The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any Stavesacre fans?

+5
ludey7
Candlemass
oteis
FreeRangeBeliever
Gandalf the White
9 posters

Go down

Any Stavesacre fans? Empty Any Stavesacre fans?

Post by Gandalf the White Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:52 pm

Well, are there?

I'm a fan of The Crucified and generally when I like a band with someone in it, I check out their other work (Reese Roper from Five Iron Frenzy, Brave Saint Saturn, Roper, Guerilla Rodeo comes to mind, as does Derek Corzine from Syringe, Whisper From Heaven and Corsyns...).

I know they're substantially different but I'm thinking about checking them out....
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Any Stavesacre fans? Empty Re: Any Stavesacre fans?

Post by FreeRangeBeliever Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:11 pm

Yes, I followed all of Stavesacre's career (as i originally was a The Crucified, and Chatterbox fan).

But i've not really been in touch with any movements of Stavesacre since their last ep....i hear they are working on new material...
FreeRangeBeliever
FreeRangeBeliever
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:13 pm

Yes, huge Stavesacre fan here. I've heard everything in their catalog and seen them several times in concert.

Are you looking in getting into their harder rock or the medium stuff?

If harder, go with Friction and Absolutes. I prefer Friction with Absolutes being an extremely close second.

If medium, begin with Speakeasy (often ranked as their best album by fans and critics), then followed by (stāvz'ā'kər), then Bull Takes Fighter and finally How To Live With A Curse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:18 pm

Thanks guys. I'm not picky about how hard it is - just how good it is.

What about that Collective disc? Would that be a good place to start?
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:40 pm

Gandalf the White wrote:Thanks guys. I'm not picky about how hard it is - just how good it is.

What about that Collective disc? Would that be a good place to start?

Yes, Collective is the best place to start then, if you are not concerned with how hard the rock is. It has the best songs from their first four albums. Knowing you, I think you'll particularly enjoy At the Moment and Zzyzx Scarecrow. Definitely read the lyrics while listening if you can.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:48 pm

I recently bought Collective and find it an enjoyable listen. Never listened to Stavesacre before that.

Back to top Go down

Post by oteis Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:50 pm

Some solid stuff. I have most of their albums. I think i like Friction most. I've seen a live reunion show at Legends Of Rock in Germany a few years ago.
oteis
oteis
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:20 pm

"I don't get it"...
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:28 pm

Thanks Adam. I may just buy Friction and start at the beginning...

And why is How to Live... so much at Amazon? It's like $100 used!
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ludey7 Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:49 pm

I love stavesacre.  I think it's the best stuff from Mark Salomon & really showcases how good a musician Jeff Bellew is.  I have often changed my opinion on their best album.  I can make an argument for Absolutes, Speakeasy, & How To Live With A Curse.

ludey7
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:14 pm

Gandalf the White wrote:Thanks Adam. I may just buy Friction and start at the beginning...

Before you go buying anything, let me see if I have any extra copies around here.

Also, HTLWAC is available at Discogs for 9 bucks plus shipping from RUSSIA! http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/4063399?ev=rb

I'm not sure why it's so much, it's everybody's least favorite album

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:20 pm

Gandalf the White wrote:Thanks Adam. I may just buy Friction and start at the beginning...

Seriously? That's crazy talk! :O 

Back on-topic: huge fan here.  Own the entire catalog.   cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:22 pm

I went to Amazon and found a new copy for $10.85.  The used copies begin at $122.  Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by ludey7 Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:26 pm

Adam wrote:

Before you go buying anything, let me see if I have any extra copies around here.

Also, HTLWAC is available at Discogs for 9 bucks plus shipping from RUSSIA! http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/4063399?ev=rb

I'm not sure why it's so much, it's everybody's least favorite albums 
Do you think it's their worst?  I think the self titled was easily their worst.  Worst songs, worst production.  I think the band even feels this way.  

I personally feel this is song for song better than most of their catalog - if not their best outright

I get that it's on their lighter side but I think more than most would agree that the self titled is their weakest release.

ludey7
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:34 pm

Adam wrote:

I'm not sure why it's so much, it's everybody's least favorite album

Okay. I ordered Collective cause it was only $0.20 plus shipping...
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:45 pm

Okay so since we're talking Mark Salomon, anybody like Outer Circle (I do, they make my little punk rock heart happy) or Neon Horse? I like the Horse too but don't have either album.
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ludey7 Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:48 pm

Gandalf the White wrote:Okay so since we're talking Mark Salomon, anybody like Outer Circle (I do, they make my little punk rock heart happy) or Neon Horse? I like the Horse too but don't have either album.
Really dig Outer Circle.  Wish they put out more.  Neon Horse isn't bad but it's not my cup of tea.  It feels too gimicky.  

His new project Whitelighter is really good.  I've been listening to it constantly for a few weeks now.

ludey7
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:07 pm

I would have to call myself a casual Stavesacre fan. Haven't heard any of Mark's other projects.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:12 pm

ludey7 wrote:
Adam wrote:

Do you think it's their worst?  I think the self titled was easily their worst.  Worst songs, worst production.  I think the band even feels this way.  

I personally feel this is song for song better than most of their catalog - if not their best outright

I get that it's on their lighter side but I think more than most would agree that the self titled is their weakest release.

I don't personally believe it's their worst. I rank it up there near Speakeasy.

And regarding their self-titled? I like it more and more every year. It's really grown on me over time.

Back to top Go down

Post by ludey7 Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:33 pm

Adam wrote:
ludey7 wrote:
Adam wrote:

I don't personally believe it's their worst. I rank it up there near Speakeasy.

And regarding their self-titled? I like it more and more every year. It's really grown on me over time.

Agreed.  I think HTLWAC is top notch - if you like Speakeasy, this is a must.

The self-titled I think could have been great - and there are some really good songs.  But there is just something overall that is lacking.  You definitely miss that Bellew influence of earlier material (though he wasn't there for HTLWAC too) - but something was just off.  But Sad Parade, Witch Trial, Blind Hope, etc - there is still really good stuff there.

ludey7
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by bjorn agin Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:07 am

I've got Collective. Standout tracks for me are At The Moment, Threshold, and Keep Waiting. I bought those on iTunes even before I picked up the Collective disc.
bjorn agin
bjorn agin
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by thisundyingfire Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:01 pm

Adam wrote:Yes, huge Stavesacre fan here. I've heard everything in their catalog and seen them several times in concert.

Are you looking in getting into their harder rock or the medium stuff?

If harder, go with Friction and Absolutes. I prefer Friction with Absolutes being an extremely close second.

If medium, begin with Speakeasy (often ranked as their best album by fans and critics), then followed by (stāvz'ā'kər), then Bull Takes Fighter and finally How To Live With A Curse.

Speakeasy is easily my favorite with The Collective being second (not really a greatest hits; lots of alternate takes); then Friction/Absolutes tied, and I really like "Against the Silence"
thisundyingfire
thisundyingfire
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by srguenther Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:40 pm

I love all stavesacre albums....self titled suffered from stale production....I am getting mark's new project white lighter soon and I am really excited for it...

srguenther
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down