The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who remembers life before microwaves?

+17
StarFire
stepcousin
sentient 6
Candlemass
L8T
johnnycanuck
Staybrite
Grindboy
Gandalf the White
Xid
metaldude
d@v!d
eatbugs
MegaNorm64
Peter who was Vaak
Driven
nairtoons
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who remembers life before microwaves? Empty Who remembers life before microwaves?

Post by nairtoons Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:39 pm

Who remembers life before microwaves? Banquet Cookin' Bags, I ate my share of Salisbury Steaks and Turkey, Veal Parmesan, Chip beef, Chicken and there more.
Who remembers life before microwaves? <a href=Who remembers life before microwaves? Banque10" />
nairtoons
nairtoons
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Who remembers life before microwaves? Empty Re: Who remembers life before microwaves?

Post by Driven Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:43 pm

I don't. My parents still have and use a microwave much older than I am.
Driven
Driven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://danielbandfan.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Who remembers life before microwaves? Empty Re: Who remembers life before microwaves?

Post by Guest Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:55 pm

Who remembers life before microwaves? History-of-tv-dinner-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter who was Vaak Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:33 pm

No microwave?  You mean in the time of savages?
Peter who was Vaak
Peter who was Vaak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaNorm64 Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:07 pm

Peter who was Vaak wrote:No microwave?  You mean in the time of savages?
cheers Rolf 1 Rolf 2 lol!
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:59 am

Me.  Now.  I remember now.

Apparently I am a savage (why is there no emoticon for this?).

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaNorm64 Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:36 am

Because of the tyrant!
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:06 am

Back in 1985, if you had a microwave and/or cable TV, you had money.

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:19 am

BearDad wrote:Who remembers life before microwaves? History-of-tv-dinner-1
I remember the metal trays.
nairtoons wrote:Who remembers life before microwaves? Banquet Cookin' Bags, I ate my share of Salisbury Steaks and Turkey, Veal Parmesan, Chip beef, Chicken and there more.
So, yes I do.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by nairtoons Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:42 am

I also remember the metal trays with the cardboard tops. The vegetable juice or gravy would always run into the brownie.
nairtoons
nairtoons
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:04 am

Samson wrote:Back in 1985, if you had a microwave and/or cable TV, you had money.

And both required a lot of space.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Xid Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:20 am

I remember being amazed at the "oven" that could cook a hotdog in 1 minute.  At 6 years old, I was highly impressed.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.joshuascreed.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:33 am

Samson wrote:Back in 1985, if you had a microwave and/or cable TV, you had money.
Back in 1985 I was 4 years old.
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaNorm64 Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:36 am

Gandalf the White wrote:
I wasn't even planned yet...
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by nairtoons Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:02 pm

Back when microwaves came out at Sears there big selling point was to take old bread or doughnuts that where hard as rocks. Pop it in the microwave "bang it's fresh again"
nairtoons
nairtoons
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:17 pm

ParaNormaN wrote:
Gandalf the White wrote:

Shut up! You're making me feel old!!!

Who remembers life before microwaves? Angry-old-man-smiley-emoticon

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaNorm64 Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:36 pm

BearDad wrote:
ParaNormaN wrote:
Gandalf the White wrote:

Shut up! You're making me feel old!!!

Who remembers life before microwaves? Angry-old-man-smiley-emoticon
Razz
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:39 pm

nairtoons wrote:I also remember the metal trays with the cardboard tops. The vegetable juice or gravy would always run into the brownie.
So, I wasn't alone in my frustration?
nairtoons wrote:Back when microwaves came out at Sears there big selling point was to take old bread or doughnuts that where hard as rocks. Pop it in the microwave "bang it's fresh again"
Yes. It would make it moist. But what they didn't tell you was that it transformed it into a material as tough as Kevlar.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:51 pm

Yeah, I'm old enough to remember the first night my parents brought one home (I don't know, maybe circa 1988?).  It was one of the most exciting things that ever happened in our home, but it was also mysterious and terrifying, and my parents were out for something that night, so my sister and I were only allowed to use it to heat up water.  We drank so much hot chocolate!  Although at that point the tea kettle on the stove top still really heated a cup of water at least as quickly.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:12 pm

We didn't get one until I was around 17 and I had been cooking for several years by then.  We didn't even have a toaster oven.
I remember (many times) standing at the fridge looking at a piece of leftover pizza and wondering if it was worth waiting the time to heat the oven up and warm it, or if I should just eat it cold (same with leftover fried chicken).
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:52 pm

Staybrite wrote:
I remember (many times) standing at the fridge looking at a piece of leftover pizza and wondering if it was worth waiting the time to heat the oven up and warm it, or if I should just eat it cold (same with leftover fried chicken).

Both of which are good either way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:32 pm

Right.  Wait for the oven for re-heated pizza or fried chicken?  No way, just get busy.  Microwave, sure, but oven?  Ain't nobody got time fo dat!  (Although I probably did have time for that in 1985.  Being 9 and all.)

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:10 pm

Staybrite wrote:We didn't get one until I was around 17 and I had been cooking for several years by then.  We didn't even have a toaster oven.
There's something about cold pizza, isn't there?
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:15 pm

We must have been the Jetsons because we got one in 1981 and we weren't rich. It was still working when I tossed it 10 years ago. the newer on I bought 10 years ago was much more powerful, but I do miss one thing about the old one. It worked on dials. All I had to do to start it was twist to the right to the time I wanted. There was another dial for the cook mode. Super easy.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnycanuck Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:08 pm

I remember being a teen and having a huge microwave in 1977. I was living in Germany at that time.
johnnycanuck
johnnycanuck
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next