The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AI-Produced Music: the quality is now beyond insane

+5
Airola
seth
StevenCressler
alldatndensum
sirhemlock
9 posters

Go down

AI-Produced Music: the quality is now beyond insane Empty AI-Produced Music: the quality is now beyond insane

Post by sirhemlock Thu May 16, 2024 12:07 am

"While he is waiting for Julia, he recognizes a song that a prole woman below the window is singing, which is a popular song written by the versificator, which is a machine that writes songs with no human input." -George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty Four (written in 1949)

Udio Beta absolutely floored me (took for a spin recently); free and easy to use -check it out!

Convincing AI Death Metal including vocals? Scroll to 8:07...

Random example #1 generated from these prompts:
Djent, heavy metal, screamo, screaming, hardcore, slow, heavy, angry, metal, aggressive, male vocalist, Male vocalist, Metalcore, Rock, Metal, Aggressive, Heavy, Energetic, Melodic metal core, Angry, Screamo, Heavy metal, Djent
https://www.udio.com/songs/vr5ttgLMRrH17tdFBryYnp

Random example #2 Christian Metal with vocals
https://www.udio.com/songs/wttpXkk7ttUy32P7mByhL1

Though examples are metal every musical style is scarily convincing, from country to jazz to Broadway musical and beyond.

What do you think?
sirhemlock
sirhemlock
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

AI-Produced Music: the quality is now beyond insane Empty Re: AI-Produced Music: the quality is now beyond insane

Post by alldatndensum Thu May 30, 2024 2:19 pm

I don't think that this is going to replace real music.  I think it will just push people to try even harder to be more creative.  I can also see using these tools to inspire you to write something if you hear something usable.  I am trying to do that with a set of lyrics I have written just to see how it turns out.  While trying to a full song, the song structure didn't hold together properly.  The instrumental parts are awkward, too.  But, if I can take any of the good parts and create something all my own, it is a usable tool.  If it is always going to be weird, then we have nothing to fear.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Temple of Blood, Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

AI-Produced Music: the quality is now beyond insane Empty Re: AI-Produced Music: the quality is now beyond insane

Post by StevenCressler Thu May 30, 2024 2:26 pm

alldatndensum wrote:I don't think that this is going to replace real music.  I think it will just push people to try even harder to be more creative.  I can also see using these tools to inspire you to write something if you hear something usable.  I am trying to do that with a set of lyrics I have written just to see how it turns out.  While trying to a full song, the song structure didn't hold together properly.  The instrumental parts are awkward, too.  But, if I can take any of the good parts and create something all my own, it is a usable tool.  If it is always going to be weird, then we have nothing to fear.
This is how I feel exactly. It's good inspiration but nothing, as of yet, that can replace us.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Back to top Go down

Post by sirhemlock Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:37 am

StevenCressler wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:I don't think that this is going to replace real music.  I think it will just push people to try even harder to be more creative.  I can also see using these tools to inspire you to write something if you hear something usable.  I am trying to do that with a set of lyrics I have written just to see how it turns out.  While trying to a full song, the song structure didn't hold together properly.  The instrumental parts are awkward, too.  But, if I can take any of the good parts and create something all my own, it is a usable tool.  If it is always going to be weird, then we have nothing to fear.
This is how I feel exactly. It's good inspiration but nothing, as of yet, that can replace us.

That humans play music for enjoyment precludes our replacement, ever, I think.

That humans will sometimes not be able to distinguish AI produced from human produced is already done,

and to a degree well beyond what I ever expected to see in this lifetime.

Last edited by sirhemlock on Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
sirhemlock
sirhemlock
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:45 pm

AI “art” is, and always will be derivative. It basically just cobbles together something to imitate human-created music of the genres in the prompts. It can never create anything truly new or innovative though
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

alldatndensum, sirhemlock and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:50 pm

Also, is that song title a Kitboga reference?
Edit: listening to the lyrics it definitely is lol
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

sirhemlock and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sirhemlock Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:26 am

seth wrote:...Kitboga reference?
+++ (or similar)
sirhemlock
sirhemlock
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by sirhemlock Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:17 am

seth wrote:It can never create anything truly new or innovative though
Re. true innovation, humans too (paraphrasing Newton) stand on the shoulders of giants who came before even at our best.

Bogen thinks *current* AI can achieve "combinational" and "exploratory" creativity but not yet "transformational creativity" https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0004370298000551?via%3Dihub  but "hallucination" may already come close to "impulsive" in Bogen's sense re. the latter.

Not sure any more what is possible for the near future in related fields even in the transformational sense. Recently re-read the late great Christian physicist/philosopher of science Stanley Jaki's Brain, Mind, and Computers (Lecomte du Nouy prize-winner in 1970) which presented many very strong arguments that limits now far surpassed were absolute limits for AI. Some of his points still arguable until very recently now sound to me like pre-Wright brothers' arguments on the impossibility of airplanes. 

Mandelbrot's revolutionary discovery in fractal geometry presented us with the bombshell insight that “chance” itself is “governed” algorithmically to an extent entirely unsuspected just a few decades ago. Fractal algorithmic “governance” is such that infinite variety is not indeed precluded "because it is algorithmic," but rather enabled. Algorithms "as such" can be infinitely creative is proven by mathematics.[2]

Never is a strong word, I think.
[1] "Combinational creativity combines familiar ideas together. Exploratory creativity generates new ideas by exploring ‘structured conceptual spaces,’ that is, tweaking an accepted style of thinking by exploring its contents, boundaries and potential. Both of these types of creativity are not a million miles from generative AI’s algorithmic production of art; creating novel works in the same style as millions of others in the training data, a ‘synthetic creativity.’ Transformational creativity, however, means generating ideas beyond existing structures and styles to create something entirely original; this is at the heart of current debates around AI in terms of fair use and copyright..."

[2] Cf. my article from 2010 and Arthur Clarke's doc https://katachriston.wordpress.com/2010/12/27/fibonacci-fractals-and-inorganic-teleology/
sirhemlock
sirhemlock
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:16 pm

That probably is true, but at the same time it's pretty much the only thing that can create a 100% authentic music experience of the past. If a person today wants to create something that sounds exactly like a 60's pop song, it can't be done. It might be that certain equipment is needed to create the 100% authentic sound and that equipment just isn't available anymore. And if it were, people wouldn't know how to use it the way it was used in the past. And even if they would know, then they wouldn't be able to compose and perform the way they did back then.

There would always be something that brings something from this day to the music so that it wouldn't ever sound 100% authentic.

With AI that can be done quite easily.

A current band couldn't do a song that sounds exactly like a lost track of, say, The Beatles. But AI can do exactly that.

I can generate a more authentic sounding thrash song from 1983 with AI than a real band can do.

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TheDoctor394 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:57 pm

I have only used AI music once.  I did it for inspiration.  It came up with a couple of interesting things, but I have had to rewrite some of the parts to make them sound more musical and more like something I would come up with.  I am not quite done with the song yet.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Andreas89 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDoctor394 Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:59 pm

Airola wrote:

That probably is true, but at the same time it's pretty much the only thing that can create a 100% authentic music experience of the past. If a person today wants to create something that sounds exactly like a 60's pop song, it can't be done. It might be that certain equipment is needed to create the 100% authentic sound and that equipment just isn't available anymore. And if it were, people wouldn't know how to use it the way it was used in the past. And even if they would know, then they wouldn't be able to compose and perform the way they did back then.

There would always be something that brings something from this day to the music so that it wouldn't ever sound 100% authentic.

With AI that can be done quite easily.

A current band couldn't do a song that sounds exactly like a lost track of, say, The Beatles. But AI can do exactly that.

I can generate a more authentic sounding thrash song from 1983 with AI than a real band can do.
I agree with this.
I've been generating some songs to emulate early 80s New Wave, synth pop and it's felt like I've discovered a whole new host of hidden tracks from one of my favourite periods of music.  No-one I've heard (admittedly I'm very much out of touch with today's pop music) has been able to get the sound so accurately, apart from some artists who started during that time, since the end of the 1980s.
TheDoctor394
TheDoctor394
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:37 pm

Mimicking a style/tone is not the same as writing a song that is actually good.

AI can fool people who are already listening to generic/forgettable music.

I think this could be a great thing for real artists as they will stand out even more.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Black Rider, Pethead, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sirhemlock Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:10 am

"This is all backwards. AI was supposed to do my chores while I enjoyed doing what I like. It was not supposed to do what I like so that I can focus on the chores." -Yoink
sirhemlock
sirhemlock
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Andreas89, Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Fri Jun 28, 2024 4:22 pm

I think it could be used effectively for artists who have trouble singing at the same level they used to be, as long as the lyrics and the actual music isnt AI generated. Imagine a new Ozzy or Dokken album with vocals that sound like Ozzy or Don in their heyday.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sirhemlock Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:34 pm

15 minute long opus in the style of Yes.

https://www.udio.com/songs/eVfTyAFAC6zyc6VkpDgZNm
sirhemlock
sirhemlock
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:40 am

I actually like this perspective alot. AI as a means to push artists to be better than they are. Plus there's the added bonus of artists becoming irritated, and those feelings usually translate well into metal Razz

Over the past few weeks someone has been uploading AI generated songs on spotify under the names of lots of power metal bands. both famous and lesser known. So I kind of hope the effect described above will result in better material
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Black Rider and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down