The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Books, anyone?

4 posters

Go down

Books, anyone? Empty Books, anyone?

Post by Markus1987 Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:42 am

I just started to read Neal Morse's autobiography "Testimony- The inspirational and spiritual journey of a prog rock musician" for the second time. I really enjoy reading biographies and biblical teachings. 

What kind of books you like to read? And if you have any suggestions for me to check out (especially bible studying and biographies), please feel free to send them. I'd be very grateful.
Markus1987
Markus1987
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Books, anyone? Empty Re: Books, anyone?

Post by Guest Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:26 am

You can't go wrong with Brendan Manning's Ragafmuffin Gospel.  Great book.  I also read Viktor Frankl's The Search For Meaning last year.  Barely read any fiction in 2014, mainly nonfiction.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:11 pm

In terms of fiction, I'm a fan of Michael Connelly's Lincoln Lawyer series, as well as Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, Elmore Leonard, and Hunter S Thompson. As far as theology, I'm currently reading Letters From a Skeptic by Gregory Boyd and his father, Edward Boyd. I'm also reading a book with a similar format (letters back and forth) by John Sanders and Christopher Hall called Does God Have a Future?: A Debate on Divine Providence - it's a debate on opennes theology (which I believe). After I finish those, I'll read Boyd's Myth of a Christian Nation.
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:38 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:42 pm

I am currently reading homilies by Saint John Chrysostom here:

http://www.ccel.org/fathers.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:05 pm

I'm reading "The Climb," which is Anatoli Boukreev's account of the 1996 Everest disaster, simultaneous to but less known than Krakauer's "Into Thin Air."   Heh, if anybody's interested in mountaineering/hiking book recommendations, I'm your guy!  I'm guessing that's a very short list though.

NMC, in college I read Man's Search for Meaning.  In some ways, it was truly life changing for me, more because of my reflections on his experience in the concentration camp than the psychology of it, but I did resolve to never complain again (which, of course, has been a failure, but still).

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:20 pm

I'm currently readin Frank Peretti's This Present Darkness
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:22 pm

I read mostly science fiction (especially hard SF), like Asimov's Foundation books, Dune by Frank Herbert, The Hitchhiker's Guide (not) trilogy and C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy.

I should start reading/studying the Bible again...

Back to top Go down

Post by Markus1987 Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:10 am

Markus1987 wrote:Neal Morse's autobiography "Testimony- The inspirational and spiritual journey of a prog rock musician".

Just finished it yesterday. And what can I say about it? It was again a touching experience to me. What I found was, that Neal was writing about a lot of stuff which I can pretty much identify with. He told about his ups and downs with such an honest way. He didn't hide anything. He told about His coming to the Lord and how God was calling him. Anyway... There was a lot of things, and I simply can't point my finger to a certain point of this book, because it was all so powerful. Highly recommended
Markus1987
Markus1987
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:07 am

Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content