The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Ten Voivod Songs

4 posters

Go down

Top Ten Voivod Songs Empty Top Ten Voivod Songs

Post by Superjuice Tue Aug 20, 2024 7:30 pm

I wouldn't say this is a deep dive, but I perused the band's discography, downloaded the songs that appealed to me and sorted out the best of the best to make a list.  I already knew a couple of their albums, but they have such a huge discography that I discovered that I was just scratching the surface of this bizarre cult band with a devoted fan-base. They put a unique twist on metal that is devoted to a dark dystopian future of machines dominating humans, painting a bleak picture of what may come upon society.  I admire their ability to build a sound on such a horrific fate and carry it throughout many albums.

10. Global Warning (Infini)
9. Ravenous Medicine (Killing Technology)
8. Mr. Clean (Katorz)
7. Strange and Ironic (Voivod)
6. Clouds In My House (Angel Rat)
5. Jack Luminous (The Outer Limits)
4. We Carry On (Voivod)
3. Nothingface (Nothingface)
2. One Way Street (The Outer Limits)

1. Honorable #1: Astronomy Domine (Nothingface) - Like Metallica (Breadfan), Voivod's best song is a cover.  This band was born to cover this obscure Pink Floyd tune and put their spin on it setting the tone for the next decade of their musical stylings.
1. Panorama (Angel Rat) - This song combines both eras of the band: the sci-fi metal era and then throws in thrashy elements from yesteryear.  Doesn't hurt that Terry Brown of Rush fame is your producer either.

Honorable Mention: We Are Not Alone (The Outer Limits), The Nile Song (The Outer Limits), 21st Century Schizoid Man (KC cover from Phobos), Blame Us (Voivod), Mechanical Mind (Target Earth), Golem (Angel Rat)

Rush and Voivod = Canada not complete worthless
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Top Ten Voivod Songs Empty Re: Top Ten Voivod Songs

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:23 am

Hard to choose because they have the best discography of any band really.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Superjuice likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Wed Aug 21, 2024 3:16 pm

The album I really liked from them was "Killing Technology."  
I used to play that a lot.  Little else really captured my interest, although other favorites would be "Voivod" from "War & Pain" and "Condemned To The Gallows" from Metal Massacre 5.

Rrröööaaarrr was a terrible album.  All the other had their moments, at least the ones I heard.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Thu Aug 22, 2024 8:06 am

Constantine wrote:The album I really liked from them was "Killing Technology."  

Rrröööaaarrr was a terrible album.  All the other had their moments, at least the ones I heard.
Yeah, I tried to include songs from most of their albums, but Roar was so bad, I didn't bother to glean from it.  Their extreme/brutal metal era was a failure IMO.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:23 am

Superjuice wrote:

Yeah, I tried to include songs from most of their albums, but Roar was so bad, I didn't bother to glean from it.  Their extreme/brutal metal era was a failure IMO.

It's mind blowing how well the entire band learned how to play after that raw era.  I can't think of any other band who grew as musicians like that.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:58 am

Temple of Blood wrote:It's mind blowing how well the entire band learned how to play after that raw era.  I can't think of any other band who grew as musicians like that.
I can think of two other bands / musicians that dramatically advanced over time: Death and Celtic Frost.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Thu Aug 22, 2024 11:05 am

Constantine wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:It's mind blowing how well the entire band learned how to play after that raw era.  I can't think of any other band who grew as musicians like that.
I can think of two other bands / musicians that dramatically advanced over time:  Death and Celtic Frost.
I agree with Death. The first album is a very important album in metal history, but songwriting wise it's not very good. Musically, it was ok. Their best album imo is Symbolic. That album is perfect.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Aug 22, 2024 11:09 am

Constantine wrote:
I can think of two other bands / musicians that dramatically advanced over time:  Death and Celtic Frost.

Nah.

Chuck didn't ever get as good as Piggy, and his chops didn't really improve past Human.  He just replaced the band.  It's not like Rick Rozz got as good as Andy LaRoque.

I wasn't talking about replacing 75% of the band, I'm talking about 4 guys who just grow by leaps and bounds from next to nothing.

I would also say Death's first album was MUCH better than Voivod's first album or two, and he was more advanced as a player at that time than they were.

I don't think Celtic Frost really advanced very much.  They had a good drummer right out of the gate IIRC and the other guys stayed about the same.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:09 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Superjuice wrote:

It's mind blowing how well the entire band learned how to play after that raw era.  I can't think of any other band who grew as musicians like that.
I was also referring to their mid-period, Negatron and Phobos, where they replaced Snake with death growls.  It might be good musicianship wise, but I didn't care for the direction.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down