The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book/study recommendations

5 posters

Go down

Book/study recommendations Empty Book/study recommendations

Post by Gandalf the White Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:57 am

So as I get older, the more I realize I don't know about the Bible. I'm looking to study a few specific topics in the coming year and would like some recommendations. PLEASE DON'T TURN THIS INTO A DEBATE.

The first thing I want to study is eschatology. Will there really be a "rapture"? What does the book of Revelation really mean? Stuff like that.

Any book, study or essay recommendations would be appreciated. And even though I believe openness theology, I would read stuff by those of other persuasions.

Thanks.
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Book/study recommendations Empty Re: Book/study recommendations

Post by sentient 6 Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:42 pm

....mmm.....openness and eschatology...that could get a bit messy.Cool

First, a couple of questons for ya. What aspect of eschatology are you trying to focus on ? How feel do feel about the role of exegesis in studying biblical topics ?
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor_Valconian Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:25 am

Kingdom Come: The Amillennial Alternative by Sam Storms

The Bible and the Future by Anthony A. Hoekema
Professor_Valconian
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Location : In a meeting of the Society who puts things on top of other things

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:58 am

sentient 6 wrote:....mmm.....openness and eschatology...that could get a bit messy.Cool

First, a couple of questons for ya. What aspect of eschatology are you trying to focus on ? How feel do feel about the role of exegesis in studying biblical topics ?

You likely only say that because you don't understand openness theology...

I'm not really focusing on one aspect, to be frank. As far as your exegesis question - I think we should let the Scriptures say what they say... I read stuff by authors of all persuasions but I don't always agree with their view on every verse they mention.

For instance, I enjoyed John Piper's Think - a book about using our mind to meditate and think about God and what it means to love God with all our heart, mind, soul and strength. But, obviously I disagree with his neo-Calvinist views.

So while I don't want some whacko out of left field, I may read it anyway... if nothing else, reading something I disagree with helps me know what I agree with.
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:09 am

Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:38 pm

Is that a for real recommendation Candlemass? I'm not familair with Hanegraff but I'll check it out.
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:58 pm

Sure, you did mention eschatology...
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:13 pm

Thanks.
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:26 am

The Hoekema recommendation is strong.  I haven't read a lot, but that was very good.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:17 pm

Gandalf the White wrote:

I'm not really focusing on one aspect, to be frank. As far as your exegesis question - I think we should let the Scriptures say what they say... I read stuff by authors of all persuasions but I don't always agree with their view on every verse they mention.

For instance, I enjoyed John Piper's Think - a book about using our mind to meditate and think about God and what it means to love God with all our heart, mind, soul and strength. But, obviously I disagree with his neo-Calvinist views.

So while I don't want some whacko out of left field, I may read it anyway... if nothing else, reading something I disagree with helps me know what I agree with.

Maybe I disagree because I understand the open view of God ? Anyway, I say " messy " because I would think it would be hard to reconcile Matt 24:36 with the idea that the future is " open " to God. I think it affects predictive prophecy in the OT and eschatology ( i'm sorry...am I debating ? baaad sentient ) Also, more food for thought. As far as eschatology and revelations, you may want to look at books that deal with the OT ( Daniel, etc ) in light of the revelation. Revelations has so many allusions in the OT that I would think studying the OT would be essential to studying Revelations.

..heres an essay from a Amillennialism POV..

http://www.prca.org/articles/amillennialism.html

..also......Sam Storms Kingdom Come: The Amillennial Alternative...Kim Riddlebarger A case for Amillennialism.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:18 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
Gandalf the White wrote:

Maybe I disagree because I understand the open view of God ? Anyway, I say " messy " because I would think it would be hard to reconcile Matt 24:36 with the idea that the future is " open " to God. I think it affects predictive prophecy in the OT and eschatology ( i'm sorry...am I debating ? baaad sentient ) Also, more food for thought. As far as eschatology and revelations, you may want to look at books that deal with the OT ( Daniel, etc ) in light of the revelation. Revelations has so many allusions in the OT that I would think studying the OT would be essential to studying Revelations.

..heres an essay from a Amillennialism POV..

http://www.prca.org/articles/amillennialism.html

..also......Sam Storms Kingdom Come: The Amillennial Alternative...Kim Riddlebarger A case for Amillennialism.

I don't think you do, really. We openness folks believe that some things are determined and some things aren't. god determined when the hour would be so it isn't hard to reconcile. Maybe check out Greg Boyd's God of the Possible or John Sander's Can God Have a future? Both are much better than explaining it than I.

And thanks for the recommendations.
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:32 pm

Gandalf the White wrote:
I don't think you do, really. We openness folks believe that some things are determined and some things aren't. god determined when the hour would be so it isn't hard to reconcile. Maybe check out Greg Boyd's God of the Possible or John Sander's Can God Have a future? Both are much better than explaining it than I.

Actually those are my list of reading, but but i've had a hard time getting too them for various reasons. I've been focused on Eastern Orthodoxy lately.

...I did see this that seemed interesting for something that presenst two sides at once.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Does_God_have_a_future.html?id=BjgRAQAAIAAJ
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:48 pm

Gandalf the White wrote:
 We openness folks believe that some things are determined and some things aren't.

Ah, but what is the criteria in decided what is determined and what is not ? ( and I ask just so a really understand the thougt process )
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:18 am

sentient 6 wrote:
Gandalf the White wrote:

Actually those are my list of reading, but but i've had a hard time getting too them for various reasons. I've been focused on Eastern Orthodoxy lately.

...I did see this that seemed interesting for something that presenst two sides at once.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Does_God_have_a_future.html?id=BjgRAQAAIAAJ

That's one I mentioned. I just named Sanders because I couldn't remember the other author's name. It's really quite good.
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:38 am

sentient 6 wrote:
Gandalf the White wrote:
 We openness folks believe that some things are determined and some things aren't.

Ah, but what is the criteria in decided what is determined and what is not ? ( and I ask just so a really understand the thougt process )

The criteria is what the Bible says. For instance, the verse you mentioned - no one knows the day or the hour - that's determined.

What time I go to the bathroom next? Not determined. I have complete free will to go as soon as the urge hits, to wait a few minutes or to go in my pants and be completely embarrassed at work.

What kind of car will I buy? Not determined.

When will I buy it? Not determined.

What will I have for lunch? Not determined (although I can think of a few things that sound good since I skipped breakfast Wink ).

What time will I go to bed tonight? Not determined (although this can be interesting if, say, someone else exercises his free will to get drunk and drive then hits my car and kills me on the way home).

When will I pray next? Not determined (by God, at least. I will likely pray before I eat lunch around 12).

Will my unsaved friend at work decide to follow Jesus and come visit my church (and here's where you'll flip a script)? Not determined.

Scripturally, there are many verses where God left the choice up to people, or changed his mind. He told Hezekiah he would die. Hezekiah prayed and asked for more time and God gave him "fifteen years to go", to quote an old country song. He told Abraham he was going to destroy Sodom, until Abraham started asking if God wouldn't if he could find righteous men (some Reformed/Calvinists say that God wasn't going to destroy it in the first place, but that seems rather disingenuous of God). In Genesis 6, God said he regretted creating the human race and decided to destroy everyone but Noah and his family.

That verse from Isaiah, that God knows the end from the beginning, is misinterpreted by many, according to the openness view. God know the end (point Z) and the beginning (point A) but does he know every step in between (point B to point Y)?

Again, this is a snapshot of Openness theology. John Sanders, Gregory Boyd and William Hasker all have books that are more in-depth and explain it much better than I could.
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:18 pm

Gandalf the White wrote:
The criteria is what the Bible says. For instance, the verse you mentioned - no one knows the day or the hour - that's determined.

What time I go to the bathroom next? Not determined. I have complete free will to go as soon as the urge hits, to wait a few minutes or to go in my pants and be completely embarrassed at work.

What kind of car will I buy? Not determined.

When will I buy it? Not determined.

What will I have for lunch? Not determined (although I can think of a few things that sound good since I skipped breakfast Wink ).

What time will I go to bed tonight? Not determined (although this can be interesting if, say, someone else exercises his free will to get drunk and drive then hits my car and kills me on the way home).

When will I pray next? Not determined (by God, at least. I will likely pray before I eat lunch around 12).

Will my unsaved friend at work decide to follow Jesus and come visit my church (and here's where you'll flip a script)? Not determined.

Scripturally, there are many verses where God left the choice up to people, or changed his mind. He told Hezekiah he would die. Hezekiah prayed and asked for more time and God gave him "fifteen years to go", to quote an old country song. He told Abraham he was going to destroy Sodom, until Abraham started asking if God wouldn't if he could find righteous men (some Reformed/Calvinists say that God wasn't going to destroy it in the first place, but that seems rather disingenuous of God). In Genesis 6, God said he regretted creating the human race and decided to destroy everyone but Noah and his family.

That verse from Isaiah, that God knows the end from the beginning, is misinterpreted by many, according to the openness view. God know the end (point Z) and the beginning (point A) but does he know every step in between (point B to point Y)?

Again, this is a snapshot of Openness theology. John Sanders, Gregory Boyd and William Hasker all have books that are more in-depth and explain it much better than I could.

Got it.

...here is a couple debates that show both sides in a fair way.

sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:36 am

Thanks S6. I'll have to watch later, especially that first one. I like John Sanders a lot.
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down