The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metalheads who Hike

+15
eatbugs
deathisgain
Nocturnal Servant
Fearless For The King
Markus1987
metaldude
nuclearwoods
d@v!d
Jessie G
oldschooldoom
alldatndensum
Peter who was Vaak
MikeInFla
Kerrick
Grindboy
19 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 Empty Re: Metalheads who Hike

Post by Grindboy Mon May 27, 2019 6:57 pm

SO -- my about to be a HS Senior has one for sure summer left living here at home, which means one more for sure vacation.  My wife and I started making plans. . . but he said he really wanted to go to San Fransisco and wants to see the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz.  I went to college in Northern Cal, my wife (girlfriend at the time) visited me out there and we did a day in SF. . . really no interest from either of us.  But:  "How far is it to Yosemite?"  Close enough.  Then I went through a job lay-off and employment uncertainty and the entire idea of the trip was in the air, but a few weeks ago we booked it.  I was too late for the early lottery, so I think I'll have 2 shots at the daily lottery for a Half-Dome permit.  This would be a legit bucket-list type of thing for me!  I think between the 2 days I might have about a 50% shot at a permit (if I understand correctly, which I may not?), and then of course need decent weather as well, but it could realistically happen!  After taking a couple months off I've been out "training" the past few weeks and have my climbing legs pretty well back.  Seriously pumped!  Even if I don't get to hike Half-Dome, it will be awesome to be in Yosemite, so it should be a no-lose (although I WILL be a little disappointed).  Wohoo!  There's my hiking "news!"

Semi-related -- a couple weeks ago I watched Free Solo.  Hugely uncomfortable to watch!  But pretty interesting, in terms of both rock climbing and sort of human interest.  I'm not really interested in rock climbing, actually, but loved the film.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Mon May 27, 2019 8:46 pm

This Saturday we hiked about 7 miles from the top of Brasstown Bald (Highest peak in Georgia) to Young Harris. For the most part it was a nice canopied gradual descent. The bottom part was a little rocky and steeper. I woke up this morning barely walking. It was fun tho.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue May 28, 2019 10:25 am

Grindboy wrote:SO -- my about to be a HS Senior has one for sure summer left living here at home, which means one more for sure vacation.  My wife and I started making plans. . . but he said he really wanted to go to San Fransisco and wants to see the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz.  I went to college in Northern Cal, my wife (girlfriend at the time) visited me out there and we did a day in SF. . . really no interest from either of us.  But:  "How far is it to Yosemite?"  Close enough.  Then I went through a job lay-off and employment uncertainty and the entire idea of the trip was in the air, but a few weeks ago we booked it.  I was too late for the early lottery, so I think I'll have 2 shots at the daily lottery for a Half-Dome permit.  This would be a legit bucket-list type of thing for me!  I think between the 2 days I might have about a 50% shot at a permit (if I understand correctly, which I may not?), and then of course need decent weather as well, but it could realistically happen!  After taking a couple months off I've been out "training" the past few weeks and have my climbing legs pretty well back.  Seriously pumped!  Even if I don't get to hike Half-Dome, it will be awesome to be in Yosemite, so it should be a no-lose (although I WILL be a little disappointed).  Wohoo!  There's my hiking "news!"

Semi-related -- a couple weeks ago I watched Free Solo.  Hugely uncomfortable to watch!  But pretty interesting, in terms of both rock climbing and sort of human interest.  I'm not really interested in rock climbing, actually, but loved the film.

Oh awesome!  I hope you guys are able to do Half Dome.  My dad and I did it years ago and it totally kicked my butt though was a spectacular hike.  That being said, there are plenty of fantastic hikes in Yosemite besides Half Dome and while not as iconic, I've heard are just as beautiful.

deathisgain wrote:This Saturday we hiked about 7 miles from the top of Brasstown Bald (Highest peak in Georgia) to Young Harris. For the most part it was a nice canopied gradual descent. The bottom part was a little rocky and steeper. I woke up this morning barely walking. It was fun tho.

Very cool.  The pictures on FB are great by the way.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Tue May 28, 2019 7:19 pm

Kerrick wrote:
Grindboy wrote:SO -- my about to be a HS Senior has one for sure summer left living here at home, which means one more for sure vacation.  My wife and I started making plans. . . but he said he really wanted to go to San Fransisco and wants to see the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz.  I went to college in Northern Cal, my wife (girlfriend at the time) visited me out there and we did a day in SF. . . really no interest from either of us.  But:  "How far is it to Yosemite?"  Close enough.  Then I went through a job lay-off and employment uncertainty and the entire idea of the trip was in the air, but a few weeks ago we booked it.  I was too late for the early lottery, so I think I'll have 2 shots at the daily lottery for a Half-Dome permit.  This would be a legit bucket-list type of thing for me!  I think between the 2 days I might have about a 50% shot at a permit (if I understand correctly, which I may not?), and then of course need decent weather as well, but it could realistically happen!  After taking a couple months off I've been out "training" the past few weeks and have my climbing legs pretty well back.  Seriously pumped!  Even if I don't get to hike Half-Dome, it will be awesome to be in Yosemite, so it should be a no-lose (although I WILL be a little disappointed).  Wohoo!  There's my hiking "news!"

Oh awesome!  I hope you guys are able to do Half Dome.  My dad and I did it years ago and it totally kicked my butt though was a spectacular hike.  That being said, there are plenty of fantastic hikes in Yosemite besides Half Dome and while not as iconic, I've heard are just as beautiful.

deathisgain wrote:This Saturday we hiked about 7 miles from the top of Brasstown Bald (Highest peak in Georgia) to Young Harris. For the most part it was a nice canopied gradual descent. The bottom part was a little rocky and steeper. I woke up this morning barely walking. It was fun tho.

Very cool.  The pictures on FB are great by the way.

Thanks. It wasn't the most scenic, but being in nature is just great on it's own. Also, it was nice and canopied, so it didn't get as hot as it was supposed to with this heat wave.
deathisgain
deathisgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu May 30, 2019 5:40 pm

DIG joins OSD in state highpointing, I love it!  I was kind of close to taking a trip to hike the MA highpoint a couple weeks ago, but it didn't happen, and probably won't this year.

Kerrick, there would be no "we" on Half-Dome -- if I get a permit, my wife and kid will find something else to do.  Not really a "family vacation" activity, but maybe once in a lifetime and we'll hang together the rest of the trip!

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:25 am

Grindboy, have you gone on your Yosemite trip yet?

This weekend we borrowed a backpack carrier for Gloria and went for a nice little hike along the river.  Gloria loves being in nature which is awesome.  Smile  I look forward to getting some good use of it this summer!

Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 20190611

Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 20190612

Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 20190610

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:41 pm

Kerrick wrote:Grindboy, have you gone on your Yosemite trip yet?

This weekend we borrowed a backpack carrier for Gloria and went for a nice little hike along the river.  Gloria loves being in nature which is awesome.  Smile  I look forward to getting some good use of it this summer!

Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 20190611

Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 20190612

Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 20190610

Awesome!
deathisgain
deathisgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:37 pm

Thanks!  We're hoping to get out into nature again this weekend too so maybe I'll have more fun pictures to post then.  Smile

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:50 pm

Love the pics and the kid in the pack!  Man, the west looks so, so, so different.

We leave for SF tomorrow, which means I'll put in for the Half-Dome lottery tomorrow, for Thurs., and if I don't get it, then again Weds for Friday.  If I get neither, I'm just out of luck.  Here's to hoping!

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:53 am

Oh man I hope you get it!!!  Enjoy your time in crazy California.  Funny, today on FB's "share your memories" thing was this picture of me on top of Half Dome from 2009:

Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 Img_6010

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:06 pm

Kerrick, you're killing me buddy!

Applied for two permits, selected for neither.  On the plus side, they DID encourage me to apply again next year.  Ahhh, you're so sweet, recreation.gov!

On the plus side, it was really a good trip, and even managed to have a great time in Yosemite with my family despite my disappointment.  Seriously, I've seen some pretty cool stuff in my day, but Yosemite was really beyond description.  And California IS weird.  Like I never knew what receptacle to put my trash/recycling/compost into, and of course everything was taxed fourteen times over, and it just so happened that we were in SF during Pride weekend (although we didn't really see anything too crazy. . . like our last Lyft driver had been seriously traumatized). 

Also, after a couple of meals in Little Italy. . . Olive Garden is stupid.  I now get the elitism!

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:11 pm

Aww dang!  I was really hoping you'd get the permit.  Bummer!  Nonetheless, as you said, Yosemite is pretty amazing.  There aren't many other places in the world that can match its grandeur.

It sounds like you got your taste of CA to last you for another few years (unless you get next year's permit!).  I was just in the San Jose area myself the past few days for work.  While there are some good folks there who I miss, I sure don't miss all of CA's craziness...

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:49 pm

Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 SB7NAbel
Where the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers meet
Where Virginia, West Virginia and Maryland meet
Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 UcydZrCl
Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 5FSbrayl
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:45 am

Went to the other side of the USA
Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 VIlMI4dl
Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 8wttZrfl
Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 TREBZ62l
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:42 pm

Yes!  This is turning into the Yosemite thread, ha ha -- just otherwordly.  Are you still there now?  For the love of everything good, don't miss Glacier Point!  Also. . . did you intentionally stack those bottom two pics like that?  Because it kind of looks like. . . um. . . ha ha ha ha ha I'm not sure if it's funnier if it's on purpose or an accident!!!

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:08 pm

HaHa, I hadn't noticed the unintentional pause that refreshes picture stacking until you pointed it out. LOL lol LOL lol!
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:09 am

Btw, I've decided. . . definitely funnier as an accident.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:57 pm

Grindboy wrote:Btw, I've decided. . . definitely funnier as an accident.

lol!   Grindboy, the puns just flow out of you...   Razz

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:24 pm

Can anybody guess who on this board has a toddler?

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:49 am

oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Wed May 12, 2021 9:18 pm

oldschooldoom wrote:

Just to be funny, one day I want to hike to the top of Mauna Kea to say that I hiked the tallest mountain in the world. Measured from its base on the ocean floor, it rises over 33,000 ft, significantly greater than the elevation of Mount Everest above sea level. But from sea level, Mauna Kea is only 13,803 ft.

And today I checked off my bucket list Mauna Kea
Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 DahdkxhlMetalheads who Hike - Page 4 TPFbBURlMetalheads who Hike - Page 4 SfUGgMTl
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Staybrite, Grindboy, Kerrick and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu May 13, 2021 7:01 pm

Woah!  That's crazy cool, and great necro-bump on the thread!

I haven't been hiking as much as I'd like lately due to some health things, but in March my wife and I did take a trip to S Utah for Zion/Bryce/Arches NP's, and specifically to hike Angel's Landing in Zion.  Not a terribly physically difficult hike, but for sure the coolest hike I've ever done.  And just so, SO different from anything in New England, duh.

Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 Ridge_11Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 Laura_11Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 Sun_ab11
Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 N_zion11Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 Big_be11

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

oldschooldoom, Kerrick and scottmitchell74 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri May 14, 2021 10:50 am

Wow awesome pictures!

It's about all we can do just getting out the door to church these days, so any hiking will have to wait until we're more efficient at getting Toddler + Baby out and about hahaha.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:34 am

I never imagined how diverse Hawaii can be. It contains 8 of 13 different climate zones in the world, each with unique ecosystems. These ecosystems range from tropical dry forest to subalpine grasslands, from snowy alpine deserts to brackish anchialine pools, and from subterranean lava tube systems with eyeless creatures to windswept coastal dunes.

I'm currently 6 months into my 9 month stay. Despite the intense beauty, these islands can kill a person in 100 different ways. So far I've completed 60 hikes across 3 of the 8 islands. Metalheads who Hike - Page 4 4V9t74i
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Staybrite, deathisgain, BaleMaster and Raegoul like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:38 pm

No pics, no REAL hikes, but after decades I'm finally getting back into hiking due to my son's Cub Scouts hiking club.  Yesterday we did 2.7 miles at a local park.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next