things go. We are well aware that Ted is the "Main Man" in Tourniquet and that it is HIS band BUT it's still a solo record with the name Tourniquet on it.

Or maybe on the next Stryper album (which I LOVE the bits I've heard so far) you should just name it "Michael Sweet's Stryper?"
Regards,
DAniel
Bingo
lhversaw
lhversaw
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:19 pm

Ted Kirkpatrick wrote: Pathetically, animals are often much better parents than many humans are – or get along better and show kindness to each other, for example.

In the animal world, sometimes the mother will kill and eat their young when sense that their is something wrong with them. Ironically, humans can abort their children if tests are done that show if their will be physical or mental deformities. 

...lesson...we are created in the image of God. Do not destroy or profane Gods image. Do NOT be like the animals. They don't know any better.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:57 pm

Animals are better than persons now? (Such is the insinuation.) Recitation of the PETA creed: EPIC FAIL.  Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:54 pm

Well the topic question has been answered and this thread hasn't been going anywhere good for some time... so it is now locked.

Candlemass wrote:Folks, get yer last thoughts in before trigger happy Exo puts the kabash on this one too!

I beat Exo on this one!  Razz

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:15 pm

Candlemass wrote:I have no issues w/Ted calling this a TqT lp, I'm just so far removed from his views on "animal rights" I wouldn't be able to enjoy the lp on it's lyrical merits,
EXACTLY.

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:18 pm

^One of the perks of being a mod: guaranteed to get the last word in Twisted Evil

...unless two mods disagree... affraid

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4