The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Stop the Bleeding a thrash album?

+8
Black Rider
Pethead
TZ75
Raegoul
MagnusPrime
Dustofyears
StevenCressler
seth
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is Stop the Bleeding a thrash album? Empty Is Stop the Bleeding a thrash album?

Post by seth Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:32 am

It usually seems to be labeled as such, but to me it almost sounds more like traditional/speed metal or something like that than thrash. Haven’t ever really heard anything truly like it anywhere else, so I’m not really sure how to categorize it, if it even can be categorized
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Is Stop the Bleeding a thrash album? Empty Re: Is Stop the Bleeding a thrash album?

Post by StevenCressler Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:08 am

seth wrote:It usually seems to be labeled as such, but to me it almost sounds more like traditional/speed metal or something like that than thrash. Haven’t ever really heard anything truly like it anywhere else, so I’m not really sure how to categorize it, if it even can be categorized
The genre it belongs to is called "Tourniquet metal". This draws influence from thrash, speed, trad, neoclassical, death, doom, soft rock, grunge, groove, country, cheerleaders, cats, symphonic, funk, 6th graders, creaky doors, hair, footstep noises, etc.

Last edited by StevenCressler on Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Pethead, BaleMaster, Dustofyears, MagnusPrime, Second Wind and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Is Stop the Bleeding a thrash album? Empty Re: Is Stop the Bleeding a thrash album?

Post by Dustofyears Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:20 am

TQT, in particular the first 3 albums for this big kid, are in a class of their own. I agree with Steven when he says it's "Tourniquet metal" an apt description (to me meaning it's not here nor there, but there's plenty of this and that). That album has NWBHM/thrash/speed/doom/tourniquet in it.

There really is no other band that sounds like Tourniquet and if they do, you know where they got their sound from.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:36 am

Yeah STB is fairly unique. Even among Tourniquet albums.

The closest I've heard to that "Stop The Bleeding" sound are Annihilator's first 2 albums.

They even have the eccentric/quirky thing going on, albeit to a lesser degree.

Riot's albums with Tony Moore's crazy falsetto vocals - Thundertseel (1988), The Privilege Of Power (1990) and Immortal Soul (2011) - are also in a similar vein. To me at least.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

gunz1977, TZ75 and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:28 am

Yes
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Temple of Blood, Pethead, Ammocas, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:16 am

I think it lays somewhere between power metal and thrash. Sort of like the s/t Metal Church album. There is definitely a Slayer influence (Ark of Suffering) and flashy Annihilator type stuff.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:23 am

The riffs are thrash, but the sound overall is pretty unique. Thrash Tourniquet-style.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider, Dustofyears, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:30 am

Pethead wrote:The riffs are thrash, but the sound overall is pretty unique. Thrash Tourniquet-style.
Like most of the early thrash bands, it's thrash with it's own stamp.  Megadeth didn't sound like Testament who didn't sound like Exodus etc.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead, Son of Nun and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:52 am

Black Rider wrote:
Pethead wrote:The riffs are thrash, but the sound overall is pretty unique. Thrash Tourniquet-style.
Like most of the early thrash bands, it's thrash with it's own stamp.  Megadeth didn't sound like Testament who didn't sound like Exodus etc.
Except that Tourniquet weren't Early. In fact, they were quite late. Most thrash bands (or any genre) that come after the innovators usually sound like a mixture of the motherships or imitate for the most part. Tourniquet have influences but even after all was said and done by Slayer, Metallica, Exodus, Anthrax, Sacrifice, etc years before, TQT come out in 1990 with their own original sound.

Last edited by Dustofyears on Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75, Son of Nun, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:59 am

(Anything goes) thrash.

Left-field metal.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:43 am

I would say STB is primarily a speed metal album. Maybe a progressive speed metal or something. They do have a page on ProgArchives.com, who are notoriously snooty about what bands qualify as progressive.
https://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=12138

Between 1987 and 1990, there was a specific sound that had developed in speed metal that bands like Judas Priest, Riot, Manilla Road, Toxik, Realm, Mekong Delta and others were experimenting with. They all had crazy high-pitched vocals over technical, yet melodic metal. I think STB was Tourniquet's unique take on that movement before they moved on to a more thrash-oriented style.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Dustofyears, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:16 am

Yes.  Thrash is a versatile genre.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Pethead, Ammocas, MagnusPrime and Raegoul like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:48 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:I would say STB is primarily a speed metal album. Maybe a progressive speed metal or something. They do have a page on ProgArchives.com, who are notoriously snooty about what bands qualify as progressive.

Between 1987 and 1990, there was a specific sound that had developed in speed metal that bands like Judas Priest, Riot, Manilla Road, Toxik, Realm, Mekong Delta and others were experimenting with. They all had crazy high-pitched vocals over technical, yet melodic metal. I think STB was Tourniquet's unique take on that movement before they moved on to a more thrash-oriented style.
Judas Priest Pain killer describes what you mention here.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:58 pm

Dustofyears wrote:
MagnusPrime wrote:I would say STB is primarily a speed metal album. Maybe a progressive speed metal or something. They do have a page on ProgArchives.com, who are notoriously snooty about what bands qualify as progressive.

Painkiller is probably the closest non-TQT song I’ve heard to the music on StB
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:18 pm

seth wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

Nah.  King Diamond is closer to StB.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

seth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:20 pm

Yeah I’ve heard that comparison a lot, I said the closest “that I’ve heard” though. King Diamond’s occult/satanic themes are enough to keep me from listening to his music
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:31 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
seth wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

Nah.  King Diamond is closer to StB.
I hear it in the vocals, especially the chorus, that mixed with King diamond. But anyway What MagnusPrime was describing sums up Pain killer pretty well, which, for whatever it's worth, came out the same year as STP.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:33 pm

The main similarity with KD is in the vocals. 

Painkliller is closer, but StB has thrashier riffs overall.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:33 pm

seth wrote:Yeah I’ve heard that comparison a lot, I said the closest “that I’ve heard” though. King Diamond’s occult/satanic themes are enough to keep me from listening to his music
I wanted to get into King diamond but just can't get past the vocals. Same with the first TQT album.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:39 pm

I have heard a few songs from a band called Dark Night, which has been described as a King Diamond ripoff/copycat band. Other than high pitched vocals, it sounded nothing like StB
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:48 pm

seth wrote:I have heard a few songs from a band called Dark Night, which has been described as a King Diamond ripoff/copycat band. Other than high pitched vocals, it sounded nothing like StB
Don't be silly. Guys vocals sound Pain killer priest meets King diamond to say it doesn't is just straight up denial. Especially King's style.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:51 pm

Dustofyears wrote:
seth wrote:I have heard a few songs from a band called Dark Night, which has been described as a King Diamond ripoff/copycat band. Other than high pitched vocals, it sounded nothing like StB
Don't be silly. Guys vocals sound Pain killer priest meets King diamond to say it doesn't is just straight up denial.
I said other than the vocals, the musical style was much different
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:53 pm

Sorry, Guy doesn't sound like Rob on Painkiller.  KD sings with falsetto, like Guy.  Rob sings with head voice, using diaphragm support.

I like both styles just fine but it is a different thing.

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:54 pm

seth wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
Don't be silly. Guys vocals sound Pain killer priest meets King diamond to say it doesn't is just straight up denial.
I said other than the vocals, the musical style was much different
Man I really gotta stop skim reading. I apologize.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, seth and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:58 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:Sorry, Guy doesn't sound like Rob on Painkiller.  KD sings with falsetto, like Guy.  Rob sings with head voice, using diaphragm support.

I like big styles just fine but it is a different thing.
Guess different ears hear different things. I hear that painkiller sound when guy is inbetween head and chest mode and sounding like gonzo. That's Rob Painkiller all the way. Fro example If you listen to say, ready or not, that's not too far from pain killer musically and vocally, but perhaps not as strong as Robs attack. That mixed with King diamond. TO me anyway Smile
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next