The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metalheads who Hike

+15
eatbugs
deathisgain
Nocturnal Servant
Fearless For The King
Markus1987
metaldude
nuclearwoods
d@v!d
Jessie G
oldschooldoom
alldatndensum
Peter who was Vaak
MikeInFla
Kerrick
Grindboy
19 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 Empty Re: Metalheads who Hike

Post by Guest Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:45 pm

Heck yeah! I live in northern/central Utah, so we are less desert and more mountains than the rest of the state. I've been to Canyonlands a few times, but mostly hike up here and in Colorado (where I am originally from).

I'll post some pics in the coming days. Kinda in a hurry right now though. Cool thread!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:17 am

I love to hike, trail run and fast pack. I've been all over the states and in Canada doing this. My favorite places have been the Rockies in Colorado, those gorgeous western North Carolina/ East Tennessee Appalachians and Flagstaff Arizona area, the mountains north of Burlington Vermont. Will be heading to Alaska for some fresh air in May.

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:45 pm

Spitshockey you're awesome!

I've mostly been hiking only for 4-5 years and almost exclusively in NH.  Have you ever been here?

Despite being relatively nearby, I've only had one day in VT, which was this summer, and was a tremendous day on Mansfield.  I specifically chose it because it promised the best weather that day, but as I climbed (after a 3 hour drive!) it was socked in and I would have been terribly disappointed to climb it for no views.  I popped out above treeline. . . still socked.  Arrived at the summit, ate a sandwich, cursed my luck and the weatherman. . . still socked.  Started down, and all of the sudden saw a valley for about a half of a second.  I stopped, and other spots briefly appeared and disappeared.  And after a few minutes it all blew off (to the W, at least) and visibility went from about 100 feet to over 100 miles in about 10 seconds.  If any of you have ever had that happen, it's really one of the most amazing things that you can see on a hike, it's absolute magic.  Awesome!

Anyway, I used to be something of a runner, but I guess traded that in for hiking, and have never tried trail running (nor do I desire to at this point).  It's pretty popular here though, and dang those cats are nails and do the impossible, it seems to me (and I'm a fairly strong hiker, relatively speaking).  I'm afraid I've never heard of "fast pack."  Nor have I been to Alaska -- would be a bucket list thing for sure, though.  Are you going to Denali?  Park or peak?  The peak would definitely be more than I'll probably ever be able to attempt, but just to be there would be amazing.

Post some of your favorite pics, if you can!

And Raven. . . we're still waiting!

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:36 pm

I travel quite a bit with my work (in the real estate field) - so sometimes I like to hike when I'm on business trips! Heheh.

This is from when I was in New Mexico a little while back. I have quite a bit of real estate in New Mexico - so I travel down there quite a bit. These pictures are taken from several different trips. All New Mexico though!

Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 013a10

Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 01510

This creek was really fun to play in on a hot New Mexico day! My son and I had a blast!

Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 01610

I ended up exploring this amazing place with HUGE reddish rocks. There were caves and all sorts of fun stuff to discover!!!

Even found this lizard who proved to be quite friendly.

Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 00110

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:42 am

Kerrick wrote:This Saturday I went on a ~14 mile hike with some folks from the 20s/30s church ministry I'm involved in.  We had a blast!  It's a pretty mellow hike (not a lot of elevation change) but there are a couple really pretty waterfalls to see.

Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 11110813_10153664846853496_8356477153108991416_n

That's a lot!

The most I can remember ever walking in one day was 6.7 miles.  That was a geocaching trail that we had to walk.  Me and a buddy walked the whole trail in 105 degree heat.  Also, I weighed 325 lbs. at the time so this was no easy feat!  I was never so tired and dehydrated in all my life.  I practically peed toothpaste I was so dry!  OK, in reality, I was so dry that I could no longer pee or sweat.  That's dangerous.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:16 pm

This Saturday I I went on a pretty cool hike in Andrew Molera area with my family and aunt + uncle + cousin.  We had a great time though my dad and uncle both got ticks and my girlfriend and mom both got sick from the cold...

Totally worth it though!  (Hahahaha easy for me to say! Twisted Evil )  Here's a view from the trail.
Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20160110

But to get there we had to ford a stream.  You can see by how wet my legs were, it wasn't too shallow - and it was moving at a pretty swift speed too. Trying to be the good boyfriend, I gave Veronika a piggy-back ride across haha (and no, I didn't even drop her!).
Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20160111

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:13 pm

Some pics from my anniversary getaway in the Oachita Mountains (Oachita National Forest) in Arkansas.

Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20160811
Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20160810
Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20160812
Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20160817
Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20160816

The last one was taken just outside our room. We woke up to that view each morning.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:06 pm

Shocked Wow those are amazing!!!  That second one looks like there's a cascading waterfall of rain straight from heaven.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:56 am

Kerrick wrote:Shocked Wow those are amazing!!!  That second one looks like there's a cascading waterfall of rain straight from heaven.
Ditto
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:30 pm

Kerrick wrote:Shocked Wow those are amazing!!!  That second one looks like there's a cascading waterfall of rain straight from heaven.

It was pretty cool to watch that storm move across the valley. It was a perspective I hadn't had before.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by nuclearwoods Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:56 am

I mountain bike, and regular cycling everyday, if that counts.   bounce
nuclearwoods
nuclearwoods
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:11 pm

Nope, wrong thread, get out of this one!  Wink  Just kidding; have any pictures of where you like to go riding?

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:39 pm

Excellent necrobump, metaldude.  I have a friend who I hiked with a few times that moved to Arkansas.  He's definitely worked to try to get me to come down and hike around there with him.

Nothing ALL that epic for me lately, but here are a couple highlights of the last six months or so since my last post:

On one of the higher peaks in Maine, along the Appalachian Trail:
Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 <a href=Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 29175578841_44a3ec6ca6_z" />

Summit in sight on the most hiked peak in the White Mountains here in NH:
Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 <a data-flickr-embed=Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 28633121833_0b54257fce_z" />

My most recent trip, Squam Lake of "On Golden Pond" fame being the nearer lake:
Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 <a data-flickr-embed=Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 29175574651_cb24ac0620_z" />

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:54 am

Hiking and canoeing over Labor Day weekend. 

Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20160910
Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20160915
Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20160916
Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20160914
Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20160913
Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20160912
Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20160911
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:37 pm

Oh man, I am still sore from a family hike for my dad's birthday this past Saturday.  It was great though.  Here's a picture my sister got of my wife, dad, and me:

Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 17800286_10103041938263195_4288780878329976641_n

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Markus1987 Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:58 am

Kerrick wrote:Yesterday I went for a nice little hike by myself in Nisene Marks State Park here in Santa Cruz area.  It was gorgeous.  I snapped a few photos with my phone:

Beautiful pictures, Kerrick.

To be honest, I've never been at a hike. But I do have plans for doing one.
Markus1987
Markus1987
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:35 pm

Thanks Markus!

Never been hiking?  I would imagine Finland has some awesome places you could go for your first hike!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Fearless For The King Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:16 pm

I'm always hiking around NY. My most recent was along side Lake George, I hiked from Shelving Rock Falls to Pilot Knob, right along the lake. I'm hiking and biking whenever I can, I live on the Mohawk so I'm walking along and in the river a lot as well.
Fearless For The King
Fearless For The King
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:10 pm

Right on!  (Pictures or it didn't happen!  Razz)

I'm looking forward to our trip in a couple weeks to the White Mountains.  My wife and I are pretty out of shape though so we'll see just how severely our hikes kick our butts hahaha.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Fearless For The King Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:50 am

The only pic I have on my phone is from a bike ride I took on a paved trail along the Mohawk... BUT it does contain my 3 speed chopper:
Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20170710
Fearless For The King
Fearless For The King
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Fearless For The King Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:51 am

I guess that didn't come out right lol.
Fearless For The King
Fearless For The King
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Fearless For The King Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:02 am

I tried flipping it... I can't figure out how!
Fearless For The King
Fearless For The King
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:56 am

Fearless For The King wrote:I tried flipping it... I can't figure out how!

Looks like you already did.  Razz
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fearless For The King Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:02 am

metaldude wrote:
Fearless For The King wrote:I tried flipping it... I can't figure out how!

Looks like you already did.  Razz
I guess I did.  lol!
Fearless For The King
Fearless For The King
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Alright!  Sorry [Grindboy] for the delay in photos from our New Hampshire trip.  My wife and I had a delightful time celebrating our first anniversary in the mountains of New Hampshire.  And again, for anyone who is considering going there, Grindboy is your guy for hiking recommendations.  Seriously.  He wrote us pages and pages of recommendations, pros/cons to each hike, elevation gain, peak height, mileage... you name it.  We were so fortunate to have access to such great information.  On to the pictures.

Our first day we got off to a late start and it was due to rain later in the day so Grindboy recommended us a nice short little hike which was just right.  We hiked to Mt. Pemigewasset.  This is what the trail looked like:

Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20170910

And here's the top:

Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20170911

However, the trail actually makes more of a "U" shape than loop and we ended up walking the wrong way along the highway for a bit... and then it started to rain haha.  We got pretty drenched but a nice guy from New York with two old dogs picked us up and gave us a ride to our car which was nice.

Here's a view from our hotel.  We got a super deal on the trip - basically free lodging - but we had to listen to a sales-pitch to try to sell us a timeshare.  We declined.  The resort they were trying to sell was really quite luxurious, though the hotel they put us in was quite funky and not one we'd recommend.  Regardless, it had pretty views.

Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20170912

It was actually raining off-and-on for the majority of our trip, but the next day was clear skies throughout its entirety: perfect for our one big hike.  We chose one of Grindboy's recommendations to hike to the top of Mt. Lafayette which was pretty spectacular.  It was ~8.9 miles (of mostly very steep ascending/descending) and 3850 feet elevation gain.  But oh so worth it!

Most of the trail looked like this:

Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20170913

Here's from the top, looking down along the ridgeline.  This portion is actually a part of the Appalachian Trail which is pretty cool.

Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20170914

And who let this funny looking guy up there (sporting his The Slave Eye shirt)?

Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20170915

This is where we came from (and where we were headed back down).

Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20170916

At this point, we needed to hurry down because we still had a long ways to go and not an endless amount of sunlight.  But we made it, just before dark.  Our car was all alone haha; everyone else had left already.  The next day we spent a fair bit of time driving to Mt. Washington but due to weather, the visibility was very poor so we didn't end up going to the top.  We went on a short little walk on Lost Pond Trail and found the lost pond!  Razz Rolling Eyes alien   Again, it started to rain on us but since it was warm out, it felt pretty nice.

Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20170917

And this little fella was pretty cool:

Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20170918

On our way to the airport, we were able to get lunch with Grindboy which was a lot of fun too.  Neither Veronika nor I had ever had lobster before, so we figured it'd be the appropriate thing to do:

Metalheads who Hike - Page 2 20170919

All in all it was a fantastic trip and we are excited to go back again and explore more of the bazillions of miles of hiking trails out there!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next