The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question for fans of The Clash

3 posters

Go down

Question for fans of The Clash Empty Question for fans of The Clash

Post by Gandalf the White Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:48 pm

So I've been a fan of the Clash since I was a teenager (about 17 years ago). But I've never bought Cut the Crap because every Clash fan says "Oh, it's not really the Clash cause Mick wasn't in the band."

So to the few Clash fans here, do you have this album? Do you like it? As I get older the more I realize Mick's influence on the music but Joe Strummer was no slouch...

Anyway, thoughts?
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Question for fans of The Clash Empty Re: Question for fans of The Clash

Post by Athanasius Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:22 pm

I love the Clash, but like you, I've never heard that album.  So I'm curious to see what people's opinions are.
Athanasius
Athanasius
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:45 am

I bought it when it was released. I don't remember liking it and I parted with it not long after. My tastes have changed greatly since then. I think it's time to revisit it. I'll let you know.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:26 am

OK, the short: pass. If you are counting your pennies, then this is a waste of them. If you are a (I must have everything that has the name 'The Clash' stamped on it) hardcore fan, then get it. There's not one truly enjoyable song on it for me. There are a few elements of some songs that I like, but altogether it's not good.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:38 am

Thanks David. I love the band but I probably won't buy Cut the Crap. I'm on the fence about the Live at Shea Stadium disc too. I'd like to hear a concert by them but at the same time, I don't think I'd spin that disc a whole lot after the first time or two.

But other than those two, I have quite a collection. I have the American S/T, Give 'Em Enough Rope, London Calling, Sandanista!, Combat Rock, On Broadway (3 disc comp with some unreleased stuff including the 4 songs not on the American S/T), and the Singles box set (19 CD's with each made to look like the original 7" singles with B-Sides). Oh and I bought the one song on Super Black Market Clash that's not on any other disc - Time Is Tight.
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:24 am

Gandalf the White wrote:Thanks David. I love the band but I probably won't buy Cut the Crap. I'm on the fence about the Live at Shea Stadium disc too. I'd like to hear a concert by them but at the same time, I don't think I'd spin that disc a whole lot after the first time or two.

But other than those two, I have quite a collection. I have the American S/T, Give 'Em Enough Rope, London Calling, Sandanista!, Combat Rock, On Broadway (3 disc comp with some unreleased stuff including the 4 songs not on the American S/T), and the Singles box set (19 CD's with each made to look like the original 7" singles with B-Sides). Oh and I bought the one song on Super Black Market Clash that's not on any other disc - Time Is Tight.
Nice. I have Combat Rock and London Calling and I only like certain songs from each. There were great, but not everything they touched was golden for me.

Cut the Crap is menaced but ugly drum machines and a lot of 80's style instrumental noise that distracts from the songs. Also, I don't like the guitar distortion. I prefer their crunch tone from before to it. The best sounding songs sound too recycled from earlier albums.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:20 pm

d@v!d wrote:
Gandalf the White wrote:Thanks David. I love the band but I probably won't buy Cut the Crap. I'm on the fence about the Live at Shea Stadium disc too. I'd like to hear a concert by them but at the same time, I don't think I'd spin that disc a whole lot after the first time or two.

Nice. I have Combat Rock and London Calling and I only like certain songs from each. There were great, but not everything they touched was golden for me.

Cut the Crap is menaced but ugly drum machines and a lot of 80's style instrumental noise that distracts from the songs. Also, I don't like the guitar distortion. I prefer their crunch tone from before to it. The best sounding songs sound too recycled from earlier albums.

I've heard that criticism before. I think once Mick left the band (or was kicked out) the magic was gone. I don't care for Big Audio Dynamite (the band Mick started later) or Joe Strummer's solo stuff that much at all. And you're right about the guitar tones. The sound from Given 'Em... to Combat Rock was great.

It's funny because a little bit ago I was at Amazon and there's a box set that Joe put together a few years ago that's supposed to be the complete Clash albums box - it doesn't include Cut the Crap...
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:49 pm

Gandalf the White wrote:It's funny because a little bit ago I was at Amazon and there's a box set that Joe put together a few years ago that's supposed to be the complete Clash albums box - it doesn't include Cut the Crap...
It's as if there were a prophetic meaning to its name.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down